2024 Portal

So it’s time to start moving on to next year. We obviously need bigs, so what are our chances with some of the best in the portal right now like Maxime Raynard, Cliff Omoruyi, and Brandon Garrison?

Many of our fans don’t realize that biggest barrier to landing big names in the portal may be that our head coach mostly hates recruiting big names in the portal. Bruce makes these comments all the time, but here’s an example: 

image.png

Omoruyi had us as a finalist out of HS, so maybe there’s something there. But, St John’s is seen as the heavy favorite - he’s a local kid and may want to stay local. Given interest and how hard it is to find elite bigs, I would expect his price to be among the highest in the portal. 

Just impossible to know at this very moment; it’s a good question to ask, but you probably won’t get informed takes one way or the other for a bit here. The programs that already have commits either had their seasons ended already or had wide open gaping holes they were looking to fill from day 1 (ex. Alabama already has a guard commit and will be down Sears next year). 

I think we’ll do the cursory “are you gone Johni?” dialogue and go from there. Realistically, they probably know what they want to do with the guards, but it may not be a 100% “let’s boot someone out” type of thing 

• 3 weeks later...

He's got Barner written all over him!!

• Haha 2

When is the deadline to enter portal? Did it already pass or May 1st?

With PG Pegues and SF Jahki Howard coming in from the portal to join Pettiford, I guess we are now just waiting to see what Broome decides to do. He needs to decide soon if we want to get another big.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AURex said:

With PG Pegues and SF Jahki Howard coming in from the portal to join Pettiford, I guess we are now just waiting to see what Broome decides to do. He needs to decide soon if we want to get another big.

Agreed, but it seems like there is no date in mind and that CBP doesn't want to push it too much publicly. Although I'm sure he feels the clock a ticking. 

https://247sports.com/college/florida-atlantic/article/johni-broome-auburn-nba-draft-2024--229487499/

Looking at this roster, with so many contributers coming back or upgrading the position, and with all the senior leadership returning, that has to weigh heavily on the opportunity to get a collegiate championship.  We should have been there this year.  I hope he returns.  When it seems like we are always 1 piece away, him staying would fill that piece this year.  Typically we will lose that guy a year too soon.  Dylan coming back was the bigger surprise to me and now I'm salivating at what can happen if Broome returns.  

• Love 2

19 hours ago, AURex said:

Well, I guess CBP was thinking the same thing. 

image.png

19 hours ago, AURex said:

I haven't seen anything on this guy. Am I missing a thread somewhere?

17 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I haven't seen anything on this guy. Am I missing a thread somewhere?

He will be incoming freshman not from the portal 

saying it again for the eleventy billionth time … we need at least one knock down three point guy 

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Looking at this roster, with so many contributers coming back or upgrading the position, and with all the senior leadership returning, that has to weigh heavily on the opportunity to get a collegiate championship.  We should have been there this year.  I hope he returns.  When it seems like we are always 1 piece away, him staying would fill that piece this year.  Typically we will lose that guy a year too soon.  Dylan coming back was the bigger surprise to me and now I'm salivating at what can happen if Broome returns.  

I love your optimism, but we were good guard play away from going very far in the tourney this year and have lost three of those guards plus J. Williams. Some unproven pieces are all going to have to fall into place for AU to make a run next season.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

I love your optimism, but we were good guard play away from going very far in the tourney this year and have lost three of those guards plus J. Williams. Some unproven pieces are all going to have to fall into place for AU to make a run next season.

Agreed on the guard play and factoredthat into my optimism, because I already like what we have done there to improve.  JP can be relied on because he has already done it in the tourney himself.  He will be a better distributer than anyone we had last year. Denver SHOULD be more like his end of year role.  Obviously Tahaad hasn't played a collegiate game yet so we will have to see, but shooters shoot. He's one of the best high school shooters coming in.  So we will just have to see but I think we will be improved there.  Jaylin will be the biggest hole to fill by far.  I can see Bruce expanding Broome minutes to play more 4 while Cardwell is at 5 to fill that gap somewhat.  Hard to replace him fully for sure. 

• Like 1

No idea if this account is reliable but I would absolutely love this addition!!! Wooooo!!!!

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

No idea if this account is reliable but I would absolutely love this addition!!! Wooooo!!!!

Isn’t that where Broome came from (morehead st)?

Edited by TigerPAC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Isn’t that where Broome came from (morehead st)?

Yessir!!! Sure did brother!! Oh man people are going to love this… another short guard!! Don’t care kid can ball!!

IMG_7790.png

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Don't know about the account, but he is a name I've heard.

• Love 2

19 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Are we looking at any Power Forwards to sign?

Last I saw was maybe the Clemson dude.