2024 Portal

The most frustrating part in all of this is that Auburn is literally one position away from being one of the top 5 teams in the nation. If we had one of the forwards we were after we would easily be a top 5-7 team starting in the preseason. That is how close this team is in being elite. 

49 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

So I just read some very interesting things online about the reason we are struggling so much. Now, there’s no concrete evidence of this and I have no idea how valid this is, but apparently Bruce is the reason we are struggling. He provides an NIL package to the player and it’s basically a take or leave it. He doesn’t counter offer and if another team has a higher bid and the player comes back with wanting a counter offer, he apparently tells the player to go ahead and commit to the other team. Again, I have no idea how valid this is but what’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

BS. Like I said, it looks like the end when lies start to be made up about the coach. 

39 minutes ago, Lotto said:

I’ve lost faith in Bruce’s intellect over the years.  I kind of get the vibe he’s stubborn and won’t adjust.  But maybe I’m mistaken.  Thoughts?

He is still better than anything I have ever witnessed at Auburn. 

• Like 1

Just now, Auburn93 said:

BS. Like I said, it looks like the end when lies start to be made up about the coach. 

I have no idea if that is really true or not, comes from someone who is reputable though. As always, I take many things with a grain of salt when it comes to this type of stuff. However, given our NiL situation, I don’t think it’s that far fetched.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I don’t think most coaches tell portal guys they will start, that they have a “chance “ to start *wink wink*. Again, you don’t go after those type of caliber players and not start them. Chaney is a role player, nothing more, nothing less. Honestly, I think the loyalty card is what hurts Pearl sometimes, especially during games. That’s another story though. Anyways, yes, I know basketball and the guys we have been going after would have been starters here, there’s no doubt about that. You can always replace Chaney with another D2 player or someone similar. It’s difficult to find a quality PF starter though and that’s why Pearl is recruiting these top players.

Mitchell is the only one we have gone after lately that most likely would have started. Oklahoma kid chose a starting position and a bigger nil deal over being pegues backup. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I was too young to remember the ending of Sonny’s time here, but yea, if this year is any indication on what Auburn is going to do with NIL, then it’s going to be rough in the following years. It appears we will get one great portal player, a couple of good high school recruits and then fill out the rest of the roster with role players and guys who want to prove themselves while our rivals are constantly improving their roster with more better players.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1999/02/22/rookie-of-the-year-murray-state-coach-tevester-anderson-61-proves-its-never-too-late-to-begin

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Oh I don’t mean to come across as actually being depressed, my posts are tongue in cheek. I’m really just venting and surprised at how many times Pearl has struck out this year. I know how basketball recruiting is fluid by the minute, but I don’t even think I can remember a team like Auburn struggling to get quality guys. But yea, I’m not taking this all seriously, it’s just disappointing to watch. I’m ready to talk about who will start and our backups, but can’t really do that right now.

I don’t like the wording of Bruce striking out. The circumstances surrounding our roster situation and lack of nil are the main reasons why.

7 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

The most frustrating part in all of this is that Auburn is literally one position away from being one of the top 5 teams in the nation. If we had one of the forwards we were after we would easily be a top 5-7 team starting in the preseason. That is how close this team is in being elite. 

I think you are overrating Mitchell here. Yes he’s an upgrade and better than Chaney but our ideal 4 would be a j Will type who has a really good outside shot. 

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Mitchell is the only one we have gone after lately that most likely would have started. Oklahoma kid chose a starting position and a bigger nil deal over being pegues backup. 

I understand with point guard situation and we are going after backups there. It’s the forward position where it’s becoming a head-scratcher. The 3 forwards I listed would have been huge upgrades on what he have with Chaney right now. 

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think you are overrating Mitchell here. Yes he’s an upgrade and better than Chaney but our ideal 4 would be a j Will type who has a really good outside shot. 

I think Mitchell would have provided more athleticism and around the rim presence than JWill. Don’t get me wrong, I love Jaylin, but there were many times he was a no show against better teams and Broome had to pick up his slack. My number one portal forward was Achor Achor and he would have absolutely made a big difference for us. I think Mitchell would have been an upgrade or at least comparable to JWill. Now, however, it seems like that position is going to be our biggest weakness.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I think Mitchell would have provided more athleticism and around the rim presence than JWill. Don’t get me wrong, I love Jaylin, but there were many times he was a no show against better teams and Broome had to pick up his slack. My number one portal forward was Achor Achor and he would have absolutely made a big difference for us. I think Mitchell would have been an upgrade or at least comparable to JWill. Now, however, it seems like that position is going to be our biggest weakness.

Jaylin had the same problem really all of the years where he was a real contributor - it was just never consistent with him. The guy had a first team all SEC locked in if you just stopped his season at the ATM game. If you look at that second team, there’s a lot of guys on there I’d take over him once you zoom out and look at the whole year. 

I loved the guy and thought he was still our second best player overall, but I would’ve loved to have a more athletic and aggressive person, even if he was a little bit worse of a spacer. Broome apparently plans to play from the perimeter and be more of a 4 for NBA scouts anyway, so a slasher/dunker spot type of guy may not even be an overlap this year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Jaylin had the same problem really all of the years where he was a real contributor - it was just never consistent with him. The guy had a first team all SEC locked in if you just stopped his season at the ATM game. If you look at that second team, there’s a lot of guys on there I’d take over him once you zoom out and look at the whole year. 

I loved the guy and thought he was still our second best player overall, but I would’ve loved to have a more athletic and aggressive person, even if he was a little bit worse of a spacer. Broome apparently plans to play from the perimeter and be more of a 4 for NBA scouts anyway, so a slasher/dunker spot type of guy may not even be an overlap this year. 

Yea, Jaylin to me always seemed like he had the ability to be an All SEC player but he lacked confidence most of his career. He always seemed hesitant to take over or like you said, being aggressive. That’s why I wanted a Mitchell or Achor. Unfortunately, we are running out of quality forwards and might have to face the reality where Chaney is our starter.

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Can’t wait for the open tryout for the backup PG position. If I still had some college eligibility left…

Hey, I remember playing intramurals at Auburn and I think there were at least 10 guys I played against who could have played for Auburn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Guys, I have pulled up an old Bruce Pearl Thread that yall can discuss Our Current & Future Coaching situation on please.   Thank you.

Cause there's so many portal players we're getting to talk about instead...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Cause there's so many portal players we're getting to talk about instead...

That’s a good one, made me laugh, as well as be a little sad at the harsh reality that we really have no portal players to talk about now. The only two I know of are Hudson and Miles Kelly. Hudson is probably begging the staff to come here and Pearl is looking at all of his options at Forward. I’ve resigned to the fact the final two spots will be from the JUCO ranks.

• Like 2

There is one thing I know from 42 years in the small business world, and that is you can only go so big in hiring the new guy when jobs are fluid. You are not just giving a big raise to one guy. You had better make sure most of the others are happy, too. Some can see this as being "stubborn". Other see it as proper payroll management.  You work with what you have. Maybe that's what BP is doing. Maybe he's stubborn and set in his ways. 

I don't pretend to know either way. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

In saying that, someone who is reputable on one of the boards just stated that Hudson should be committing soon. Sigh….

Edited by AUSCalum87

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

There is one thing I know from 42 years in the small business world, and that is you can only go so big in hiring the new guy when jobs are fluid. You are not just giving a big raise to one guy. You had better make sure most of the others are happy, too. Some can see this as being "stubborn". Other see it as proper payroll management.  You work with what you have. Maybe that's what BP is doing. Maybe he's stubborn and set in his ways. 

I don't pretend to know either way. 

I guess, but being involved in sports my whole life, I guess I’m more of the mindset in bringing in competition to make everyone better and not being always being loyal to guys who have been here but don’t really provide any competitive advantage on the floor. Maybe that’s a harsh outlook but it works for a lot of teams and it’s why many teams, like UCONN, have a core group of 3/4 and the rest of their players are portal guys. Always try to improve your roster and not being scared of running the ones coming back, who are loyal but don’t bring much else to the table.

So many saying Chaney Johnson is not an SEC starter. I think they are only looking at Chaney at beginning of season. He averaged just under 5 points per game which is not fair as first half of season we did not run any plays through him. After Jaylin got hurt his production went up. 

With more minutes I can see him averaging 10-12 a game and 8 boards a game. Plus he is a solid defender. I think a lot of you are under estimating him.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

So many saying Chaney Johnson is not an SEC starter. I think they are only looking at Chaney at beginning of season. He averaged just under 5 points per game which is not fair as first half of season we did not run any plays through him. After Jaylin got hurt his production went up. 

With more minutes I can see him averaging 10-12 a game and 8 boards a game. Plus he is a solid defender. I think a lot of you are under estimating him.

Can he improve? Sure, not saying that he can’t. But that’s not what Auburn needs, a “serviceable” forward as your starter. It’s why he would be a good backup. In essence, if you are starting for a top SEC program like Auburn, you need to have some kind of skill that elevates or complements the other starting 4 players. Chaney doesn’t really do anything to do that. Basically, if he’s the starter, then that will mean the backup will be below average. That’s not a winning combination.

Edited by AUSCalum87

Just now, AUSCalum87 said:

I guess, but being involved in sports my whole life, I guess I’m more of the mindset in bringing in competition to make everyone better and not being always being loyal to guys who have been here but don’t really provide any competitive advantage on the floor. Maybe that’s a harsh outlook but it works for a lot of teams and it’s why many teams, like UCONN, have a core group of 3/4 and the rest of their players are portal guys. Always try to improve your roster and not being scared of running the ones coming back, who are loyal but don’t bring much else to the table.

Everyone I know that I think are knowledgeable in basketball are happy with 3-5 players on our roster and are excited about the two newcomers. Some think that Cheney could actually be better next year after being acclimated to playing in the SEC. A lot of these guys played for a championship team last year, and the coach probably wants to keep them. We'll see. I have seen BPs coaching for a good while and I trust in his judgement in this stupid crazy era. You may be correct in everything you say. 

We'll see.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Can he improve? Sure, not saying that he can’t. But that’s not what Auburn needs, a “serviceable” forward as your starter. It’s why he would be a good backup. In essence, if you are starting for a top SEC program like Auburn, you need to have some kind of skill that elevates or compliments the other starting 4 players. Chaney doesn’t really do anything to do that. Basically, if he’s the starter, then that will mean the backup will be below average. That’s not a winning combination.

He shot 50% from the field, he boards, blocks shots, plays defense. His one start he put up great numbers. I think he is more then servicable. Only area he needs to improve is his 3 point shot.

Denver, Pegeus, Broome, and CBM can all score getting 8-12 from Chaney and some bench points should be enough.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Everyone I know that I think are knowledgeable in basketball are happy with 3-5 players on our roster and are excited about the two newcomers. Some think that Cheney could actually be better next year after being acclimated to playing in the SEC. A lot of these guys played for a championship team last year, and the coach probably wants to keep them. We'll see. I have seen BPs coaching for a good while and I trust in his judgement in this stupid crazy era. You may be correct in everything you say. 

We'll see.

So the starting 5 as of now would be Pegues, Denver, CBM, Chaney and Broome. The backups would be Pettiford, CMo, Jakhi and Cardwell. So there’s a glaring weakness at the PF position with Chaney starting that would be easily exploited by good teams. Having only one backup guard who will be a true freshman is not ideal as well. Again, I know those final two spots will be filled. The question is will the spots be filled with quality guys or just role fillers and we’re back to where we’ve been wondering why we struggle in the NCAA tournament?

As of right now, only having 3 capable guards is a disaster. And then Chaney will be a liability as a starter. In basketball, one or two players can make a world of a difference and that’s where Auburn is right now with these last two spots.

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He shot 50% from the field, he boards, blocks shots, plays defense. His one startvhe put up great numbers. I think he is more then servicable. Only area he needs to improve is his 3 point shot.

Denver Jones is who I would say started to improve drastically towards the last 2 months of the year and it’s why I’m excited to see him this year. Chaney didn’t do much and was really inconsistent towards the end of the year, he was a complete no show against Yale and not much in the SEC tournament. Heck, I think he was at one point getting less minutes than CMo. 

Again, I’m not disagreeing that Chaney can’t improve. I just don’t think his improvement will be enough to be in a starter role. 

• Like 1