2024 Portal

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The tone of this thread does not reflect reality!!! 😂😂 

Yea, I saw that and that’s very high praise but I don’t know how much I agree with it. Especially not having Arkansas and Kentucky higher. I’ll take all of the positive news I can get though!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The tone of this forum does not reflect reality!!! 😂😂 

FTFY

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

FTFY

Amen!!! You would think we lost our whole starting 5 and replaced them with D3 players…

• Like 2
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Yea, I saw that and that’s very high praise but I don’t know how much I agree with it. Especially not having Arkansas and Kentucky higher. I’ll take all of the positive news I can get though!

To be fair you always seem to lean NEGA barner. You focus on what we don’t have and not what we do have. We have a really good basketball team for next year. Yah got to let your “perfect” starting 5 go man. The reality is We aren't a blue blood and our lack of nil reflects that which is why it’s been tougher for us to find our last 2 rotation players.

• Like 2

I think that ranking/list makes some sense with Sears appearing to be a draft guy now. Really the tiers make sense to me. You’d have Bama and Auburn tier 1, A&M and Tenn tier 2, and I think Ole Miss, Kentucky, Florida and Ark all share “high potential, medium floor”. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

To be fair you always seem to lean NEGA barner. You focus on what we don’t have and not what we do have. We have a really good basketball team for next year. Yah got to let your “perfect” starting 5 go man. The reality is We aren't a blue blood and our lack of nil reflects that which is why it’s been tougher for us to find our last 2 rotation players.

Everyone needs to listen or read national threads or even opposition threads ( non conference ) to find out what others say. I actually heard a CBB analyst say that since Pearl made AU relevant on a national level, AU fans are the toughest critics . 

Note, one more time, since BP made AU relevant on a national level..... 

This is an XM station, and as a long time AU basketball fan, I agree. 100%

Note. BP is not infallible. He can and does make mistakes. There actually may be a better coach out there for AU. 

Just saying before people start arguing......😆

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I apologize if I come across as being negative. I guess I feel like il being more realistic as well as I used to play basketball so I’m more critical than others. I also feel like this year might be our best year to do something special in the postseason. We have almost all of the pieces you need to make a run. If we get Miles Kelly, I’ll probably readjust my expectations, because he brings a different element to our team. As for the rankings, I will agree with it if we get Miles Kelly or someone similar and if Sears doesn’t come back for UAT. 

I will say this though and hopefully I will be considered being a more positive fan, 🤣. The one thing I believe that separates Auburn from the rest of teams in the SEC is that we aren’t completely overturning our roster and we have a solid core of guys that have been in the program for more than 1 year. Look at Broome’s progression from Year 1 to Year 2. I do believe CBM and Denver can make similar progress in their games being in the same system for a second straight year. Then you have the glue guys with Chaney, CMo and Dylan. So that’s 5 players who already have experience playing with each other and that to me is as important if not more than just getting a bunch of talented players who have never played with each other. In that regard, I believe Auburn has a huge advantage over other SEC teams.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Everyone needs to listen or read national threads or even opposition threads ( non conference ) to find out what others say. I actually heard a CBB analyst say that since Pearl made AU relevant on a national level, AU fans are the toughest critics . 

Note, one more time, since BP made AU relevant on a national level..... 

This is an XM station, and as a long time AU basketball fan, I agree. 100%

Note. BP is not infallible. He can and does make mistakes. There actually may be a better coach out there for AU. 

Just saying before people start arguing......😆

I listen to a lot of college basketball podcasts and critics and most of them are very complimentary towards Auburn. People who actually follow college basketball and haven’t just become fans in the past 3-4 years (cough UAT sidewalk fans, cough) realize what Pearl has done at Auburn is nothing short of a miracle. He literally inherited probably the worst power 5 team you could imagine. The only valid criticisms I have heard is his struggles in the postseason. Outside of our Final 4 run, we’ve never been past the first weekend in the NCAA tournament. And before this year, we hadn’t won a game in the SEC tournament since 2019. He’s done great for the most part in the regular season for the past 6 years given the talent differential compared to our rivals. But yes, Auburn for the most part gets a lot of respect in the national media. I think what is happening with Auburn fans, and I’m guilty of it, is how UAT has been doing during these past few years. Both programs have been the same in the regular season but the postseason they have been more successful and that frustrates me as an Auburn fan. That’s why I’m hoping Auburn does better this year and get the best guys because I feel like this is the closest Auburn has had as a team to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think that ranking/list makes some sense with Sears appearing to be a draft guy now. Really the tiers make sense to me. You’d have Bama and Auburn tier 1, A&M and Tenn tier 2, and I think Ole Miss, Kentucky, Florida and Ark all share “high potential, medium floor”. 

We will know more about every team this time next week, after the deadline has passed for players to take their names out of the draft or to stay in. That’s when most of the quality players will commit to teams and we will see close to full rosters. With this list, this has been the highest rank I’ve seen for Auburn. Again though, it really depends on one player for each team. We get Miles Kelly and Sears stays in the draft, I’ll agree that Auburn is the top team. But if Auburn doesn’t fill the last spot with a quality player and Sears comes back, they become number one and Auburn drops to 4-5.

• Like 2

I’m still pissed about missing Achor Achor & Dillon Mitchell at the 4. I think both of those guys could’ve taken us to a different level. I’m also still pissed that we couldn’t land Jordan Ivy-Curry, Duke Miles, or Labaron Philon as the backup PG. 

But… Miles Kelly does intrigue me. I think we would see a 4-guard lineup with Broome for most games. We would be big at most spots with exception being the 4. We could always put Broome & Cardwell in together against bigger teams inside. The overall lineup could be very versatile. 

Chaney Johnson is still the wildcard. I preferred him coming off the bench again this year. He improved (especially toward the end of the year), but I’m not convinced that he can stay out of foul trouble. 

Even though I would still rather have a true backup PG and a true 4, I think this would solidify us as a top 10 team and give us an opportunity to compete for a National Championship. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I’m still pissed about missing Achor Achor & Dillon Mitchell at the 4. I think both of those guys could’ve taken us to a different level. I’m also still pissed that we couldn’t land Jordan Ivy-Curry, Duke Miles, or Labaron Philon as the backup PG. 

But… Miles Kelly does intrigue me. I think we would see a 4-guard lineup with Broome for most games. We would be big at most spots with exception being the 4. We could always put Broome & Cardwell in together against bigger teams inside. The overall lineup could be very versatile. 

Chaney Johnson is still the wildcard. I preferred him coming off the bench again this year. He improved (especially toward the end of the year), but I’m not convinced that he can stay out of foul trouble. 

Even though I would still rather have a true backup PG and a true 4, I think this would solidify us as a top 10 team and give us an opportunity to compete for a National Championship. 

I’m right there with you with all of the players we have missed out on in the portal. However, there’s nothing we can do about it but to move on. 
As for Miles Kelly, if we get him, I’ve stated previously that that will allow Pearl to have a more versatile lineup and put more of our best players on the court at the same time. Again, it is what it is at the PF, but if we get someone like Kelly, than that could mask our issues at the 4.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

That’s a fake account, not Broome’s. Also, the account they retweeted is a UAT fan. They have done this throughout the portal season. Whenever Auburn is favored for a portal player, they post ridiculous tweets like that as if they have inside information but in reality they are trying to hurt Auburn. But yes, both of those accounts are ran by UAT fans.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

That’s a fake account, not Broome’s. Also, the account they retweeted is a UAT fan. They have done this throughout the portal season. Whenever Auburn is favored for a portal player, they post ridiculous tweets like that as if they have inside information but in reality they are trying to hurt Auburn. But yes, both of those accounts are ran by UAT fans.

Some people have way too much time on their hands for these type of shenanigans.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

Some people have way too much time on their hands for these type of shenanigans.  

Yea, I am on twitter and follow a lot of national basketball insiders and Auburn fans and insiders who follow Auburn basketball. You just have to be careful on who to follow. I just look at how many followers they have and what their posts are like and if they have been accurate. Those two make it so obvious that they are not Auburn fans nor insiders and they get so defensive when they are called out for their posts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Don't sleep on MSU either.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Amen!!! You would think we lost our whole starting 5 and replaced them with D3 players…

What!? It's the opposite. We have such strong building blocks, that adding the right pieces can change our ceiling from a tourney team to Elite-8 or potentially Final Four territory (assuming we don't fall asleep again in the 1st round). Can you really fault fans for being fans and wanting a shot when only a couple of pieces can make up that difference? 

I haven't been able to look into Miles yet....how is he as a spot up 3-shooter? He definitely sounds like a good addition to the guard rotation and Pettiford is probably a good enough back up 1. Maybe this addition gets us closer to a Sweet 16 type ceiling that we probably had last year, but I guess we'll see.

So much of it depends on Chaney taking the next step and Pegues being the answer at PG (improved playmaking, shooting, and getting into the paint). If Pegues can get into the paint and finish or pass like Sharife or even like Jared Harper, then that's a huge missing piece. I think Pettiford helps with the finishing part as well and should work on the playmaking if he dreams of making it at the next level. 

image.gif

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

What!? It's the opposite. We have such strong building blocks, that adding the right pieces can change our ceiling from a tourney team to Elite-8 or potentially Final Four territory (assuming we don't fall asleep again in the 1st round). Can you really fault fans for being fans and wanting a shot when only a couple of pieces can make up that difference? 

Yea, I think sometimes, especially over the internet, differing opinions can be lost in translation. As you pointed out, and I have stated as well, we are one two players away from being a title contender. It was why I was disappointed with the Hudson commit and hopeful that we get someone like Miles Kelly. 4 of the starting 5 could go toe to toe with anyone in the country. But it appears that when someone states that, it comes across as saying we have a horrible team and that’s not what we’re saying at all, far from it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NCAubs said:

The drive thru at McDonalds has lulls from time to time so they take advantage of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Update on Miles Kelly from Jay G Tate: States that Kelly to Auburn is pretty much a done deal. He talked to a friend of his who follows Georgia Tech and didn’t have really positive things to say about him. Stated that Kelly struggled with a new system and isn’t a main option, he’s a good 3rd or fourth option. Stated his defense was lackluster but is a good rebounder. Said that he’s not a good shooter. 

I will note though that although Kelly’s numbers did drop some last year, he had like 8-9 games scoring over 20 points and multiple double digit point games. He’s not a primary ball handler but we wouldn’t ask of him to do that. If you look at his sophomore year he was more efficient. He might have had a difficult time adjusting to his new role and new system with Damon. However, he still averaged 14 ppg. I think this guy was a little too harsh on him. 

I forgot to add that he injured his back last year as well, which probably contributed to his efficiency in his shot.

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

I haven't been able to look into Miles yet....how is he as a spot up 3-shooter? He definitely sounds like a good addition to the guard rotation and Pettiford is probably a good enough back up 1. Maybe this addition gets us closer to a Sweet 16 type ceiling that we probably had last year, but I guess we'll see.

So much of it depends on Chaney taking the next step and Pegues being the answer at PG (improved playmaking, shooting, and getting into the paint). If Pegues can get into the paint and finish or pass like Sharife or even like Jared Harper, then that's a huge missing piece. I think Pettiford helps with the finishing part as well and should work on the playmaking if he dreams of making it at the next level. 

image.gif

2 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Yea, I think sometimes, especially over the internet, differing opinions can be lost in translation. As you pointed out, and I have stated as well, we are one two players away from being a title contender. It was why I was disappointed with the Hudson commit and hopeful that we get someone like Miles Kelly. 4 of the starting 5 could go toe to toe with anyone in the country. But it appears that when someone states that, it comes across as saying we have a horrible team and that’s not what we’re saying at all, far from it.

It’s because it’s usually nothing but negativity or gripes or worry or whatever you want to phrase it on who we don’t have and not excited about who we do have. There’s lots of factors that went in to why we couldn’t thread the needle and get a on paper zero holes and weakness's roster.

For one thing we are still at the end of the day new to this whole sustained excellence in a big 3 sport. Auburn basketball 🏀 brand is still mainly contingent on how long Bruce wants to deal with this nil nonsense that he doesn’t get nearly enough help with from the people that matter at AU. It’s got to be old to YES I agree be 1 or 2 quality rotation players away (especially at the 4 and a backup veteran PG) from truly on paper elite roster construction and seemingly not get any help. I mean really? We couldn’t outbid Oklahoma a school who has never cared about basketball that much and cincy? Bruce has to be losing his mind. But it goes to show you how morbid our nil situation is. So it’s made me more realistic on what to hope and expect each season in high school and portal recruiting. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s because it’s usually nothing but negativity or gripes or worry or whatever you want to phrase it on who we don’t have and not excited about who we do have. There’s lots of factors that went in to why we couldn’t thread the needle and get a on paper zero holes and weakness's roster.

For one thing we are still at the end of the day new to this whole sustained excellence in a big 3 sport. Auburn basketball 🏀 brand is still mainly contingent on how long Bruce wants to deal with this nil nonsense that he doesn’t get nearly enough help with from the people that matter at AU. It’s got to be old to YES I agree be 1 or 2 quality rotation players away (especially at the 4 and a backup veteran PG) from truly on paper elite roster construction and seemingly not get any help. I mean really? We couldn’t outbid Oklahoma a school who has never cared about basketball that much and Oklahoma? Bruce has to be losing his mind. But it goes to show you how morbid our nil situation is. So it’s made me more realistic on what to hope and expect each season in high school and portal recruiting. 

I understand what you are saying, and again, I don’t mean to come across as being negative. I also understand our NIL situation and can’t imagine how frustrating it has to be for Pearl. I realize we have a good roster and we just need that last star player to make it a contender. How, Kelly isn’t a star per se but he’s a great option to have in my opinion and makes us a contender.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I apologize if I come across as being negative. I guess I feel like il being more realistic as well as I used to play basketball so I’m more critical than others. I also feel like this year might be our best year to do something special in the postseason. We have almost all of the pieces you need to make a run. If we get Miles Kelly, I’ll probably readjust my expectations, because he brings a different element to our team. As for the rankings, I will agree with it if we get Miles Kelly or someone similar and if Sears doesn’t come back for UAT. 

I will say this though and hopefully I will be considered being a more positive fan, 🤣. The one thing I believe that separates Auburn from the rest of teams in the SEC is that we aren’t completely overturning our roster and we have a solid core of guys that have been in the program for more than 1 year. Look at Broome’s progression from Year 1 to Year 2. I do believe CBM and Denver can make similar progress in their games being in the same system for a second straight year. Then you have the glue guys with Chaney, CMo and Dylan. So that’s 5 players who already have experience playing with each other and that to me is as important if not more than just getting a bunch of talented players who have never played with each other. In that regard, I believe Auburn has a huge advantage over other SEC teams.

I agree except you are too hard on Chaney he’s not a glue guy.  He’s got a higher ceiling than Williams imo

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

We also don’t know how much we are paying Hudson.  It could be very little and a quality 11 for all we know 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

We will know more about every team this time next week, after the deadline has passed for players to take their names out of the draft or to stay in. That’s when most of the quality players will commit to teams and we will see close to full rosters. With this list, this has been the highest rank I’ve seen for Auburn. Again though, it really depends on one player for each team. We get Miles Kelly and Sears stays in the draft, I’ll agree that Auburn is the top team. But if Auburn doesn’t fill the last spot with a quality player and Sears comes back, they become number one and Auburn drops to 4-5.

At least based on what we currently know of them, I definitely don’t love the idea of having Denver and Tahaad be the backup 1, esp if Pearl does his thing with everyone playing around 15-25 mins. Depending on who’s around them though, I think you can make it do something close to work. I’d probably guess all of those minutes are with either Broome or Chad, so you have other stalwarts to run plays around. It’d probably be almost entirely set plays to reduce the reads. I just don’t know what Pettiford is yet and Denver was not the best driver I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1