Who is the best Auburn fb coach in history ?

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

I understand it’s a different game today but we agree on Bowden and can you imagine what he could do on Saturdays with the talent Freeze is collecting? 

IMG_1248.gif

Over the hill now. The modern game has gotten past him. Look at his career post-Auburn.

19 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Over the hill now. The modern game has gotten past him. Look at his career post-Auburn.

At AU, Terry Bowden was the best game day, play calling coach we've had. Obviously, other aspects of running a program were/are his downfall.

• Like 5

On 4/30/2024 at 10:31 AM, TexasTiger said:

The deck was stacked toward Alabama during Shug’s era— we beat them in 1972, both teams lose one sec game, they win the SEC because they beat Vandy & Kentucky and had one more SEC game than us.

Yep. Back then Bear Bryant would schedule a weak SEC school who was not on that year's conference schedule as a non-conference opponent. Every time the SEC office would tell Bear he could schedule them, but they did not count towards the SEC record. Then Bryant would demand the SEC office crown Bama as SEC champions or else he would take Bama independent. Realize back then there were a lot of independent schools. Then the SEC office would cave every damn time. This was an era of limited TV, and Bama was the SEC's cash cow for TV revenue.

I would say Dye is #1, Shug is #2, Tubbs is #3. You have to include Chiz because he won the natty, so he is #4. I would put Gus at #5.

Shug and Dye defined Auburn football. Going to Auburn in the mid to late 1980s was something else. We should have won the natty in 1983. We were very close in 1988, but lost to LSU in the Earthquake Game (I was there). Had we won that game, we would have faced Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl for the natty.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 11:35 AM, Mikey said:

At AU, Terry Bowden was the best game day, play calling coach we've had. Obviously, other aspects of running a program were/are his downfall.

That is a really good point. What he was able to do was amazing.

Nix to Sanders in the Iron Bowl. That moment was as big as Punt Bama Punt.

Edited by meh130
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

That is a really good point. What he was able to do was amazing.

Nix to Sanders in the Iron Bowl. That moment was as big as Punt Bama Punt.

I'd add his wins against Florida in '93 and '94. I don't think we've had another coach who could have called those games and come out with wins.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'd add his wins against Florida in '93 and '94. I don't think we've had another coach who could have called those games and come out with wins.

The 94 UF game is one of the best road games I ever went to.

• Like 1