Who is the best Auburn fb coach in history ?

I swiped this since it is slow.

Pat Dye 4 SEC titles.
Tuberville was good.
Chizik only coach ever to win a national title and not have a winning record.

Can't be Shug Jordan he won 1 SEC title in 25 years as head coach. When he did win it in 57 Auburn was on probation and did not even play in a bowl game.

Personally I think it is Coach Dye. what about you folks?

Mike Donohue, Shug Jordan, Pat Dye. Take your pick. All were great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Pat Dye 4 SEC titles.
Tuberville was good.

Can't be Shug Jordan he won 1 SEC title in 25 years as head coach. When he did win it in 57 Auburn was on probation and did not even play in a bowl game.

The deck was stacked toward Alabama during Shug’s era— we beat them in 1972, both teams lose one sec game, they win the SEC because they beat Vandy & Kentucky and had one more SEC game than us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't care what you say Shug cause he's my frat brother................................

He turned the program around from the lowest lows. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

He turned the program around from the lowest lows. 

So much I could say about those times but you so right............

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Pat Dye 4 SEC titles.
Tuberville was good.

Love coach Dye but he never won a natty plus got us on probation. Shug hands down

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Love coach Dye but he never won a natty plus got us on probation. Shug hands down

Shug: Natty while on probation. Like a boss.

• Like 2

Coach Dye- he changed the trajectory of Auburn football- he never viewed Auburn as little brother to bammer. The  80’s were the glory years for Auburn football. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Dshep4au said:

Coach Dye- he changed the trajectory of Auburn football- he never viewed Auburn as little brother to bammer. The  80’s were the glory years for Auburn football. 

He had the benefit of coming in while Bear was on the way out. Shug dealt with his heyday.

44 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Just for a counterpoint one can argue that Shug got us on probation twice and Dye was somewhat cheated out of a NC on 1983. They are kind of 1a and 1b. 

Edit: Shug had one probation

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Just for a counterpoint one can argue that Shug got us on probation twice and Dye was somewhat cheated out of a NC on 1983. They are kind of 1a and 1b. 

Edit: Shug had one probation

Numnuts said with peace 

• Haha 1

Coach Dye. 

• Like 1

Way too subjective. Partially unfair because some of us weren’t even born during some of these coaches tenure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

So much I could say about those times but you so right............

Carl

• Like 1

5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hoping someone would catch my lob

I caught it instantly but I was about 5 hours late to the party. 

Spoiler

• Haha 1

My top 3:

1. Dye

2. Shug 

3. Hear me out before you criticize this one… Gus.

I think the first two speak for themselves. As for Gus… He was fizzling out before he was let go. Partially, it to a fall off in recruiting after Kirby was hired. But he also was a little stagnant at times in letting his offense evolve. (Albeit, I feel like he gets a little more flack on this than is realistic. He did make some changes to his passing game, especially after Chip Lindsey was hired.) And his last few years, he was over-substituting, which tended to telegraph what play we were about to call.  

HOWEVER, he put a ton of guys in the NFL. He ran a clean program that kept players from getting into too much trouble. Including his OC years, he had us on 3 SEC championships and 2 natties within a decade. His win percentage was on par with other great Auburn coaches. He had a pretty even record against Saban. And oh yeah, he did all this with our biggest rivals(s) having unprecedented success. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 8

Dye brought the Iron Bowl to Auburn and put us on top of the conference. He made Auburn a team people expected to see in the polls every year. Shug, I can get the argument for. He was a great man and as great a representative of Auburn as they come. 

Outside of those two, only Tuberville deserves to be in the conversation in my mind. Chizik got us a championship, but I can't help but feel he started us on a path that now has us scrambling to catch up with the Mississippi schools rather than expecting to beat Georgia or Alabama every year. Gus aggravated the situation and Harsin punched the accelerator right into the wall. 

I just hope we get another candidate in the years to come. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

He had the benefit of coming in while Bear was on the way out. Shug dealt with his heyday.

Same could be said of Tommy's record without having to deal with Saban.  It took a lot more to compete once Saban had it going.  I actually place Gus ahead of Chizik simply because I don't believe we win that championship without Gus being OC. 

• Like 2