Who has been more disappointing so far

sntemp

I expected both of them to be huge performers this year but so far nothing. It's early and they both have some time to make up for their slow start, hopefull they will do just that.

After being so dependable last year Courtney has dropped several catchable balls so far this year.

I would say neither. I may be mistaken, but Courtney Taylor has caught every "catchable" ball thrown his way. The problem is they have not thrown to him as much as last year.

McClover didn't start last Saturday, so I am expecting that to get his attention big time. Hopefully he will step up and be the player that the coaches expect him to be and he wants to be.

"I may be mistaken, but Courtney Taylor has caught every "catchable" ball thrown his way"

I think you are because I know in the MS game he had 2 passes that seemed very catchable. I have seen the game twice now and both times I had to look twice to make sure it was Courtney.

As for McClover, once he did get in he didn't do a whole lot.

tuberville said on the auburn review last night that he's been missing some catches in games and practice and that his concentration seems off.

"I may be mistaken, but Courtney Taylor has caught every "catchable" ball thrown his way"

I think you are because I know in the MS game he had 2 passes that seemed very catchable. I have seen the game twice now and both times I had to look twice to make sure it was Courtney.

I would say neither.  I may be mistaken, but Courtney Taylor has caught every "catchable" ball thrown his way.  The problem is they have not thrown to him as much as last year.

180542[/snapback]

Incase you don't remember, he dropped a huge pass with no one on him in the GT game. I believe soonafter Brandon threw an interception or we lost on 4 downs. Possible we punted, but I think it was right before his first INT.

CTT has even said CT hasn't been focusing and they need to work on that. I'm not suprised with Stanley. My buddy and I (I have to admit he said it first tho) both predicted he'd flop this year, but I guess he has been down due to injury (but I don't buy it).

CT will come around if it's just a matter of concentration. If the coaches were dogging him for not working hard, I'd be worried. But if a concentration problem is brought to his attention(sorry, I couldn't resist) he'll get that straightened out.

Stanley Mac reminds me a lot of Aundray Bruce. For those of you that didn't get to witness this guy play first hand, he was 6'6" 250 lbs. of wild man. He could take over a game from the defensive end position all by himself. See Georgia Tech game. His down side was that he was easily fooled. If you ran misdirections, reverses etc. he would get sucked in 9 times out of 10. FSU came to town one Saturday when Bowden had em' running some type of trick play every series. Bruce was sitting on the bench by the 3rd quarter because FSU turned him into a head case.

I'm not saying SM is a head case but we all know how athletically gifted the guy is. He may be missing his assignments and getting ripped by the coaches. Seriously, did anyone see him or any other end play contain against GT?

yeah, gunn figured it out by the second half. that's why he graded out the highest of all the ends. i hope we stick with the starting lineup we have right now. groves and gunn are the two most complete ends we have... probably with chris browder coming in third. browder and mcclover are solid off the bench.

i'm not necessarily disappointed in stanley. i don't think it's his fault that everyone overhyped a situation player. i mean it would be the same thing as a team employing a third down/short yardage running back who scores 10 tds in one season but never starts or has to learn any more of the offense. then suddenly the next year, he gets a chance to start, but folks are calling him a preseason all-american b/c of the tds. it would be stupid; just like all the mcclover hype was stupid. give the guy a chance to get better b/c he has a lot of talent, but he is very rough around the edges. i also partially blame the coaches for buying into his hype and the athletic department too.

as for ct, he's a touch disappointing. he never dropped balls last year. i think he pressing for big plays personally. you have a qb that is less skilled so you know opportunities may be limited. you have two highly improved, future nfl receivers making plays around you. you have tight ends and backs that are still involved in the schemes. so you'd better make the most of your catches. i think all that may be in his head a bit. i could be wrong, but it does seem like a concentration thing like other folks were saying. he'll turn it around. devin had this happen on a much grander scale his soph. year and look at him now.

CT is a VERY good FB player and a GREAT human. Whatever "problem" he may or may not have, he will get it fixed, make no mistake.

SM is a second year player that may have had too much loaded on his shoulders. I would rather have very good players that need to get over the hump than average players that are not capable of getting over the hump.

Come on gang, give 'em time and support them.

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

I could be wrong but I thought I had heard (until this game) that CT had a catch in every game he's been in...that would suck to have had that streatk end against MSU...can anyone verify?

I'm going to say SM has been more disappointing - it would be CT but we also have Ben, Devin, Mix, and Cole. I know we also have Gunn and Groves, but Groves really hasn't done anything either.

BUT I have full confidence that these two guys will have an amazing season this year :cheer:

Uh...didn't CT have about 60 yards in receptions against Tech???

:au::homer:

Good point mgf. It's not SM's or any other player's fault about the hype they received. I've yet to see him or anybody else pulling a Terrell Owens in public. Look at ME, ME, ME, ME. Guys are playing hard. If they weren't, CTT wouldn't let em' on the field, no matter who they are.

They'll get it straightened out.

yeah, gunn figured it out by the second half. that's why he graded out the highest of all the ends. i hope we stick with the starting lineup we have right now. groves and gunn are the two most complete ends we have... probably with chris browder coming in third. browder and mcclover are solid off the bench.

i'm not necessarily disappointed in stanley. i don't think it's his fault that everyone overhyped a situation player. i mean it would be the same thing as a team employing a third down/short yardage running back who scores 10 tds in one season but never starts or has to learn any more of the offense. then suddenly the next year, he gets a chance to start, but folks are calling him a preseason all-american b/c of the tds. it would be stupid; just like all the mcclover hype was stupid. give the guy a chance to get better b/c he has a lot of talent, but he is very rough around the edges. i also partially blame the coaches for buying into his hype and the athletic department too.

as for ct, he's a touch disappointing. he never dropped balls last year. i think he pressing for big plays personally. you have a qb that is less skilled so you know opportunities may be limited. you have two highly improved, future nfl receivers making plays around you. you have tight ends and backs that are still involved in the schemes. so you'd better make the most of your catches. i think all that may be in his head a bit. i could be wrong, but it does seem like a concentration thing like other folks were saying. he'll turn it around. devin had this happen on a much grander scale his soph. year and look at him now.

180601[/snapback]

damn...I agree with you again...I am going to have to go read some posts of yours in the political forums so that I can remind myself how WRONG you can be!!! :big:

Didn't I read somewhere than Stan McCLover was nursing a slight ankle sprain? If so, it's hard to go full speed on a bad tire...

180665[/snapback]

Bruised ankle.....

:au::homer:

If you judge talent on just making TDs and sacks..then you dont know the game of football.

Courtney Taylor is doing alright, Ive only seen him drop that one pass during the Georgia Tech game. Receivers will drop a pass here and there.

McClover played well during the MSU game. He really helped the effort in shutting down Norwood and their offense. This is not madden football, he will not get 4 sacks a game. He might finish the year with about 7-8 sacks.

SM was injured.

He hasnt been himself all season though.

180688[/snapback]

Is it his hamstring that was aggrivated again during spring or something new?

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg...8190.xml&coll=3

--INJURY WATCH: Defensive end Stanley McClover, limited by a bruised ankle, played only 17 snaps on Saturday.

"He probably played a few too many, but we pushed him," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said.

With two non-conference games ahead, McClover won't be hurried back to action.

The same could be said for tailback Tre Smith, who Tuberville said was "50-50" after injuring his knee in a pileup Saturday.

Nose guard Josh Thompson played sparingly against Mississippi State and will have to work back from a sprained ankle.

I'm glad someone brought up McClover's injury - I think that was why we barely (if ever) saw him in the MSU game.

I was disappointed with the DE play in general against GT - but it was much improved for the MSU game - and really think that was a coaching deal.

Therefore, CT has been my disappointment. He has 3 drops - 1 that was HUGE vs. GT. He has had a problem in the past catching the ball with his body vs. his hands (in fact, both clutch catches vs. LSU last year were with his body), and that may be part of his problem.

That being said, CT is a character guy - and I am confident WILL get his act together and be a major contributer for this team this year.

stanley wasn't injured going into the tech game, and he could not have played worse than he did. he was going 100 miles an hour in the wrong direction. THAT is what i blame on the coaches. groves is a more complete player, and gunn has been on the field for two seasons now. gunn's the only one of the three that plays the run better than the pass. even when mcclover's healty, i hope we stick with q and gunn. but maybe that's just me.

and saying q "hasn't really done anything either" seems a little off to me. he's the only end that i can remember putting consistent pressure on the passer. i can't think of another player on the team that has a sack in both games so far. gunn and groves are a complimentary pair. groves is a better pass rusher that can play the run; gunn is a better run stopper that can rus the pass.

ct had 80 yards receiving against tech, and he did have at least one drop (the first pass brandon threw i believe) against state. he didn't have a catch that game, first time ever.

stanley wasn't injured going into the tech game, and he could not have played worse than he did. he was going 100 miles an hour in the wrong direction. THAT is what i blame on the coaches. groves is a more complete player, and gunn has been on the field for two seasons now. gunn's the only one of the three that plays the run better than the pass. even when mcclover's healty, i hope we stick with q and gunn. but maybe that's just me.

and saying q "hasn't really done anything either" seems a little off to me. he's the only end that i can remember putting consistent pressure on the passer. i can't think of another player on the team that has a sack in both games so far. gunn and groves are a complimentary pair. groves is a better pass rusher that can play the run; gunn is a better run stopper that can rus the pass.

ct had 80 yards receiving against tech, and he did have at least one drop (the first pass brandon threw i believe) against state. he didn't have a catch that game, first time ever.

180748[/snapback]

I wouldn't say SM was going in the wrong direction. I saw him and the others crash down on running plays only to have Ball loop around and get outside. DEs have to contain and in my opinion that was a coaching error letting them get too aggressive. They need to rush from the outside on passing plays and stay at home on running plays unless they see the hand off up the middle. Our ends would get killed by reverses if it wasn't for our overall speed. Just need a little time to get better.

I think that is the reason the other guys started ahead of SM and Gunn, because I think SM, Groves and Gunn have more overall talent but need to learn the game and assignments more.

180748[/snapback]

Im guessing you hate McClover and Groves is your favorite player?

Im psychic :o

Neither has been disappointing to me. Would I like CT to have 3 or 4 TDs? Sure. But, I saw CT downfield throwing blocks for his fellow receivers this past weekend (Wasn't Cooper's TD a result of CT throwing a block on one of the MSU DBs?). That makes him ok in my book.

Taylor is second on the team in both receptions and receiving yards:

RECEIVING GP No. Yds Avg TD Long Avg/G

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ben Obomanu 2 7 99 14.1 1 20 49.5

Courtney Taylor 2 6 80 13.3 0 22 40.0

Plus Aromashodu, Obomanu, Mix, and Wallace are more a part of the passing game than ever before, even last year. Maybe teams are keying on Taylor and the other guys are starting to make them pay.

McClover does lead the team in tackles for loss and is getting held more than a new born.

Archived