The buck stops here...

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Bush: 'I take responsibility' for federal failures on Katrina

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- President Bush on Tuesday said he takes responsibility for the federal government's failures in responding to Hurricane Katrina.

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government and to the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Bush said during a joint news conference with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani.

Bush said he wants to know what went right and what went wrong so that he can determine whether the United States is prepared for another storm, or an attack.

"I'm not going to defend the process going in, but I am going to defend the people who are on the front line of saving lives," Bush said.

Earlier in the day, the White House announced the president will address the nation Thursday night about recovery efforts in the Gulf Coast.

Comments?

In a related story, Governor Blanco took the blame for wearing the wrong color eye shadow during her first media appearance after the storm.

Yeah, I saw the press conference when he said that today. Thought that was mighty "Presidential" of the guy to take responsibility instead of pointing fingers.

Archived