Pat Dye Field @ JHS

DKW 86

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have had a thing or two to add to this debate. BUT, the time for debate is over. Congrats to Coach Dye. He deserves every honor that comes his way.

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

I don't think CTT should be offended. Unless you pay for the facility (like Lowder's business building), these things are usually done after retirement. An exception was made in Shug's case.

Even if the BOT pushed it, I don't think Tubs should read anything into it. He still has time to make a bigger mark than he already has on Auburn, which could bring a similar honor when he retires. If the BOT treats him like they did about two years ago, he knows the Auburn people-even his critics-will be there for him like we were then.

CTT is not the type of guy to get jealous about something like this-especially of someone who goes hunting with his brother. He is wokring to build a complete program. That's one of the many reasons why I'm not one of his critics.

CPD did some great things for Auburn. It's only fitting that Bama should play every other Iron Bowl at a facility bearing the name of the guy who knocked them out of thier ivory tower and brought them to the plains.

I hate this and not becuase of Dye. I just hate having 2-3 names for everything - e.g. Samford Stadium-Hitchcock Field at Plainsman Park. It just sounds dumb. I understand recognizing folks, but to the outside it sounds ridiculous.

Just another example of a bad decision coming from the BOT at my beloved university. It literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Isn't there a better way to thank a coach who was caught cheating? Maybe a lifetime position in the alumni department so he could continue to meddle in the affairs of his successors.

:thumbsdown: the BOT

Isn't there a better way to thank a coach who was caught cheating?  Maybe a lifetime position in the alumni department so he could continue to meddle in the affairs of his successors.

:thumbsdown:   the BOT

181863[/snapback]

Could not have said it any better my frien. CPD is a great guy and did alot of good things at :au: , but they way he had to leave his position as head coach lacked the integrity needed to have the field named after him.

For those of you who do not think Pat Dye deserves this, you are either not old enough to know where AU was before Dye got there or you do not have clue. AU would not be where we are today without Pat Dye. We would still be playing second fiddle to the people across the state and we would be middle of the pack SEC at best. He deserves it and needs to be recognized for it.

For those of you who do not think Pat Dye deserves this, you are either not old enough to know where AU was before Dye got there or you do not have clue. AU would not be where we are today without Pat Dye. We would still be playing second fiddle to the people across the state and we would be middle of the pack SEC at best. He deserves it and needs to be recognized for it.

181879[/snapback]

Ummm...I am old enough, thank you for very much. And so are alot of the other people on this board that are against it! As mentioned in my post, nobody is saying that CPD did not do anything great for :au: , but there are some integrity issues about how he went about doing it. What does it say when you name the field after a coach who got you put on probation? You question others about forgetting what CPD did for the program, but it seems you are convenietly forgetting about what he did to the program and why he left his position. You have to question the timing of naming the field after your current coach just went 13-0, something the coach you are naming the field after never did. You also must remember that it is the crowed the CPD runs around in that was a part of the attempted "coup" of CTT a couple of years ago. Again, you have to ask yourself what message is being sent to CTT. Maybe I just put to much stock into having integrity. <_<

This is an honor that is highly deserved if for no other reason than the fact that he worked diligently to get our home game with Bama moved to Auburn where the playing field was leveled for the first time in history. (Look at our record against them since)

I sincerely believe that he was a "natural" for Auburn and fit the Auburn mold perfectly. He knew what it was to be an underdog and yet had been around winning programs long enough to fully understand our lack of confidence against Alabama and how to change it. He SOLVED THAT TOO!

Finally, I sincerely believe that Coach Dye did as much for Auburn as Coach Jordan in different ways. It's interesting to consider what his record would have been if he had been able to coach another 10 years or so... WDE and Congrats to Coach Dye. :cheer::au::D

Nobody is saying that Dye didn't do a lot for Auburn. A LOT. But in the context of the university's history, never having gone undefeated, never bringing home the MNC, leaving the program in lousy shape . . .

There will be someone in the future who will take the program to loftier glory. Why do this now for a better-than-average (and little else) coach?

Isn't there a better way to thank a coach who was caught cheating?  Maybe a lifetime position in the alumni department so he could continue to meddle in the affairs of his successors.

:thumbsdown:   the BOT

181863[/snapback]

Who are you talking about ? CPD wasn't caught cheating. Go back to tending your Eric Ramsey NFL card collection. :moon:

*strike that - I meant ARENA Football card collection. Marvel at his glorious stats!

Albany Firebirds

Tackles - 1

Assists - 1

Some career!!

:thumbsup: to the BOT. Finally something I can agree w/ them on. WDE!

I would like to remind everybody that it was Larry "Keep it down home cuz" Blakeney that strongly admitted that Coach Dye "didn't know anything about it"

(the Ramsey deal with Corky Frost). The whole mess contributed to his retirement but also... remember Coach Dye had a serious health issue too at the time he retired. I say he is very deserving of this. I'm proud for him.

181879[/snapback]

Ummm...I am old enough, thank you for very much. And so are alot of the other people on this board that are against it! As mentioned in my post, nobody is saying that CPD did not do anything great for :au: , but there are some integrity issues about how he went about doing it. What does it say when you name the field after a coach who got you put on probation? You question others about forgetting what CPD did for the program, but it seems you are convenietly forgetting about what he did to the program and why he left his position. You have to question the timing of naming the field after your current coach just went 13-0, something the coach you are naming the field after never did. You also must remember that it is the crowed the CPD runs around in that was a part of the attempted "coup" of CTT a couple of years ago. Again, you have to ask yourself what message is being sent to CTT. Maybe I just put to much stock into having integrity. <_<

181886[/snapback]

I would like to remind everybody that it was Larry "Keep it down home cuz" Blakeney that strongly admitted that Coach Dye "didn't know anything about it"

(the Ramsey deal with Corky Frost). 

181901[/snapback]

Yeah and Ken Lay did not know anything about the accounting practices at Enron...

—Voted to name the playing field at Jordan-Hare Stadium after former football coach Pat Dye.

I'm half surprised that the vote didn't end in a tie. B)

I don't know if Dye knew about all of the goings-on or not...I do remember him saying something to the effect of "if the allegations are true, then I'm guilty of a poor job of management."

I've got mixed feelings about it...he did get Auburn football headed in the right direction, but the passage of time has led me to believe that the means weren't always on the up and up. That could probably still be said about the majority of big schools out there, though. I don't intend that as a justification by any stretch.

Archived