Pat Dye Field @ JHS

DKW 86

:au: Let's just say I am not the biggest fan of Coach Dye and not for personal reasons. But the deal with Eric was a staff trying to help a struggling young family. I was a graduate intern with the football strength and conditioning program while Eric was a db. I served as a personal trainer for several players including Eric. He constantly begged for money for his baby. He probably asked me a dozen times. (This was in the summer of 1988 before he was a starter.)I believe Eric's wife led this ploy as away to get $$$. I do not lay this at any coaches feet. It's just a sad episode.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:au: Let's just say I am not the biggest fan of Coach Dye and not for personal reasons. But the deal with Eric was a staff trying to help a struggling young family. I was a graduate intern with the football strength and conditioning program while Eric was a db. I served as a personal trainer for several players including Eric. He constantly begged for money for his baby. He probably asked me a dozen times. (This was in the summer of 1988 before he was a starter.)I believe Eric's wife led this ploy as away to get $$$. I do not lay this at any coaches feet. It's just a sad episode.

182825[/snapback]

Thats exactly what I was told too. He BEGGED for help to feed his "starving baby". What would any decent person do but feel sorry for someone in that shape. Thats when Corky came into the picture and Blakeney told ER to "keep it down home". I personally don't see anything wrong with helping feed someone... I know... its against the rules......... I too believe his wife was behind the set up, but that may not have been their intention in the beginning.

Ranger12/channoc.......I agree on the timing. I don't agree that Dye was proven to have been involved. He may have been but I think you are expresing an opinion and I respect that. But you don't offer any facts that conclusively convict him, just circumstantial evidence that I choose not to accept. Hope you can respect my opinion without saying I am naive.

182800[/snapback]

Let's have a trial then! Let the facts come out. PT you seem to defend all of those AU bigwigs who have the taint of wrongdoing attached to them. You demand absolute proof and probably wouldn't accept anything other than audio/video evidence of their actions (or inaction), and then only after three or more experts who work for said bigwig testify that the recordings were genuine. Well, we just aren't gonna get that kind of evidence.

What we do know is what the public perception is, right or wrong. We also know that AU is judged in the light of public perception. True or false CPD is as well known in the public eye for a payoff scandal as anything else. His next highest public perception (outside of the AU community) is as "Tie Dye." [btw - I agree with and will defend each and every time he went for the tie.] How does "Pat Dye Field" sound when compared to "Pat Sullivan-Bo Jackson Field"? How could that create a controversy when honoring our two Heisman winners?

Then you figure in who named the field -- Well the BoT. Who's on the BoT? Who is widely perceived as the Czar of the Bot? Who on the BoT was linked with Dye in PetrinoGate? Who on the BoT is currently involved in a fuss about how long his term of office is? Is that BoT member alleging his term should be shorter or longer? Go ahead and demand absolute proof PT. All I believe is that the transportation for PetrinoGate was via the Colonial Bank plane, not the Colonial Bread Truck.

Well, I probably don't know right from wrong, but I do have an opinion. I do not think the field naming was a good decision. I would not even challenge it however, if the alumni had been asked to vote on the naming, or if their was a period of time established for AU alums to comment on the proposal.

PT, I do value and appreciate your opinions even when we are 180 deg. apart. You know when you persist is demanding absolute proof, that it cannot be provided any more than you can provide absolute proof it didn't happen. I think the starting point in the analysis is public perception, not what has been proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

:au:

It has been pointed out that UA cannibalizes its own. I hope AU people will recognize how bad this is and not just the public's perception. It is my opinion that the Coach Dye negatives have been kept more alive by all the adverse comments of AU people than from comments of those outside the AU family.

Legal....in a long post you seem to say that facts and proof are not important when trashing an Auburn person. "Taints" seem more important to you. You must be big on circumstantial evidence. I guess we just disagree and as you can see there are others here who disagree with you also. I would love to answer all your questions and see what point you are trying to make but my attorney has advised me to just shut up. So you should address any further comments/questions to Mr. Auesquire. :big::big::big:

Legal....in a long post you seem to say that facts and proof are not important when trashing an Auburn person. "Taints" seem more important to you. You must be big on circumstantial evidence. I guess we just disagree and as you can see there are others here who disagree with you also. I would love to answer all your questions and see what point you are trying to make but my attorney has advised me to just shut up. So you should address any further comments/questions to Mr. Auesquire. :big:   :big:   :big:

182948[/snapback]

Your attorney has advised you well, my friend. I hope he charged plenty considering the quality of the advice he rendered. :roflol:

Thats exactly what I was told too.  He BEGGED for help to feed his "starving baby". 

182848[/snapback]

I actually heard him beg in the taped conversations that were aired on 60 minutes. Everyone in the room with me when I was wathcing it (all either USC Gamecock fans Clemson fans) could see the set up.

As far as the coup, I blame the guys who boarded the plane and the owner of the plane. Maybe Dye knew about payments to Ramsey, it seems to me like he would have. But I don't think he had an active role in the coup. He was probably asked his opinion, which is held in higher regard than it should be now.

Thats exactly what I was told too.  He BEGGED for help to feed his "starving baby". 

182848[/snapback]

I actually heard him beg in the taped conversations that were aired on 60 minutes. Everyone in the room with me when I was wathcing it (all either USC Gamecock fans Clemson fans) could see the set up.

As far as the coup, I blame the guys who boarded the plane and the owner of the plane. Maybe Dye knew about payments to Ramsey, it seems to me like he would have. But I don't think he had an active role in the coup. He was probably asked his opinion, which is held in higher regard than it should be now.

182994[/snapback]

Sorry 7 but I have been told by numerous people that Dy e was involved and HEAVILY pushing the BOT to hire Neil Callaway, an old coaching buddy that was with Dubose and is now at UGA? Dye was in on the plane trip. Bank on it.

Sorry 7 but I have been told by numerous people that Dy e was involved and HEAVILY pushing the BOT to hire Neil Callaway, an old coaching buddy that was with Dubose and is now at UGA? Dye was in on the plane trip. Bank on it.

183068[/snapback]

Let me clarify, from what I heard Dye offered names IF Tubs was fired. But he wasn't in on the "jet gate" itself. The information I got was that he expected a normal process, fire the current coach before hiring another. Whether he was wanting Tubs replaced earlier that season, I don't know. I only revceived insight on the plane trip itself. He might have been Lowders cheerleader for replacing Tubs, but I beleive he disapproved of the way that was handled.

Back to the topic, oddly enough, Dye's re-establishment of the football program helped fund the library expansion in the late 1980s. Maybe they could have put his name there as an alternative. :D

Frankly, talking about this politically is just plain BS :puke:

Dye helped lead our program into a national status. Auburn became Runningback University under Dye. Yada yada yada, etc.

Guys, lets just congratulate the guy and move on. It will still be Jordan-Hare stadium. Its just the green grass thats named "Pat Dye Field." If that bothers you so much that some grass is named after a guy who has part in Auburn history...well....move on.

Frankly, talking about this politically is just plain BS  :puke:

Dye helped lead our program into a national status.  Auburn became Runningback University under Dye.  Yada yada yada, etc.

Guys, lets just congratulate the guy and move on.  It will still be Jordan-Hare stadium.  Its just the green grass thats named "Pat Dye Field."  If that bothers you so much that some grass is named after a guy who has part in Auburn history...well....move on.

183126[/snapback]

Oh, but after November, the grass will never be so green as it was in the past!

He was surprised, shocked and honored by the board's action:

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/12691098.htm

But they got with him in advance and offered to name the field or the athletic complex after him. He chose the field:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...0950.xml&coll=2

I just wish they'd name a P*ss Ant after me! :roflol:

Dye helped lead our program into a national status.  Auburn became Runningback University under Dye.  Yada yada yada, etc.

Guys, lets just congratulate the guy and move on.  It will still be Jordan-Hare stadium.  Its just the green grass thats named "Pat Dye Field."  If that bothers you so much that some grass is named after a guy who has part in Auburn history...well....move on.

183126[/snapback]

This is good advice young man ... this shows maturity of thought.

Guest Tigrinum Major

183126[/snapback]

Some guys named Andrews, Cribbs and Brooks might disagree that Dye made AU Running Back U.

Last thing I'll say about this, Auburn was Auburn way before Dye got there and it will be Auburn long after he's gone. One man did not do anything alone, including getting the game moved from Birmingham. Like I said, I am a little torn on the whole deal.

I understand some are torn on the subject. I believe people are more torn on the fact that its an honor to someone that doesnt deserve it?

Regardless, some are probably making this more of an issue than it needs to be. I think all of us can go down a list of about 10-20 people in history that have received some type of honor, and in their opinion, didnt deserve it.

Either way, its still Jordan-Hare stadium....thats all I could really care about.

But really, whats next: Tommy Tuberville Field goal posts? :lol:

Off the subject of deserving it for a second. As some have suggested, I'd much rather see an area for some kick butt statues outside the stadium for those, like Dye, that have meant so much for Auburn football. Shug, Dye, Bo, and we could use a little bit of the left over iron to make a real small one for Coach Tot. :big:

Off the subject of deserving it for a second.  As some have suggested, I'd much rather see an area for some kick butt statues outside the stadium for those, like Dye, that have meant so much for Auburn football.  Shug, Dye, Bo, and we could use a little bit of the left over iron to make a real small one for Coach Tot. :big:

183202[/snapback]

I appreciate the thought esquire, but I've never done anything for Auburn, and as much of an Alabama fan as I am I'm sure some folks would take offense to it.

:blink::big:B);):poke:

Not really a big deal. We will name the Field @ JH after Coach Dye at this year's IB and we can name the Field @ bryant-denny after Coach Tuberville after Next year's IB! :big::cheer: (After all, as I have stated before, Coach Tuberville does OWN that field.)

Archived