Pat Dye Field @ JHS

DKW 86

I'm sorry guys, but it amazes me that some would be naive enough to be believe that CPD did not know what was going on. Of course Blackney said Dye did not know. He was protecting his friend. You forget that there was other stuff that came out to the contary that showed Dye did know what was going on, like the Ramsey tape. Also, there was alot more linking Dye then was released to the media. That was done to safe face for day and let him retire with his "medical problems". Yet they guy stuck around and stayed on as a paid consultant to the school. But, let's just say he did not know what was going on. It does not change the fact that it still happened under his watch. Just like in the military, when something happens under a CO's command, even if he did not approve it, that CO is still responsible for the discpline and management if his troops!

Also, let me make this point one more time because it seems to not be sinking in. The timing of doing this! We just had a coach take us to 13-0 the year after an attempted coup. It makes no dang sense whatsover to turn around after that undeafeted season and name the field after a former coach who is heavily supported and runs around with the crowd behind the attempted coup of the current coach that just went 13-0!

To go along with Texaubie's Enron example...If you don't think CPD did not know what was going on then you probably believe an certain Healsouth ex-CEO named Dick did not know about the fraud going on under his watch either. :lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know how true all this is, but I am getting word that Dye may actually be pretty ill. The timing may have been due to an "Illness." I was told he had surgery just this last weekend. I am not getting tolod what the surgery was for.

I'm sorry guys, but it amazes me that some would be naive enough to be believe that CPD did not know what was going on. Of course Blackney said Dye did not know. He was protecting his friend. You forget that there was other stuff that came out to the contary that showed Dye did know what was going on, like the Ramsey tape. Also, there was alot more linking Dye then was released to the media. That was done to safe face for day and let him retire with his "medical problems". Yet they guy stuck around and stayed on as a paid consultant to the school. But, let's just say he did not know what was going on. It does not change the fact that it still happened under his watch. Just like in the military, when something happens under a CO's command, even if he did not approve it, that CO is still responsible for the discpline and management if his troops!

Also, let me make this point one more time because it seems to not be sinking in. The timing of doing this! We just had a coach take us to 13-0 the year after an attempted coup. It makes no dang sense whatsover to turn around after that undeafeted season and name the field after a former coach who is heavily supported and runs around with the crowd behind the attempted coup of the current coach that just went 13-0!

To go along with Texaubie's Enron example...If you don't think CPD did not know what was going on then you probably believe an certain Healsouth ex-CEO named Dick did not know about the fraud going on under his watch either. :lol:

181924[/snapback]

<_< Ramsey was out to trap somebody. Why else would he just so happen to have a tape recorded stuck down his pants. I remember hearing "the tapes" on 60 Minuets. I remember that they weren't audible too. We don't need to replay all that again. But its true... The head guy always seems to be the one to pay the price. Happens all the time. But think about this... You don't see Charley Pell hangin' around UF. You don't see Dubose welcomed with open arms and loved by the Bammers (just the opposite). Danny Ford ain't still at Clemson. Last time I checked Jim Harrick wasn't sharing a skybox with Vince Dooley at UGA. ... do you see the difference? Most Auburn people know Dye had to step down as a way to appease the NCAA. At that time in his life I believe he was ready to get away from coaching anyway. But if Auburn truly believed Dye intentionally "cheated" and that was the reason for probation then I very seriously doubt that he would've still been employed by AU, would not still be adored by most fans, and would definitely not be honored by naming the field after him.

:au: owes a lot to him. The timing may bother some upset fans... but since Dye and Tubs are friends, the timing is irrelavent. In fact, its overdue.

Case closed.

:lol: Where did you hear that Dye and CTT were friends? I hope you are not trusting the AU PR department for that info. :poke: They may respect each other as coaches, but that is as far as that goes. As far as CPD would not still be hanging around if the BOTs thought he was actually guilty...are you kidding me? We are talking about the BOTs that got us on academic probation. We are talking about the ones that went behind CTTs back a couple of years ago. We are talking about Bobby Lowder. Bobby Lowder and CPD are good friends, which is why CPD stayed around at :au: . Regardless if Ramsey was trying to trap somebody, if you ain't done nothing wrong, you can't get trapped.

AU creed is about truth and integrity. Why do we name the field after a coach, as great as he was, that left the program when it got into trouble under his watch and care? I have nothing personal against Dye and I understand what he meant to AU football. But I am more worried about the message being sent. You do realize that outside of AU Nation, that other fans of other schools, that are old enough, remember Dye as the coach that got us under probation. They don't remember Dye as the coach that resurrected the program.

I lived through and graduated in terrible 70's. CPD brought respect back to our university athletic program. He made mistakes. Big mistakes. But he was also entrapped by an unethical player, player's wife, and lawyer, that were trying to blackmail him. I think he thought that the kid really did have true family needs and that he was DOING the right thing, even if it was outside of ncaa rules. Also, if my memory is correct, we were put on probation in the late 70's because of things that CR"S"J did. These violations also had a humanitarian aspect to them. Our stadium has his name on it and we are so very proud of him - and rightly so. I am not defending the action of the BOT but I also do not condem it.

:lol: Where did you hear that Dye and CTT were friends? I hope you are not trusting the AU PR department for that info.  :poke:   They may respect each other as coaches, but that is as far as that goes. As far as CPD would not still be hanging around if the BOTs thought he was actually guilty...are you kidding me? We are talking about the BOTs that got us on academic probation. We are talking about the ones  that went behind CTTs back a couple of years ago. We are talking about Bobby Lowder. Bobby Lowder and CPD are good friends, which is why CPD stayed around at  :au: . Regardless if Ramsey was trying to trap somebody, if you ain't done nothing wrong, you can't get trapped.

AU creed is about truth and integrity. Why do we name the field after a coach, as great as he was, that left the program when it got into trouble under his watch and care? I have nothing personal against Dye and I understand what he meant to AU football. But I am more worried about the message being sent. You do realize that outside of AU Nation, that other fans of other schools, that are old enough, remember Dye as the coach that got us under probation. They don't remember Dye as the coach that resurrected the program.

181935[/snapback]

They may not be close friends but CTT and Dye do have respect for each other. Because of that respect I don't believe you will see Tubs take issue with this. Obviously we all have our opinions about the program. Our opinions won't change about Dye just like they won't change about Bowden or Tubs... I agree about the BOT. But its not just the BOT. Ask the fans... Start a poll if you want to prove a point. I think by far the "AU Nation" will approve of this. I'll bet when the dedication happens you won't hear many boos. Only cheers. As for what others "outside the AU Nation" think... who cares.

:lol: Where did you hear that Dye and CTT were friends? I hope you are not trusting the AU PR department for that info.  :poke:   They may respect each other as coaches, but that is as far as that goes. As far as CPD would not still be hanging around if the BOTs thought he was actually guilty...are you kidding me? We are talking about the BOTs that got us on academic probation. We are talking about the ones  that went behind CTTs back a couple of years ago. We are talking about Bobby Lowder. Bobby Lowder and CPD are good friends, which is why CPD stayed around at  :au: . Regardless if Ramsey was trying to trap somebody, if you ain't done nothing wrong, you can't get trapped.

181935[/snapback]

They may not be close friends but CTT and Dye do have respect for each other. Because of that respect I don't believe you will see Tubs take issue with this. Obviously we all have our opinions about the program. Our opinions won't change about Dye just like they won't change about Bowden or Tubs... I agree about the BOT. But its not just the BOT. Ask the fans... Start a poll if you want to prove a point. I think by far the "AU Nation" will approve of this. I'll bet when the dedication happens you won't hear many boos. Only cheers. As for what others "outside the AU Nation" think... who cares.

181939[/snapback]

Well we might hear some boos. I just saw where the dedication will be during the Bammer game. Bammers don't like Dye. ;)

FYI - here are some clips from a couple of articles in this mornings papers.

The Decatur Daily

(link) http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/s...50917/dye.shtml

"This is such a fitting tribute to honor someone like Coach Dye, who has had such an incredible impact on Auburn athletics," Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs said. "Coach Dye was instrumental in returning the Auburn football program back to respectability and prominence of the Coach Jordan Era, and he also played an important part in brining the Alabama game to Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"Coach Dye continues to be an ambassador not only for Auburn athletics, but for Auburn University.

Auburn won four Southeastern Conference championships under Dye's leadership, claiming league crowns in 1983, '87, '88 and '89. In a nine-year span from 1982-90, Dye directed Auburn to an 84-22-3 record and a .784 winning percentage, the third best in the country during that time.

Under Dye, Auburn posted four 10-win seasons and won six bowl games in nine appearances. A three-time SEC coach of the year and 1983 national coach of the year, Dye is one of only seven coaches in college football history to have coached a winner of the Heisman Trophy (Bo Jackson, 1985), Outland Trophy (Tracy Rocker, 1988) and Lombardi Award (Tracy Rocker, 1988).

The Auburn Opelika News

(link) http://www.oanow.com/servlet/Satellite?pag...ews%21localnews

“You couldn’t do anything that would make me prouder or touch me any deeper than naming a piece of dirt after me,” Dye said, drawing laughter and applause. “I come from the dirt. I was born and raised on the farm and raised in the fields, and I love the outdoors and I love nature. To me personally, this is the greatest honor that I will ever receive as a player, coach or man.”

Dye has no shortage of honors. In his 12 seasons as the Tigers’ head coach, he won 99 games, four Southeastern Conference Championships and six bowl games. He’ll also be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame this December.

“If his national peers are recognizing him, certainly his local peers should recognize him,” said Paul Spina, an AU trustee.

Spina said he has wanted to honor Dye for years, but that this year seemed a fitting occasion.

“I wanted to bring this forward in June myself, and candidly they said maybe it would be better that the board doesn’t bring this forward - that somebody bring it to the board (instead),” Spina said.

As the Opelika-Auburn News reported last month, the push to name the field for Dye came from a group of well-connected alumni and former athletes.

Though heralded by fans, Dye has had his share of controversy. He left the football program on NCAA probation in 1992, haunted by allegations that a former player had received improper benefits from a booster (The player begged for food for his poor starving baby). Despite what some would call a mixed legacy, Spina said NO trustees objected to naming the field for Dye.

“His demise is highly exaggerated ... He was never found guilty of anything,” Spina said. “We don’t need to get into all of that. People use that as an excuse not to honor Coach Dye.”

Spina’s enthusiasm for recognizing Dye was seconded by Jimmy Rane, another AU trustee.

“Point of order, Mr. Chairman,” Rane said in jest before the vote. “I’d like to know how many times can I vote?”

The field will be named for Dye when the Tigers face their arch rival, the University of Alabama, Nov. 19. Dye said this was fitting.

“I think it’s significant,” Dye said. “You won’t be the coach at Auburn very long if you don’t whip Alabama.”

I think that says it all.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I dont know how true all this is, but I am getting word that Dye may actually be pretty ill. The timing may have been due to an "Illness." I was told he had surgery just this last weekend. I am not getting tolod what the surgery was for.

181926[/snapback]

During his weekly spot on Finebaum, he alluded to the surgery without being specific.

As far as the honor, I am torn. Dye certainly put us back on a level footing with Alabama, but at what cost? The ends do do always justify the means.

And to the person who alluded to the probation that fell under Shug's watch, that had much more to do with who controlled the NCAA at that point than a blatant disregard for the rules. Just as Alabama fans have their conspriracy theories about who is calling the shots in Indy, I have mine as to what went down "back in the day".

And to the person who alluded to the probation that fell under Shug's watch, that had much more to do with who controlled the NCAA at that point than a blatant disregard for the rules. Just as Alabama fans have their conspriracy theories about who is calling the shots in Indy, I have mine as to what went down "back in the day".

181950[/snapback]

I do know some of the Things that went on back in CR"S"J's days. Everytime we got close to being on equal footing, the "ole drunk" in west alabama would make a few callls and we got slapped down. There were no blatent rules violations...... If all the true facts were known, I bet the same things were happening in the late 90's with CPD. Isn't is coincidental that we had just won 4 straight over the "ole drunk's" team and suddenly a player is blackmailing us with the help of a notorious/infamous lawyer. The reach of the bear is still mighty even today through rich and powerful alumni and contributers. Both CR"S"J and CPD did monumental things for AU.

As far as my references to the "ole drunk" coach, these are my personal opinions based on an event that happened in the mid-60's. My parents and I were given tickets to a uat/Tenn game at Legion Field. We happened to be visiting a guest at the same hotel where "the bear" was staying the next Sunday morning. We happened to get on the elevator on an upper floor when the bear and his "guards" were on the same elevator going down. I was in awe at this point. The bear was was slouching over and as the elevator started down, he fell against my mom. My dad grabbed the bear to get him off of my mom and was virtually assaulted be the bear's body guards. The man stunk of whiskey and was totally drunk. Some of the men held the bear up while other men held my dad until they could get the elevator to stop at another floor where my mom, dad, and I were roughly pushed out into the hallway. This was quite an experience for a 13 year old that I will never forget.

But if Auburn truly believed Dye intentionally "cheated" and that was the reason for probation then I very seriously doubt that he would've still been employed by AU

I think that is exactly the reason he is still employed by AU. "We'll keep you employed if you keep your mouth shut."

I believe that Dye did a lot for AU. I also believe that the "cheating" that occurred was nothing more than any other SEC school was doing AT THE TIME. I just think that CTT is overall running a much better program. I saw a stat last week that AU had the second most players in the NFL with degrees (behind Miami). That is not because those degrees were given to them. It's because they earned them.

With all of Dye's accomplishments, I am more proud of our program now than in 1990. I am proud to see our players praying on the sideline after a touchdown instead of dancing like TO in the endzone. I am proud to know that our players will represent us well in the NFL and in their careers after football.

JMHO. War Eagle. Our Tigers looked great today and I expect to be in Atlanta this December.

I may have had a thing or two to add to this debate. BUT, the time for debate is over. Congrats to Coach Dye. He deserves every honor that comes his way.

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

181824[/snapback]

I say Amen!!! What else needs to be said. :cheer:

"Have people forgotten about Ramsey's famous tape-recorded conversation with Dye?"

Oh okay, I'm going to call you up, and while recording the conversation, say "thanks for helping me rob that bank" and if you give no response, you must be guilty. THAT's what the (in)famous tapes were. Ramsey called Dye, taped it and during the call cut Dye off mid-sentence saying "thanks for the money coach" and because Dye kept on talking w/out saying something like 'what are you talking about Eric", the press and Ramsey's lawyer...and apparently others...equate that as Dye must have given the money. Blakeney was banned from contact w/ AU for life and had NO incentive to protect Dye, but nevertheless said "Coach Dye knew nothing about this." Considering the lengths Blakney and Frost went to conceiling the "loans" from everybody...including Dye...it's easy to believe nobody else knew. (And to the Ken Lay conspiracy theorist, study up on the difference between a CEO vouching for basic financial representations when he KNOW's who to check w/ to confirm the figures, versus an AD not knowing what is being actively concealed from him or not knowing what every one of the half million alumni are doing). Dye's response was typically accountable and I think unnecessarily hard on himself, agreeing he blew it in his oversight as an athletic director. But consider his quote: "God put me on this planet to be a football coach, not an Athletic director." If he's being honored for coaching...good move BOT. Regardless of MNC's we get in the future, we'll NEVER have another coach advance our football program as far. And I agree that the folks not realizing HOW far he took the AU program are either too young or have serious selective memory.

On the separate issue of honoring Dye in this way (giving additional names to an already hypenated named stadium, a statue outside the stadium would be better).

But if Auburn truly believed Dye intentionally "cheated" and that was the reason for probation then I very seriously doubt that he would've still been employed by AU

I think that is exactly the reason he is still employed by AU. "We'll keep you employed if you keep your mouth shut."

I believe that Dye did a lot for AU. I also believe that the "cheating" that occurred was nothing more than any other SEC school was doing AT THE TIME. I just think that CTT is overall running a much better program. I saw a stat last week that AU had the second most players in the NFL with degrees (behind Miami). That is not because those degrees were given to them. It's because they earned them.

With all of Dye's accomplishments, I am more proud of our program now than in 1990. I am proud to see our players praying on the sideline after a touchdown instead of dancing like TO in the endzone. I am proud to know that our players will represent us well in the NFL and in their careers after football.

JMHO. War Eagle. Our Tigers looked great today and I expect to be in Atlanta

this December.

182000[/snapback]

What will you being doing in Atlanta in December? :poke:

I'm a Dye man is this matter, believing that he did much more good for Auburn than any of the negatives associated with his name. His tenure was during another time and he was no where near as classless than the man under whom he coached at UA. UA people don't like him because he brought AU back to a superior position from the depths of the Barfield era.

Why don't we just name the "field" @ JH W E S T after Coach Tuberville? After all, He OWNS it! :au::D

Eric Ramsey put Auburn on probation, not Pat Dye.  This conversation is unwarranted.

182677[/snapback]

I agree with you. I am not a huge Pat Dye fan but it's sad how many Auburn fans seem to have strong negative opinions without facts to support them. Guess that's just par for the course in any large sampling of people. I only hope that all those accusing Dye of personally cheating have read the book "In The Arena" and have had the chance to be around him in person. Since most Auburn fans think Bo is the gresatest, it would probably come as a shock to them if it came out that Bo was a big part of this.

Just what part of "this" or "it" is Bo a part of? :blink:

p.s. The NCAA cleared Coach Dye of any wrong doing. Yes, it happened on his watch, but, that is it. :au:

181924[/snapback]

Totally agreed. Couldn't have said it better.

Ranger12/channoc.......I agree on the timing. I don't agree that Dye was proven to have been involved. He may have been but I think you are expresing an opinion and I respect that. But you don't offer any facts that conclusively convict him, just circumstantial evidence that I choose not to accept. Hope you can respect my opinion without saying I am naive.

Archived