the best defense LSU has seen this year??

SECond2none

First of all, great to be back for another LSU/Auburn game week.

I've started lurking yet again and have noticed a common point being made by several Auburn posters.

"This will be the toughest defense that Jamarcus Russell and LSU have seen this year."

One of the best, yes, of course. But not necessarily THE best. You can't claim to be any tougher than Florida presently...take a look.

per the NCAA.org website Auburn is ranked 6th nationally in total defense, which is very impressive. But Florida is ranked right behind you at 7th giving up a whopping 4 yds per game more. Only Florida has played better offenses than Auburn. Yes, thats right.

per the same website, Auburns opponents' offenses rank as follows:

Georgia Tech: 70

Mississippi State: 110

Ball State: 105

West KY: n/a div 1aa

South Car: 94

Arkansas: 45

Florida's opponents rank like this

Wyoming: 76

La. Tech: 93

Tenn: 83

Kentucky: 103

Bama: 48

Mississippi State: 110

LSU: 51

So what do we do about West Kentucky, since they are Div 1AA (even though you gave up 342 yds to them) Some may say rank them 118, behind all 1a teams, but I gave you the benefit and eliminated them all together.

So what we have is Auburn playing an average of the 85th ranked offense, and Florida playing an average of the 80th ranked offense. Florida also gets more sacks per game and tackles for loss against those same offenses.

Does this mean Florida's D is better. Maybe, maybe not. But it does prove that it is certainly too close to call. Auburn certainly hasn't shown that it will be any tougher than Florida on the defense. So I guess we can stop using that as an argument.

Here's to a good game

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tigrinum Major

I am not sure that a 4 yard difference between the 80th and 85th ranked offenses mean anything. Both have given up yards in trash time and both have been stout during the meat of the ballgames. Good analysis, but I am not sure how applicable it is to comparision.

You and Stat Tiger should have some interesting conversations this week.

I am not sure that a 4 yard difference between the 80th and 85th ranked offenses mean anything.  Both have given up yards in trash time and both have been stout during the meat of the ballgames.  Good analysis, but I am not sure how applicable it is to comparision. 

189517[/snapback]

Actually that was kinda my point. What exactly is being used as a comparison to say that Auburn will be the best? It seems most were saying that our offense hasn't been tested like it will be Saturday, but that's just not true, as anyone can tell anyway.

We really won't know how good AU's defense is until Saturday. A great deal of those stats are with our 2nd and 3rd stringers in well after the game was over. Our 1st string defense has played lights out except for the 1st qtr of the 1st game, and part of the 3rd quarter against Arkansas. I for one am looking forward to seeing how good they really are...

Guest Tigrinum Major

Well, I don't know if I have been one of the ones saying it, but I believe it. I guess the fact that we are giving up just over 10 points a game, granted to weak competition. There is a stat thread on here somewhere that shows we are being just as efficient against weak opponents this years as we were last year, which you have to agree was a stout D.

We didn't lose much from last year and the production (or opponent's lack thereof) shown by this group is steady. They give up a long play from time to time, which Russell is capable of hitting, but overall, they are a fast, athletic group with a nose for the football and a bad disposition when they get there.

No doubt this one will be a barnburner (no pun intendeed) and the best team will be hoisting the cigars on Saturday night (obligatory cigar dig fully intended.)

Where is home for you, SECond?

I am not sure that a 4 yard difference between the 80th and 85th ranked offenses mean anything.  Both have given up yards in trash time and both have been stout during the meat of the ballgames.  Good analysis, but I am not sure how applicable it is to comparision. 

189517[/snapback]

Actually that was kinda my point. What exactly is being used as a comparison to say that Auburn will be the best? It seems most were saying that our offense hasn't been tested like it will be Saturday, but that's just not true, as anyone can tell anyway.

189522[/snapback]

did you sleep through the UA/UF game this year, the florida d was exposed for what it was....OVERATED!!!!!! I know we haven't played anyone this year, :puke: but how can you not say that auburn's d is better than UF's, unless you haven't seen auburn play this year.

ps-don't even try using the "tech hung 24 argument" it is unfounded and ignorant, our offense gave them an extremely short field all night.

Guest Tigrinum Major

189524[/snapback]

Outside of BR (Denham Springs) if thats what you meant. B)

189555[/snapback]

I actually meant internet forum home. I predict tiger forums or droppings. You are too sane for tigersmack.

Yes this will be the toughest D for Auburn. They should be able to move the ball though.

189533[/snapback]

Auburn D=VandyD, maybe not quite as much speed as Vandy, though. :lsu:

Yes this will be the toughest D for Auburn. They should be able to move the ball though.

189533[/snapback]

Auburn D=VandyD, maybe not quite as much speed as Vandy, though. :lsu:

189565[/snapback]

:lol:

Auburn will be one of the best defenses we've seen this season. It's hard to tell if Auburn's defense is as good as Florida's, however judging by past years I'm sure it is.

this will be the best defense you have played all year based on the fact that we have the number three scoring defense in the nation at 10.7 points per game (behind vatech at 9.0 and miami at 10.0), and at least 16 of the 64 points against were given up after turnovers that gave the other team the ball inside the auburn 35. florida is 11th on the list at 5+ points per more than auburn.

i never understand why people use yardage as the official defensive ranking. i'd rather have the number one scoring defense any day of the week. i can promise you the only defense you'll see this year on par with auburn's is alabama's unless you play georgia in atlanta. those three are all three of the best in the country (with vatech, miami, ohio state, and florida state from what i've seen this year).

I think if LSU plays a solid game and limits the turnovers and penalties they'll win by at least 14. LSU will decide who wins or loses. That said, LSU hasn't played very disciplined football this year. There is no telling whether they'll start to play sound football this Saturday.

A very interesting fact is that Auburn has yet to play anyone worth a dam this year. This will be Auburn's first game against a real opponent.

Just to throw some stats back at ya.

Auburn's Offense ranks 34th nationally with 417ypg

Florida's Offense ranks 53rd nationally with 383ypg

With that said then with Auburn's defense being just as good as Florida's if not better, Auburn should be a tougher oppenent then FLA.

Seing that LSU-FLA was a 4 point spread should be a hell of a game.

LSU in Death Valley is never easy, but I don't this this one is a blowout either way.

Auburn 21 LSU 20 (Another extra point)

War Eagle

i'll say the exact opposite geaux. if auburn doesn't turn the ball over, we have the most complete offense in the sec. i'd take our receivers over any group in this conference, kenny irons just proved he can get the job done, and if lester is back, he's the biggest playmaker on the field for us. add in the best set tackles in the country and a solid line, you got an offense. plus we're giving up 10 points a game on the other side.

arkansas scored 10 of 17 on drives that started inside their 30. if we protect the ball, not many teams can drive it on us. turnovers or no, 24 points wins this game. and just so you know, arkansas fans came on here and said the same thing about the schedule last week, you are we going to have to hear that from ole miss fans after we beat lsu?

just checkin. you've been on here a long time so i don't expect you to disappear if you lose. i'm just tired of hearing crap about the schedule.

More important than who youve played and how much you gave up is how you play Saturday.

If both teams come ready to play and play their best then i think being at home is definately in LSU favor.

You just never know what LSU offense is going to show up. Our offensive co-ordinator goes conservative when he gets a lead because of the amount of turnovers we have been prone too and the number of penalties.

LSU has 5 turnovers against Auburn we get beat . It is just that simple.

I dont see Auburn offense moving up and down the field or LSU's for that matter.

The team that is able to score TD's versus field goals when their opportunities come will be the winner.

My prediction is LSU 24 AU 17.

Sure wish I had a time travel machine to use to see scores before they happen. Wouldnt everyone!!!

See AU on Sat. and looking forward to the game.

189524[/snapback]

Outside of BR (Denham Springs) if thats what you meant. B)

189555[/snapback]

I actually meant internet forum home. I predict tiger forums or droppings. You are too sane for tigersmack.

189560[/snapback]

Oh yeah, TigerDroppings.com

Guest Tigrinum Major
i think being at home is definately in LSU favor.  

189610[/snapback]

The greatest myth in college football is the dreaded Death Valley advantage.

189637[/snapback]

To be objective, LSU has an average winning percentage when they play at night, around .750 or so. When I say average, I mean comparable to other schools' home record. When they play during the day, they are less than average (I believe under .500 at Tiger Stadium during daylight hours).

So, while their perceived monster advantage at TS doesn't exist, they do have an advantage playing at night, albeit about the same as Auburn does at JHS at any time of the day.

i think being at home is definately in LSU favor.  

189610[/snapback]

The greatest myth in college football is the dreaded Death Valley advantage.

189637[/snapback]

To be objective, LSU has an average winning percentage when they play at night, around .750 or so. When I say average, I mean comparable to other schools' home record. When they play during the day, they are less than average (I believe under .500 at Tiger Stadium during daylight hours).

So, while their perceived monster advantage at TS doesn't exist, they do have an advantage playing at night, albeit about the same as Auburn does at JHS at any time of the day.

189685[/snapback]

lets don't start this discussion again.....there was an entire thread about this about 2 months ago.

Archived