the best defense LSU has seen this year??

SECond2none

Guest Tigrinum Major

And I thought I put the conclusions into a nice succint little blurb, scott.

Besides, isn't that better than talking about corndogs and urine filled balloons?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn's defensive numbers are way off due to huge leads and playing 2nd and 3rd stringers in most of the second half of the past 4-5 games.

p.s. Who has lsWHO played that is a proven "great" TEAM? :blink:

Florida? Surely you jest. <_<

I think if LSU plays a solid game and limits the turnovers and penalties they'll win by at least 14. LSU will decide who wins or loses. That said, LSU hasn't played very disciplined football this year. There is no telling whether they'll start to play sound football this Saturday.

A very interesting fact is that Auburn has yet to play anyone worth a dam this year. This will be Auburn's first game against a real opponent.

189586[/snapback]

So what you're saying is...even if we win the game, it's not our......fault? :blink:

By the way...our D gives up hardly ANY points in first halves when the starters are in. Chew on that a while.... Corndogs...gotta love em. <_<

:au::homer:

This game should be a close hard fought slugfest, I don't know who to pick to win right now though. LSU offense has the weapons to put points on anybody but turnovers and penalties have hurt them the last few games, especially in the first half. This is the first big test of the season for Auburn, but lets face it AU's offense is better than Florida because right now Meyer's "vaunted" spread option has turned Chris Leak into the worst qb in the SEC right now. I too am tired of opposing teams going "Auburn hasn't played anybody yet", while that is partially true, who has LSU played? Florida looks just like a 7-5 Zook team to me right now; Tenn. is pitiful on offense and I don't see them getting any better on that side of the ball anytime soon; ASU is a middle of the pack Pac-10 team which means they can score but can't play a lick of defense, and they blew a 21-3 lead against USC at home. I love all the new LSU people signing up and talking smack and talking about the game, hopefully they will stick around for awhile after this weekend.

Here is my take on this upcoming game...Both teams are greatly improving each week. AU turned the ball over a lot against TEch. Cox's first game and TEch pressured him all day and his inexperience showed in the throws he made. Those mistakes were eliminated until a road test this last week where Arky the first house used a similar attack and Cox had one INT. The second half we adjusted and settled down and took care of business. The best SEC rushing team and #3 in the country was held to a season low 148 rushing. Now in comparing AU and LSU Offense and Defenses statistically ( in the SEC), we come up with this:

Scoring O

AU 1st 37.3/gm

LSU 3rd 30.8/gm

Scoring D

AU 1st 10.7/gm

LSU 7th 18.2/gm

Passing O

AU 6th 232.3 ypg

LSU 8th 229.0 ypg

Passing D

AU 1st 152.8 ypg

LSU 8th 220.8 ypg

Rushing O

AU 3rd 187.2 ypg

LSU 5th 157.4 ypg

Rushing D

LSU 1st 69.8 ypg

AU 6th 114.3 ypg

Total O

AU 2nd 419.5 ypg

LSU 5th 386.4 ypg

Of course these are from all games this year per www.secsports.com. Just looking at SEC games. AU has given up an average of 8 points/gm, 143 ypg passing, and 99.66 ypg rushing. LSU has given up 15 points/gm, 160.75 ypg passing, 62.5 ypg rushing. LSU is averaging 3 turnovers per game and AU is averaging 1.66 turnovers per game. LSU is #2 in sacks by defense with 19 and AU is tied for #1 in sacks allowed with only 7. LSU is the most penalized team averaging over 10/gm, while AU is averaging just under 6/gm. LSU and AU are the top 2 red zone offenses with AU with the slight lead converting 91% to LSU at 86%.

Okay, I think that is enough. All I am saying is that on paper these two teams are pretty comparable. The thing that sticks out in my mind is the AU has the #1 pass D, with pretty good rush D and LSU has the #1 rushing D, with a pass D that has been scorched, but played beter the last several games. I have watched both teams play. We have been hurt offensively by good blitzing teams (Tech and Arky). We were able to adjust agaisnt Arky and run away with it. Against Tech we moved the ball inside the 30 3 or 4 times only to shoot ourselves. I believe we have a more balanced offense and a better Defense than LSU has seen. I believe we will see the best offense and defense we have seen. The bottom line is we all will speculate on the games giving our insights and stats, etc. It will come down to who will execute and not turnover the ball. It will come down to who leaves in on the field Saturday night. Having watched a lot of football I think AU will win and b/c I am an AU homer. This is cgoing to be another close game like last year and I hope we come out on top. I hope we can force some TOs and keep LSU in that same TO mode and they stay in the penalty mode. I don't know. If LSU brings pressure all day and stays on Cox we get beat. We do have an excellent OL that adjusted well to the Arky blitz unlike we did against Tech. That shows improvement to me. I can't wait and good luck to all you geaux tigers, but WAR EAGLE!!

:au: 24

:lsu: 17

i think being at home is definately in LSU favor.  

189610[/snapback]

The greatest myth in college football is the dreaded Death Valley advantage.

189637[/snapback]

Cigar, anyone?! <_<

:au::homer:

Just to throw some stats back at ya.

Auburn's Offense ranks 34th nationally with 417ypg

Florida's Offense ranks 53rd nationally with 383ypg

With that said then with Auburn's defense being just as good as Florida's if not better, Auburn should be a tougher oppenent then FLA.

Those stats mean nothing. UF compiled those stats against teams including UT, UA and LSU. Auburn stats come from games against MSU, SC and Ark.

The truth is no one knows how good or sorry AU is this year for two reasons.

First, none of your victories have been shown on TV. :o

Second, your schedule is such a joke that you have not been on TV this year. :moon:

If history holds true, it is our year to win this game. And, the last couple of games in BR have been blow-outs. :lsu::lsu:

Just to throw some stats back at ya.

Auburn's Offense ranks 34th nationally with 417ypg

Florida's Offense ranks 53rd nationally with 383ypg

With that said then with Auburn's defense being just as good as Florida's if not better, Auburn should be a tougher oppenent then FLA.

Those stats mean nothing. UF compiled those stats against teams including UT, UA and LSU. Auburn stats come from games against MSU, SC and Ark.

First, none of your victories have been shown on TV. :o

Second, your schedule is such a joke that you have not been on TV this year. :moon:

If history holds true, it is our year to win this game. And, the last couple of games in BR have been blow-outs. :lsu::lsu:

If history holds true, it is our year to win this game. And, the last couple of games in BR have been blow-outs. :lsu:   :lsu:

189782[/snapback]

OH ok... That makes alot of sense. We should start calling you Ms. Cleo :rolleyes:

go tiger what are you smoking....it must be some good @#$% you must have not watched your pussycats slop around against a very weak florida team..

First, none of your victories have been shown on TV. ohmy.gif

Second, your schedule is such a joke that you have not been on TV this year. moon.gif

i'm sick of this we've beaten no one crap. We slaughtered a USC team that played georgia close, and took care of an arkansas team that gave bammer all they wanted. The reason these teams look so crappy is because we hammered them. IF we don't beat USC they are a "good" team who gave georgia all they wanted and beat auburn at home. If we loose to Arky then they are a team on the rise who gave bama all they wanted and beat the defending sec champs. Just because FLA was overrated going into this season that means LSU has played this great schedule, don't forget about UT who also was way overrated this year. The point is that if LSU discounts this auburn team like so many have before they are in for a rude awakening.

By far, this will be the best defense LSU has seen this season. It's Auburn's defense.

:au: 31

:lsu: .5

The bright spot for the wannabe tigers will be when they figure out how to score the half point that the bookies all talk about.

Second, your schedule is such a joke that you have not been on TV this year. moon.gif

i'm sick of this we've beaten no one crap. We slaughtered a USC team that played georgia close, and took care of an arkansas team that gave bammer all they wanted. The reason these teams look so crappy is because we hammered them. IF we don't beat USC they are a "good" team who gave georgia all they wanted and beat auburn at home. If we loose to Arky then they are a team on the rise who gave bama all they wanted and beat the defending sec champs. Just because FLA was overrated going into this season that means LSU has played this great schedule, don't forget about UT who also was way overrated this year. The point is that if LSU discounts this auburn team like so many have before they are in for a rude awakening.

189794[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is really "discounting" AU (well, none of the logical posters)....Its not a matter of "AU isn't any good because they have not played anyone" its more of "Just how good is a AU".. You can not argue with me that AU's schedule has been week thus far. Even if AU was playing poor this year you would still probably be sitting with the same record.

I know AU has gotten better since the Ga. Tech game so i'm not going to even bring that up. But AU fans continually bring up how bad LSU played D in its first 2 games...... If you have watched the past 3 games its like night and day. Went from almost dead last in defense to 14th.

Lets quit bringing up the first couple of games, we know both teams have improved remarkable. SHOULD BE VERY INTERSTING!!

189794[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is really "discounting" AU (well, none of the logical posters)....Its not a matter of "AU isn't any good because they have not played anyone" its more of "Just how good is a AU".. You can not argue with me that AU's schedule has been week thus far. Even if AU was playing poor this year you would still probably be sitting with the same record.

I know AU has gotten better since the Ga. Tech game so i'm not going to even bring that up. But AU fans continually bring up how bad LSU played D in its first 2 games...... If you have watched the past 3 games its like night and day. Went from almost dead last in defense to 14th.

Lets quit bringing up the first couple of games, we know both teams have improved remarkable. SHOULD BE VERY INTERSTING!!

189816[/snapback]

You, gs, are exactly right. Both AU and LSU have improved week to week. Matter of fact if you take out the 461 yards passing by ASU and look at just LSUs SEC games (as I put this another post) they averaging giving up 160.75 ypg passing. Each game since UT they have given up less, albeit to lesser opponents, but none the less, getting better. Such as against Vandy, the best passing O in the SEC, was held to 113 yards passing!!! Same can be said with AU. Arky was the best running O in the SEC, put 237 yards on Bama, AU held them in check giving up 148 yards!!!

It will be one of the hardest fought games of the SEC year IMO. Scratching and fighting the whole game I think. I think both offenses will have to work hard to get points.. sounds like last year huh? I do think there will be a little more scoring in this one. I don't think either D is as good as last years respectively..

189794[/snapback]

189816[/snapback]

You, gs, are exactly right. Both AU and LSU have improved week to week. Matter of fact if you take out the 461 yards passing by ASU and look at just LSUs SEC games (as I put this another post) they averaging giving up 160.75 ypg passing. Each game since UT they have given up less, albeit to lesser opponents, but none the less, getting better. Such as against Vandy, the best passing O in the SEC, was held to 113 yards passing!!! Same can be said with AU. Arky was the best running O in the SEC, put 237 yards on Bama, AU held them in check giving up 148 yards!!!

It will be one of the hardest fought games of the SEC year IMO. Scratching and fighting the whole game I think. I think both offenses will have to work hard to get points.. sounds like last year huh? I do think there will be a little more scoring in this one. I don't think either D is as good as last years respectively..

189827[/snapback]

yeah i'm just tired of hearing each teams fans say they have gotten better but disregarding that the other has not.

I'm guessing a 17-13 type of game. LSU's D seems to be coming together prety quick and I haven't seen much of AU's D, just the stats. I can't wait for this game, should be a good one.

189794[/snapback]

189816[/snapback]

189827[/snapback]

yeah i'm just tired of hearing each teams fans say they have gotten better but disregarding that the other has not.

I'm guessing a 17-13 type of game. LSU's D seems to be coming together prety quick and I haven't seen much of AU's D, just the stats. I can't wait for this game, should be a good one.

189829[/snapback]

I have been able to watch both teams virtually every week. If LSU was on TV I watched and those non televised Auburn games (only 2, WKU and Arky, I watched the first half of the Arky game on satellite). All other AU games I was there watching. I will say, not just b/c I am AU homer, but AU does have a very good D. The question mark was the secondary and they have proved to be good. I will admit LSU (and UT) have disappointed me this year. But, LSU has gotten better making this another scary game for me as an AU fan. I respect the LSU D, but I think our offense can and will put more than 20 points up. I think LSU can do the same to the AU D. I have to go with my team of course. I went with a 24-18, 24-21 type game.

Regardless, it is going to be a fantastic game!!!!

if either team scores 24, they win. it may not even take that many to win this game. it may be first one to 17. the fact is, and i said this last week and the week before and last season, no team in the country can put 30 on us. so if auburn can score 24, they win 18 of the last 19 (the only loss would be to tennessee in the sec title game last year).

i think the hidden thing in this game may be auburn's special teams. we were leading the sec in punt returns going into last week, and we led the nation in kick returns going into last week. AND devin had a 100+ yard return called back for holding against arkansas. there are a lot of hidden yards in there especially when you add in a punter like kody bliss. field position gave us a chance at the win last year, and i think we'll have an advantage at that this year too.

yeah, it's gonna be a fun ballgame when you're talking about hidden yards in field position the week before the game. can't wait to get to baton rouge.

As far as the guy up there stating none of our wins have been on T.V. you might want to come to the table with clear facts. Wasnt South Carolina and the MSU game on TV? I believe they were.

Just thought I would throw some things out there....

If you exclude the GA Tech game, the only tds that Auburn's 1st team defense has given up were touchdowns that were inside our own 30 yard line when the opposing team got the ball, even then most were forced into field goals.

So what this equates to?

In the past 5 ballgames, Au's first team offense/defense combined score against those opponents when the opponent has to drive from further back then our 30 yard line is-

AUBURN 197 POINTS SCORED

OPPONENTS 0 POINTS SCORED

To me its obvious, if Auburn can force opposing teams to play the long field, then I think we have a good chance to win in any game.

By far, this will be the best defense LSU has seen this season. It's Auburn's defense.

:lsu:   .5

The bright spot for the wannabe tigers will be when they figure out how to score the half point that the bookies all talk about.

189806[/snapback]

The best defense LSU will face all year is the defense we practice against all week.

LSU 34 AU 6

Just thought I would throw some things out there....

If you exclude the GA Tech game, the only tds that Auburn's 1st team defense has given up were touchdowns that were inside our own 30 yard line when the opposing team got the ball, even then most were forced into field goals.

So what this equates to?

In the past 5 ballgames, Au's first team offense/defense combined score against those opponents when the opponent has to drive from further back then our 30 yard line is-

AUBURN  197 POINTS SCORED

OPPONENTS 0 POINTS SCORED

To me its obvious, if Auburn can force opposing teams to play the long field, then I think we have a good chance to win in any game.

189862[/snapback]

That sure is a fun fact!

:lsu:   .5

189806[/snapback]

The best defense LSU will face all year is the defense we practice against all week.

LSU 34 AU 6

189863[/snapback]

Was it the LSU defense that caused all those offensive turnovers and offensive penalties against Vandy and UF?

One thing being over looked. Big conference game, at home, expecting to win after coming off a big win............ exactly the type of game that Les Miles teams have historically gotten blown out in.

We've already seen the Poke Choke from him with LSU this year.

Sooners even have fark threads dedicated to these.

Well, well , well............. If it is'nt that time of year again. LSWho and their "We are the GREATEST football team in the SEC and you all suck due to your "Easy" early schedule. You can argue all you want about how Arky, Miss. State, and USuCk are this season. I have to agree. But you have "BLOWN" a big lead at home to a less than great Tennessee team that has shown the world that they are pittiful on offense (RE: UGA game). You escaped ASU by the skin of your teeth, and the rest of your schedule has been less than average at best. LSU has shown that all you have to do to them is sustain the first 15:00 minutes of a game and watch their awesome "D" turn into a wilted yellow and purple daisy (RE: UT).

Either way, there's no love loss here between the two Tigers. LSU caught a break and won a "SHARE" of the National Championship a couple of years ago. Auburn goes 13-0 and get's the bridesmaid award. All this proves................ The SEC WEST has the best teams in the SEC and we will settle this on the filed come Saturday. If Auburn wins, then LSU is in the rearview mirror. If LSU wins, then Auburn has to hope for some help from Alabama and others.

I am excited about this game. Auburn can prove it's for real, or they can look for a possible Peach Bowl birth or less in the post season.

My prediction:

:au: 27

:lsu: 17

Arizona State fans are falling on the floor laughing at the so-called strength of the SEC being defense then....

Archived