Greetings from Laser Lemon

Laser Lemon

Hello Plainsmen!

At the outset, let me assure all of you that I am not hear to flame. Totally, understand that I am a guest, and I will respect your board. I do,however, really enjoy Auburn v. LSU game week and hope to get to know some of you guys and girls and talk football. Also, hope that some of you will be traveling to Baton Rouge for Saturday. Barring an unexpected turn by Wilma later this week, the weather on Saturday should be perfect, and hopefully moron LSU fans (who can typically be identified by their mullets and muscle shirts) will not create any problems. Feel free to whip their asses or shoot them if need be.

Enough of the preliminaries. I think that the game is going to be awesome. I watched Tubby's show last night and was impressed by your speed on defense. It looked like Arkansas had some success early on, but your defense slammed the door quick. Your receivers also looked huge and fast. I saw a couple of big hits on Cox, but he recovered well. Since I have not watched alot of Cox, you guys may legitimately think I am off base, but Cox reminds me of Matt Mauck. He can run the ball well and avoid the rush and he appears to make good decisions for only being a sophomore. In contrast, Jamarcus has a cannon, but he is alot like Aaron Brooks of the Saints. He is always good for one (or more) bone headed plays a game. Overall, he is improving and clearly talented, but I remain doubtful that he is capable of leading LSU to championships. Hope he proves me wrong, but I remain skeptical.

I like your back Tre Smith because he reminds me of Sammy Martin who played for LSU in the 1980's when I was at LSU. Sammy was bald at the age of 18. He did not shave his head; he was just bald. Do any of you guys remember Sammy Martin? He was real fast and occasionally hit some game breakers when Harvey Williams was on the sidelines. This is not intended to be prejudiced, but I love when a white running back can be successful because there are so few of them.

I have seen some criticism of your schedule, but I think that is off base as a predictor of the outcome of our game. Even assuming LSU's schedule has been tougher, the analysis is a wash because you have to factor in the fact that LSU has not played a complete game all year and I believe that Auburn has. I watched the Auburn v. South Carolina game on television and Auburn kicked South Carolina's ass in every phase of the game, start to finish. The score (although you hung 45 on them) was not even indicative of the domination. Since I watched it, I know Auburn could have scored 60-70 had they not unloaded the bench mid way in the third quarter and pulled back the reins on offense. By the way, I wished Tubby would have run it up on Spurrier and was somewhat disappointed by the substitutions. Any opinions on that?

On the other hand, LSU has not played a complete game this year. Barring a series of miracles at Arizona State, LSU has two losses instead of one. Both the Vanderbilt and MSU games were close at the half with LSU pulling away in the second half. I refuse to discuss the Tennessee game other than to say that if I were the supreme ruler of the universe I would have fired our entire coaching staff after the game. That is why I am not the supreme ruler of the universe. I still think Les and co. are searching for redemption and we have improved on defense but I will never forget blowing a 24-7 lead after the third quarter.

I said before the Florida game that LSU was due for a break out game and well it just did not happen. A friend of mine said the same thing last night regarding the Auburn game. Considering your speed on defense, I cannot imagine LSU breaking out on offense. I am convinced that this is going to be a slug fest. However, if LSU turns the ball over five times like it did against Florida, Auburn wins going away.

I know this is getting long, but who wants to work during game week. Again, I really like your quarterback, Cox. I don't want to take anything away from Chris Leak (he is in a bad situation in that spread offense as a drop back qb), but it was clear that he did not want to get hit. What scares me about Cox is that he may not have Leak's arm, but he is a gamer who will hold on to the ball until his receiver breaks open, deliver the ball and take the hit. Leak was unwilling to do the same. Also, Auburn has better receivers than Florida and again they look huge. I am afraid of your west coast passing attack and don't know whether our defense can adjust to it and LSU always has problems with an effective tight end and you clearly have one. The west coast scheme offsets LSU's speed on defense so I think Auburn is going to have success moving the ball by setting up the run with the pass.

Overall, I think the match ups are outstanding. I will not bore you with my comments regarding specific LSU players on defense, but will mention Ali Highsmith who has really turned some heads of late. He wears #7 and is really coming around as a defensive playmaker. Preseason we were thin at linebacker and his emergence has been a pleasant and needed surprise.

My only prediction concerning the Auburn offense v. LSU defense is to say that the match ups will ebb and flow throughout the game and that Auburn will need to be patient and not make mistakes trying to make plays in third and longs or in bad field position. This is also true concerning LSU's offense v. Auburn's defense. I always say there is nothing wrong with a punt and no need to force a play when it is third and twenty; yet if you have watched any of Jamarcus, you know that he has not grasped that concept altogether by throwing into coverage instead of just throwing the ball away. Good field position may just decide the outcome of this game because I really think it is going to be close until the end so if Jamarcus makes those type mistakes, LSU is going to be in trouble.

Well, I could write more but I will see if this gets some conversation going. I know you guys have a long standing rivaly with Alabama and Georgia and our tilt has only been important over the last recent years, but LSU v. Auburn has become my favorite game because of the possible implications and because some of our games have been so intense. As an aside, my favorite story regarding one of our games concerns the interception game LSU lost on the Plains. My best friend got married that night, and when his beautiful bride got to the altar, his first words were not "you look beautiful" or "I love you" but instead he said loud enough for his groomsmen to hear, "Did you see that F&%KING GAME!!?" She was not pleased. Needless to say, they were only married for a couple months.

Take care!

Laser Lemon

As an aside, my favorite story regarding one of our games concerns the interception game LSU lost on the Plains.  My best friend got married that night, and when his beautiful bride got to the altar, his first words were not "you look beautiful" or "I love you" but instead he said loud enough for his groomsmen to hear, "Did you see that F&%KING GAME!!?"  She was not pleased.  Needless to say, they were only married for a couple months.

190076[/snapback]

Lemon, you need new friends. Who gets married during football season??? :poke:

Good luck this weekend.

wow, this is the first time this year that an opposing sec team has given props to our offense. He actually posed the question of how are they going to stop us instead of how are we going to stop them. I'm blown away.

Welcome to the board. We always like to hear from civil fans of rivals. Although we do have more emotion about Bama and Georgia, the LSU game is recognized as routinely one of the two biggest steps on the road to Atlanta.

I agree with much of your comments, but please be careful and not get too negative on any individual player, regardless of jersey color. Our board is dedicated to the principle that the players are all young men that deserve our support and encouragement.

Learning to play quarterback is almost impossible. It must be done on the job under incredible pressure. Until you get a mature quarterback in his third year, the difference between a big play and a disaster is a bit of luck.

I think this game will go to the wire. Both defenses are good enough to keep it close. If either team makes a bunch of turnovers, it could get ugly for them.

War Eagle! :cheer::cheer:

wow, this is the first time this year that an opposing sec team has given props to our offense.  He actually posed the question of how are they going to stop us instead of how are we going to stop them.  I'm blown away.

190085[/snapback]

AU is being given props by the logical LSU fans.....yes AU has been accused of not playing anyone, but you have done what you are supposed to do with those teams so we can't knock you.

TigerForums has a poll asking "Is AU underrated"

The majority are saying AU is in fact UNDERRATED. Trust me a lot of LSU fans are worried about this game. We know you are good, the question is HOW GOOD?

TigerForums Poll "Is AU underrated?"

As an aside, my favorite story regarding one of our games concerns the interception game LSU lost on the Plains.  My best friend got married that night, and when his beautiful bride got to the altar, his first words were not "you look beautiful" or "I love you" but instead he said loud enough for his groomsmen to hear, "Did you see that F&%KING GAME!!?"  She was not pleased.  Needless to say, they were only married for a couple months.

190076[/snapback]

Lemon, you need new friends. Who gets married during football season??? :poke:

Good luck this weekend.

190081[/snapback]

I betcha SHE set the wedding date. :big:

Now back to the subject matter:

Anyway you look at it, it's gonna be BIG, LOUD & ROUGH

I believe Cox has made tremendous improvements, my concern this weekend is how he will be able to check off once AU gets to the line of scrimmage. I know Arky was a hostile environment, but it don't compare with Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night.

Here's to another classic game :cheers:

WDE :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Good post and welcome.

p.s. We are TIGERS :au: (REAL Tigers-Not plainsmen) :D

Welcome aboard LL!

:au: vs. :lsu: has turned into a pretty good rivalry over the past ten to twenty years. I always look forward to this game week.

The kicking and special teams could be huge in this game. I would say that which ever team shows up best in those areas and avoids turnovers, should win the game.

Welcome Lemon. I think most AU fans, if they're realistic, will admit that they don't know how to get a read on this game or this team. Bottom line is, you hit the nail on the head. We haven't really played a strong team but we have done exactly what we should do against those teams each week. Hopefully, that says thei AU club is legit, but who knows. I've been pointing to this game all season as the measuring stick.

LSU has as much or more talent than anyone on our schedule. I think LSU and UGA are neck and neck in that department so this game will tell us if we can truly play with the big boys or not. I look forward to another classic matchup.

This is the game I look forward to the most every year, no matter what. (the bammer game is just one of those things you HAVE to do each year, like getting a physical - both are pains in the a$$). Of course, the LSU game has extra implications in my house, as I am married to one of your :corndog: bretheren. We will be at this game, just like every AU - LSU game for the last four years. I have absolutely no idea how this will turn out. If LSU holds on to the football and Russell doesn't throw picks, it could be a slugfest. If not, and Auburn capitalizes, it could be ugly. But this game means a lot to LSU and it IS at home for you guys, so that is worth a few points right there. Auburn will have to do all it can to take the crowd out early or else!! I think it is going to be a very low scoring game, a lot like last year.

The interception game is my personal favorite too. :big:

One thing Laser Lemon forgot to add is that LSU probably has the best athletes in the SEC. That alone gives LSU the edge in this game. I will say this is maybe my favorite game of the year.

LSU week is by far my second favorite week of the year (of course, bama is #1). i haven't been in person since 2001, but i should make it on the plains next year. my all time fav. is the 97 game in baton rouge. gotta love d. craig with the last minute TD drive.

i'm real curious to see how our boys respond sat. nite. i'm pretty glad our schedule has shaped up like it has this year. it has given us time to develop some continuity and experience with the new backfield. i just wish GT would've been game 3, not game 1. oh, well.

weagles.

BEAT LSU!

Very nice read...

I too am very scared about this game as well. I think its going to be a hell of a game, but I will probably be on my toes for the whole game. I think this is a test of where this Auburn team stands at. I think the winner of this game will win the West...so there are huge implications at stake.

One thing Laser Lemon forgot to add is that LSU probably has the best athletes in the SEC.  That alone gives LSU the edge in this game.  I will say this is maybe my favorite game of the year.

190137[/snapback]

This is by far my favorite game of the year....being that a lot of my friends are AU fans it makes it very interesting. :D

Welcome Laser! I find LSU fans very interesting, some are the nicest people in the world(i actually have a lot of friends that attend LSwho) and some are awful, but thats how it goes with every school.....except Auburn :P . Anyways, I think this game comes down to quaterback play. If cox avoids the blitzes, which im sure LSU is gonna pull straight out of the gate, then :au: will fair well. If Russel can avoid the bomb passes then :lsu: will fair well. Either way it will be a good game !

Archived