CFN mid-season report

auwallace

cfb news has us at twelve in their rankings yet they predict us to finish 7-4, 8-3 maybe but i'll be damned if we lose all three of our big games left, do they not realize our recent record against top ten opponents?

cfb news has us at twelve in their rankings yet they predict us to finish 7-4, 8-3 maybe but i'll be damned if we lose all three of our big games left, do they not realize our recent record against top ten opponents?

190019[/snapback]

While I don't agree with the 7-4 record.....the 12th ranking is based on "right now" not how you will finish.

I don't have too much of a problem with the 7-4 prediction, two reasons...

1) I like the "us against the world attitude" things like that bring. I hope the players read stuff like that so they always feel like they're plaing from behind. I believe it brings out more of a fighting spirit in the players and I also love when we upset another team that didn't see it coming (UF 93, 94, 01; LSU 00, 02, 04; GA 00, 01).

2) We lost to GA Tech (unranked) and have not beaten a ranked team. I can see how a pollster might postulate that we will lose our 3 remaining games against top 6 teams.

We will win 2 of 3 of those games, however.

The Tigers have to take the rest of this season just as we did last season, and that is ONE game at a time. We could very easily lose all of our big games, but we are also very very capable of winning them. There is a lot of great AU football left to be played this year, and we need to not be discouraged by what some writer who gets paid to write his "expert" analysis has to say. I have all the faith in the world in CTT and the Tigers and know that we will be just fine.

WDE

Just for the "heck" of it, let's shoot for winning three out of three! :D:cheer:

I don't have too much of a problem with the 7-4 prediction, two reasons...

1)  I like the "us against the world attitude" things like that bring.  I hope the players read stuff like that so they always feel like they're plaing from behind.  I believe it brings out more of a fighting spirit in the players and I also love when we upset another team that didn't see it coming (UF 93, 94, 01; LSU 00, 02, 04; GA 00, 01).

2)  We lost to GA Tech (unranked) and have not beaten a ranked team.  I can see how a pollster might postulate that we will lose our 3 remaining games against top 6 teams.

We will win 2 of 3 of those games, however.

190036[/snapback]

We haven't even beaten a team with a winning record; forget the I-AA victory over WKU. We put ourselves into this situation. NO TEAM will ever win a NC "flying under the radar", nobody. I wish that we would adopt the "king of the hill" philosophy instead of the little brother, also ran, but gave it a good effort mantra...

Until Tubby stops insisting that we play "preseason" games, and therefore a loss in "preseason" is not significant, we will never win a NC. This thought process is also what leads to our sub-par poll placement. Inconsistent performance = No benefit of the doubt from pollsters. IMO.

:au:

First off, some of you need to realize that Tubby is not the ultimate authority in scheduling.

As far as ravens quote:

Inconsistent performance = No benefit of the doubt from pollsters. IMO.

Is Alabama not guilty of the above? Hell I could list alot of teams that are guilty of this but are still ranked in the top ten - fifteen each year.

Inconsistent? How many games have we won consistently in the SEC in a row? Although we may not be playing for a NC each year, winning the SEC locks you into the BCS, which 117 teams fight for.

I do agree in one aspect. We need to stop being a bunch of panzies and start thinking like a champion. So Im gonna have to actually agree with Raven here. Too many Auburn fans have the attitude," i like being below the radar." How about wanting the bullseye because you can handle it type attitude?

Last season was a dream. It was the kind of season that Auburn fans deserve. It was great and I loved every minute of it. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

The only thing that bothers me about it is the expectations it creates. Perfect seasons are rarities. Reality is that almost every team in the country -- and in most years EVERY team -- will lose games.

That said, the thing that inspires, excites and encourages me most is that -- thanks to the coaching staff we have now -- I no longer look at an Auburn football schedule and say to myself "we'll probably lose this game or that game"

For the last three years for certain we have entered every single contest on our schedule with a realistic expectation that we would or could win. The key word there is realistic. There is a huge difference in hoping to win and having a legitimate, quantifiable chance at winning. The results may not always be there -- GT, for instance -- but the possibilities have been. For those of you older than, say, ten... you know that wasn't always the case.

I can say without hesitation that there are few teams in the nation who can look at their schedule year in and year out and not automatically mark off a game or two as a probable loss. Auburn is no longer in that category. We have a fighting chance week in and week out. From the posts I read here and other places, I don't think some of you realize how special that is and just how awesome it is to be an Auburn fan right now.

I, for one, could give a warmed-over ratt's butt what the pollsters think of our team right now or how they predict we will finish. For all intents and purposes we are in a "rebuilding" year. And yet, unlike other teams in this league and others, I don't see a significant dropoff in our ability to compete.

As long as the program continues to build as it is now and as long as we don't allow ourselves to get complacent, things like the polls will take care of themselves. Last year's season was not a miracle. It was not a fluke. If we all keep the faith and stay the course, things like that will become the rule rather than the exception.

*crash*

soapbox fell over. end diatribe.

That "loving to fly under the radar" syndrome at Auburn has it's roots deeeeeeeeeep in our school's culture. It took decades of being treated like a "red headed stepchild" by that other school across the state as well as by the media before we finally began thinking that's what we were....Hell, if you tell a child long enough that he is stupid, lazy, a failure, etc., he will eventually believe it. That's what happened to us because I've been around 61 years and watched it happen!!!!!!!! That is the primary reason why I have no use for the Bammers and never will...............

No coach ever dealt with it as successful as Pat Dye did. The reason he did, is he coached over there and KNEW what kind of mind games and tactics they used. Bryant even said himself that Auburn had brought a superior team to Bham several times and yet lost to the Tide because they were intimidated....That's true and when you factor in crooked referees bought by Bryant, and a homer crowd, who wouldn't be? Moving our game to JHS PROVED THAT and that's why they feared moving the game....

This "loving to be under the radar" is a serious condition but not necessarily terminal. CTT would be well advised to better acquaint himself with this condition and begin to take up where CPD left off in infusing confidence, preparedness, a positive attitude and loving a challenge. When you consider everything carefully, that is the ONLY thing, along with scheduling panzie games that has happened to keep us from winning it all.!! ;) Last year proved that much to me.....If this "condition' is ignored, then things will never change at Auburn and the Bammers know that. Remember, when we were doing so good last year is when the media wanted to bring up "Jetgate" again and Finescum was attempting to resurrect it. Also, Jacobs stirred up a pot with his untimely termination of some black employees and gave the media even more negative publicity. My point is..........when Auburn is doing good is when the naysayers and scumbags come out of the woodword and start talking trash... ever think why that DOESN"T happen to Bammer? War Damn Eagle....

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Fe...idseasonSEC.htm

"The SEC Champion will be ... LSU over Georgia

The team is just starting to jell at the right time. The second half of the season has a nice mix of cupcakes and killers with only two tests left: Auburn and at Alabama. The Tiger defense should be humming by the time it faces the Tide, and then should shut down the Georgia offense in the title game."

"Coach of the Midseason – Les Miles, LSU

Of course, Alabama’s Mike Shula and Vanderbilt’s Bobby Johnson have to be in the mix, but Miles has not only had to deal with Arizona State, Tennessee and Florida, but the high expectations of Tiger fans in the first year after Nick Saban, and all the distractions of Hurricane Katrina. It’s easy to forget all the off-the-field problems the LSU program has had to deal with, and Miles, despite problems in the loss to Tennessee, has to be hailed for keeping the team together enough to pull off a win at Arizona State."

Oh, Ellis Hugh is back. I thought I had stepped in something... :puppy:

The fact that CFN said Les (is not more) Miles is the Coach of the Year mid season proves that the writer is smoking something serious and deadly. If it wasn't for his assnt coach, Miles would have called a TIME OUT after a turnover!! He coached for overtime with two minutes left against a team that had outscored him 27-3 in the second half!!! And THAT is COTY material??? :blink::bs: The writer OBVIOUSLY wrote this prior to the Vandy and Florida games.

My vote would have been Bobby Johnson.

Jenny, my friend LSUtigah told me to tell you not to get your panties in a wad. It will be okay despite the fact that LSU is picked to win out and win the SEC and Auburn is slated to finish 7-4.

Granted Miles made some mistakes during the Tennessee game but given the fact that LSU's 1st game (a tune-up game against North Texas), which was a home game, was rescheduled for November 5; the 2nd game, also at home, was moved 2 days before to Tempe, Arizona to play #15 Arizona State; the 3rd game, another home game, was moved to a Monday night - all 3 inconveniences due to circumstances beyond Miles' control, I'd say that for LSU to be 4-1 after having played 3 top #15 schools under such adverse conditions is a credit to Miles. He's no Saban but can you give me another example of any other coach in the history of NCAA football to have faced such adversity to begin his career at a new school. If Miles didn't keep this team together or his coaching isn't that good under the situations he has faced this year then you must be ready to admit that LSU is so loaded with talent that they should never lose.

i'll be damned if we lose all three of our big games left, do they not realize our recent record against top ten opponents?

190019[/snapback]

You mean your record against top 10 opponets LAST YEAR. Didn't you lose 4 first round draft picks to the NFL. You have a very different team this year and no one knows how good you are because you have played the 90th ranked schedule in the country.

If AU loses to LSU, I could see the season swirling down the drain. However, I think AU will beat either LSU or UGA.

190065[/snapback]

Kinda' like uat's "season" goin' "down the drain" if it loses to UT.

That is not a bold prediction at all. I can hear the radio talk shows buzzin' with "flipper has gotta go!" talk within minutes of the end of the UT game. ;)

He's no Saban but can you give me another example of any other coach in the history of NCAA football to have faced such adversity to begin his career at a new school. 

190119[/snapback]

I guess Terry Bowden would come to mind :lol:

i'll be damned if we lose all three of our big games left, do they not realize our recent record against top ten opponents?

190019[/snapback]

You mean your record against top 10 opponets LAST YEAR. Didn't you lose 4 first round draft picks to the NFL. You have a very different team this year and no one knows how good you are because you have played the 90th ranked schedule in the country.

190157[/snapback]

StatTiger can back me up on this, Auburn has beaten several Top-10 teams prior to last year, and as for the rest of your response you shall recieve the Captain Obvious award with a certificate of redundancy. Congrats :cheer: .

Jenny, my friend LSUtigah told me to tell you not to get your panties in a wad.  It will be okay despite the fact that LSU is picked to win out and win the SEC and Auburn is slated to finish 7-4.

190119[/snapback]

If he has to use you to speak for him, he is in bad shape.

I'd say that for LSU to be 4-1 after having played 3 top #15 schools under such adverse conditions is a credit to Miles.  He's no Saban but can you give me another example of any other coach in the history of NCAA football to have faced such adversity to begin his career at a new school.  If Miles didn't keep this team together or his coaching isn't that good under the situations he has faced this year then you must be ready to admit that LSU is so loaded with talent that they should never lose.

190119[/snapback]

This is not an award for "A Coach Who's Players Are Talented Enough to WIN In Spite of the Fact That He's Their Coach". This is for "Midseason Coach Of The Year". Giving him credit for the resiliency of the players is stupid. Same story at Alabama the past two years - lots of talent, ZERO coaching skills.

I have never said that LSU is not talented. In fact, I think they are VERY talented. The fact that they are talented is the only thing that has kept them from being 0-5 at this point. Yes, they have been through and overcome more crap than any group of kids should ever face. But the PLAYERS have done this on their own because they are talented and that is worth SOMETHING, despite their coaching. Maybe they had good high school coaches and some of that stuck. The LSU COACHES are AWFUL. LSU's struggles against every single team they have played are reflective of the fact that their coaching across the board SUCKS. Miles does not make the most of the talent he has. There is a reason Jimbo was not part of the group that went to Miami with Saban. And I will never understand why you guys hired the guy who coached a defensive squad that LSU DECIMATED in the BCS Champ game.

Lester has a history of blowing big leads - think 35-7 turning into 49-35 against Texas last year - 49 unanswered points by the Horns. Then Tennessee this year. You guys pulled out AZ State by the skin of your teeth. Tried to give it away to Florida too. Nice little pattern forming here...

The players bring raw talent to the game, and this year's team has it in spades. But talent ain't squat without coaching. Coaches should also provide discipline and focus. The LSU team has been undisciplined and completely unfocused in their last two games - multiple turnovers and TONS of penalties for stupid things like false starts and other mental errors. THAT is why Miles ain't anywhere close to COTY. In my opinion, he is "Coach Most Likely To Get A Buy Out after Two Years".

190019[/snapback]

190157[/snapback]

we've beaten more teams in the top ten in the past five or so years than anyone in the country

just so we can clear this up: auburn has more wins over teams that finished with 3 or less losses over the past three years than any team in the country with 7 (2002 alabama, 2003 tennessee, 2004 lsu, tennessee, georgia, tennessee, and virginia tech) so it wasn't just last year. over the same stretch? lsu has 4 (2003 georgia, ole miss, georgia, and oklahoma). so don't talk to me about being a one year wonder since lsu was 0-2 in 2002 and 0-3 in 2004.

auburn's gotten it done agianst top flight competition year in, year out. so cfn's assumption that auburn is going 0 for the money this year seems a little rediculous.

as for the underdog mentality, i love it. and yes, you can win and win big with that mentality. the red sox won the series last year with it. the patriots won the bowl with it a few years back. the kansas state wildcats won the big 12 two years ago with it. and auburn has won a lot of football games playing with a chip on its shoulder. so personally, i hope people keep writing us off and writing us off, and we keep playing guys like dontarrius thomas and travis williams and courtney taylor and will herring. those are the kinds of guys that have built this program. guys very few people wanted who just can't ever look at themselves as anything but the underdog.

war damn eagle and t-minus 4 days until we prove everyone wrong again!

This "loving to be under the radar" is a serious condition but not necessarily terminal. CTT would be well advised to better acquaint himself with this condition and begin to take up where CPD left off in infusing confidence, preparedness, a positive attitude and loving a challenge.

190105[/snapback]

Actually, IMHO, I think CTT is doing just that with the team. Looking at all of last year, most of this, and the way we came back against Arkansas, I don't think the team has any problem with confidence, preparedness, positive attitude, and challenges. I don't think the team considers themselves second best to anyone and would like the chance to whip everyone to prove it. I attribute that to CTT, his assistants, and Chette Williams.

Now the fans, that may be another story. It may take a while for that confidence to trickle down to fans with a long time inferiority complex, but it's getting there.

In any case, there is one sure solution to the problem: KEEP ON WINNING! Do that, and everything else will take care of itself.

Archived