Prothro update

rolltoomer

A caller to Finebaum--sounded like a reporter--was calling in to comment on a "story we reported in our paper" about Prothro having a rejection reaction to the metal rod in his leg, which was "removed on Monday".

The rod will be left out "for a couple' weeks" and then reinserted.

I tuned in late to this conversation and then didn't catch the guy's name as he finished the conversation.

Haven't been able to find anything on it anywhere on the web.

Anyone else hear this?

Stainless steel is an inert substance. If there is a problem that forced its removal it is most likely infection. As long as a foreign body is left at the site of infection it is extremely difficult to irradicate the bacteria. (Did you see Master and Commander?)

This was a compound fracture in dirt - this makes it a dirty would by definition and I am not the least bit surprised to see a problem with infection as it is very common. (In fact before antibiotics compound fractures had a VERY high death rate).

What surprises me is the statment t "it is not staph". Granted high level resistance in staph is bad news but it makes me really wonder what is involved. Staph is one of the first organisms you would empirically treat in a compound fracture as it is normal flora. There are some organisms that can be much more difficult to treat.

I heard some of that interview and they were making the case that his body rejected the rod.

Finebaum also tried to stir up the poopoo by saying that when Brodie Croyle was hurt he was flown to Birmingham for one of the top surgeons to do the operation. Now Tyrone Prothro gets hurt and he is left in Tuscaloosa for the team Dr. to do the operation. Basically Finebaum was making a racial issue of the two operations.

I reached my destination and did not hear any more.

They are crazy doing this in Tuscaloosa (and I assume their team doctor) when they could go 50 miles to B'ham and have it done by someone like Dr. Andrews.

Guest Tigrinum Major

The nature of the injury was the concern for Prothro to have the surgery as soon as possible. DCH isn't some country hospital, it is a state of the art place. From what I understand, neither Lemack nor Andrews were readily available and time was of the essence.

As far as Les Fowler, I don't know much about him. He did operate on AC Carter. He was one of Bryant's players. That is the extent of my knowledge of him.

The nature of the injury was the concern for Prothro to have the surgery as soon as possible.  DCH isn't some country hospital, it is a state of the art place. From what I understand, neither Lemack nor Andrews were readily available and time was of the essence.

As far as Les Fowler, I don't know much about him.  He did operate on AC Carter.  He was one of Bryant's players.  That is the extent of my knowledge of him.

190741[/snapback]

AC was one of Bryant's players????

As far as Les Fowler, I don't know much about him.  He did operate on AC Carter.  He was one of Bryant's players. 

190741[/snapback]

That should really reassure Tyrone and his family! :(

Guest Tigrinum Major
The nature of the injury was the concern for Prothro to have the surgery as soon as possible.  DCH isn't some country hospital, it is a state of the art place. From what I understand, neither Lemack nor Andrews were readily available and time was of the essence.

As far as Les Fowler, I don't know much about him.  He did operate on AC Carter.  He was one of Bryant's players.  That is the extent of my knowledge of him.

190741[/snapback]

AC was one of Bryant's players????

190743[/snapback]

Les Fowler was one of Bryant's players. Sorry for the poorly worded statement.

I think he played in the 70's. Not a star, maybe a running back? Really not sure.

Archived