We Win as the AU Family, We Lose as the AU Family!

DKW 86

From an insider's e-mail:

It has been brought to my attention by many of you that John Vaughn has been taking some abuse from some very short sighted people.  I have heard he has gotten hate mail etc....These are not real Auburn fans.  I think John should hear from a representation of what 99.9% of Auburn people think of him.   .

If you would like to send him some words of encouragement, please place it here, I will e-mail it to him later on in bulk.

DKW 86

John, I hope you are a bigger man than some. I think I was more worried about how you were going to bear up under the fire after the game. We know that you wish and work hard for nothing but the best for the team, the university, and the fans.

We hope you will forgive some of us that in our hurt from the loss have singled you out for blame.

At :au: We win as a family, We lose as a family.

John, everybody has bad days. That's an easy lesson in life to learn. The harder part is learning to be a better person as a result. So put it behind you and things will get better. Pay no attention to those who have never set foot in any arena of competetion, particularly not in front of so many loud fans.

And most of all just remember......it's always great to be an Auburn Tiger :cheer:

John,

You have been a key part of many AUBURN TEAM wins in the past and you will be a part of MANY AUBURN TEAM wins in the future. Put it behind you and get ready for the remaining games. There is still much to be won.

p.s. I am extremely proud of your character in handling this whole situation. You, and the TEAM, will be stronger for it!

God Bless & WAR :au: EAGLE ! ! !

Tim

Thanks John for working so hard. Many fans could learn a lesson from you

about having the right attitude. Good things are coming your way.

We are proud of you and the team :cheer:

War Eagle!

Guest Tigrinum Major

John,

As a lifelong Auburn fan, I can say that I have seen some great games over the years. Saturday night was no exception. While the end was one that I did not like, I am proud of our team. All of our team. Every member of our team.

There is nothing I can say to make things right for all the hurtful things that have been said by other supposed fans. But I have never let that stop me before.

Put the loss behind you (as an individual and more importantly, as a team) and make us proud the rest of the year. Strong men are not those who do not make mistakes, but those that get up from their mistakes and persevere. "The race eventually goes to the man who thinks he can win." Words spoken by Pat Dye, but that still serve us well today.

Kicking a winning field goal will not make you a better person in my eyes. Your facing up to the press and doing so with class makes you one already. I wish you well in the future, no matter you endeavors. Anyone who does any less is not a true Auburn man or woman.

Thank you for your hard work and many enjoyable Staurdays over the past few years. War Eagle.

Randall

John,

I know the team and coaches are behind you 100%, and so am I! Don't let anyone else make you feel otherwise.

The future is very bright for our Auburn Tigers and you are a key part of that future!

War Eagle!

Mr. Vaughn,

It has come to my attention that you have been the victim of asinine comments made by some of the so-called "fans" of Auburn University and its football program. Please take these comments with a grain of salt and keep your head up high.

As you grow older you will realize that these days at Auburn were some of the best of your life. You'll look back fondly at your days on the Plains and the championship programs you have been associated with. If you continue to work hard and deal with adversity with class, great things will come your way( and I'm not just talking about on the football field.)

Any of us fans that have children can't imagine what kind of idiot it takes to lash out at a college student playing a game that is giving his all each play. I think back to one of your teammates, Ben Obamanu, and how he was embraced by our Auburn family after the 2003 Ole Miss game, in which he dropped a pivotal pass that could have won Auburn the game. He didn't mope around or hang his head. He continued to work just as hard as he had been, and he rewarded true Auburn fans for their support a few weeks later with a spectacular catch and run for a touchdown against Alabama. Here's hoping similar results for you. War Eagle!!!

John,

First, I want you to know that we (the true Auburn fans) are behind you. You've been great in the past, and you'll be great in the future. Nothing about what the coaches are teaching or the way you are kicking needs to be changed. Just stay confident and the kicks will straighten up.

Next, I'd like to remind you of a source of inspiration that you may or may not need. Look around the locker room and go talk to #2 Ben Obomanu. I've had the pleasure of knowing him a while, and he's a great guy. It was just two years ago that he dropped a game winner against Ole Miss. He like you faced the music after that mistake and used it to fuel his progress as a player. Now, he's one of the most prolific scoring receivers in Auburn history.

You can be just as successful as he has been, just stick with it and hold your head up. I look forward to your next trot out onto the field and the redemption it will provide. War Eagle John!

Mitch McGuffey, 6th year senior

John,

There are some very shallow people in this world, who never remember the good and the great, but only the bad and disappointing. A football game is not a life or death situation, regardless of what these people think. It is also a team sport. Think about how your coaches and teammates lock arms and come on the field as a TEAM. A true team takes the ups and downs together, and you are just one member of a team. Any real Auburn fan knows this, and does not fault you at all for this last game.

You can't go through life without encountering failure. Unfortunately for you, it was on a very public scale. I think some of your detractors would be mighty embarassed to have their mistakes aired out for everyone to see. Hopefully, this will be the worst thing that ever happens to you - if it is, then you will be way ahead in the game.

Hank Aaron once said: My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging... Reggie Jackson pointed out that the best home run hitters made LOTS of strike-outs.

I hope you will take a page from the book of old Hammerin' Hank and Mr. October, and keep on swinging for the home run. The entire Auburn family is behind you. We have faith in you, and share faith with you.

War Eagle, God bless and BEAT BAMA!!!!!

Best wishes,

Jennifer

John,

You know your position. You'll either be a goat or a hero. Today some may be calling you a goat, but don't listen. You've done good in the past and will do so again in the future. Just put last week behind you and expect to be a hero!

War Eagle!!

John,

It was a tough night but we still have confidence in your abilities. You have shown it to us too many times in the past, for us to forget because of one rough game. The next time a game is on the line, I know I will be glad that we have someone of your caliber on our sidelines waiting to send us to victory.

War Eagle (AU 1991)

John,

Keep your head up and know that we are behind you. Looking forward to seeing you right back out there kicking those field goals on Saturday.

War Eagle,

Kim

John, everbody has a bad day or two. It is how we pick ourselves up that defines who we are. Of those being critical, use it as motivation to show them how dumb their negative statements about you really are. Don't hang your head down, but instead keep it held high and keep working hard so that those bad days become fewer and fewer.

War Damn Eagle!!!

John,

Keep your head up. Everyone has bad days. In fact, I'm having one right now. One thing that is lifting my spirits as I type this is knowing that I am a part of an extended Auburn family, just as you are, too. A few missed field goals on a windy night will not change that.

Thanks for all you've done for us in the past, and I look foward to celebrating your many successes of the future.

WAR DAMN EAGLE, BUDDY! ALWAYS AND FOREVER!

James Evans

AU '93

John,

First, I want to tell you that I admire how you have shown courage in facing the difficult loss. Anybody who does not know that you would do anything to make any kick you attempt for your school and your team is an idiot. My dad always told me to NEVER listen to idiots.

Second, I want to tell you that you are a valuable part of the Auburn family. I am proud to call you a brother in that family.

Third, you have had the privilege of doing something that very few of us rabid AU fans have ever done: Wear the Auburn jersey on the field of play. More than that you have made our team a winner. I am willing to wager, that those goobs that I refer to in part one have NEVER donned the jersey...and have certainly never contributed to a win.

Last, does it hurt to lose? Yes. But I know you know that...

Here's to our next win!

:au: War Eagle :au:

Scott Greenwood

Class of 1988

War Eagle John! Hang in there. Those idiots who are sending you hate mail and egging your house are not true Auburn fans!!! Everyone has a bad night and it was a team loss, not yours. My son goes to LSU but is a big Auburn fan (when we don't play him), he is in the band, and he said to tell you to keep your head up. He thinks you are pretty cool. He said that is such a stupid thing for people to do! I agree. You have been there for us many times before and it will happen again.

When times are tough, people resort to drastic measures and it is not your fault. We are an Auburn family and we should stick together. Some of these people should remember the lean years in the late 70's and early 80's, we never went to a bowl game or had a winning record when I was in school. They didn't blame the kicker then and they shouldn't now.

We are proud of you and know that you will do well from now on!

War Eagle! :cheer::au::cheer::P

Hey John,

A big WAR EAGLE to you!!

I am sure you know this in your heart.....

Judge ye not, lest ye be judged.

Those that would be your detractors certainly must not.

It's all about how we handle adversity that really counts, keep your head held high. You are part of the greatest family and team there is. War Eagle!!

I personally look forward to seeing step back on the field and helping OUR team to victory!!

John:

We are behind you 100%. You are part of the Auburn family and we stand behind you. Rest confident in that and pay no attention to those few who cast stones. They do not represent the majoority of fans.

We all have days in our life that cause us despair. How we react to them is what truly makes us a winner and I know you are a winner!

War Eagle!

Archived