Villanova off

ValleyTiger

Wonder if Troy will be available........of course, the chances of that happening are slim to none and slim just came down with the avian flu.

It is of no benefit to Auburn to schedule Troy. As much of a hard time we give Bama about not playing UAB, it does make sense at least in football. All you do is elevate their program and create more competition for recruits in your area. You're expected to pound them, but if they play you close or, heaven forbid, manage to catch you in a down year and knock you off you get lambasted in the media for it. It's no win.

You're expected to pound them, but if they play you close or, heaven forbid, manage to catch you in a down year and knock you off you get lambasted in the media for it.  It's no win.

192962[/snapback]

Kind of like playing Western Kentucky, Ball State, The Citadel, La Tech, Appalachian State, or any of the directional Michigan schools.

I think adding one of the other two state schools to the schedule would be a lot better than beating up on any of the OOC scrimage games :au: has played this year (outside of GaTech). Troy or UAB would beat any of the schools I named rather handily on the field.

Getting excited for a game against the Blazers or Trojans would be easier than tuning in for the snoozer against the Cardinals, Hilltoppers, or other fodder normally scheduled out of conference.

Villanova Off.............(Insert D1-AA School here) on, come on guys heres our chance to schedule a crappy school from a good conference to "beef" up our schedule. Let's play Baylor or Illinois or some body besides Western Ken-freakin-tucky.

I would like to see AU schedule an 8 to 10 years series with a decent team from a major conference. That way a rivalry has time to develop. A ten year series with Colorado, Nebraska, Boston College, Clemson, Michigan or a PAC10 school would be great. IMHO

I would like to see AU schedule an 8 to 10 years series with a decent team from a major conference.  That way a rivalry has time to develop.  A ten year series with Colorado, Nebraska, Boston College, Clemson, Michigan or a PAC10 school would be great.  IMHO

192999[/snapback]

I agree...My vote is Hawaii....

Seriously I do agree with you. it would suit me fine. My vote is for USC, Penn State (cause it p.o. UAT), or maybe someone like and AZ St. Wish we had the year in year out rivalry outside the SEC.

I would like to see AU schedule an 8 to 10 years series with a decent team from a major conference.  That way a rivalry has time to develop.  A ten year series with Colorado, Nebraska, Boston College, Clemson, Michigan or a PAC10 school would be great.  IMHO

192999[/snapback]

That would be great. I agree totally. Actually, I wish we'd do that with Ga. Tech. We have to even out the recent buttkickings we took and pay them back.

Uh, what about the out of SEC school there is a rivalry with already, Ga Tech. Yes they won twice, and the second never should have happened, but I bet there are plenty of people that would like to see it renewed on a more permanant basis.

Auburn Villanova history, I think this was why it was scheduled in the first place

a, reunion of sorts.

If Auburn played Troy, UAB, Alabama A&M etc it would at least keep the majority

of the cash in the state, plus I would bet there would be pretty good turnout.

Bacardi Bowl played just one time in Havana, Cuba. The game ended in a tie. Auburn’s bowl history began in 1937 when the Tigers and Villanova tied 7-7 in the Bacardi Bowl, sometimes referred to as the Rhumba Bowl or the Cigar Bowl, the climaxing event of Cuba’s annual National Sports Festival. The game was played in Havana, Cuba, and is the first and only bowl game to ever be played outside the United States. An Auburn drive in the first quarter stalled on the 10-yard line where the Wildcats took over on downs. After a Villanova punt, Auburn back Billy Hitchcock broke loose around left end and rambled 40 yards for the Tigers only score. The score at the half was Auburn 7, Villanova 0.

Auburn stopped a Villanova drive on its own 12-yard line during the third quarter but couldn’t get field position. Villanova was able to tie the score when they blocked an Auburn quick kick and the ball bounced into the endzone where Wildcat Lineman Matthews Kuber fell on it for the score. The PAT tied up the game.

:ucrazy:

c'mon, if its a series you want it needs to be within driving distance.

Otherwise it would be a hardship on fans and team alike.

I can see the difficulty in finding one that will work.

with that in mind I would like to see

Florida State

Clemson

Louisville

NC State

North Carolina

Georgia Tech

second choices

MTSU

UAB

Southern Miss

Memphis

Duke

:au: Duke? MTSU? Naw, I can see Southern Miss (maybe). They field a decent team every once in a while. I wish Ga. Tech would be a regular game on our schedule. Close proximity, good history, and we owe them! :au:

Ga Tech would be a natural. Great fit. I wonder, has this been attempted? :au:

I don't know whether either us of GA Tech has attempted to re-start the rivalry on a more "permanent" basis, but I doubt it. I don't know the AU feelings on it, but think about it from GT's point of view - they already have UGA as a permanent on their schedule. Do you really think they want to add two SEC power's every year? Doubtful.

Having said that, I'd personally love to see GT added as a yearly game.

I like the Ga. Tech deal, and a second choice for me would be a Clemson or FSU. But we all know that FSU won't do that, so Ga. Tech or Clemson. North Carolina might not be bad deal either.

I realize the traveling to a distant game is an issue for a lot of people, especially if it were a year in year out situation like USC or AZ St. That being taken into account then I'm with some of the other folks in trying to Re-kindle the FSU or GT series......outside of those two a Clemson, NC, or NCstate may be good as well.

Auburn vs. Texas was a great matchup in the late 80's / early '90s, and would be even greater today . . . Austin is a long drive, but well worth it. Plus, so long as the Bull Crap Series is in place, both schools could benefit from a (consistent) marquee opponent to provide a strength-of-schedule boost.

Probably would never happen, but we can dream . . .

I have resigned to myself that any Div. 1 teams are ok by me...Just tired of having so many patsies on the schedule for the price that is paid for tickets.

Archived