Our offense....my opinion, which ain't much

Ranger12

Our offense is killing me the way it seems to sputter when we get inside the 40 yard line.

Offensive line...Our O-line has got to improve with the pass blocking before we play UGA! Cox could complete alot more passes if he had more then 2 seconds to find a receiver!

QB....Speaking of Cox, even though I think Cox is doing a great job in his first year as a starter, my only complaint about him is that it seems like there are times he is too quick with throwing the ball away when it looks like he could pick up positive yardage by tucking and running it. I know there was a couple of times today where it looked like he had at least 15 yards open ahead of him, but he threw it away. Otherwise, I think Cox is doing an outstanding job.

Special Teams...I hope Tre is not having a recurrence of that "fumble-itis" he had a couple of years ago. Vaughn looks like he has held his head high and not let last week get in his head. No need for a sports shrink IMO!

RBs...Irons is becoming our stud!!! When Lester gets healthy, I am having visions of another Caddy/Brown combo. Stewart looks like he is the best hands of the RBs. It looks like Borges likes to go with him when a RB swings out on pass plays. Irons is doing pretty good in that category also.

Receiving...So far, I think Rodriguez has stepped up as our got to guy when it comes to WR. Taylor is not far behind, but Rod seems to hold on to more of his catches this year compared to the rest of the WRs on the team. Devin and Ben seem to be hanging on to more passes compare to the unusual high number of drops the had to start the year.

WDE!!!!!!!

You're right IMO! I'm proud of the way our OL has improved their run blocking and of Irons for the way he has picked the pace up. Also, Brandon is going to be a great one and the D is holding their own.

With all that said, IMO we are going to have to improve tremendously to beat :uga: and the :ua: . The crowd at Georgia will equal if not exceed the intensity level at :lsu: We will have to come out of the gate faster, knock folks around,and make plays to beat the turds at home. I th ink we can do all this but we just have to improve our execution on pass blocking and limit our turnovers. Also, our receivers have to learn to hold onto the ball..... :au::cheer:

I agree the OL had some breakdowns on pass protection but Cox also holds the ball too long at times. I wish we would run more slants.

Why would the qb throw the ball out of the end zone an fourth down?

193510[/snapback]

Yeah, I was yelling at the TV on that one. :lol: That is just a wasted play. In that situation when you have no open receivers, you should at least try to tuck it and run and see if you can make something happen. Throwing the ball away on fourth and goal should not be an option at all.

The only reason I can think of why Cox throws the ball away when he has some room to run is that maybe Borges has forbid him because of fear of injury. If that was the case, I still would disagree with it, but I ain't the coach.

Well, it could also be so that there is less risk of loss of yardage which would give the other team a little more room to do their thing after the turnover on downs.

On the qb issues-

Cox is very, very accurate

Cox does not want/like to run-look at his body structure. He wouldn't hold up very long. Also I'm sure he has his orders from CAB.

Cox does hold on to the ball too long. On several occasions, he had a short receiver open (mainly te's) but chose to hold on hoping for a longer play. Take the 5-10 yds now!!

Throwing the ball away on 4th down is just plain worthless.

On the ol issues-

We MUST do a better job on pass blocking. BC can not hold up taking those kind of hits. Several of the many sacks came on quick outside rushes/blitzes that we completely missed.

What is status of Stewarts injury???

The rest of the season is going to be very interesting.

This is why I think our redzone offense struggles for getting a TD:

Cox is a very accurate passer. Our OL is good, but not great. So we basically come 1-dimensional. We can't run the ball inside the 10 because we don't have a good enough OL against better defenses. If Cox drops back and passes, the defense just backs up and zones it with no threat of Cox scrambling. If Cox will scramble, we can change that defensive strategy.

Cox is a very accurate passer. Our OL is good, but not great. So we basically come 1-dimensional. We can't run the ball inside the 10 because we don't have a good enough OL against better defenses. If Cox drops back and passes, the defense just backs up and zones it with no threat of Cox scrambling. If Cox will scramble, we can change that defensive strategy.

193517[/snapback]

We struggle in the redzone?

193517[/snapback]

193518[/snapback]

TT's right. We don't struggle in the redzone. Our scoring stats in the redzone are good. What we struggle in is getting to the redzone after crossing midfield. We seem to sputter after making it past the 50 yard line. Heck, one we get in the redzone, we are money.

CAB may be telling Cox not to scramble and throw it away, but that will have to change or defenses will start eating us because our OL is still trying to learn how to pass block effectively. Cox is not a quick guy, but regardless, a QB does have to scramble sometimes if you can gain positive yardage out of it. There is no excuse I can think of that it would be okay to throw the ball away on fourth and goal instead of tucking and running the ball. If you are going for it on fourth and goal, that means you have confidence in you defense to stop the other team if you don't make it. So, the issue of possibly giving up negative yardage should not be an issue. If you are on the five yard line, you should be trying to put the ball in, not throwing it away! If you lose a few yards trying to scramble, so what? The other team gets the ball on the 10 yard line instead of the 5 yard line. Our defense can stop their offense regardless of where they get the ball. Bottom line is that it is silly to be inside the 10 yard line and throw the ball away on fourth and goal. You come away with no points for no effort when at least Vaughn would have given us 3 points.

193517[/snapback]

193518[/snapback]

TT's right. We don't struggle in the redzone. Our scoring stats in the redzone are good. What we struggle in is getting to the redzone after crossing midfield. We seem to sputter after making it past the 50 yard line. Heck, one we get in the redzone, we are money.

CAB may be telling Cox not to scramble and throw it away, but that will have to change or defenses will start eating us because our OL is still trying to learn how to pass block effectively. Cox is not a quick guy, but regardless, a QB does have to scramble sometimes if you can gain positive yardage out of it. There is no excuse I can think of that it would be okay to throw the ball away on fourth and goal instead of tucking and running the ball. If you are going for it on fourth and goal, that means you have confidence in you defense to stop the other team if you don't make it. So, the issue of possibly giving up negative yardage should not be an issue. If you are on the five yard line, you should be trying to put the ball in, not throwing it away! If you lose a few yards trying to scramble, so what? The other team gets the ball on the 10 yard line instead of the 5 yard line. Our defense can stop their offense regardless of where they get the ball. Bottom line is that it is silly to be inside the 10 yard line and throw the ball away on fourth and goal. You come away with no points for no effort when at least Vaughn would have given us 3 points.

193522[/snapback]

Vann Johnson is right about Gabby Johnson being right!!! RUBBISH!!!!

:au::homer:

What if Cox throws it up and it's picked for 7 the other way.......What if Cox fumbles and it's oicked uo for 7 the other way....What if Cox get injured???????????????????Just throw it away.

Archived