Baseball playoffs

Ranger12

Well, my beloved Red Sox are finally in the playoffs and the Cubs, yes the Cubs, clinched the Central division title today. Cubs vs. Red Sox in the WS? That would be awesome!

A Cubs-Red Sox WS would be the sign of the end of the apocalypse, I think...but it would be fun to watch.

As long as the Yankees get taken out, I'm cool.

Since the Braves got some "O" this year, I think we may have a chance! Even if we lose out, it's better than the 80's when I first became a fan!

Since the Braves got some "O" this year, I think we may have a chance! Even if we lose out, it's better than the 80's when I first became a fan!

GO BRAVOS!!! Think about this, a BoSox vs. Bravos playoff. The Braves might attain the best record in baseball this year, buy the BoSox would still get homefield advantage. What a crock!

Yeah, that stinks this year because it was the NL's turn to have home field...but it was agreed to by the players, so you have to live with it.

Cubs-Braves should be very interesting...the young gun arms of Prior, Wood, Clement and Zambrano vs. the booming Braves bats (alliteration rules).

I would love for the Braves to win it all, but for some reason, I expect them to loose, maybe even to the Cubs.

Could that reason be that they do it every year? I am sick of my Bravos losing in the post-season. Lets get after it!! Tomahawk chops for everyone!!!

I'm still SOMEWHAT a braves fan, but not nearly as huge a fan as I used to be. I would watch every game i possibly could, now i just watch if there isn't anything better on. I have grown real sour on Pro Baseball, and really don't enjoy watching the game anymore. The Owners are greedy and want more money, the PLAYERS are even more greedy and want more money, and quite frankly i was hoping for another baseball strike the last time it was threatened. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all, if there was NO major league baseball at all. Force these players to go out in the real world and get real jobs, then they would realize how good they have it. It makes me sick to hear these people making MILLIONS of dollars a year to play a GAME, say they don't make enough....

I'm still SOMEWHAT a braves fan, but not nearly as huge a fan as I used to be. I would watch every game i possibly could, now i just watch if there isn't anything better on. I have grown real sour on Pro Baseball, and really don't enjoy watching the game anymore. The Owners are greedy and want more money, the PLAYERS are even more greedy and want more money, and quite frankly i was hoping for another baseball strike the last time it was threatened. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all, if there was NO major league baseball at all. Force these players to go out in the real world and get real jobs, then they would realize how good they have it. It makes me sick to hear these people making MILLIONS of dollars a year to play a GAME, say they don't make enough....

You want to know something sad. You basically just described the direction that college football is heading towards. Just change "owners" to univeristy presidents or trustees and "players" to "studen-athletes" and there you have it. Let's hope that something changes before that happens. :rolleyes: BoSox all the way. You all know that the Braves will choke again. Bobby Cox is the best season manager there is, but not very good in the post season. If only the Braves still had Joe Torre with all that talent they have had for the last 12 years. Talk about a major dynasty. People would have mentioned the Braves in the same breath of the old Yankees teams.

I'm still SOMEWHAT a braves fan, but not nearly as huge a fan as I used to be.  I would watch every game i possibly could, now i just watch if there isn't anything better on.  I have grown real sour on Pro Baseball, and really don't enjoy watching the game anymore.  The Owners are greedy and want more money, the PLAYERS are even more greedy and want more money, and quite frankly i was hoping for another baseball strike the last time it was threatened.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all, if there was NO major league baseball at all.  Force these players to go out in the real world and get real jobs, then they would realize how good they have it.  It makes me sick to hear these people making MILLIONS of dollars a year to play a GAME, say they don't make enough....

You want to know something sad. You basically just described the direction that college football is heading towards. Just change "owners" to univeristy presidents or trustees and "players" to "studen-athletes" and there you have it. Let's hope that something changes before that happens. :rolleyes: BoSox all the way. You all know that the Braves will choke again. Bobby Cox is the best season manager there is, but not very good in the post season. If only the Braves still had Joe Torre with all that talent they have had for the last 12 years. Talk about a major dynasty. People would have mentioned the Braves in the same breath of the old Yankees teams.

I don't think college football is quite to that extreme yet, but i do feel like the Clarrett situationn could change all of it. Here's a kid that broke rule after rule in college, and now he wants to be rewarded by getting an NFL contract earlier than the law allows.... NFL needs to take a stand and tell him to sit at home and wait...and the NCAA needs to strip his eligibility and keep him out of football PERMANENTLY instead of possibly rewarding him.

Bobby Cox is the weak link in the whole organization. He's done little to NOTHING to building the teams that started winning in 1991. Jonathan Scheurholtz(sp) is the one that built this team. Bobby cox is the most OVERRATED Manager in baseball... I've been wishing for years that something woud come up or happen to force bobby cox out of atlanta... I cannot stand bobby cox...

Bobby Cox is the greatest manager of all time. I dont want to hear it Pcola. 12 years. 12 years in a row. That is a dynasty.

sorry but your gonna hear it from me...BOBBY COX SUCKS AS A MANAGER.. Schuerholtz built that team, not bobby cox... Bobby cox is the reason the braves only have ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP IN 12 YEARS of post season play....He's the most overrated manager in baseball history...

Bobby Cox is the greatest manager of all time. I dont want to hear it Pcola. 12 years. 12 years in a row. That is a dynasty.

A dynasty of what? Division Championships? Whoppee! I could maybe agree with you if that had at least won the NL championship all those years, but they haven't. If Bobby Cox is the greatest manager of all time, where does that leave Joe Torre? Casey Stengall? Sorry, but one World Series win out of what is so far 11 consecutive post season appeances (which they have not always went to the league playoffs since the wild card started) does not make my interpretation of dynasty. No matter what sport it is, you have got to win the big one a few times before your club can be called a dynasty. Again, Cox is one of the best managers in the last two decades, no arguing that. He just can't coach when it really counts. Seems Joe Torre can coach the whole season which Cox can't. There has been way too much talent on those Braves teams to only have on ring to show for it. Hey, the Braves are my second favorite team and I pull for them, but I have to be a realist, I am a Red Sox fan after all. Being a Red Sox fan, I hate the Yankees, but know their manager is going to go down in history as one of the greatest ever. Dusty Baker will too. To me the famous quote by Casey Stengall sums up Cox's coaching at Atlanta- "Show me a good loser, and I will show you a loser".

Cox has been seriously hand-cuffed this year and look what he has done. Shuerholz can't sign anybody that he really wants cause AOL wont let the payroll get too high. There is no excuse for the Yankees EVER losing a series because they have the endless payroll to dominate the competition. Bobby Cox is a player's manager. He knows how to make winners out of the least. Look at the bullpen this year! Still, the Bravos scored the best record in baseball while holding off the most competitive division in the NL.

Believe me, I am well aware of the post-season woes. Always a bridesmaid. But, how can you say that Bobby Cox (one of the winningest coaches of all time) is not a good manager? Maybe I shouldn't have said "greatest ever". But he is sure better than stinkin' Joe Torre.

Cox has been seriously hand-cuffed this year and look what he has done. Shuerholz can't sign anybody that he really wants cause AOL wont let the payroll get too high. There is no excuse for the Yankees EVER losing a series because they have the endless payroll to dominate the competition. Bobby Cox is a player's manager. He knows how to make winners out of the least. Look at the bullpen this year! Still, the Bravos scored the best record in baseball while holding off the most competitive division in the NL.

Believe me, I am well aware of the post-season woes. Always a bridesmaid. But, how can you say that Bobby Cox (one of the winningest coaches of all time) is not a good manager? Maybe I shouldn't have said "greatest ever". But he is sure better than stinkin' Joe Torre.

He's one of the winningest of all time because shuerholtz went out and got the players he wanted in 1991 to start rebuilding that team. BOBBY COX SUCKS AS A MANAGER....and always will... If Joe Torre was still in Atlanta, i would bet he would have more championships than the ONE that COX has.....The team ERA is HIGHER this year than in recent years....The offense is what has won the games this year, not the pitching staff.... I want the braves to win...In SPite of bobby cox being the manager....

I still think you have to be impressed with the regular season dominance despite the post-season blunders. Some of the greatest players ever LOVE to play for the Braves because Bobby Cox is the manager. He is a players' manager and always will be. I have heard many a player state after a mid-season, meaningless loss, "I really wanted to win that one for Bobby." That is how much respect he gets from his guys. We will have to agree to disagree, I guess. Luckily, we are both on the same side. You want the braves to win, too! War Eagle and a non-FSU tomahawk chop. ;)

I've had mixed feelings for the Braves all this time. I'm sure I would love to see them win another title if they could, but until then I'm not getting my hopes up. Consider the fact that while Atlanta's won the NL East every year since they joined it (eight I believe), in that time two other East clubs, the Marlins and Mets, have made it to the World Series from the wild card! And one title does not a dynasty make....

Now as for the other playoff teams....I deicded before the season started that I wouldn't be happy with baseball unless the Cubs and Red Sox made it to the World Series, so at least one of them would finally win it. Well here we are, Chicago AND Boston playing in October at the same time, and for the first time I might actually watch some postseason baseball. If it doesn't happen, hey, I'll be fine as long as someone beats the Yankees. :D

IMHO if Jim Leland had been managing the Braves for the past 15 years, with the same players that Bobby Cox has had, the Braves would have won SIX Worlds Series.

I am thrilled as usual for the large part of me that has always been and will always continue to be a Braves fan. I hope they go all the way. I think being a Braves fan thru the 70's and early 80's was like being an Auburn fan at the same time - you got used to the struggle that always came out against you but loved them anyway. Now they are awesome and I am loving every minute of it. And that is why I have a hard time being happy for Joe Torre in NY - he totally stunk it up as a manager for so many years in Atlanta. I am sure you will all blast me full of reasons why - players ot he team, upper management, ownership, what have you - but the bottom line is he was the coach - it rests ultimately on him.

When they come to town now and play the Astros, I always go to at least one game and pull for the Braves. But as for the small part of me that pulls for the hometown team, I think I am entitled to be bitterly disappointed in the unreal choke the Astros managed this past week. To lead the division almost the ENTIRE SEASON and then lose SIX of the last NINE and miss the division title by ONE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT REEKS!!!!!!!!!!! :pukeb:

I am thrilled as usual for the large part of me that has always been and will always continue to be a Braves fan. I hope they go all the way. I think being a Braves fan thru the 70's and early 80's was like being an Auburn fan at the same time - you got used to the struggle that always came out against you but loved them anyway. Now they are awesome and I am loving every minute of it. And that is why I have a hard time being happy for Joe Torre in NY - he totally stunk it up as a manager for so many years in Atlanta. I am sure you will all blast me full of reasons why - players ot he team, upper management, ownership, what have you - but the bottom line is he was the coach - it rests ultimately on him.

When they come to town now and play the Astros, I always go to at least one game and pull for the Braves. But as for the small part of me that pulls for the hometown team, I think I am entitled to be bitterly disappointed in the unreal choke the Astros managed this past week. To lead the division almost the ENTIRE SEASON and then lose SIX of the last NINE and miss the division title by ONE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT REEKS!!!!!!!!!!! :pukeb:

Torre did not have the management support in Atlanta like he does in NY. That is a big difference.

Go Red Sox!!!!

The braves will choke again. I wish they could go all the way though. They should never have gotten rid of David justice.

Getting rid of David Justice was one of THE BEST MOVES the franchise has made in the last 12 years. Justice was a JOKE, and half the time didn't hustle when he was out there... JUSTICE WAS TERRIBLE.....

And that is why I have a hard time being happy for Joe Torre in NY - he totally stunk it up as a manager for so many years in Atlanta. I am sure you will all blast me full of reasons why - players ot he team, upper management, ownership, what have you - but the bottom line is he was the coach - it rests ultimately on him.

I'm certainly NOT the baseball history books by any means. But, if memory serves, Joe Torre was only in Atlanta for 3 years and his teams finished SECOND, FIRST AND SECOND in the division in those three years.... This is hardly stinking it up...

Pensacolaman has it right...Torre led Atlanta to the division title in 1982, finished a close second to the Dodgers in 1983, then fell off a little to 80-82 in 1984, finishing 3rd. The Braves weren't a dominant team in any of those seasons (the '82 team that started 13-0 finished 89-73), but they were a hell of a lot better than they were in the immediate years before and after his time in Atlanta.

I'm not a Yankees fan by any stretch, but I do respect Torre as a manager.

Must-win accomplished for the Braves tonight...DeRosa with a big hit in the 8th.

Archived