Hugh Nall

au9596

This is my first post. I read this message board often to get the latest info on :au: football. I do not see a thread started on this yet. See the link below (hopefully it is there if I did it right). Does anyone have any information regarding this?

http://www.southern-connection.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3

WAR EAGLE!!!!!

This is the first I have heard of this. Hugh Nall is a credit to AU and is one HECK of an o-line Coach. He has been very loyal to Coach Tubs and to Auburn. IF this is what he wants, God Bless him and I wish him all of the luck in the World. You can't ever blame an assistant for wanting to be a Head Coach.

Time will tell....... :au:

Good luck to him if he goes. And WAR EAGLE!

:au::homer:

Sounds as if this may be a lot of fuss over nothing.

Time will tell...... :au:

Man, there goes our guarrenteed good OLine.

202276[/snapback]

When the Football Goddess veiws your "spellin'", you are in trouble. :D

I guess I'm not as open to losing coaches as you guys are. I would hate to lose Nall. Not to mention, it would be another adjustment for the players.

Not really "open" to losing Coaches, but, You can't blame anyone for attempting to better their lot in life. Look at it this way, the fact that he is even mentioned means that someone thinks he is doing a good job. Would we really want Coaches that nobody else wanted? Think about it. :au::cheer:

Man, there goes our guarrenteed good OLine.

202276[/snapback]

When the Football Goddess veiws your "spellin'", you are in trouble. :D

202278[/snapback]

As are you... :poke::D

Your right you can't blame a coach for leaving for a higher profile job or more $$, but you can't blame me as a fan for wanting the coaches to stick around so :au: can finally have some stability. Fact is that the lack of stability has cost :au: wins in the past. Plugging in coaches just isn't as easy as plugging in players.

Your right you can't blame a coach for leaving for a higher profile job or more $$, but you can't blame me as a fan for wanting the coaches to stick around so  :au: can finally have some stability.  Fact is that the lack of stability has cost  :au: wins in the past.  Plugging in coaches just isn't as easy as plugging in players.

202290[/snapback]

It was with Borges! ;)

Tuberville has made really great hires in the past. His only bad desicision was promoting Nall to O.C. Dont worry about it, I'm sure if he leaves, a top notch guy will take his place.

you know when we lost Chizik to Texas almost everyone including me had a meltdown, but Gibbs proved very capable of handling the job. he will only get better. i think if we loose any coaches this year i wish them the best and i am confident tubbs will hire the right guy for the vacancy much like he did for the d.c. job.

<Turning to the already converted....>

Look guys, IF Nall goes, I have heard that Nall denies even being contacted as yet. I know that really means nothing now days though.

Link for more info from GSU Fans Site

Link to Barhart in AJC

But take a long look:

1) He would be making little more than he is now at :au: about $200K either way.

2) He has stability here at :au:

3) Would he really be doing something good by going to GSU?

The answer to the last one is "Who Knows?"

IF he leaves, God Bless and a Big Thank You! Could we be getting a new O-Line coach that we would love? IE Stacy Searels from LSU? Who knows. CTT is making great hires so far with Petrino, Chizik, Gibbs, Borges.

I have several folks now telling me that he will accept if offered. If they offer it could be a done deal by the end of the week.

As a general rule, the football coaching profession is a virtual revolving door -- good coaches move up, bad coaches move out, ambitious coaches move around. Position coaches are easier to fill than coordinators. CTT should be able to get a good OL coach. I think it's a great move for Nall. He's a Georgia boy and he could do real well at GSU as HC. If he accepts, I wish him well at GSU & will always remember what he did here at AU. Even the one year he was the OC, I can't forget his offense ran up +500 yds of offense against uat in the IB! WDE to ya Coach Hugh Nall! :au:

Seems like the job at Southern would be kind of tough - Erk Russell no longer associates with them, and in firing their coach they make their lofty expectations crystal clear. Not one to shy away from challenges, but it seems like Nall would have a tough row to hoe there, and probably for not much more money. (Wonder what the cost of living in Statesboro is versus Auburn?). There is also the issue of leaving behind his players at Auburn. If he were to leave, he would take with him all of his recruiting contacts in south Georgia - that would suck.

As far as other OL coaches, no one has mentioned Alex Gibbs. (We have a father/son due on the basketball court, so why not football as well). The elder Gibbs has an EdD from Auburn and is currently a "consultant" to the Falcons, but he has had considerable success as an NFL O-Line coach, most notably with the Broncos. They were some chop-blocking dudes, but man do they have a nice stadium!!

Gibbs page on Falcons site

I heard about this on TV here in ATL yesterday. If he goes I hope he does well, I went to school at GSU so I hope he can do them some good. They said it looked like he was going to be the current coaches successor.

Archived