Finebaum Ranks The SEC Coaches

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Finebaum Ranks The Coaches

Nothing earthshattering. I just figured we all needed a reason to talk about the bald one today. Ignore if you wish. Feel free to opine.

For those of you too lazy to click the link:

3. Tommy Tuberville (Auburn): The bowl game was embarrassing. OK now, get over it. Beating his two biggest rivals down the stretch is nothing to "thumb" your nose at. Tuberville's record the last two years is a very impressive 22-3 and his solid recruiting indicates the future remains bright.

He ranks Coach Tuberville 3rd behind Richt and Superior. Kinda' hard to argue with that.

flipper @ 7 behind urban legend and miles (Not to mention fat phil)...... ;)

I'd say that list is pretty good.

I'd probably put Richt first b/c of Georgia's consistency over the last several years. Spurrier exceeded expectations, and his time at Florida was amazing, but I think one season at SC is not enough to put him at the top of the list. If they have another good season then maybe put him number one.

I know that Shula led Bama to a ten win season, but even at seventh out of twelve he may be ranked a little too high. I might switch him and Nutt.

I'd say that list is pretty good. 

I'd probably put Richt first b/c of Georgia's consistency over the last several years.  Spurrier exceeded expectations, and his time at Florida was amazing, but I think one season at SC is not enough to put him at the top of the list.  If they have another good season then maybe put him number one.

I know that Shula led Bama to a ten win season, but even at seventh out of twelve he may be ranked a little too high.  I might switch him and Nutt.

210264[/snapback]

Nobody asked me, but I wouldn't rank Richt ahead of Tuberville. Head to head, Tuberville's been able to beat Richt-coached teams when the Bulldogs had superior talent and greater motivation.

Nobody asked me, but I wouldn't rate Shula ahead of anyone other than Orgeron. He is the defacto OC for that team. Don't think I've seen a worse SEC offense in terms of imagination or innovation. The ten-win season was less of his doing that it was in spite of his dreadful offense.

If there were any justice at the smaller "school" in west Al, Kines would get the higher(though it is still in the lower tier of SEC HC salaries) pay of the two. flipper is by NO MEANS an SEC caliber coach. He is what he is...The ONLY "name" :blink:

that would actuallly TAKE that "job". Not to worry. The THUMB :au: will send 'em scramblin' to find the TwentyFifthChoiceOne. :D

Fulmer being ranked ahead of Meyer is a bit weird.

I hate Meyer and think he is GROSSLY over-rated (sigh..dont bring up UGA/UF) but he did beat Fulmer and had a better record and seems to be going upwards compared to Fulmer's downward trend

I can't believe Finebaum didn't have Coach Sheila ranked NUmber 1 considering the love affair they seem to have going.

Also, Richt is a fine coach, but think about it. He is the de facto OC. Georgis defense is the ONLY reason they have finished as high as they have. Several times, especially with David Greene at QB, the offense played downright uninspired. Every year, they have at least a top ten recruiting class and they never seem to finish as high as their recruiting class was ranked. That would indicate that they aren't able to get the talent out of the people they have. Contrast that with Auburn, who has good recruiting classes, but they are never in the top 10(possibly with the exception of this year). CTT always seems to get the most out of recruits who other schools overlook.

My point is, I think Coach Richt is overrated.

In an odd turn of events for once I agree with Finescum for the most part the only one I think he missed is Bobby Johnson. This man had VANDY a fg away from a bowl game for the first time in almost every student at Vandy’s lifetime. They only true SEC caliber talent this man had was Cutler for that if you going by this season alone, should get him a #5 ranking.

Don't think I've seen a worse SEC offense in terms of imagination or innovation. The ten-win season was less of his doing that it was in spite of his dreadful offense.

Did you not watch Auburn during the Mazzone years? :(

I can't believe Finebaum didn't have Coach Sheila ranked NUmber 1 considering the love affair they seem to have going.

Also, Richt is a fine coach, but think about it. He is the de facto OC. Georgis defense is the ONLY reason they have finished as high as they have. Several times, especially with David Greene at QB, the offense played downright uninspired. Every year, they have at least a top ten recruiting class and they never seem to finish as high as their recruiting class was ranked. That would indicate that they aren't able to get the talent out of the people they have. Contrast that with Auburn, who has good recruiting classes, but they are never in the top 10(possibly with the exception of this year). CTT always seems to get the most out of recruits who other schools overlook.

My point is, I think Coach Richt is overrated.

210312[/snapback]

I'm gonna have to disagree....I believe only Richt has a better SEC record than Tuberville upon arriving to their own distinctive schools.

Richt does win big games (maybe not as of late), he gets his school in the top ten at least once every year, wins the SEC, goes to BCS games....not gonna find a complaint from me.

Also, Richt is a fine coach, but think about it. He is the de facto OC. Georgis defense is the ONLY reason they have finished as high as they have.

Which is a testament to who Richt hires as the DC.

If we take away Borges from Auburn...is AU as good as they are now? Does that make Tuberville a worse coach?

UGA scored 30+ to end the year against AU, LSU, and WVU.

Every year, they have at least a top ten recruiting class and they never seem to finish as high as their recruiting class was ranked. That would indicate that they aren't able to get the talent out of the people they have.

UGA has now finished in the AP Top 10 poll in 2002, 2003, 2004, and now 2005.

So...that argument really doesn't hold any water either.

My Ranking, and why?

1. Richt, Georgia

Since the departure of the "Fun and Gun" at Florida in the Spurrier days, Richt has dominated the East. His recruiting is always solid, and his coaching style comes from his time under Bobby Bowden.

2. Tuberville, Auburn

Beside Spurrier, what coach can boast a 16-1 record against the SEC in two years. Auburn has 5 SEC West trophies since his arrival 7 years ago.

3. Spurrier, South Carolina

The name says it all. In his first year, he lead South Carolina to wins over Florida and Tennessee, and they were going for a winning season this year. Just wait until he gets rid of all of Lou Holtz's players.

4. Fulmer, Tennessee

What coach hasn't had a bad year every once in a while? He is veteran of all SEC coaches. He lead Volunteers to a National Championship in the first year of the BCS.

5. Nutt, Arkansas

Still said to be one of the best coaches out there, Nutt had a bad year because of last year's NFL draft. He lead an unbalanced offensive team a near upset of LSU.

6. Meyer, Florida

With all the hype of his arrival at Florida, he didn't prove to be the answer against Alabama. He finally got his team playing like his old team, Utah. He might move up closer to the top after his 2nd year.

7. Miles, LSU

"The most talent in college football." That's all we heard about LSU in the offseason. I believe it was true. Miles isn't cut out for the SEC. Hurricane or not, Saben would have had LSU in Pasedena this year. The SEC wouldn't have been left out two straight years.

8. Shula, Alabama

Have you ever heard that defense wins championships. If Shula wouldn't have tried to run the score up on Florida, Protho might have lead Alabama to an undefeated season. But with Shula's dumb coaching, he let it slip away. Also, he might gone after next year because Auburn will most likely win it's 5th straight over the Tide.

9. Croom, Mississippi State

The only color that matters is maroon. Well, unless he can make some noice in the West soon, he might be seeing a maroon door hit him in the rear on his way out of Starkville. State's loyal fans can't take too many more 3-4 win seasons. Hate to say it, but atleast Sherrill did win more games in his first seasons in StarkVegas.

10. Johnson, Vanderbilt

Jay Cutler was the reason for Vanderbilt's most wins in the last 10 years. Johnson is a good coach, but when your players have to have that much smarts in the classroom, you can forget it with the good athletes. Johnson could get Vandy going if the board would lower their requirements for enrollment.

11. Brooks, Kentucky

Kentucky, Kentucky, Kentucky. Aren't you glad Ashley Judd is back at work for the basketball team. Now the frustrations of the football season are distant. The real Kentucky team is finally playing, and Brooks' hot seat is ice cold.

12. Oregeron, Ole Miss

Boone was expecting a bowl game this year. Face it Boone, until YOU get out of there, the Ole Miss tradition won't be restored. Coach O is a great recruiter, and can built the Rebs into a solid team in a few years. But, having to compete with Auburn, LSU, and Alabama year in and year out, Coach O you should have stayed at USC. Oh, I think Memphis might tear that fence down.

Archived