THE DEMO-GOGUES

Tigermike

THE DEMO-GOGUES

Schumer: Does the Constitution protect free speech?... Alito: Yes, Senator, the First Amendment protects free speech... Schumer: Well, why can you give me a straight answer on that issue but not give me a straight answer on abortion?... Alito: Because the text of the Constitution explicitly includes the term "free speech." — Exchange between Sen. Schumer and Judge Alito

From the Blow Hard Hearings: "Why should we believe that you'll act as an independent check on the president when he claims the power to ignore the laws passed by Congress?" — Ted Kennedy to Judge Alito

++ "In case after case, you give the impression of applying careful legal reasoning, but too many times you happen to reach the most conservative result." — Chuck Schumer **Maybe there's a good reason for that!

++ "If confirmed, Alito could very well fundamentally alter the balance of the court and push it dangerously to the right." — Ted Kennedy

++ "The Senate needs to find out if the man replacing [Harriett] Miers is too radical for the American people." — Harry Reid

++ "When asked repeatedly about a 1985 memo in which he wrote that the Constitution does not protect the right of a women to choose, Judge Alito would not disavow that statement, and he refused to concede that Roe v. Wade is settled law. I believe these ominous statements clearly signal a hostility to women's rights, and I worry that we will go back to the very dark days when abortion was illegal in many states." — Barbara Boxer

From the Village Matriarch Files: "When you look at the way the House of Representatives has been run, it has been run like a plantation, and you know what I'm talking about. It has been run in a way so that nobody with a contrary view has had a chance to present legislation, to make an argument, to be heard." — Hillary Clinton on MLK day to a mostly black audience

++ "We have a culture of corruption, we have cronyism, we have incompetence. I predict to you that this administration will go down in history as one of the worst that has ever governed our country." — Hillary Clinton

Archived