Auburn's Greatest Game

GaTigerFan

RadioWryn gets my vote for producing the Greatest List of Greatest Games. I want to add the 2001 UF game. Unranked AU knocked the pi## out of one of Spurrier's best teams ever: #1-ranked, avg near 50 ppg, Grossman at the top of his collegiate game with 2 stud receivers in Jabbar Gaffney & Reche Caldwell. The game was exciting from start to finish.  WDE

That was definately the best game I ever attended in person, followed by the 2004 UGA game. Last year's Iron Bowl was pretty sweet too.

Of course, none of these are monumentous like 72 & 89, but these were the best for me during my college career that I actually saw.

It was extremely awesome to be there on the field for that Florida game to bring the goal down. Probably the last time that will ever happen at JH since they have a legion of Nazis keeping kids off the field now.

there are so many in our history, its hard to name one... Several stand out above the others though...

1.) Bo over the top 1982

2.) Punt bama punt 1972 (not old enough to remember this first hand since i was only 4)

3.) UAT visits the plains for the first time 1989

4.) Florida game 1993 (continued a magical season)

5.) Florida game 1994 (continued a winning streak, and knocked off the No. 1 team in the country

6.) 1994 LSU game (5 ints, 3 returned for TD's in the 4th quarter) Defense scored all our points that day, except for a field goal i believe.

7.) FSU in 1983...(My first Auburn game...I was 15)

8.) FSU in 1985...59-27 win....Tigers open up a close game late, thanks to FSU miscues... Have this one on DVD... :) Yes, I will make copies if anybody would like it..

9.) Florida game 2001....Duval...what a kick...weather was horrible here in pensacola that night as it was at auburn for the game....Satellite dish kept going out and i didn't have expanded basic cable at the time..I was going nuts going back and forth between the TV and the radio to try to keep up with it....was crazy...

best game i've attended would be tougher on me b/c i was only 7 at the 1989 game which has to be some sort of disqualifier since i can't remember anything except the tiger walk (i've since watched the game about 7 or 8 times on dvd).

in my memory, i'd list the best games like this: 1990 fsu (remember that one better), 1993 uf, 1993 bama (for game atmosphere and outcome), 1994 lsu, 1997 bama, 2001 uf, 2001 uga (best performance by a single player), 2004 lsu, and 2005 uga.

i didn't include some good games (2000 uga) or great atmospheres (2004 uga) b/c they just didn't have both a game and a meaning.

personally, if i could watch any of them again, i'd take the 2004 lsu game b/c i'm a defense guy. i love love love defensive shootouts, and that game wasn't really sloppy. it was just a defensive smash mouth game. runner up would be either 93 florida, 97 bama, or 01 uf... too tough to pick.

I don't have vivid memories of either of my 2 favorite games and strangely enough neither of them involve Bama (please don't throw me off the board.)

One is 1990 FSU. I don't remember much about the game (probaby due to my degree of intoxication) except for screaming, but I do remember how hoarse everyone was on campus on Monday, even the professors.

The other is 1994 LSU. I have no idea where I watched the game but I do remember watching the highlights from my mother's hospital room. She was recovering from a liver transplant and was very ill (but is doing well today).

Another game that I can't remember but that isn't a favorite is a UGA game that we lost and then my friend got a DUI afterwards. Luckily, nobody was hurt and it did lead to a few good stories and even a marriage but that's a whole nother story.

Only in college and only in Auburn.

I was on the freshman football team in 1972 and my first trip to B'ham was the Tenn. game...we were underdogs and beat them (Conridge Holloway) 10-7....and then several weeks later, beating 'bama 17-16...those were the 2 most exciting games of my era....

Three that I can't choose from in my 4 years at Auburn:

2002 Syracuse: Special place in my heart for beating my home team that I hate

2004 LSU : I literally fainted on CT's catch

2005 Georgia

There are 2 games that I have had the privilege of attending in my life and they are as different in perspective as night and day:

* 1999 Bonfire game (Texas/TAMU)...this took place 8 days after Bonfire collapsed at Texas A&M, killing 12 students and former students. A very, very emotional day for everyone involved. The atmosphere before the game was just surreal...very, very quiet, almost eerily so.

There haven't been too many games where I've said justice was served by one team winning over another, but A&M rallying to win that game 20-16 was justice.

* 1989 Auburn-Alabama game...very few people outside of the state of Alabama have any grasp of how much Alabama, more precisely Bear Bryant, controlled the proceedings. For years, Auburn had to play Georgia, Georgia Tech, Tennessee and Alabama at "neutral" sites for home games...Georgia was the first to come to Auburn (1960)...Georgia Tech was next (1970)...Tennessee visited the Plains for the first time in 1974.

Then there was Alabama...the overbearing bully of a brother who steadfastly claimed that Legion Field was a neutral site (ignoring the fact that Alabama played all of their important home games there, at least 3 a year). Neutral site, my ass.

Ray Perkins said "it'll never happen" when the subject of playing Auburn in Auburn was broached.

December 2, 1989, it happened.

Auburn 30, Alabama 20.

A share of the SEC title for the 3rd consecutive year and 4 straight over Alabama.

The bully had to come fight at someone else's house now.

For lots of reasons, some having to do with the game itself and some that involved the historical aspects, the 1989 Auburn-Alabama game is the greatest that I have ever attended...and will likely not be replaced in my mind.

Archived