Auburn's Greatest Game

GaTigerFan

1989 Bama comes to Auburn for the first Time in HISTORY....and Loose....

Bama came in that day 10-0....Man what an Atmosphere !!! WDE

2nd, Beating Michigan by a field gold in the sugar bowl Only having Maimi Jumps us for the National Title..

1989 Bama comes to Auburn for the first Time in HISTORY....and Loose....

Bama came in that day 10-0....Man what an Atmosphere !!! WDE

221997[/snapback]

I have to second that. What a game, what a day, what an entire weekend!

WAR EAGLE!

I agree with that to, that was possibly the most important game ever for auburn in terms of in-state respect, the Auburn-Bama series has never been the same since that game.

1972 with 1989 a close second. Bama was 10-0 in both games but heavily favored in 1972. I thought the Bahr was going to cry. They never recovered and lost to Texas in the Cotton Bowl shortly afterwards while we went on to beat a good Colorado team in the Gator.

PBP, 1972...Bo over the Top...'89 Bamar game...1957 win over UT and the Beating of Bamar, the same year...in that order.

:au::homer:

So nobody going to mention 42-41 at FSWho? That is probably not my number 1 but I though someone would mention that. That one was awesome. My number one would be 89 AU v UAtuskaloser. I'm coming up on number 200 in person so I have a lot to chose from.

Beat Bama...War Damn Eagle

I know 72 bama is the clear choice but since I wasn't alive I would say the greatest game in my soon to be 19 years was LSU last year. The game itself, and what it meant for the season(though we didn't know at that time) just push it above anything else for me. Just an amazing game that jumpstarted an amazing season. :big::au::big:

2004 Auburn vs. LSU... This game will come to be known as the game that jump-started the "golden age" of Auburn football. A guy can dream can't he? :D

Greatest Game (for sheer between the lines action..)

2005 Georgia

1994 Florida

1993 Alabama

1989 Florida

1984 Florida State

1971? Georgia

Greatest Comeback:

1994 LSU

1972 Alabama

Greatest Games in a Losing Effort:

2005 LSU

2002 Florida

1990 Tennessee (tie)

Greatest Game: (historical significance + game itself)

1989 Alabama

I'm only 21 - maybe those who have watched more of Auburn perenially can shed more light on great games .. that's fairly accurate of the last 15-20 years in my opinion.

I'm thinking the 2004 Tennessee game should not be overlooked.  The Vols are still hurting from that buttkicking!  :big:

222083[/snapback]

Most dominating road performance in AU history?

222085[/snapback]

The '99 Georgia and LSU games were both dominant performances, but Tennessee was ranked in the Top 10 at the time, and to just completely manhandle them in every phase of the game like we did... yeah, that gets my vote.

Foe me it's 1972 and Punt Bama Punt. There have been some great ones but anyone who missed this one missed the best. The look of despair, unbelief and anger on Bear Bryan't face is still tatooed in my memory. It was the icing on the cake of our greatest victory. :cheer:

It was also great to just turn around and smile at the obnoxious bama fans behind me who were so vocal in taunting us for the first 90% of the game.

Greatest Game (for sheer between the lines action..)

2005 Georgia

1994 Florida

1993 Alabama

1989 Florida

1984 Florida State

1971? Georgia

Greatest Comeback:

1994 LSU

1972 Alabama

Greatest Games in a Losing Effort:

2005 LSU

2002 Florida

1990 Tennessee (tie)

Greatest Game: (historical significance + game itself)

1989 Alabama

I'm only 21 - maybe those who have watched more of Auburn perenially can shed more light on great games .. that's fairly accurate of the last 15-20 years in my opinion.

222081[/snapback]

RadioWryn gets my vote for producing the Greatest List of Greatest Games. I want to add the 2001 UF game. Unranked AU knocked the pi## out of one of Spurrier's best teams ever: #1-ranked, avg near 50 ppg, Grossman at the top of his collegiate game with 2 stud receivers in Jabbar Gaffney & Reche Caldwell. The game was exciting from start to finish. :au: WDE

Dec. 2nd 1989 :au:

A date that will live in infamy....for uaters everywhere! :cheer::cheer:

I don't have any new games to add, just some to agree with. The top three in no particular order would be Iron Bowls 1972, 1982, 1989. All three were SO important in their own ways. 1972 left the bahr looking like he had a mouthful of cow manure from the cow college. 1982 made him realize that he needed to get out of the business before he started losing to Pat Dye and the red nation found out he wasn't immortal. It also helped to ease the pain of nine years of constant hell from the most classless and ignorant fans in all of college sports. 1989 was the biggest step in the transfer of power that has now taken place in favor of :au:

for a historical standpoint i have a hard time arguing with the 1989 game. it was an amazing game from start to finish, and it changed the iron bowl forever. BUT from an outside view, i think you'd be hardpressed to find a better game than the 1994 florida game. it was the 2006 rose bowl of its day. unbeaten florida, unbeaten auburn, national tv, back and forth the entire game, with a late fourth quarter td drive to win it. plus it wasn't a sloppy game. those two would get my votes.

Guest Tigrinum Major
for a historical standpoint i have a hard time arguing with the 1989 game. it was an amazing game from start to finish, and it changed the iron bowl forever. BUT from an outside view, i think you'd be hardpressed to find a better game than the 1994 florida game. it was the 2006 rose bowl of its day. unbeaten florida, unbeaten auburn, national tv, back and forth the entire game, with a late fourth quarter td drive to win it. plus it wasn't a sloppy game. those two would get my votes.

222134[/snapback]

I concur with my younger, more liberal friend.

Hard to top those two, given his criteria.

Clearly, for the Auburn family, the '89 game w/ :ua: was unbelieveable. It was surreal, is best how I can explain it.

BUT.....beating the :uf: , in the Swamp back in '94.....THAT was some damn game.

'94 :uf: was the game that made me an Auburn fan for good. Best game I've attended would be the '04 UGA game - that was the perfect gameday atmosphere.

Legion Field, November, 1972. Near the middle of the last quarter, Bama leading 16-zip. Around the track just outside the fence walked a man in dark pink carring what looked like a pole. Mounted to the pole were pennants from each school that Bama had defeated so far that year. At the top was an Auburn pennant. He walked all the way around the stadium carrying that pole and Bama fans cheered as he walked in front of them. I would love to have seen his face at the end of the game. My dad attended Auburn during the period from 1918 til 1921 and we still have his yearbooks. Thank goodness he led his children to be good citizens, first in the Christian faith but also to be Auburn fans. So my choice is 17-16, 1972. And I really can't understand how anyone who was following Auburn football during that time could choose any other game. I WAS THERE!! War Eagle

Archived