Think you hate another school?

SouthLink02

"Actually, it is absolutely 100% true, as I have now spoken to two BC fans who were at the game and both heard two particular Carolina fans direct N-bombs at Ty Rice.

You can say whatever you want, we both know what your sordid history is and the horrible reputation some of your fans have for racist behavior (don't make me quote John Thompson on what your students were saying to Freddy Brown at the end of the infamous national championship game) or the fact tha Sam Perkins said he was "ashamed".

When I read your garbage it makes me proud that my great great great great great grandfather, the first to come to this country, got off the boat from Ireland and joined the Union Army. I can only hope that he butchered as many Southerners as he could aim a rifle at (including women and children, who of course weere either future Klansmen or Klansmen incubators). Any astute student of American history recognizes that the CSA is an entity that was admired by Nazi Germany and Al Qaeda. I only wish we had followed General Sheridans advice and exterminated every last cracker from below the Mason-Dixon line.

Here's to looking forward to Dean Smith's inevitable case of lung cancer. I hope the communist, America-hating, whining sack of crap lingers long enough that I get a hearty chuckle before he actually croaks."

Uh....ok

wow

http://mb4.scout.com/fbostoncollege19873fr...tart=41&stop=60

There's some irony in that piece I just can't put my finger on it. Oh yes, it is him indicting southerners for being racist and then exclaiming that the union army should have killed all the white people in the south. I believe we call that genocide.

OK, my two cents on it is this is that the War Between the States, otherwise known as the Civil War, was a war about slavery but it was not the only reason. The main reason I have found was because the South believed that the country had decided to not care about their opinions after the election of Lincoln. In that election in 1860, Lincoln won without winning a single southern state. If you look at what happened during 1860-65, the slaves were not freed until after the Battle of Gettsburg, a point up until which the South was winning the overall war. So, while slavery was a point of the war, it was NOT the reason for the war. It was a war of making your voice heard. Hmmm, sounds familiar, like when some Patriots stood up against a monarchy that wasn't listening to their voice about 100 years before that.

Just a thought.

Lol southern culture would be considered western culture and Al Queda hates western culture.

Those tolerant Irish:

Northern Ireland, which is 99% white, is fast becoming the race-hate capital of Europe. It holds the UK's record for the highest rate of racist attacks: spitting and stoning in the street, human excrement on doorsteps, swastikas on walls, pipe bombs, arson, the ransacking of houses with baseball bats and crow bars, and white supremacist leaflets nailed to front doors.
Across Belfast, Sara - not her real name - sat behind closed curtains in her terraced house. Her front window is regularly painted with KKK, "black people out" and "I hate n*****" slogans. A Zimbabwean businesswoman in her 30s, she never opens her curtains to let natural light into the house, as the sight of her in the living room is a provocation to local teenagers. The shouting through her letterbox becomes unbearable.
Desmond Birnie, a local Ulster Unionist assembly member, said: "The pattern of these attacks suggests that we are seeing a rerun, albeit on a smaller scale, of the tactics used by the Nazis in the 1930s."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/race/story/0,11374,1120113,00.html

Appears the Irish have some admiration for the KKK and Nazi Germany.

Also the astute student of American history would know that at first the Irish were in the same position as the blacks. After the Civil War the Irish then feared the competition in the workplace from the now free African-Americans. So they did things like drive blacks from the docks and other places that would hire African-Americans in order to secure their place and become accepted by other whites. This type of stuff took place in cities such as New York and Boston. Hardly the south.

I always find it funny that people attack the south and slavery and brag about freeing the slaves. Yet never address how those same northerners themselves took on racist pratices toward African-Americans after the war. Or ever feel sorry about the actions the Union army took against Native Americans to expand the Union.

Actually, it is absolutely 100% true, as I have now spoken to two BC fans who were at the game and both heard two particular Carolina fans direct N-bombs at Ty Rice.

Golly, he's got not 1 but 2 second hand testimonials and both heard 2 particular Carolina fans drop the N bomb.

2 Carolina fans speak for the entire South?

:huh:

Yep, glad we have the enlightened, progressive folks from B.C. to tell us what to think and how evil we are.

Yea those comments from those Tarheels were a lil crazy....

Being from NY, we don't talk about the War much (why would we?) It's covered for like a day or two in history class. But I am confident in two things:

1) If the south ever did leave the north again, the south would kick the north's butt. But that only assumes those in the war stay in their respective states (so those fighting for the UNITED STATES, who are from Georgia/Alabama/etc, fight for the Confederacy).

2) The UNITED STATES would not be nearly as powerful if the Confederacy did stray away. You may not like what happened 150 years ago, but it's been for the better of the country as a whole down the road. If you disagree, that's your free right to, but in my opinion we wouldn't be where we are today. And I'd be rooting for Penn State or Syracuse :puke:

Just keep in mind what state BC is in and who they elect as their senators, etc. They are the only state with a gay man and woman as U.S. Representatives.. and one of few who recognize gay marriage. I could go on but that should be enough for most folks to get the picture.

(My apologiy in advance. I hereby acknowledge this comment belongs in the Political Forum but I didn't start this basketball/political thread in the FB forum)

Just keep in mind what state BC is in and who they elect as their senators, etc. They are the only state with a gay man and woman as U.S. Representatives.. and one of few who recognize gay marriage. I could go on but that should be enough for most folks to get the picture.

(My apologiy in advance. I hereby acknowledge this comment belongs in the Political Forum but I didn't start this basketball/political thread in the FB forum)

224860[/snapback]

Yeah, there are a lot of homosexuals there, particularly in "P-town" - maybe that is why the old Patriots logo was so popular up there.

(see, it all comes back to football)

Most people in Boston should not be labeling anyone else as racist. Boston is one of the most racist cities in the US. Many up there hate all groups that aren't part of their heritage... Italian, Irish, Puerto Rican, etc...

Guest Tigrinum Major

224860[/snapback]

It is best to let a thread like this marinate in the Football Forum for about four days during the off season before it gets moved.

I figured more people would see it here and there wasn't much else to talk about  :D

225036[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with it being here.

224860[/snapback]

It is best to let a thread like this marinate in the Football Forum for about four days during the off season before it gets moved.

225031[/snapback]

I refuse to comment on the grounds that I will be suspended for a week and miss voting for some of my favorite people in the AUNation March Madness. :big::big:

Seriously, I have no problem whatsoever with this being here. I think it would be great if we just went to one Auburn Sports Forum like LSUTigerForum does. I mention that one because I know you are familiar with it. Seems to me that would take some load off the Mods having to deal with it and decide if it's just marinated or well done. ;);)

As Slink notes above, people seem to agree that posts in the FB Forum get a lot more readers so why not just have one sports forum? Just a thought.

OK, my two cents on it is this is that the War Between the States, otherwise known as the Civil War, was a war about slavery but it was not the only reason. The main reason I have found was because the South believed that the country had decided to not care about their opinions after the election of Lincoln. In that election in 1860, Lincoln won without winning a single southern state. If you look at what happened during 1860-65, the slaves were not freed until after the Battle of Gettsburg, a point up until which the South was winning the overall war. So, while slavery was a point of the war, it was NOT the reason for the war. It was a war of making your voice heard. Hmmm, sounds familiar, like when some Patriots stood up against a monarchy that wasn't listening to their voice about 100 years before that.

Just a thought.

224792[/snapback]

"The War of Making Your Voice Heard?" Makes we wonder WTH is being taught in history classes these days. :no: Irish, you need to study up a little more. Population of the 22 Union States: 20 million. Population of the 11 Confederate States: almost 9 million of which about 1/3 were slaves. 92% of the industrial capacity of the US was in the North, along with most of the known coal & iron ore deposits and railroad lines. From an attrition standpoint alone, the war was over as soon as it started. Much like the Indian Wars later on out West -- the inevitable outcome was merely a matter of time. The South won all the initial battles due more to a combination of superior leadership with their generals & gross incompetence on the part of some Union generals. Look it up.

Slavery was as big to the war as much as Bama fans living in the past being the reason we hate them so much. It may seem big, but it's not the real reason. Anyone who knows history knows that even people up north had slaves, it was just bigger in the south. The United States didn't want the Confederacy to defect from the Union, that's all.

The BC fan's tirade isn't the first time I have heard people speak about Southerns like that. Makes you wonder what children are being taught about the South in schools and movies; I suspect one too many "a time to kill" films. That's unfortunate considering the role that Southerners and their ancestors played in the formation of this country.

Funny. I kind of feel that way about Alabama fans in general.

Except I don't want to kill them. I would prefer to herd them into reeducation camps out in the desert and make them pick cabbages until they stop babbling on about the Bear.

FACT: President Lincoln's number one goal when taking office was to preserve the Union, NOT free the slaves.

FACT: When the Emancipation Proclamation took effect it freed the slaves ONLY in the Southern states. It DID NOT, however, free slaves in states such as Missouri, Maryland and Delaware which were still Union but had strong Confederate ties.

The war may have been about slavery....but only for one side. Who in the South would have been concerned about slavery? The plantation owners. What occupation did the majority of Confederate officers hold prior to the war? Plantation owners. What percentage of the Confederate Army did the officers comprise? A very small one, they were the minority. So who were all these other thousands of men serving and fighting in the Confederate Army? Overwhelmingly they were native born Southerners and all had one thing in common: they were poor. That's not to say they were homeless or landless or did not have possessions and families. They just were not of a status where they could afford to own a plantation, let alone slaves. So what does this all mean? What's the point I'm trying to make here? Poor southerners who enlisted in the Confederate Army certainly did not leave their families and risk their lives so some rich plantation owner could keep his slaves. Indeed not. Rather, they left their homes and families to fight what they considered an invading army intent on attacking their home. As harsh or unpolitically correct as it sounds, the average Southerner didn't put on a gray uniform to fight over "darkies" (as they would have termed it). This was a war to keep Yankees out and protect their homes and families....for the average Southerner that is. Put yourself in their shoes but in today's time. If you saw me, a member of the U.S. Army (or Union Army, whichever) roll up on your freshly sodded yard in my Humvee and demand that you surrender your house and everything in it for my use, arrest you for being a traitor, etc, etc; what would be your initial reaction? You'd probably want to reach for your shotgun and kill me and the men under my command. Same thing for our ancestors. It's almost unimaginable that this would happen today but it wasn't unimaginable in 1861.

For the South, the Civil War was not about slavery. Maybe for the Yankees but not for the South.

History is context, history is context, history is context.

Oh, while we're talking about the most racist people we know, the most racist person I've ever met was a Jewish guy :blink: from Long Island, New York. According to him, "up there" we aren't viewed as racists but rather a bunch of inbred rednecks. He said they don't care about the racist stuff because just about everybody in the City is a racist. Remember, that's what HE said....the Jewish guy.

I agree with all those who say the Civil War did not start over slavery. Every serious student of the war knows that. Slavery only became a major issue a couple oy years into the war and then only for political gain. So what was the principle issue in the beginning?..........States Rights and all that it encompasses. States is still pretty important to Southerners and should be for everyone. JMHO.

Yea those comments from those Tarheels were a lil crazy....

Being from NY, we don't talk about the War much (why would we?) It's covered for like a day or two in history class. But I am confident in two things:

1) If the south ever did leave the north again, the south would kick the north's butt. But that only assumes those in the war stay in their respective states (so those fighting for the UNITED STATES, who are from Georgia/Alabama/etc, fight for the Confederacy).

2) The UNITED STATES would not be nearly as powerful if the Confederacy did stray away. You may not like what happened 150 years ago, but it's been for the better of the country as a whole down the road. If you disagree, that's your free right to, but in my opinion we wouldn't be where we are today. And I'd be rooting for Penn State or Syracuse  :puke:

224846[/snapback]

In responce to your number 2 statement, yea i agree with that. We would be speaking German or something now if the United States would have split up. It turned out for the better.

Archived