Most Underrated Coach in the SEC

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

CFN Ranks the SEC Coaches

Feel free to opine.

Most Underrated – Tommy Tuberville, Auburn – Tuberville never gets mentioned in the same sentence with the nation’s top coaches, but that might change in the near term.  His response to nearly getting run off the Plains by the administration a little more than two years ago? A perfect season in 2004, 22 wins and a mind-blowing 16-1 mark against the SEC.  Tuberville recruits quality assistants as well as anyone and has created a relaxed, low-key atmosphere around the program that is obviously being well-received by the players and the staff.   

<snip>

Best Offensive Coordinator – Steve Spurrier, South Carolina and Al Borges, Auburn – It may take a while for Spurrier’s genius as an offensive game planner to be on full display in Columbia, but that can’t detract from what he’s done in the past or what he’s capable of doing once he gets his recruits into the lineup.  With quarterback Blake Mitchell, running back Mike Davis and wide receiver Sidney Rice back in 2006, we should see some improvement, however, in an offense that was No. 75 nationally in scoring last year.  Borges continues to perform magic for the Auburn attack.  Even after losing the backfield of Jason Campbell, Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams, the Tigers led the SEC in scoring, and Brandon Cox and Kenny Irons performed like worthy successors to the aforementioned trio. 

The attention from the media always falls to those who have the larger fanbases (thus the ones that get more readers, see Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, LSU), or those with the dynamic personalities (Spurrier)... So even the new guys like Urban and Les get more attention than ol' Tommy. But that's fine with me and I'm sure it's fine with him. He just goes about his business of winning football games and lets the chips fall where they may. The fact is that the two programs in the SEC on the most solid footing are the two that met in that classic between the hedges last year.

Before last off-season, I would have said Tommy is the most under-rated. Not anymore. I think Tubberville has gotten the respect he deserves around the national circuit this off-season as one of the SEC's best.

For me, the most under-rated is....well, maybe Shula with his 3 consecutive improvment seasons.

Seriously...who could be said to be under-rated? Maybe Miles because everyone is said to have been thinking that without Saban's recruits he will fail.

But Urban Meyer? Ya...under-rated? :roflol:

Nutt? Croom? Ed O? :roflol:

For me, the most under-rated is....well, maybe Shula with his 3 consecutive improvment seasons.

226286[/snapback]

That has nothing to do with Shula, that's just the way it works at Alabama. You improve for 3 years, the bottom falls out, the coach is fired or leaves, and you start over. It's like clockwork.

1996: 10-3 - Gene Stallings retires

1997: 4-7 under DuBose

1998: 7-5

1999: 10-2 SEC Champions

2000: 3-8 - DuBose fired

2001: 7-5 under Franchione

2002: 10-3 - Franchione leaves

2003: 4-9 under Shula

2004: 6-6

2005: 10-2

2006: ??? Doubt the bottom will fall out like in years past, but can't see an improvement from last year.

Shula has gotten the amount of credit he deserves IMO, and that's "some."

Right, but who else could be pegged as under-rated?

I think Richt, Spurrier, and Tubs get their credit

Meyer? No way in god given hell

Miles? Possibly

Shula? Possibly

Nutt, Croom, Johnson, Ed O, Brooks, Fulmer?

I don't know, I don't really see 1-2 coaches that look out to me as "under-rated" to be honest

I see what you're saying. I would argue though that it's still Tubs. I honestly don't think there are that many people that have given much credit directly to him, but rather they've praised Al Borges for what he's done for the offense. Sure, he deserves it, and maybe indirectly that's a way of praising Tuberville for making the hire, but it seems he gets lost in the shuffle at times. For instance, if the average person (outside the SEC) had to name the Top 10 highest paid coaches in the game, I guarantee you that less people would guess Tuberville than anyone else. That's not to say that salary is the only indication of coaching prowess, but when you compile a list of the best coaches, and a list of the highest-paid coaches, a lot of names will be common to the lists. Those are just a few thoughts on why I would consider him underrated.

I do not see how Coach Tubs could be considered "underrated". He is just one season removed from being voted the best coach in America by his peers. :au:

I do not see how Coach Tubs could be considered "underrated". He is just one season removed from being voted the best coach in America by his peers. :au:

226301[/snapback]

I guess this is a question of how you define "underrated." Yes, he is well-respected among those in the coaching ranks, but I'm not sure the same is true of the media or the common fan.

Oh good lord, I understand.

Until 2004, Richt couldn't win with his own recruits.

Until last season, Richt was only successful due to Brian Van Gorder.

Until 2006, Richt can't succeed without Greene or Shockley.

Even Spurrier will get crap if he doesn't win the East in 2006.

Oh good lord, I understand.

Until 2004, Richt couldn't win with his own recruits.

Until last season, Richt was only successful due to Brian Van Gorder.

Until 2006, Richt can't succeed without Greene or Shockley.

Even Spurrier will get crap if he doesn't win the East in 2006.

226307[/snapback]

And I am sure that Slink will be the first to defend Stephanous Maximus. :D

Tubs has gotten some credit but Richt I think hasn't gotten the credit he deserves yet. I mean, the guy has had a winning season every year he's been at Georgia and he's won 2 SEC Championships and 1 Sugar Bowl win.

under-rated - not really sure

over-rated - URBAN MEYER....HANDS DOWN. The man has done NOTHING to gain the attention he's gotten with just one year in the league. I believe he's in WAY over his head at UF, and will last only 3 more seasons. After all, this is the first head coaching job he's had at a school that really matters.

Tubs has gotten some credit but Richt I think hasn't gotten the credit he deserves yet. I mean, the guy has had a winning season every year he's been at Georgia and he's won 2 SEC Championships and 1 Sugar Bowl win.

226339[/snapback]

I gotta' agree. Richt is also a great human. He and Coach Tubs are probably the best MEN in the SEC. I would take either as my HC any day of the week. Don't get me wrong...I have enjoyed beating the puppies for the past two years. :D

I don't think there are any coaches in the SEC that are underrated too much. Richt and Tubby do get overlooked because of the media's love for Darth Visor and Urban Legend. Anybody notice the most overrated coach? I'm glad I'm not the only one outside of woopig.net that has seen Nutt for the sham that he really is. Sadly CFN has sniffed the Coach O is a good coach glue.

I think the cupboard is bare at Alabama in the coming year. This is a program that will need a fix fast. It's only saving grace in 2006 will be a schedule that's riddled with cupcakes.

I think the cupboard is bare at Alabama in the coming year. This is a program that will need a fix fast. It's only saving grace in 2006 will be a schedule that's riddled with cupcakes.

226363[/snapback]

Hope that wasnt a stab at our schedule...because Ive seen AUs too.

The cupboard isnt bare. We lost a QB on offense thats IT. and our secondary will be just as good overall and deeper at corner.

Scheduling when comparing the two definently favors Auburn. Auburn gets all their big games at home. UAT has 4 tough road games (5 if you include our trip over.lol..), and because of that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if UAT dropped all 5 of those games. We do get Georgia while UAT has Vandy. OOC's are both pretty weak IMO. We don't have any business playing teams like Florida International or Buffalo. With 12 straight games its almost necessary to have a cupcake or two. Washington State is no cupcake. Hawaii, I know nothing about, so have no idea if they are any good or not. Louisiana Monroe is a cupcake. Tulane at this stage in their existence is a cupcake. They may not even have a program within a few years (if not sooner). Duke, while belonging to a BCS conference, is every bit a cupcake just like they've always been. Arkansas State I don't know much about.

I don't see much difference in strength of schedule between the two. UAT has it hard with their brutal road schedule. Auburn will face the same fate in 2007.

Guest Tigrinum Major
The cupboard isnt bare. We lost a QB on offense thats IT.

226368[/snapback]

So you still have receivers that can't catch? Good to know.

By the way, you lost a center also. Closner should have been your Offensive MVP last year, because you absolutely sucked after he got hurt.

The QB you lost was a redshirt senior and you replace him with a guy not even worthy of a redshirt. He got a grey shirt, which translates to "his folks could afford tuition and we didn't want to waste a year's scholly on him".

How you doin' replacing those LBs, one of whom couldn't catch either?

And let Gilberry cheap shot someone in game like he does in spring training and he'll be watching with Mikey and Joey from the sidelines.

Stronger secondary? Surely you jest.

Good luck.

Not intended as a flame, BG, just my honest opinion:

Forget physical talent, I just don't see Bama replacing the leadership that y'all graduated. It's hard for me to admit it, but those guys that "held the rope" and lived through everything Bama's been through in the last four years had to grow into men among men emotionally.

For that reason alone I think your road schedule will have you out of the SEC West race before the Iron Bowl. I just don't see you surviving LSU, UT, UF, and Arkansas on the road without losing two, and two conference losses won't win the West. On the other hand, you might actually have a chance to beat us in Bryant-Denny for the first time if all the "Fear the Thumb" hype works against us and in your favor, psychologically.

But the thread topic was coaching...Bama may have one of the best defensive staffs in the nation, based on results. But I have yet to see anything in the offensive coaching that impresses me.

uat returns the same o-line they had in '05. :lol::lol::lol: (Not to mention flipper and the offensive "brain trust") :roflol::roflol::roflol:

THAT just about says it ALL. :poke:

So you still have receivers that can't catch? Good to know.

By the way, you lost a center also. Closner should have been your Offensive MVP last year, because you absolutely sucked after he got hurt.

The QB you lost was a redshirt senior and you replace him with a guy not even worthy of a redshirt. He got a grey shirt, which translates to "his folks could afford tuition and we didn't want to waste a year's scholly on him".

How you doin' replacing those LBs, one of whom couldn't catch either?

And let Gilberry cheap shot someone in game like he does in spring training and he'll be watching with Mikey and Joey from the sidelines.

Stronger secondary? Surely you jest.

Good luck.

WOW. Judging from that post...we must have won, what, 3 games last year? Statistically speaking our receivers produced more than yours last year.

And we have added a special talent in Nikita Stover who brings instant depth to the table.

Your information about John Parker Wilson is misinformation. He OFFERED to greyshirt. It allowed him to get another spring in before he began his eligibility. He will also have gone through 2 springs getting most of the reps (brodie was still recovering)

We will surely miss Freddie and Demeco. But dont forget we still have Juwan Simpson and Demeco's backup Terrance Jones is very very good. All of our backups at the Will and Sam LB positions are quite experienced. The only concern at the moment is pass coverage from the MLB position.

We are also DEEPER at DL than we were last year.

Gilberry has played 2 full seasons and never had even an offsides penalty. So your argument about him from a practice is worthless. You dont even know if that was Gilberry. Multiple 92s out there in spring practice.

We will have a deeper secondary. We lost both safties, but Jeffery Dukes was playing a ton last year and is an All SEC caliber talent. And CB we are deeper than we have been in years.

Quietfan, I will say you have a point about leadership. I have worried about the same. Its one of those things you cant workout in practice and attain it.

Guest Tigrinum Major
WOW. Judging from that post...we must have won, what, 3 games last year?

226397[/snapback]

How about 3 games against teams with winning records?

Noticed that you didn't address the offensive line.

Good luck. Have a War Eagle Day, BG.

Archived