10 Draft Picks that won't live up to the hype

Jenny AU-92

Well, at least bammer is number 1 this year in something...

10 Overrated Players...

Just over a week until the big event and speculation is flying. As is the case every April, many players enter the final phase of the scouting process with grades they don't deserve. They also carry with them expectations they may never meet in the NFL. Here are just a few.

1. Brodie Croyle, QB, Alabama: A solid short-yardage passer who's done a great job on the college level when healthy, Croyle has marginal size, arm strength and durability for the next level. Many predict he will be selected during the second round, but the better bet is he'll be a lifelong backup.

Discuss...

1. Croyle

Agree

6. Jesse Mahelona, DT, Tennessee: Showing flashes of brilliance on occasion, Mahelona is better known for disappearing for stretches. Factor in character issues and Mahelona could end up struggling to find playing time.

Agree

Not taking a shot at Croyle but I just can't see any team drafting him. He lacks the size of the average NFL QB and I never thought he was an accurate passer. Again, not a knock on him because I never thought White, Nix or Leard were NFL caliber QB's either.

Not taking a shot at Croyle but I just can't see any team drafting him. He lacks the size of the average NFL QB and I never thought he was an accurate passer. Again, not a knock on him because I never thought White, Nix or Leard were NFL caliber QB's either.

231747[/snapback]

The all time bammer passing leader will be drafted, but that doesn't guarantee he'll make the roster.

I saw a draft special on V.Young. ESPN was knocking him because he lost the long ball competition to Croyle in the skills contest.

Did you happen to check out the poll? You can vote for who is the most overrated player out of the 10 mentioned in the article. Guess who was leading the pack when I voted?

Croyle could be a very solid NFL QB, imo.

A Trent Dilfer type QB that doesnt pass for a LOT of yards but gets it done.

He just needs to be drafted by the right team and put some flipping weight on.

Because of his size and his touch on passes, he may never be a starter in the NFL.

But if that writer is questioning BC's arm strength, then he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Because of his size and his touch on passes, he may never be a starter in the NFL.

But if that writer is questioning BC's arm strength, then he doesn't know what he's talking about.

231763[/snapback]

Yeah, as much as us AU guys and gals were happy to see a Croyle on that list, the truth is that he has no clue what he is talking about when you look into his analysis. He says that Croyle has questinable arm stength which is his main NFL commodity and that he has no durablitily issues. Are you kidding me?

He will definitely get drafted. No doubt. The question is behind who?

i say he falls behind Omar Jacobs, Charlie Whithurst, Kelly CLemens, Reggie McNeal (and obviously the big three) at least. Not being the fourth guy chosen would be a dissappointing draft position.

231747[/snapback]

The all time bammer passing leader will be drafted, but that doesn't guarantee he'll make the roster.

I saw a draft special on V.Young. ESPN was knocking him because he lost the long ball competition to Croyle in the skills contest.

231750[/snapback]

I saw the competition ... Young has the stronger arm and threw it further, but he kept throwing the ball out of bounds.

They should add Vince to that list... this guy is not gonna live up to the hype at all. He was only capable of running around and making plays... forget about actually running the actual play. The thing that should be noted is that hes a running qb who doesn't even have a "Vick" type of speed. Besides, his throwing motion can be compared to Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite.

I agree. I have been telling people Vince Young is overrated but they all disagree. If Im drafting QB's 1.Matt Lienart 2.Jay Cutler 3.Charlie Whitehurst

Did he just mention "Croyle" and "durability" in the same sentence???? I could read no further.....

231742[/snapback]

The sentence was "...Croyle has marginal size, arm strength and durability for the next level." Meaning, he is marginal in all 3 of those things...

I agree. I have been telling people Vince Young is overrated but they all disagree. If Im drafting QB's 1.Matt Lienart 2.Jay Cutler 3.Charlie Whitehurst

231807[/snapback]

I think Cutler will be a great NFL QB. As for Lienart, he leaves me flat. Many of you will disagree, but he kinda reminds me of Gino Torretta.

231807[/snapback]

I think Cutler will be a great NFL QB. As for Lienart, he leaves me flat. Many of you will disagree, but he kinda reminds me of Gino Torretta.

231812[/snapback]

I don't think Leinhart will be that great either. I think he'll start for a while, then fizzle out after some lackluster years. I could be wrong. He reminds me of Jason White - he gets rattled anytime the pocket remotely collapses or he gets slight pressure. Fortunately for him, USC has had a great line that prevents that from happening 99% of the time.

Vince Young is not going to be a superstar either. That funky, incorrect throwing motion is about to bite him. Looks like it already embarrassed him when BC beat him in the long ball competition. I think his attitude, however, is going to be the main thing keeping him from being good.

231812[/snapback]

Cutler is the most over-rated player in the entire draft, imo

I must be reading it differently because I read the statement more like: "Croyle has marginal size, marginal arm strength and marginal durability for the next level.

The guy is an idiot.

NONE of the guys on that list have ANY hype. Its not like EVERYBODY is talking about Brodie in the same breath as vince, reggie, and matt...Ive barely heard about brodie.

Its REAL easy to say "these guys wont end up as NFL superstars" when NOBODY is predicting them to be stars anyway.

And for him to say or imply that brodie lacks arm strength is LAUGHABLE. Brodie DID win the long ball competition with a 68 yarder. And Ive seen him throw the ball 74 yards before. Yeah Vince threw one 70 and couldnt keep it within the hash marks. Big deal. Brodie throws long balls without effort. And he has made some amazing throws in his career that required him to put a ton of mustard on it. (see the 84 yard and 30 yard td passes to tyrone in the UF game this year...one was a 50 yd in the air bomb that required touch. the other was a skinny post that he zipped in there)

Brodie has the strongest arm in the draft this year. The guys who worked the senior bowl all said his arm was stronger than Hackney who has a rocket for an arm.

Not saying brodie is going to start for the Pats next year...because he wont...but the guy who wrote this is a joke.

The guy is an idiot.

NONE of the guys on that list have ANY hype. Its not like EVERYBODY is talking about Brodie in the same breath as vince, reggie, and matt...Ive barely heard about brodie.

Its REAL easy to say "these guys wont end up as NFL superstars" when NOBODY is predicting them to be stars anyway.

And for him to say or imply that brodie lacks arm strength is LAUGHABLE. Brodie DID win the long ball competition with a 68 yarder. And Ive seen him throw the ball 74 yards before. Yeah Vince threw one 70 and couldnt keep it within the hash marks. Big deal.  Brodie throws long balls without effort. And he has made some amazing throws in his career that required him to put a ton of mustard on it. (see the 84 yard and 30 yard td passes to tyrone in the UF game this year...one was a 50 yd in the air bomb that required touch. the other was a skinny post that he zipped in there)

Brodie has the strongest arm in the draft this year. The guys who worked the senior bowl all said his arm was stronger than Hackney who has a rocket for an arm.

Not saying brodie is going to start for the Pats next year...because he wont...but the guy who wrote this is a joke.

231842[/snapback]

As is the case every April, many players enter the final phase of the scouting process with grades they don't deserve. They also carry with them expectations they may never meet in the NFL. Here are just a few.

I don’t think he’s saying these guys are projected to be super stars. I think he’s just saying they will not meet their expectations. According to nflreport.com 7 of the 10 are projected in the 2nd or 1st round. Here’s how they rank them.

NFL Report.com

Brodie Croyle, QB, Alabama:

Position Rank - 4 Round Projection - 2

Dominique Byrd, TE, USC:

Position Rank - 6 Round Projection - 2

Johnathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina: *

Position Rank - 10 Round Projection - 3

Greg Lee, WR, Pittsburgh:

Position Rank - 12 Round Projection - 3

Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas:

Position Rank - 5 Round Projection - 2

Jesse Mahelona, DT, Tennessee:

Position Rank - 8 Round Projection - 3

Orien Harris, DT, Miami:

Elvis Dumervil, DE-OLB, Louisville:

Position Rank - 5 Round Projection - 1

Devin Hester, CB, Miami:

Darnell Bing, S, USC:

Position Rank - 2 Round Projection - 1

* Ranked #22 on Mel Kiper's Big Board Mel's Big Board

this article is a waste of space, this guy is a freakin idiot. While i have always given brodie a hard time he definitely doesn't lack arm strength. Brodie had the strongest arm at the senior bowl and the strongest arm at that stupid competition (who cares if vince young threw it further once, it didn't count cause he threw it crooked as hell). In my opinion, Matt leinart is the only solid qb choice this year, but in all honesty after him Brodie isn't far behind and i'd take brodie over vince young anyday (see mike vick)

Archived