Top Ten Team Names and Logos

DKW 86

I pretty much agree with all of it besides the Clemson tiger print being the best logo. It just doesn't do anything for me. I'd pick the Longhorn as the top logo. I've always thought it was pretty cool.

Nice to see 'Bama at #2 on the names list.

Yeah, that Clemson logo is the generic paw print every high school, middle school, and pee wee team uses if they have a feeline mascot. I don't like the WVU logo either, it looks to 70s. And UT's is just a T. Woo hoo. Michigan beats them hands down for the one letter logos.

Yeah, that Clemson logo is the generic paw print every high school, middle school, and pee wee team uses if they have a feeline mascot.  I don't like the WVU logo either, it looks to 70s.  And UT's is just a T.  Woo hoo.  Michigan beats them hands down for the one letter logos.

238520[/snapback]

Isn't the actual Michigan logo just a "M". I admit their helmets are cool, but they are not the logo.

I agree that the generic Clemson paw print should not be #1.

I've always liked Wichita State's nickname- The Shockers (nothing to do with the obscene gesture of the same name). As far as logos go, as much as I hate to say this, the Navy logo that uses the goat on steriods is pretty cool.

As far as logos go, as much as I hate to say this, the Navy logo that uses the goat on steriods is pretty cool.

238540[/snapback]

Fear the goat!

navygoat3507hz.jpg

Can someone explain to me again the Miami "U". I never got that one. And that skinny bird they have with a crack pipe in his mouth.... Huh?

238566[/snapback]

Here is your answer...

The Orange, Green & White

UM’s school colors were selected in 1926. The colors of the Florida orange tree represent UM. Orange symbolizes the fruit of the tree, green represents the leaves and white, the blossoms.

The "U"

In 1973, UM’s Athletic Federation, the fund raising arm of the athletic department at the time, commissioned a local public relations expert to develop a distinctive logo. The University had gone several years with a variety of helmet and uniform changes and the Federation noted that a number of major colleges have the initials UM. Miami designer Bill Bodenhamer suggested the "U" idea, which lent itself to slogans like "U gotta believe" and "U is great".

Sounds pretty corny if you ask me. Link

I have said this before, but I have always liked Maryland. Anyone who can have a sports mascot who represents one of the slowest creatures on earth, and then scream "Fear the Turtle!!" with a straight face has to be respected!! :lol:

i can agree that the longhorn logo should be #1. a LOT of those logos are pretty new.

notre dame and tex. are probably the only logos on that list that are older than ours.

Can someone explain to me again the Miami "U". I never got that one. And that skinny bird they have with a crack pipe in his mouth.... Huh?

238566[/snapback]

Here is your answer...

The Orange, Green & White

UM’s school colors were selected in 1926. The colors of the Florida orange tree represent UM. Orange symbolizes the fruit of the tree, green represents the leaves and white, the blossoms.

The "U"

In 1973, UM’s Athletic Federation, the fund raising arm of the athletic department at the time, commissioned a local public relations expert to develop a distinctive logo. The University had gone several years with a variety of helmet and uniform changes and the Federation noted that a number of major colleges have the initials UM. Miami designer Bill Bodenhamer suggested the "U" idea, which lent itself to slogans like "U gotta believe" and "U is great".

Sounds pretty corny if you ask me. Link

238575[/snapback]

Like most things about Miami, with all due deference to Tubby, it's STUPID!!! B)

:au::homer:

Yeah, that Clemson logo is the generic paw print every high school, middle school, and pee wee team uses if they have a feeline mascot......

238520[/snapback]

It is #1 on thet list is because of what you said. I believe that it is the most copied logo in all of sports (college, minors, pros). When as many teams copy a logo such as Clemson's, there's got to be something that is appealing about it....

Just my 2 cents....

It is #1 on thet list is because of what you said. I believe that it is the most copied logo in all of sports (college, minors, pros). When as many teams copy a logo such as Clemson's, there's got to be something that is appealing about it....

Just my 2 cents....

238699[/snapback]

Is Clemson the first to use it? If not, then why do they get credit for it?

If you look at other logos on the list, it can't be about the most used because there are several that are not used by anybody else but that team. I mean, who else uses the :au: , :ut: , ND, WV, and Miami logos besides those teams?

Clemson's is generic. Here’s some that are different but not ugly…G Tech, The Golden Gophers. Stanford (Tree with the S), Virginia (the V with the two swords). Arizona State, FSU, Purdue, UCF, Louisiana Lafayette, UNLV, Oregon (The one with Donald), UCLA . Texas has a good one. Michigan’s is classic.

UGLY….

Penn

U of Arizona

Boise State

Temple

Oklahoma State U

Tulane

Bowling Green

Toledo

Hawaii (though better than the first logo)

If you look at other logos on the list, it can't be about the most used because there are several that are not used by anybody else but that team. I mean, who else uses the  :au::ut:   , ND, WV, and Miami logos besides those teams?

There is a team that once used the :au: logo on their helmets. According to nationalchamps.net the helmet project the Alfred University Saxons used the :au: logo in 2000. Scroll down and check out their historical helmets. Alfred University the Helmet Project

If you look at other logos on the list, it can't be about the most used because there are several that are not used by anybody else but that team. I mean, who else uses the  :au::ut:   , ND, WV, and Miami logos besides those teams?

There is a team that once used the :au: logo on their helmets. According to nationalchamps.net the helmet project the Alfred University Saxons used the :au: logo in 2000. Scroll down and check out their historical helmets. Alfred University the Helmet Project

238995[/snapback]

very interesting.....great find

Alfred_NY_OLD1.gif

I bet we sent them a real nasty little letter and splained it to them in very intimate detail. :au: has several "Sharks in Armanis" waiting to attack. ;)

If you look at other logos on the list, it can't be about the most used because there are several that are not used by anybody else but that team. I mean, who else uses the  :au: , :ut: , ND, WV, and Miami logos besides those teams?

Nah. Texas uses the :ut: as well.

31-34219-m.jpg

Archived