Simpson not to be tried.

DKW 86

I'm not familiar with the exact program that J. Simpson is under but it's probably very similar to the Pretrial Diversion Program we've had down here for a few years.  These type programs are for folks with little or no previous record.  What it does in our cases, is to make them pay some fines and costs and usually requires them to go through some drug or alcohol program, be tested, check in with a probation officer etc.

As long as they do exactly what is required for what usually amounts to a year, their record is wiped clean.  The program puts the offender through some crap, makes the DA's office and state some money, keeps the jails from completely bogging down and gives the offender a chance for a clean start with no record.

All rivalry stuff aside, Simpson would have qualified hands down for that program regardless of his status as a stud LB at Bama.  If he had no prior record and had been a decent citizen, it would be a no-brainer to put him in it.  This looks like a different version of it.  Now, the thing to understand it that it is still an admission of sorts and Coach Shula still has to handle this as if Simpson was in possession of marijuana.

242061[/snapback]

A cool head in the midst of all this anger. Unfortunately, for most of these guys, nothing short of stoning Juwan is enough.

242206[/snapback]

Sounds like Juwan already took care of the stoning himself. Self-discipline, a way of life for Bama. :poke:

242209[/snapback]

Dang, wesfau . . . a little humor there . . . very little. <_<

242221[/snapback]

Hey, it gave me a chuckle. That's what is really important anyway.

242261[/snapback]

Doesn't take much to amuse a simpleton apparently. :rolleyes:

Just jokin with ya westau. What does that mean anyway? Is it like being born in East LA, ala Cheech?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not familiar with the exact program that J. Simpson is under but it's probably very similar to the Pretrial Diversion Program we've had down here for a few years.  These type programs are for folks with little or no previous record.  What it does in our cases, is to make them pay some fines and costs and usually requires them to go through some drug or alcohol program, be tested, check in with a probation officer etc.

As long as they do exactly what is required for what usually amounts to a year, their record is wiped clean.  The program puts the offender through some crap, makes the DA's office and state some money, keeps the jails from completely bogging down and gives the offender a chance for a clean start with no record.

All rivalry stuff aside, Simpson would have qualified hands down for that program regardless of his status as a stud LB at Bama.  If he had no prior record and had been a decent citizen, it would be a no-brainer to put him in it.  This looks like a different version of it.  Now, the thing to understand it that it is still an admission of sorts and Coach Shula still has to handle this as if Simpson was in possession of marijuana.

242061[/snapback]

A cool head in the midst of all this anger. Unfortunately, for most of these guys, nothing short of stoning Juwan is enough.

242206[/snapback]

Sounds like Juwan already took care of the stoning himself. Self-discipline, a way of life for Bama. :poke:

242209[/snapback]

242221[/snapback]

242261[/snapback]

Just jokin with ya westau. What does that mean anyway? Is it like being born in East LA, ala Cheech?

242268[/snapback]

Simpleton, huh? Check your reading skills, Einstein. That handle is wesFau. Putz.

242061[/snapback]

242206[/snapback]

242209[/snapback]

242221[/snapback]

242261[/snapback]

242268[/snapback]

Simpleton, huh? Check your reading skills, Einstein. That handle is wesFau. Putz.

242285[/snapback]

Oooooh...I believe I touched a nerve. :poke:

You are correct, sir, and you have my sincere apology for misconstruing your moniker.

Are you always this pissy? :moon:

242061[/snapback]

242206[/snapback]

242209[/snapback]

242221[/snapback]

242261[/snapback]

242268[/snapback]

242285[/snapback]

You are correct, sir, and you have my sincere apology for misconstruing your moniker.

242297[/snapback]

Jeez...

Alright you shotgun posting, leg humping, pain in the ass...how about you go back to wherever it was from whence you came? I'll throw in a new cowbell for you to sweeten the deal.

242061[/snapback]

242206[/snapback]

242209[/snapback]

242221[/snapback]

242261[/snapback]

242268[/snapback]

242285[/snapback]

242297[/snapback]

Jeez...

Alright you shotgun posting, leg humping, pain in the ass...how about you go back to wherever it was from whence you came? I'll throw in a new cowbell for you to sweeten the deal.

242304[/snapback]

This thread needs more cowbell...

I for one LOVE the tone of all this.

I hope he gets off scott-free (whatever that means) and that Shula doesn't suspend him for even one half of the ULM game.

I WANT the uat bunch to be morally and ethically and socially corrupt and to attract the guys who naturally go for that slant.  I support the message that this is hopefully sending to the rest of the uat team.

I know it's been discussed on this forum, but Auburn had an almost identical case with a really good linebacker--forget the name--who got caught with MJ and a gun and he was OFF THE TEAM almost instantly.

242069[/snapback]

Come on, like the Bama boys have already noted, Shula has been pretty tight with the discipline this off-season. Let's see how this whole thing finally plays out before you label them corrupt. Dang, innocent until proven guilty, ya'll.

242074[/snapback]

Didn't label them as corrupt. Said I wanted them to be that. This is a start--how much of a start is in the eye of the beholder.

242061[/snapback]

242206[/snapback]

242209[/snapback]

242221[/snapback]

242261[/snapback]

242268[/snapback]

242285[/snapback]

242297[/snapback]

Jeez...

242304[/snapback]

This thread needs more cowbell...

242320[/snapback]

As much as I looooooove that skit, please don't encourage this mouth-breather.

there was pot in his car (could have been the passenger's)

doesn't matter. alabama state law, is the driver is responsible for whatever is in the car, bumper too bumper, no matter who's it may happen to be, or who may be in posession. if 1 is busted, everybody is busted. i know this for a fact.

doesn't matter. alabama state law, is the driver is responsible for whatever is in the car, bumper too bumper, no matter who's it may happen to be, or who may be in posession. if 1 is busted, everybody is busted. i know this for a fact.

242436[/snapback]

That has nothing to do with how his actions are perceived in terms of punishment on for football. If we just went by the law...since he didnt get a felony charge, he shouldnt get much punishment at all...and i doubt you all would go for that.

242436[/snapback]

That has nothing to do with how his actions are perceived in terms of punishment on for football. If we just went by the law...since he didnt get a felony charge, he shouldnt get much punishment at all...and i doubt you all would go for that.

242447[/snapback]

BG, We just want him to be held to the same standard one of our kids would be held to. How is he getting around that weapons charge to pick up the Drug Court. Do you really expect us to believe that they break the law for everyone that shows up in court?

BG, We just want him to be held to the same standard one of our kids would be held to. How is he getting around that weapons charge to pick up the Drug Court. Do you really expect us to believe that they break the law for everyone that shows up in court?

242474[/snapback]

That is what I would like to know. The drug intervention program is not an unusual thing for first time offenders, but why is he going to get off on the gun charge? You see and hear all the public service announcements about gun crimes and how law enforcement is supposedly getting tougher on this, and then you see this bs. Did he use it on somebody, well as far as we know he has not. But the question is, has he ever pointed it at somebody. Drugs and guns are usually used together to commit a crime. When drugs and guns are found together on a person, there is a good chance that person has plans to use that gun for intimidation, stealing, etc. Whereas a normal law abiding citizen does not plan to use it except to defend themselves.

Juwan was a good kid that has found himself getting involved in the wrong crowd. When he was in Decatur, he kept his nose clean and was respected by his teachers. I was shocked to hear about this when it first came out. I am glad that he is going to get off the drug charge with the intervention program, but he needs to face the music with the gun charge.

I must ask the question that has not been asked thus far. Kinda' the 800lb. gorilla

in the room. WHAT was he doing with a GUN in the first place? :blink:

...come on bg...waiting...... ;)

Guest Tigrinum Major

The gun charges have not been dropped or addressed at this hearing. They are still pending, but his lawyer says that he is confident they will "disappear" once the evidence is examined.

He is still on the hook for the gun charges. For now.

I must ask the question that has not been asked thus far. Kinda' the 800lb. gorilla

242520[/snapback]

I knew a ton of people who owned a gun while in college...myself included. There's nothing wrong with it.

242520[/snapback]

I knew a ton of people who owned a gun while in college...myself included. There's nothing wrong with it.

242545[/snapback]

You just don't get it do you? Technically, there is something wrong with it if you don't have it registered. Secondly, there is something really wrong with it if you are carrying it on you or in your car and you don't have a permit to do that. Lastly, there is even more something wrong with it if you have it while being arrested for possesion of illegal drugs. Drug + gun-permit= thuggery and not to mention possible intent.

You can't equal this with having the average joe having one to protect himself. The average joe is not riding around with drugs in his car at the same time. Yes, I know there are alot of people that have unregistered guns, but most keep them at home. Problem with that is that if you ever have to use it to defend yourself inside your house, you may be okay by law with the "defending" part, but you still could face some minor legal problems for not having the gun registered. But buddy, if you are going to be carrying that gun around or in your car, you are stupid if you don't have that gun registered and a permit to carry it. You will get in some serious doo for carrying a gun without a permit.

Permit to carry, yes, you are required by law to have a permit if you are going to have a hand gun on your person or in your vehicle. But, since when did you have to register a hand gun in Alabama? I'm not saying you don't, but I've never heard of Alabama having a registration law.

242520[/snapback]

242545[/snapback]

Nice uat attitude there bg. IF I were HC and a player was caught with a handgun, he is GONE....end of story. Nothing good will come from a 23 yr old student carrying a gun. (And I will lose sleep at night knowing that people like you own a gun.) ;)

Oh. one more question...Did he have a permit to carry this STOLEN gun? :big:

Permit to carry, yes, you are required by law to have a permit if you are going to have a hand gun on your person or in your vehicle. But, since when did you have to register a hand gun in Alabama? I'm not saying you don't, but I've never heard of Alabama having a registration law.

242674[/snapback]

You are still totally missing what I am saying. By law, do you have to register a handgun in the state? No. Is it the smart thing to do? Yes. Do you have to have a permit to carry one in your car? You sure the heck do. Most responsible, that own hand guns are going to register them and have a permit if necessary. All my handguns are registered, because it is the smart thing to do for many reasons, but most of all it covers my a--. But again, to have one while arrested for possession of drugs is a serious problem and you have to wonder about his reason for carrying it. I notice how you keep dodging that issue.

242674[/snapback]

You are still totally missing what I am saying. By law, do you have to register a handgun in the state? No. Is it the smart thing to do? Yes. Do you have to have a permit to carry one in your car? You sure the heck do. Most responsible, that own hand guns are going to register them and have a permit if necessary. All my handguns are registered, because it is the smart thing to do for many reasons, but most of all it covers my a--. But again, to have one while arrested for possession of drugs is a serious problem and you have to wonder about his reason for carrying it. I notice how you keep dodging that issue.

242688[/snapback]

I haven't dodged anything.

Having the drugs in the car was wrong. Period. The courts have adressed that. He has been a good kid, with an outstanding record of comunity service. So they are giving him a break.

The gun is a totaly seperate issue. Should you register it? probably. If for no other reason than to be easier to track it down if it is stolen. If the gun was checked by the Northport police as stated, I have no problem with him having it. He should have gotten a permit for it, but I've always thought it was legal to transport a unloaded gun in a vehicle. I could be wrong on this, and I have no idea if this gun Simpson had was loaded or not. Personaly, I think everyone (non-criminal record) should own a gun. Maybe not carry it around with them everywhere, but everyone (non-criminal record) should own one.

Archived