Simpson not to be tried.

DKW 86

http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...S/60620002/1011

BREAKING NEWS: Simpson to enter pretrial intervention program

By David Wasson

Executive Sports Editor

June 20, 2006

Juwan Simpson is one of four returning starters on Alabama’s defense

BESSEMER | University of Alabama senior linebacker Juwan Simpson will participate in "Drug Court" as part of an agreement reached Tuesday stemming from a marijuana possession charge.

Simpson, 21, appeared in front of Jefferson County State District Court Judge Eric Fancher on Tuesday morning as part of a pretrial hearing.

Simpson was stopped May 20 on Interstate 20/59 near Bessemer after police officers said they saw him driving erratically. He was charged with receiving stolen property, carrying a handgun without a license and unlawful possession of marijuana.

On Tuesday, Simpson and his attorney, Lewis Gillis, spent about 10 minutes in front of the judge before leaving the courtroom. No public comment was made by either Simpson or the judge during the hearing.

Simpson declined comment after the hearing, but Gillis said Drug Court was the preferred option for his client. Simpson tested negative for unlawful drug use on May 17 as part of a job interview and on May 22, when he was tested by the University of Alabama athletic department.

"We could have gone to court and likely won, but that would have served more to feed my ego than to do what was best for Juwan, " Gillis said. "He will be a corporal now and do what is told of him."

Gillis said that Simpson could spend up to a year in the Drug Court system, during which time he will be tested for drug use. Gillis said the drug charge will be expunged from Simpson's record if he completes the program.

The stolen property and handgun charges were not addressed at the hearing, but Gillis said he is confident they will "disappear" once investigators conclude Simpson had no knowledge that the gun was stolen.

Gillis said that Simpson has not heard from Alabama head football coach Mike Shula about how he may be disciplined. The Crimson Tide opens the 2006 season at home against Hawaii on Sept. 2.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea he would have gotten away with it if it was not for

TRASHMAN!!!! Just watch out for the "T" Signal :big:

http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...S/60620002/1011
BREAKING NEWS: Simpson to enter pretrial intervention program

By David Wasson

Executive Sports Editor

June 20, 2006

BESSEMER | University of Alabama senior linebacker Juwan Simpson will participate in "Drug Court" as part of an agreement reached Tuesday stemming from a marijuana possession charge.

Simpson, 21, appeared in front of Jefferson County State District Court Judge Eric Fancher on Tuesday morning as part of a pretrial hearing.

Simpson was stopped May 20 on Interstate 20/59 near Bessemer after police officers said they saw him driving erratically. He was charged with receiving stolen property, carrying a handgun without a license and unlawful possession of marijuana.

On Tuesday, Simpson and his attorney, Lewis Gillis, spent about 10 minutes in front of the judge before leaving the courtroom. No public comment was made by either Simpson or the judge during the hearing.

Simpson declined comment after the hearing, but Gillis said Drug Court was the preferred option for his client. Simpson tested negative for unlawful drug use on May 17 as part of a job interview and on May 22, when he was tested by the University of Alabama athletic department.

"We could have gone to court and likely won, but that would have served more to feed my ego than to do what was best for Juwan, " Gillis said. "He will be a corporal now and do what is told of him."

Gillis said that Simpson could spend up to a year in the Drug Court system, during which time he will be tested for drug use. Gillis said the drug charge will be expunged from Simpson's record if he completes the program.

The stolen property and handgun charges were not addressed at the hearing, but Gillis said he is confident they will "disappear" once investigators conclude Simpson had no knowledge that the gun was stolen.

Gillis said that Simpson has not heard from Alabama head football coach Mike Shula about how he may be disciplined. The Crimson Tide opens the 2006 season at home against Hawaii on Sept. 2.

241912[/snapback]

Shocker. <_<

Yea he would have gotten away with it if it was not for

TRASHMAN!!!!    Just watch out for the "T" Signal  :big:

241918[/snapback]

I think "Trashman" put the fix in on this one myself. I like Juwan, but not in my wildest dreams did I ever see this happening. :headscratch:

In an unrelated note, Coach Mike Shula has announced that Simpson will be forced to sit out the afternoon sessions of two-a-day practices this summer.

Coach Shula said "We F****** thought that his violations weren't f****** bad enough to warrant a f****** suspension. Besides, we need him too f****** much in the LB rotation this f****** year."

did anyone that reads this board,really expect anything to be done,otherwise?...huh?....thats the way of the bammerfarts....it'll happen again before long,watch and see

241928[/snapback]

:clap::clap::clap:

A least they put the key reason he is going to get away with it all right out front.

Yeah because he may or may not have know it was stolen lets forget the misdemeanor if not felony charge of carrying a gun without a permit. This is nothing more than those big money bammers in b'ham increasing the mystique of a well known bammer tradition. Its this kind of crap along with CMS stance on lets see if he gets probation and is not allowed to leave the state for the first few weeks of the season to announce any possible punishment because we really need him and not letting him practice is more than enough punishment for drug possession, possession of a handgun and stolen property charges. They wonder why people laugh at the idea of shula and discipline and think in 3-5 more years with flipper they could very well be on probation again.

Well now that all the facts are out, I dont think its nearly as bad as originally shown. Juwan DID get his buddies at the Northport police dept to run the gun through their system and they told him it was clean. Juwan passed two drug tests one before and one after the incident.

So now we have a situation where there was pot in his car (could have been the passenger's) and a gun he bought legally (at least he thought he did).

That's not NEARLY as bad as I thought it was. Slip in judgement sure...but considering he's been a pretty standup guy for 4 years, i dont think his punishment should be that of being kicked off the team.

Though around here, if Shula would have done anything short of cancelling the season next year for Juwan's mistake...you guys would crucify him.

Well now that all the facts are out, I dont think its nearly as bad as originally shown. Juwan DID get his buddies at the Northport police dept to run the gun through their system and they told him it was clean. Juwan passed two drug tests one before and one after the incident.

So now we have a situation where there was pot in his car (could have been the passenger's) and a gun he bought legally (at least he thought he did).

That's not NEARLY as bad as I thought it was. Slip in judgement sure...but considering he's been a pretty standup guy for 4 years, i dont think his punishment should be that of being kicked off the team.

Though around here, if Shula would have done anything short of cancelling the season next year for Juwan's mistake...you guys would crucify him.

241938[/snapback]

NO he should not be kicked off the team no one said that but one more player they have to replace works for me. However going by CMS other punishment the following will be the outcome and its just to light.

Simpson will be forced to sit out the afternoon sessions of two-a-day practices this summer.

Well he's kicked 3 guys off the team this year. He suspended our most important WR, 2nd most important DB, and our most important special teams (non kicker) players for the cotton bowl.

Im telling you...there is nothing he could do short of kicking every player that has a hiccup off the team...to keep you guys from saying he's soft.

Nobody here EVER EVER EVER gives him credit. Fortunately, im used to it.

Well he's kicked 3 guys off the team this year. He suspended our most important WR, 2nd most important DB, and our most important special teams (non kicker) players for the cotton bowl.

Im telling you...there is nothing he could do short of kicking every player that has a hiccup off the team...to keep you guys from saying he's soft.

241941[/snapback]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the guys academically inelgiible and could not play in the Cotton Bowl?? Thus didn't matter what CMS did actually making the statement "They are suspended." to show some kind of validation. It didn't matter,they couldn't have played anyway, right?!?!?

Wasn't Keyes, the guy that didn't play his senior year of HS b/c of drug problems, and came in to bama with the screw up and your gone? THen after the third screw up he is finally given the boot??!!??

241941[/snapback]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the guys academically inelgiible and could not play in the Cotton Bowl?? Thus didn't matter what CMS did actually making the statement "They are suspended." to show some kind of validation. It didn't matter,they couldn't have played anyway, right?!?!?

Wasn't Keyes, the guy that didn't play his senior year of HS b/c of drug problems, and came in to bama with the screw up and your gone? THen after the third screw up he is finally given the boot??!!??

241956[/snapback]

Don't forget that Keys injured a teammate in a Spring scuffle.

241941[/snapback]

241956[/snapback]

241958[/snapback]

That is what I am referring to, yes!! I have a hard time believing someone who is in possession of property that comes up as being stolen, didn't know it was. In almost 5 years of LE, I never ever saw that. They ALWAYS said that, but it was never true.

LE - "You bought this Glock 40 cal from your buddy?"

JS- "Yes, sir."

LE - "How much did you pay him?"

JS - "$100"

LE - "You bought a $500 gun for $100 and you didn't think something was suspicious?"

JS - "uh, duh...I would like to speak to my attorney now please."

241958[/snapback]

Nope, Keys was the one that was injured in the scuffle. It was supposedly his roommate. Roommate confronted Keys about problems he was causing, Keys smarted off, and the roommate kicked his a-double-s.

Legally speaking, How in the hell is this kid getting out of the possesion of Marijuana charge? Short of Bribery, there is no way it should happen. Look at any other case similar to this and tell me the outcome, Ignoring people with money naturally.....

JUUUUUUUUUUUUST because he's a big TV star, that Homer Simpson can get away with anything.... :lol:

:au::homer:

First off, what do the clean drug test have to do with his biological makeup at the time of the arrest? There are scores of illegal drugs that can be flushed from the system in 24-48 hours.

And another thing, ignorance of the law is no excuse. How does him not knowing that the gun was stolen matter AT ALL??

THIS IS SUCH TOTAL HORSES***!!!!

Who says it doesnt matter at all? If you read the article, it clearly stated that he hasnt been before a judge on those charges yet.

And AWK, I had plenty of friends in college who got busted for posession of marijuana that got community service or some other thing like Juwan did in this case.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Who says it doesnt matter at all? If you read the article, it clearly stated that he hasnt been before a judge on those charges yet.

And AWK, I had plenty of friends in college who got busted for posession of marijuana that got community service or some other thing like Juwan did in this case.

242021[/snapback]

The Machine?

Nah, doesn't exist.

I just heard on the radio that his lawyer is a Scrushy lawyer. Is that true? That would explain alot if he is.

Archived