Neal McCready article on Juwan Simpson

This is a article written by Neal McCready in the Mobile Register this morning. McCready rips the Bammers pretty good in this article over the Handling of Juwan Simpsons case.

Here is the link.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/nm...2540.xml&coll=3

Sports Columnist Neal McCready

Simpson case, sadly, not a surprise

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

So, Juwan Simpson's penalty for possession of marijuana is a little time in "drug court," followed by the expunging of the charge from his record once he completes the program.

Why am I not surprised?

That resolution, reached Tuesday in Bessemer in front of Jefferson County State District Court Judge Eric Fancher, likely clears the way for the Alabama senior linebacker to play football for the Crimson Tide this season, if indeed that was ever in doubt. After all, that's what's most important, right?

The other charges Simpson faces from the May 20 arrest on Interstate 20/59 near Bessemer -- possession of stolen property and possessing a handgun without a permit -- were not addressed at Tuesday's hearing, although Simpson attorney Lewis Gillis told media that he is confident the charges will "disappear" once investigators conclude Simpson had no knowledge that the gun was stolen.

In fact, the Tuscaloosa News is reporting that Simpson claims he took the gun to the Northport Police Department, after his brother gave it to him, to make sure it was acquired legally, and that he also claims the police failed to accurately run the gun's serial number and told him the weapon was clean. So, Simpson stashed it under the seat in his vehicle and you know the rest. Gillis, in case you were wondering, has apparently elected to represent Simpson pro bono. That must be nice.

Hey, Alabama?

Are you OK with this?

Looks like it's time to stop the Tennessee bashing around these parts. It was funny when Alabama was clean. It's not so humorous now that Phillip Fulmer has kicked a quarterback off his roster for driving under the influence while Mike Shula has a quarterback with a DUI No. 1 on his depth chart. Of course, Fulmer was never going to play Jim Bob Cooter, so that rare example of Knoxville discipline is symbolic only. After all, winning appeases fans, secures jobs, keeps those millions rolling in. Shula needs Wilson. He needs Simpson.

Perhaps my skepticism is unwarranted. Simpson has, by all accounts, been a model citizen during his playing days at Alabama. Furthermore, he tested negative for unlawful drug use on May 17 as part of a job interview, and again on May 22, when he was tested by the UA athletics department. Simpson probably deserves a second chance, and he'll most assuredly get one. And in fairness, Shula recently dismissed talented linebacker/defensive back Chris Keys for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

None of that, however, answers the one question any true cynic would have in the wake of Tuesday's developments: Would Simpson have gotten the same treatment, including the same legal representation, had he not been a major college football player with a future in the National Football League?Because in the end, isn't that what this and cases like this all over the country are about? Just get them back on the field. After all, there are games to be won, egos to be validated, and the self-esteem of hundreds of thousands of fans to be enriched.

The rest, in many fans' minds, is just details. But here's what can't be avoided: On that night on Interstate 20/59, Simpson is accused of driving erratically with a stolen pistol, no permit and illegal drugs. One month later, that night is well on its way to being erased from any and all records.

Maybe that's how it should be. Perhaps any other 21-year-old with a college degree and no criminal record would get the same treatment. But just forgive me if I don't buy right into that theory

Whats new? Neal has always hammered Bama and AU in his articles...hes an Ole Miss grad.

To compare us to UT is a freaking joke. UT's players get "summer" suspensions for FELONIES.

Yeah he booted Jim Bob Cooter...big deal.

Nice to see you are sticking to the "post only about bama" rule.

I love it. Phil kicks a kid off the team and flipper gets his guy a FREE attorney. west vance a it's best!

Well...he can do what he wants to to us...but I'm not going to stand here...and LISTEN TO HIM BADMOUTH THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!

GENTLEMEN!!!!! (Exit...stage right...humming the Star Spangled Banner)

:)

:au::homer:

One of my first thoughts was to wonder if Attorney Lewis Gillis is a Bama grad/donor/booster/ticket holder. Since UAT has the largest law school in the state, that's not too unlikely. If he was, I was thinking that the NCAA might look a little differently on a Bama booster giving a Bama player free legal aid. Before anyone else wanders down that road of speculation, here's what I found on the Internet:

http://www.tmgslaw.com/CM/News/News55.asp

Born in Troy, Ala., on April 13, 1948, Gillis earned a Bachelor's Degree from Tuskegee University in 1970 and a Jurist Doctorate from Emory University in 1973.  Gillis also earned a Master's Degree in Criminal Justice from Auburn University, Montgomery, Ala .  Gillis also served in the United States Army and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel from the United States Army National Guard.  Gillis is a member of the Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees and the Alabama Bar Association.
Assuming this is the same Lewis Gillis, I'm glad I can put any "Gillis = Bama grad" rumors to rest before they start.

I'm still wondering, however: IF, as several have suggested, Alabama law specifically forbids access to this "Drug Court" when firearms are involved, how did Simpson swing that neat trick? I haven't heard any of our resident WEN attorney speak to that issue, though, or seen the specific ordinance. Anyone have a concrete link on firearms barring eligibility to this drug program?

Keep waiting on the Tide fans to address it too. This is really starting to smell bad for Alabama. Simpson gets a new version of the law invoked just for him. I guess playing at the Capstone really does pay.

Just love how NONE of the state's three biggest papers are mentioning this either. BUt did anyone expect anything else? :no:

Keep waiting on the Tide fans to address it too. This is really starting to smell bad for Alabama. Simpson gets a new version of the law invoked just for him. I guess playing at the Capstone really does pay.

Just love how NONE of the state's three biggest papers are mentioning this either. BUt did anyone expect anything else? :no:

242234[/snapback]

They are all waiting until after he starts playing this season. Then they will run stories about how Simpson has risen above his mistake and will take his place as one of the best linebackers to ever play in Tuscaloosa.

Too freakin predictable.

Actually, Phil kicks a kid of the team, and Shula boots a player who actually plays and has a future.

242223[/snapback]

Sheila booted a kid who had drug problems even in high school. Chris Keys also broke his leg during a fight with Ali Sharief. There have also been some stories that Chris Keys failed several drug test in Tuscaloser. Sheila is really a tough disciplinarian for kicking him off the Bammer team.

he got the drug court deal because he plays football for the bammerfarts who also have the law school that produces almost all of the lawyers and the judges in this state,thats why....the fix is on and it is exactly what i expected to happen....not a damn thing.....coach hula,aka flipper, will punish him just like he is told to punish him because he is in no more control of that unethical program than i am

he got the drug court deal because he plays football for the bammerfarts who also have the law school that produces almost all of the lawyers and the judges in this state,thats why....the fix is on and it is exactly what i expected to happen....not a damn thing.....coach hula,aka flipper, will punish him just like he is told to punish him because he is in no more control of that unethical program than i am

242281[/snapback]

Lordy, you folks are in a twist over this, aren't ya? Hey, it's just a game, right? Live and let live.

That McCready fellow is one bitter soul.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Well...he can do what he wants to to us...but I'm not going to stand here...and LISTEN TO HIM BADMOUTH THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!

GENTLEMEN!!!!! (Exit...stage right...humming the Star Spangled Banner)

:)

:au:   :homer:

242226[/snapback]

You're not walking out

on this one, mister.

You're finished.

No more Delta!

(Deltas hum the national anthem)

You've bought it this time, buster!

I'm calling your national office!

I'm going to revoke your charter!

(National anthem plays)

Ifyou wise guys try one more thing...

one more, l'll kick you out of this college!

No more fun of any kind!

Actually, Phil kicks a kid of the team, and Shula boots a player who actually plays and has a future.

242223[/snapback]

What about ray-ray? :lol::lol::lol::poke:

242234[/snapback]

Did you check the Eufaula Tribune, DKW? :blink::D

Ray Hudson's first offense. History of being a stand up guy...never even had a hiccup afterwards.

Do YOU think he should be kicked off the team?

Do you think every player who smokes weed should be booted? If so, I wish you could have gone to some parties with me a few years ago where there were AU football players present.

Ray Hudson's first offense. History of being a stand up guy...never even had a hiccup afterwards.

Do you think every player who smokes weed should be booted? If so, I wish you could have gone to some parties with me a few years ago where there were AU football players present.

242313[/snapback]

Stating that you were "at a party with some AU players that were smoking pot" without an OUNCE of proof is just stupid and classless. Mr. Simpson was BUSTED by an office of the law. I know you had rahter give him the benefit of doubt because your "so-called" team REALLY needs him, but, I had rather take the word of the officer that was simply attempting to do his job and keep the highways safe for us all by getting someone that was in possesion of grass and a stolen handgun OFF the road and into JAIL, where he belongs..

Yep, that's the ticket. B)

p.s. Since he supposedly tested clean for "drugs", maybe they were looking for the wrong substance. Maybe he should have been tested for some of what YOU have been smoking.

p.s.s. In the future, if you wish to avoid arrest, maybe you should leave the party when you KNOW the law is being violated. :D

242313[/snapback]

Stating that you were "at a party with some AU players that were smoking pot" without an OUNCE of proof is just stupid and classless. Mr. Simpson was BUSTED by an office of the law. I know you had rahter give him the benefit of doubt because your "so-called" team REALLY needs him, but, I had rather take the word of the officer that was simply attempting to do his job and keep the highways safe for us all by getting someone that was in possesion of grass and a stolen handgun OFF the road and into JAIL, where he belongs..

p.s. Since he supposedly tested clean for "drugs", maybe they were looking for the wrong substance. Maybe he should have been tested for some of what YOU have been smoking.

p.s.s. In the future, if you wish to avoid arrest, maybe you should leave the party when you KNOW the law is being violated. :D

242355[/snapback]

Its only classless if Im a liar. And my track record has proven me to not be a liar.

Im sorry that I dont have proof that I used to go to parties when i was in college. Didnt know I needed to collect DNA samples while i was there. Either way, it doesnt negate the fact that I saw what I saw and I heard what I heard.

Regardless, if you think AU players dont smoke pot, you are REALLY kidding yourself. And if you think someone deserves to be in jail because they commited a crime that wasnt even a felony, they you need to take off the blinders.

242313[/snapback]

I dont think every player should be kicked off their team for smoking pot, just the ones that play for the team in West Vance. :lol::poke:

242313[/snapback]

242355[/snapback]

Its only classless if Im a liar. And my track record has proven me to not be a liar.

Im sorry that I dont have proof that I used to go to parties when i was in college. Didnt know I needed to collect DNA samples while i was there. Either way, it doesnt negate the fact that I saw what I saw and I heard what I heard.

Regardless, if you think AU players dont smoke pot, you are REALLY kidding yourself. And if you think someone deserves to be in jail because they commited a crime that wasnt even a felony, they you need to take off the blinders.

242365[/snapback]

Well, I for one would be very disappointed if this were in fact true. I would hope our players would make better choices than that. What were they thinking allowing a "bammerfart" in their party! :poke:

Archived