Blackmon vs. Simpson

quietfan

Like I said, I haven't researched it but I would imagine that to be the case. There are numerous crimes that are jacked up in severity when a firearm or other weapon are used. I can't see there being a statute that disqualifies a person from eligibility for a pretrial diversion program because there was also a possession of firearm charge. Could be, but it doesn't make sense.

I guess technically, the two charges would be unrelated, even though he was arrested for both at the same time. Either way, I hope it teaches him a lesson. The kid's got a degree and a possible future in football. Don't screw it up now by doing dumb arse stuff.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, I must ask the question..WHY did he have the gun? (I did not know that student athletes/football players were required to carry a weapon).

THAT is the question that begs to be answered and that uaters a running away from. :big:

Hey man, if someone tries to steal my stash, I got a little sumpthin, sumpthin' fo em'. I'll pop a cap off in that rear end if you try to rip my weed off! :big:

Again, I must ask the question..WHY did he have the gun? (I did not know that student athletes/football players were required to carry a weapon).

THAT is the question that begs to be answered and that uaters a running away from. :big:

242672[/snapback]

Why did he have the gun? I have no idea. If you took a poll/census in the state of Alabama I'm sure the majority of people would own a gun.

242672[/snapback]

Why did he have the gun? I have no idea. If you took a poll/census in the state of Alabama I'm sure the majority of people would own a gun.

242682[/snapback]

Dude, even in this state I doubt it would be a majority, a high percentage perhaps, but I doubt a majority....

The point is, he's a student at UA, how many of those have guns... Oh nevermind... That's a majority too I guess...

Im not a lawyer so i dont know. I havent seen you produce the law stated clearly anywhere either.

242595[/snapback]

Also please tell how it is that one of the most high profile attorney's in Bham takes on a case pro bono for a kid that will be making millions in a year???????????

If he did "check" the gun out with Northpointe Police before hand, then the illegal firearm charge will be dropped. However, something funny you wont hear about, did JS have a pistol license?  Even if the gun was "checked", It is still illegal for him to have it without a license. I'm sure all of this will be "hushed" though...

242598[/snapback]

Its not illegal to have a pistol without a license.

242601[/snapback]

BUT>>>>>>>>>>It is illegal to carry it in your car(concealed) without a permit.

Dude, even in this state I doubt it would be a majority, a high percentage perhaps, but I doubt a majority....

The point is, he's a student at UA, how many of those have guns... Oh nevermind... That's a majority too I guess...

242687[/snapback]

This is a small sample size, but it would probably wind up being fairly accurate.

I live in a court circle in my neighborhood. Of the 6 houses in that court circle, I know 4 of them have guns (mine being one of them). The other 2 I'm not sure about because I'm not that close with the families that live there, so it is possible and even probable with one of them, that they also own a gun.

As far as college students, I don't know. I'm not in college, so I don't know any students to compare to. I do know that when my cousin went to college, he owned a gun and had it in his apartment.

242672[/snapback]

242682[/snapback]

242687[/snapback]

Bingo! And, for those that are ignorant of the law in this State, you MUST have a liscense to carry a weapon. Period. :poke:

242687[/snapback]

This is a small sample size, but it would probably wind up being fairly accurate.

I live in a court circle in my neighborhood. Of the 6 houses in that court circle, I know 4 of them have guns (mine being one of them). The other 2 I'm not sure about because I'm not that close with the families that live there, so it is possible and even probable with one of them, that they also own a gun.

As far as college students, I don't know. I'm not in college, so I don't know any students to compare to. I do know that when my cousin went to college, he owned a gun and had it in his apartment.

242700[/snapback]

Gun ownership overall in this state hovers around 50%, I'm aware and pretty sure of that percentage, maybe I wasn't clear.

Let me proffer a counterpoint, I can't find the data offhand though, but I think the percentage of handgun owners is more like 25-30% in Alabama. And that is what we are talking about here... Particularly among college students, which I suspect is much lower.

I'm no lawyer, but, er, strike that. *grin*

I don't know AL law, but I believe the definition of "carry" may be causing confusion. I do believe that it is legal to have in your constructive possession a handgun without a permit as long as it is separated from any ammunition so that it could not be quickly loaded and used. You may have a firearm in the trunk and ammo locked in the glove box. No permit required. I may be wrong, but that's what I believe to be the law. AUE?

In TN, we could use a handgun to hunt with before there was a provision allowing one to have a permit to carry (a loaded) handgun. I think you can still hunt w/o a permit, but I'll check. BTW, in TN, it's legal to "Cheney" any known Bammer with a handgun w/o a permit.

Stoic...Does it matter? Even if its .000001%...POSESSION of a gun is not a problem AT ALL. Its having the gun without the permit.

AGAIN you guys try to find things that arent there...the kid owned a gun. Big deal. I knew TONS of people who were students in college and owned guns. Some of them...gasp...went to AUBURN.

I swear its like you guys are trying to ring him up for murder on supposition alone.

"well college kids dont need guns...so him having one means he's bad...and since he had a nickel bag, that means he was planning on shooting someone. I know he didnt, but we should go ahead an stick him in prison and punish him for something he probably did that we didnt catch"

Let me proffer a counterpoint, I can't find the data offhand though, but I think the percentage of handgun owners is more like 25-30% in Alabama.  And that is what we are talking about here... Particularly among college students, which I suspect is much lower.

242712[/snapback]

I'm sure you are correct in this. Handguns are not as common as other types of guns.

Here's my question for you. If a college student is of legal age to purchase a handgun, what is wrong with him/her having one?

Let me proffer a counterpoint, I can't find the data offhand though, but I think the percentage of handgun owners is more like 25-30% in Alabama.  And that is what we are talking about here... Particularly among college students, which I suspect is much lower.

242712[/snapback]

I'm sure you are correct in this. Handguns are not as common as other types of guns.

Here's my question for you. If a college student is of legal age to purchase a handgun, what is wrong with him/her having one?

242718[/snapback]

Its only bama football players who present a problem. Its ok for AU kids. Or any football players for teams who dont play against AU this year.

242712[/snapback]

242718[/snapback]

I'll bite, nothing I suppose, but you have to admit possesion of both(Pot and a handgun) just doesn't smell right...

242712[/snapback]

242718[/snapback]

Its only bama football players who present a problem. Its ok for AU kids. Or any football players for teams who dont play against AU this year.

242720[/snapback]

Whatever....

Guest Tigrinum Major

242720[/snapback]

You don't get it. You are such a homer.

It isn't just hving a handgun. It's having a handgun that you don't have a permit to carry, that was stolen (I don't care if he didn't know, ignorance is no defense), along with some pot while driving erractically on the interstate.

He should sit at least two games, without having it announced retroactively.

Trey Blackmon should sit one game, without having it announced retroactively.

The above is my opinion and as such, is right.

I certainly know nothing about handgun law in Alabama or any other state. My feeling is that the court will make the proper decision once JS's firearms charges come before it.

What I do know is that handgun possession is by no means unusual in Alabama. I'd wager that a goodly number of the vehicles parked near Jordan-Hare or Bryant-Denny on any given football Saturday have handguns in them, and many of those are unpermitted. I wouldn't find it unusual for anyone over the age of 18 in Alabama to have a pistol. Not the majority, for sure, but enough to make it unsurprizing.

Next question for the lawyers or law enforcement professionals: If a vehicle is stopped for other reasons and a pistol is found, under what conditions, if any, is it automatic to seize the weapon until lawful ownership is established? Would all be seized first & check out? Would an unloaded weapon be seized if no ammo is found in the car? Would a brand new gun in the trunk in its original case be seized? If the person could produce legit papers and proper permits, but was found carrying other contraband (e.g., pot), would the gun be seized as a matter of routine?

My point is: In Simpson's case, are there any circumstance under which the officer(s) would NOT have seized the gun, or would seizure be standard operating procedure anyway until the firearm could be traced and charges dismissed?

242720[/snapback]

You don't get it. You are such a homer.

It isn't just hving a handgun. It's having a handgun that you don't have a permit to carry, that was stolen (I don't care if he didn't know, ignorance is no defense), along with some pot while driving erractically on the interstate.

He should sit at least two games, without having it announced retroactively.

Trey Blackmon should sit one game, without having it announced retroactively.

The above is my opinion and as such, is right.

242726[/snapback]

TM im not arguing that him having a stolen gun and pot is OK. I was just arguing the perception that its wrong to have a gun illegally or legally as a college student...as a couple have suggested.

And TM id argue that JS should get 3 games suspended, run till he pukes many many times, and some more community service.

I think the 1 game for Blackmon would suffice as well.

Regardless...Im sure Blackmon and Simpson are in the best cardiovascular shape of their lives now...and probably know what getting up at 5am every morning to test out that shape feels like.... :)

Dope and guns. You've seen the pics in the papers - Big photo opportunity for law enforcement. They have a few bags of pot, 3 deer rifles, a couple of legal shotguns, pellet pistol - they usually take them all. They usually return those legally possessed - if you have a lawyer. If you use a gun in the drug trade, you don't get it back. That's how things are done around here. Second Amendment be damned!

If you are stopped by law enforcement, things always go smoother if you don't have a gun. I went through a license roadblock a few years back. I turned on the dome light so the cop could see my long gun. "What are you doing with that gun?" "I'm coming home from bear hunting." "You don't have ammunition in the vehicle do you?" "Uh, didn't I mention I'm returning from bear hunting? - Of course I have ammunition." "Well, you shouldn't have ammunition and the gun in close proximity of one another. Go on." Geez.

21? I thought that was just to be allowed to marry your sister in Tennessee. Hey, Jeewan didn't try to marry his sister at gunpoint, did he? He probably got her high with all that marywanna he'd been snortin' and tried to marry her.

And Legal, what cha' bringin' the Bear into this discussion for? You know the Bear would never have put up with such.

Archived