One of the few dems I actually like

Ranger12

So all of you that are against the burn ban or just don't care period, do you likewise feel that a person should not be arrested for taking a piss on the Lincoln Memorial, Arlington National Cemetary, the Vietnam Memorial, the Statue of Liberty, etc, etc? I mean, if I get a permit to demonstrate, by your reasoning, I should be able to defecate on and/or desecrate any of these national symbols without fear of reprisal. I mean, it's just a "symbol." All I want to do is make a "statement." And don't throw up property rights in my face because my tax dollars are used each year to maintain these monuments so in all actuality, the national symbols are partially mine.

Now that I think about it, I believe I'll go to DC during the Fourth and ask to see the Declaration of Independence up close and personal so I can wipe my ass with it right after I take a dump on the WWII memorial. We'll see how you feel then...unless you just don't care about those either which you probably shouldn't unless you want to be labeled a hypocrite.

243919[/snapback]

No, because you don't own those things. They aren't private property. Not only would you likely be breaking laws regarding public indecency, you're marring something that isn't your personal private property. If someone wants to buy a flag with their own money then burn it, that's their business. Now if they want to climb up and burn the flag that flies at Arlington National Cemetary or the one in my front yard, they are breaking the law and deserve to be punished. Same goes for a Bible...burn your own copy--be an idiot, see if I care. Try to burn mine or someone else's without their permission, you've stepped over the line.

So all of you that are against the burn ban or just don't care period, do you likewise feel that a person should not be arrested for taking a piss on the Lincoln Memorial, Arlington National Cemetary, the Vietnam Memorial, the Statue of Liberty, etc, etc? I mean, if I get a permit to demonstrate, by your reasoning, I should be able to defecate on and/or desecrate any of these national symbols without fear of reprisal. I mean, it's just a "symbol." All I want to do is make a "statement." And don't throw up property rights in my face because my tax dollars are used each year to maintain these monuments so in all actuality, the national symbols are partially mine.

Now that I think about it, I believe I'll go to DC during the Fourth and ask to see the Declaration of Independence up close and personal so I can wipe my ass with it right after I take a dump on the WWII memorial. We'll see how you feel then...unless you just don't care about those either which you probably shouldn't unless you want to be labeled a hypocrite.

243919[/snapback]

No, because you don't own those things. They aren't private property. Not only would you likely be breaking laws regarding public indecency, you're marring something that isn't your personal private property. If someone wants to buy a flag with their own money then burn it, that's their business. Now if they want to climb up and burn the flag that flies at Arlington National Cemetary or the one in my front yard, they are breaking the law and deserve to be punished. Same goes for a Bible...burn your own copy--be an idiot, see if I care. Try to burn mine or someone else's without their permission, you've stepped over the line.

243931[/snapback]

Point well taken. I just don't feel that way. I can't in good conscience agree to allow the burning of the same flag that was present at Yorktown when our independence was secured. The same one that inspired Francis Scott Key to pen our National Anthem. The same one that flew on the Arizona on December 7, 1941. The same one hoisted above Iwo Jima. The same one that survived the WTC collapse on 9-11. There is hardly anything more disgraceful. CCTAU put it right: There is nothing that burning a flag says other than, "I hate this country."

I understand why you feel that way. I get pissed too. But they have a right to say "I hate this country." That's what makes this country such a great one in the first place...we let people criticize the country, its leaders, its government and so on. We don't need to demand they suppress their feelings. The solution to free speech or expression we find offensive is not stifling it...it's more free speech. You speak out. You say why that flag should matter. You say why you love it and this country. It's a battle to be waged in marketplace of ideas and between the ears of the American people, not the courtrooms.

Just make it legal for an ordinary patriotic person to have the right to whip their ass any time they burn the flag. Then they can have their free speech and so can I. :chair:

Just make it legal for an ordinary patriotic person to have the right to whip their ass any time they burn the flag. Then they can have their free speech and so can I. :chair:

244052[/snapback]

Good looking kid. Take after his mom? :poke:;)

I understand why you feel that way.  I get pissed too.  But they have a right to say "I hate this country."  That's what makes this country such a great one in the first place...we let people criticize the country, its leaders, its government and so on.  We don't need to demand they suppress their feelings.  The solution to free speech or expression we find offensive is not stifling it...it's more free speech.  You speak out.  You say why that flag should matter.  You say why you love it and this country.  It's a battle to be waged in marketplace of ideas and between the ears of the American people, not the courtrooms.

243940[/snapback]

Well said. :thumbsup:

244052[/snapback]

I heard a good idea. Make it illegal for anyone slugging a flag burner, punishable with a fine up to but not over a fine of $ 1.00.

;)

Archived