Nice Cox Read

quietfan

Nice article in the Mobile Press-Register today:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg...5490.xml&coll=3

Brandon a leader

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

By EVAN WOODBERY

Sports Reporter

AUBURN -- Brandon Cox looked thoroughly bronzed and a bit tired after workouts in 100-degree heat, but if Auburn's quarterback feels pressure going into this season, he's not showing it.

After a successful 2005 campaign, the junior quarterback has already proved wrong the critics who doubted his ability to run coordinator Al Borges' West Coast offense. The soft-spoken Cox has also impressed those who wondered whether he could be a team leader.

Although officially voluntary, workouts are now a major part of summer life for virtually every member of the football team who hopes to contribute in the fall. The toll is even more demanding for someone like Cox, who is responsible for organizing and directing the player-led portion of the workouts.

Hardened by a year in the SEC, the 6-foot-2, 201-pound Cox is no longer a fledgling rookie.

"I'm looking at this season a lot differently than last season," he said.

The 22-year-old economics major sat down to talk with the Press-Register about summer workouts, the highs and lows of 2005, and this season's expectations.

-- Q: What makes up the summer program?

-- A: We're in the weight room every day. You either come at 6 in the morning or 3 in the afternoon -- it's your choice. It's every day, Monday through Friday. You usually do some type of conditioning and a lift. We're in there about two hours a day. And then on Tuesdays and Thursdays, we have passing (drills) and then run-throughs with the offensive linemen and those guys. That's a player-only session.

-- Q: Do you take the lead in organizing the offense for those sessions?

-- A: Yeah, I get together with the offensive guys, and (senior linebacker) Will Herring gets together with the defensive guys. We decide when we're going to do it and encourage the guys to get out there. We've had great participation this summer. For the most part, everybody's been out there.

-- Q: What can really be accomplished in the summer?

-- A: Summer's a time for guys to get in the weight room, get stronger, get faster and get bigger. And then on Tuesdays and Thursdays, we're working with receivers on getting our timing down. This is a great time for the older guys to be teaching the younger guys. When the coaches are out there, the younger guys don't always get the attention they need. In summer, they've got a chance to learn from the older guys.

-- Q: Do you feel any different this summer than you did last year at this time?

-- A: It's just the experience I have. Last year at this time, I really hadn't had much experience playing. I hadn't started any games. This year, I've started all season. I have that experience.

-- Q: Going back to last season, you had a rough outing in the opener (Cox threw four interceptions in a loss to Georgia Tech). Did any doubts creep into your head after that night?

-- A: We put that behind us that night. After the game, I had a lot of guys come up to me and encourage me and tell me that they still believed in me. That was big that the guys were still behind me and knew I could get the job done. They were telling me that it wasn't all my fault, that it was a team effort. We put that one behind us and really didn't look back to it after that.

-- Q: The 2005 season ended with two huge wins over rivals, then an inexplicable letdown in the Capital One Bowl. What happened in Orlando?

-- A: The Georgia game and Alabama game went about as good as you can imagine. Ending the season like we did with those two great teams and then having the letup like we did in Orlando against Wisconsin was disappointing. We had had a great season up to that point. We get reminded every day about it. (Strength and conditioning coach Kevin Yoxall) wears a Capital One Bowl badge around his neck every day, and he's always telling us that we're only as good as our last game. We ended our regular season great, but everybody remembers our last game and that was against Wisconsin. That's what we have to work with. We're just ready to be back out there to start playing football again.

-- Q: Do you have a "Fear the Thumb" T-shirt?

-- A: I don't have one yet. I haven't even seen it.

-- Q: Because of Auburn's four-game winning streak, do you get the sense that the buildup for the Iron Bowl is starting earlier than ever?

-- A: Alabama-Auburn is what people talk about year 'round. They've been talking about it ever since the game was over with. To win five in a row would be pretty big. There's going to be a lot of pressure on both sides. We have a long ways to go before we get there. Once that week comes around, I know everybody's going to be excited and there's going to be a lot of pressure on both of us. We'll be going for five in a row, and they'll be trying to break the streak.

-- Q: You lost three experienced receivers (Ben Obomanu, Anthony Mix and Devin Aromashodu) to graduation. How do you replace that group?

-- A: That's really our only question mark that people seem to have. We lost a lot of great guys at that position, but we've got Courtney Taylor, who's been here and has experience and is going to be great. Prechae Rodriguez got a chance to play a little bit last year and stepped up in big situations. Lee Guess has done great in there running the slot position. Robert Dunn, Montez Billings, James Swinton -- we've got a lot of depth, it's just a lot of young guys. Tim Hawthorne and Terrell Zachery have already come in and been out there working. They have a lot of potential. I think they could step in and play.

-- Q: (Backup quarterback) Blake Field had only one substantial opportunity to play last year (when Cox became sick prior to the Western Kentucky game). Is he ready to step in again if called upon?

-- A: I know from personally going through it with Jason (Campbell) that it's tough being a backup and not having any experience. That game that he got was great. He's come a long way and has had a great spring and has got a lot better making decisions, so I feel very comfortable with him as a backup.

-- Q: The high preseason rankings are already pouring in for Auburn. Is that worrisome or welcome news?

-- A: I like it. I don't want us to be ranked too high. (In 2003) I know some people had us No. 1 and we got off to a slow start. I think it's going to be different this year. A lot of guys were here during that season and saw what happened, so I really don't think being ranked real high will have an effect on us this year.

-- Q: Last year at this time, you probably weren't known much outside of Auburn fans. This year, you're an experienced starting quarterback on a nationally known team. Has celebrity changed things at all?

A: I've noticed it a little bit. When I'm out and doing things, it really doesn't bother me. It hasn't been that bad. I just go with it. It's kind of fun going out and having people know you.

Wow. He sounds relaxed & confident, and ready to start the season. He's embracing the leadership role too. Nice to hear him deflect all that talk about the IB until the week of the game -- that shows maturity. :thumbsup: WDE :au:

Wish he had answered the question about what happened in Orlando.

243858[/snapback]

True...but it sure is nice to read that they are being "reminded" about it often.

We get reminded every day about it. (Strength and conditioning coach Kevin Yoxall) wears a Capital One Bowl badge around his neck every day, and he's always telling us that we're only as good as our last game.

243858[/snapback]

He certainly knows what happened down there and hopefully it won't happen again. Yes, they have been constantly reminded of our last ball game.

243858[/snapback]

True...but it sure is nice to read that they are being "reminded" about it often.

We get reminded every day about it. (Strength and conditioning coach Kevin Yoxall) wears a Capital One Bowl badge around his neck every day, and he's always telling us that we're only as good as our last game.

243859[/snapback]

That would get to me no doubt... I hope they go into next season on a huge high note...

I wouldn't worry about Cox. He's a steady QB who'll have you guys ready come 9/2. He's gonna have a field day against that weak Pacific defense of Wazzu.

How in the world could he not have seen a 'Fear the Thumb' shirt?

:blink:

243908[/snapback]

Obviously he doesn't watch the Bamaham local newscasts. They made sure CTT was on there for a couple of weeks after he wore his, or at least enough time for all the :ua: folks to see it and get enraged...

One of the LSU posters on here last year said he was in BR for the game. He said he was sitting in the endzone with the students and they were giving it all they had to make noise and rattle AU as they drove towards that goal. He went on to say the one thing he noticed was how calm and cool BC was as they drove for 6 right into the teeth of the LSU section.

Folks, there is no bigger stage than JHS, BDS, LSU, Gainesville, Athens or Knoxville on an SEC football Saturday night. If you can remain calm and focused and do your job in those settings.....

You done been there, done that!!!

One of the LSU posters on here last year said he was in BR for the game.  He said he was sitting in the endzone with the students and they were giving it all they had to make noise and rattle AU as they drove towards that goal.  He went on to say the one thing he noticed was how calm and cool BC was as they drove for 6 right into the teeth of the LSU section. 

Folks, there is no bigger stage than JHS, BDS, LSU, Gainesville, Athens or Knoxville on an SEC football Saturday night.  If you can remain calm and focused and do your job in those settings.....

You done been there, done that!!!

243937[/snapback]

Yeah, I remember being at that game. Every time Cox broke the huddle, he walked to the line looking like he was strolling into Thach Hut to drop off his laundry. It was almost nerve racking witnessing how calm he was. Basically, imagine watching the Normandy Beach seen form Saving Private Ryan, and imagine someone strolling through the middle of it in a pair of bright blue bremuda shorts, flicking a yo-yo up and down. That's what Brandon looked like in Baton Rouge. He has so much poise. It's almost unsettling to watch.

How in the world could he not have seen a 'Fear the Thumb' shirt?

:blink:

243908[/snapback]

Obviously he doesn't watch the Bamaham local newscasts. They made sure CTT was on there for a couple of weeks after he wore his, or at least enough time for all the :ua: folks to see it and get enraged...

243909[/snapback]

Who said we were enraged. I personally love seeing our rival claim a victory that they haven't even accomplished. It fits nicely with the 2004 National Championship and makes for great bulletin board material.

i know brandon coxs personally from playing against trussville in high school. this guy has had alot of personal\family problems in his life that makes college football seem like a little league tball game! he has been through it all and that's why he has ice running through his vains. this kid is special, i have this tremendous gut feeling about him, he will lead us to the promise land. all you guys on this forums try to analysis every aspect of the game. quit that, use your heart and let it ride. it's our year!! it's our year to shut up lee corso and his stupid hair. it's our year to actually make kirk herbstreet admit that the iron bowl is the greatest rivalry in the country. it's our year to stop nay saying our team and doubting the future. hey auburn fans let's let's show the country what color blood we bleed! let's let the other team down the road doubt themselves!! IT'S OUR YEAR!!!

P.S. What happened last year in orlando?? They all went out and indulged in the Orlando night life is what happened!!

P.S. P.S. lol wincrimson, touchea!! (spelling??) not a word you often have to spell

Archived