Latest Article from Finebaum

TigerfanKM

Unbelievable article from Finescum slamming Bama fans, for hating each other!! I guess losing can tend to splt up the family. See link ...

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...5150.xml&coll=3

245939[/snapback]

"I'd guess about 85 to 90 percent of the RVers didn't go to Bama," St. John said.

Interestingly, one of the most loyal Alabama fans of all-time, Tony Brandino, who went to 500 Alabama games in a row, isn't a graduate, either.

"He considered himself a 'pure fan' because he made a meaningful choice in picking Alabama when he could have given his allegiance to any team," St. John said. "Graduates, he said, had no choice -- they had to pull for the school they attended.

That is now my definition of delusion. That says it ALL! That was sssooo much spin my head just went Linda Blair. Seriously, I think I just wrenched my back.

i just finished reading that....thanks for putting it up here....i really don't think that the average bammerfart will understand what he just told them in that article.....(the average bammerfart can't read the article,for that matter)i wonder if they understand what the man just said regarding the beer-bellied, loudmouthed imbeciles and their standing, and how they are viewedby the highbrows at the crapstone?....i doubt it hit home,but that appears to be one huge insult to the "bubba's" that paint their ugly faces in red paint and act like a damn fool on national TV....interesting article

Instead of seeing divisions, they should focus on the things they all have in common:

They all use toilet paper, they all can probably afford a box of Tide detergent, and most of them have enough intelligence to nail the two on a stick... :big:

chill, as the season approaches we will see more articles like this, one

week :au: , next :ut: , uat and maybe even :lsu: or Florida. It's all part

of a well laid out plan to get everybody in a lather and increase ratings.

Plus throw in calls from his boy shane, and it all brings in more ads and

ratings. If Auburn folks would not call in or even listen our lives would be

a lot more enjoyable.

It's about time to feed the NCAA rumor which he seems to hatch from time to time.

Finebaum is a hack but he ain't stupid, he knows how to tap into fans nerves and he is good at it.

PS what a stupid article and waste of time, how many times has bryant rolled over in his grave since he was put there? Isn't it like every week now?

Unbelievable article from Finescum slamming Bama fans, for hating each other!! I guess losing can tend to splt up the family. See link ...

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...5150.xml&coll=3

245939[/snapback]

"I'd guess about 85 to 90 percent of the RVers didn't go to Bama," St. John said.

Interestingly, one of the most loyal Alabama fans of all-time, Tony Brandino, who went to 500 Alabama games in a row, isn't a graduate, either.

"He considered himself a 'pure fan' because he made a meaningful choice in picking Alabama when he could have given his allegiance to any team," St. John said. "Graduates, he said, had no choice -- they had to pull for the school they attended.

That is now my definition of delusion. That says it ALL! That was sssooo much spin my head just went Linda Blair. Seriously, I think I just wrenched my back.

245940[/snapback]

I graduated from Mississippi State.

WAR EAGLE

G2, you know I was picking on the poor uneducated Mullets out there that are so graciously bestowing the selection of the Almoghty Tide as their Team of choice. They pick Alabama like they pick their nose, it is just handy.

You are a proven scholarly man. Not a 'dirt road fan.'

G2, you know I was picking on the poor uneducated Mullets out there that are so graciously bestowing the selection of the Almoghty Tide as their Team of choice. They pick Alabama like they pick their nose, it is just handy.

You are a proven scholarly man. Not a 'dirt road fan.'

246022[/snapback]

Nah, it doesn't bother me. I don't feel like any less of an Auburn man because I made an unfortunate choice.

I have a theory on the old Alabama nation that I've been tossing around for years, one I've considered turning into a book. The whole thing is built on the Old South mentality. At the time Alabama was at its apex of power, the South was in a tumultuous time. The state was all over the news with the civil rights issues. The white working class in the state was being forced to change by the federal government. Traditional Southern society was breaking down. Day after day proud, white southerners were being assailed in the media, called backward, called ignorant. Everything they thought they knew was called into question. And there was Alabama. White boys. Bear Bryant, the archetypal hard-drinking, hard-edged, tough-love southern warrior. Maybe dogs and hoses were in the streets of Birmingham. So what? Bryant and the boys from Alabama confirmed that the things white folks had always believed were still true. They were out there whipping up on those folks from the north. Beating up on those west coast pinkos. The yankees, those carpetbaggers and scalawags, forced their way of life on the south, claiming a moral high road. White southerners needed something, anything, to restore their pride and dignity. And there was Alabama football. Bryant came along at the right time.

Alabama's football success validated the lives and beliefs of the average white southerner -- particularly the less educated ones. And face it, in the early 60s, most of the south was uneducated. College wasn't a right, it was a privilege. Alabama's success perpetuated the white south mentality and in my opinion kept it alive for much longer than it would have existed without Bama football.

I've often wondered how differently things would have played had Alabama not existed at that time and Auburn been the dominant national power. I believe the differences in personality between Bryant and Jordan might have presented an entirely different scenario. I don't think it's too much to suggest that had Alabama football and Bryant not existed or even been merely an average program that Birmingham -- not Atlanta -- would have become the hub of the new south. There was a time most thought that Birmingham would be that city.

If I write that book what are the chances I'd get lynched?

I have to take exception to what I surmise is a point of view regarding your proposed book. Though I dont dispute the fact that many of the southern hoi polloi at the time thought exactly along those lines, a significant majority one may speculate. I would only hope that you would at least devote a paragraph or two and annotate the fact that Bryant was instramental in more than one case for breaking the color barrier and integrating southern schools and subsequently college sports. JMHO

I have to take exception to what I surmise is a point of view regarding your proposed book. Though I dont dispute the fact that many of the southern hoi polloi at the time thought exactly along those lines, a significant majority one may speculate. I would only hope that you would at least devote a paragraph or two and annotate the fact that Bryant was instramental in more than one case for breaking the color barrier and integrating southern schools and subsequently college sports.  JMHO   

246033[/snapback]

I disagree... the guy had a chance to snag Stallworth during his years, and denied to. I cant even repeat the comment that was made during that whole process.

I have to take exception to what I surmise is a point of view regarding your proposed book. Though I dont dispute the fact that many of the southern hoi polloi at the time thought exactly along those lines, a significant majority one may speculate. I would only hope that you would at least devote a paragraph or two and annotate the fact that Bryant was instramental in more than one case for breaking the color barrier and integrating southern schools and subsequently college sports.  JMHO   

246033[/snapback]

I'm not saying Bryant was at fault by any stretch. That's not the agenda at all. It's more of a perfect storm of circumstances that all came together -- Alabama's success, the civil rights movement, his personality, the need of southerners to have something -- anything -- to take pride in.

It's not that Alabama or Bryant did anything wrong (at least not when it comes to this issue, his Fulmeresque football-related exploits are another book altogether), only that the convergence of these things helped create the situation that exists and persists in this state until today. Everything from perception to reality.

G2, I truly think there is some merit to what you propose. You and I had our differences over a statement I made some time ago wherein I stated I think there are far more Alabama fans in this state than Auburn. Let me clarify that by saying I believe there are a much larger number of Alabama fans that come from the ranks of those who never attended college.

While the actual percentages are certainly up for debate, my thinking centered around some of your same ideas. In taking many of the above factors into consideration, numerous people who had no ties or alliegance to a particular school, gravitated to Alabama in large part because of the enormous success they had during that time period. It was certainly a way for southerners to snub their noses at, or feel one-up on the rest of the country that constantly stereotyped the white, southern man.

Write your book. I'll buy it too.

http://www.alabamatv.org/alex/studyguides/rosesguide.htm

ROSES OF CRIMSON

An episode of The Alabama Experience documentary series

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STUDY GUIDE

This program was produced by Tom Rieland

Suggested grade levels: 8-12: This program is appropriate for classes in Alabama history and social sciences or as enrichment as it relates to Alabama and Southern culture.

The program is nearly 59 minutes long, but is divided into numerous titled subsegments, which provide convenient stopping points. We'd suggest two viewing sessions:

1. :00-28:20 (to the end of the segment entitled "Tusca-loser")

This first 28 minutes sets up the 1926 Rose Bowl victory with a history of Southern football ineptness and a profile of some of the key players and coaches who helped bring Alabama football to the forefront in the 1920s.

2. 28:21 - 58:45 (cut short by 1:25 if you stop before credits)

This segment begins with the "Those damn Yankees" segment and proceeds through the description of the Rose Bowl game and aftermath.

Introduction

It was the most important game in the history of Southern football. The University of Alabama was chosen in 1925 to represent the "East" and go to Pasadena, California, to play in the Rose Bowl against Washington. It was the first time a Southern team had ever been invited to the only collegiate bowl game of the time. This game would represent a turning point in the Southern mindset about the game of football. Some historians say if Alabama had lost badly (as it was expected to), the South wouldn't have spent so much emotional energy from the late 1920s to today on this sport. The South would instead have perhaps become widely known for its literature or some other activity.

As it was, Alabama shocked the country by beating Washington in what is still considered one of the most exciting bowl games ever played.

http://www.alabamatv.org/alex/studyguides/rosesguide.htm
ROSES OF CRIMSON

An episode of The Alabama Experience documentary series

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STUDY GUIDE

This program was produced by Tom Rieland

Suggested grade levels: 8-12: This program is appropriate for classes in Alabama history and social sciences or as enrichment as it relates to Alabama and Southern culture.

The program is nearly 59 minutes long, but is divided into numerous titled subsegments, which provide convenient stopping points. We'd suggest two viewing sessions:

1. :00-28:20 (to the end of the segment entitled "Tusca-loser")

This first 28 minutes sets up the 1926 Rose Bowl victory with a history of Southern football ineptness and a profile of some of the key players and coaches who helped bring Alabama football to the forefront in the 1920s.

2. 28:21 - 58:45 (cut short by 1:25 if you stop before credits)

This segment begins with the "Those damn Yankees" segment and proceeds through the description of the Rose Bowl game and aftermath.

Introduction

It was the most important game in the history of Southern football. The University of Alabama was chosen in 1925 to represent the "East" and go to Pasadena, California, to play in the Rose Bowl against Washington. It was the first time a Southern team had ever been invited to the only collegiate bowl game of the time. This game would represent a turning point in the Southern mindset about the game of football. Some historians say if Alabama had lost badly (as it was expected to), the South wouldn't have spent so much emotional energy from the late 1920s to today on this sport. The South would instead have perhaps become widely known for its literature or some other activity.

As it was, Alabama shocked the country by beating Washington in what is still considered one of the most exciting bowl games ever played.

246071[/snapback]

'

That would be good background, but I'm looking specifically at the 60s and early 70s.

In 1960 Atlanta had a population of only around 400.000 (total metro, 1 mil). Birmingham had a population of around 350,000 (total metro over 800,000). Birmingham was poised due to geographic location, railroads and the steel industry to be the south's transportation and industrial hub.

Instead, Atlanta launched a $21 million airport renovation in 1961. Delta Airlines acquired a couple of smaller airlines in 1971 and became a major carrier. While rural Alabamaians were still celebrating George Wallace's stand in the door (don't get me wrong, Wallace is one of my heroes, the greatest politician in history in my opinion), and living vicariously through Bama football and Bryant, Atlanta was becoming the most important city in the South.

I was just adding that for background. Finebaum had a woman on years ago stating that that was THE most important game in Southern football clap trap. IT plainly is not.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

Vanderbilt: Billingsley

LSU: National Championship Foundation*

Auburn: Billingsley

Georgia Tech: Billingsley, Helms, Houlgate, National Championship Foundation

It was surely a big deal at the time but the then Contemporary :sec: had already won 4 MNCs by that time.

The REALLY SCARY part of all this is that this is from a CURRICULUM for high schoolers. :o They are purposely telling them crap that is not exactly true.

Archived