Supposed Pitts arrest, It was DUI

tgr4lfe

Pitts screwed up and should/will be punished for his actions. Where is GG and his ax to bust up the pro drinking crowd on this thread, I swear he wishes the Volstead Act was still around.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went through college and while I did partake in an adult beverage or 30 :big: along the way I never once got behind the wheel of a car. Personal experience with drinking and driving has made an impression on me that alcohol in any quantity I care to consume has never taken off.

I agree with aulax:

I believe that there will be some type of punishment involved such as a few games suspension, and even more likely, morning workouts with Coach Yox. The specific length and type of punishment will probably vary depending on how a meeting wit the coaches goes and if they believe this was a one time occurrence and will not happen again, or if this could be a re-occurring incident.

I don’t know if that will be the case or not but it does sound fair for a few game suspension, extra workouts, and considerable meeting/counseling with the coaches to make sure he gets his head on straight. However, I trust CTT to do what’s right with Pitts if he thinks dismissal is the route to go then I will agree with it.

Harsh penalty I agree with. Laps, extra workouts with Yox, multiple game suspension, counseling with coaches...etc. If you truely care about this young man then kicking him off the team just compounds his problem. We don't know what the circumstances were. He made a mistake, a HUGE one. These guys are human. We all make 'em.

How many of you guys that drink can honestly say that you have NEVER driven while even being slightly impaired? Not many. I say give im a chance to be in an environment where he is supervised and counseled in a program such as ours so that he can fully understand the weight of his poor decision. I guess I'm just not as quick about pulling the trigger as some of you about this.

247076[/snapback]

I have to agree 110%. Excessive alcohol use is a symptom of the problem.

I have never had a drop of alcohol in my life and don't intend to

Then I don't think you are qualified to be in this debate.

247030[/snapback]

Uh, I drive a car on the very road that people who you guys (well, you and Wishbone) think shouldn't be arrested unless they hit something, so that qualifies me to debate whether I should have to drive on the road with those people. That's like saying it should be legal for people to discharge a firearm in public places as much as they want and it would be legal as long as they didn't shoot anyone. Insanity.

Please read this is the tone that i am not angry but surprised.

247030[/snapback]

Uh, I drive a car on the very road that people who you guys (well, you and Wishbone) think shouldn't be arrested unless they hit something, so that qualifies me to debate whether I should have to drive on the road with those people. That's like saying it should be legal for people to discharge a firearm in public places as much as they want and it would be legal as long as they didn't shoot anyone. Insanity.

247103[/snapback]

Hmm.... Wouldnt really relate the gun thing to what that point was aimed at. I think the point was more aimed at the fact that 1-3 beers doesn't really impair your judgement, depending on the drinker... and the fact that if you haven't tasted a drip of alcohol before, then you really dont know how true or false that point is.

The fact is that a large segment of the population drinks and drives on a regular basis.  I wonder what % of Jordan-Hare is legally drunk after an AU game.

Just because a large segment does it does NOT excuse someone from drinking and driving.

Coming from personal experience, when a family member of YOURS dies from it, you will change your tone about the subject.

Let me also say that I am not talking about the player/sitation or anything...I just can't stand those who want to let those getting arrested for DUI's get off because hey, everyone does it.

UGA had several the last few years whom I would have loved seen suspended longer for them.

I have never driven my car with alcohol in my system even with 4 years at UGA. Not once. I guess I am crazy though for not doing it :blink:

Harsh penalty I agree with. Laps, extra workouts with Yox, multiple game suspension, counseling with coaches...etc. If you truely care about this young man then kicking him off the team just compounds his problem. We don't know what the circumstances were. He made a mistake, a HUGE one. These guys are human. We all make 'em.

How many of you guys that drink can honestly say that you have NEVER driven while even being slightly impaired? Not many. I say give im a chance to be in an environment where he is supervised and counseled in a program such as ours so that he can fully understand the weight of his poor decision. I guess I'm just not as quick about pulling the trigger as some of you about this.

247076[/snapback]

I care about Pitts, but I care about the other 70 somethings men in the longer room more than the one. Sometimes you have to sacrifice the one to make the rest safer. According to earlier posts, Pitts has had several chances. He should receive no more. A signal will be sent to the rest of the team that this sort of thing can be swept under the rug. I want a team full of players that all do that right thing. Certainly some actions are excusable, but Pitts has overstayed his welcome as far as I am concerned. If the coaches do suspend him for 6 games then he might as well transfer and get a full year in somewhere else and try to make it in the NFL.

The fact is that a large segment of the population drinks and drives on a regular basis.  I wonder what % of Jordan-Hare is legally drunk after an AU game.  Montae was unfortunate enough to get caught.  I don't see why everyone is being so hard on him, especially since I doubt anyone here knows him.  The fact is that he has stuck with the team all this time and I believe this is the first time he has ever been arrested.  I have known alot of good people who have made the mistake of getting a DUI, sometimes just barely over the limit, which in my opinion has been set to draconianly low levels.

246980[/snapback]

The fact is athletes are highly visible representatives of the university. Their off-the-field behavior is closely scrutinized, especially with the free flow of info via the internet. Team rules exist for a reason; you break them, you get punished. Of course, it's up to the head coach as to what extent. Pitts is not someone who has endeared himself to many people with some of his decisions, so I don't expect AU fans to give him much slack.

Legal alcohol limits are low? Maybe you should use that platform to run for state legislature.

247030[/snapback]

Deepseas, can you be over-qualified to be in this debate?

:drink1:

247030[/snapback]

Deepseas, can you be over-qualified to be in this debate?

:drink1:

247145[/snapback]

I would like to apologise to the entire AUNation for bringing on another non-AU poster - corndognation. My only other referal was YankeeSnake, and I know he is not very well liked.

I do not think it's a good idea to drink and drive and I never do it personally anymore, but I'm 30. There were plenty of times @ Auburn and after I graduated that I woke up in all kinds of places, not knowing how I got there. Even hit my own garage door one time. I'm just saying don't be so harsh on the guy, he's 22. I could care less if he plays ball or not, I wouldn't be hard on any 22 yr-old.

I like the way you think Wbone.

Talked to a very prominent member of the Auburn football team tonight - he said that Pitts is likely suspended for the first half of the season, called it "very stupid."

He also said he wouldn't be surprised to see Kevin Sears suspended for the first couple of games.

Saw it on Fox6 tonight that Montavis Pitts was stopped somewhere in AL for a DUI and arrested. BAC of .14. I don't like this one bit... the discipline that we were having seems to be lacking at the moment.

Talked to a very prominent member of the Auburn football team tonight - he said that Pitts is likely suspended for the first half of the season, called it "very stupid."

He also said he wouldn't be surprised to see Kevin Sears suspended for the first couple of games.

247152[/snapback]

Sears going to get an additional 2 games on top of the one game he got last year?? WOW!!

Am I the only one that thinks the old manual dexterity test is more accurate determining someones ability to drive than a breathalyzer?

247232[/snapback]

Actually, the field sobriety test combined with the breathalyzer measuring BAC is more accurate than either method alone. The argument for the threshold BAC level is debatable, though. Some think that lowering from 0.10 to 0.08 just clogged up the courts with marginal violators.

247030[/snapback]

247103[/snapback]

Hmm.... Wouldnt really relate the gun thing to what that point was aimed at. I think the point was more aimed at the fact that 1-3 beers doesn't really impair your judgement, depending on the drinker... and the fact that if you haven't tasted a drip of alcohol before, then you really dont know how true or false that point is.

247104[/snapback]

If you think you are not impaired after only a few beers, you probably drink way too much. It is true alcohol affects people in different ways depending on body size, metabolism, experience drinking we'll say. Having spent 4.5 yrs in LE I firmly believe that even an experienced drinker is impaired to some degree after just a few drinks. Even if it is just slowing your reaction by a fraction of a second could result in a wreck. I am with SLink on this.....if you are caught DUI you should be punished. I was glad when Alabama passed the multiple DUI conviciton law, allowing LE to charge a person with a felony after 4 convictions. I personally charged two individuals with this felony in my last year (which was first year of the law, I believe) of LE. One of those actually had been arrested over a dozen times for DUI dating back to the 1980s!!!! Of course, the drunk never thinks they are drunk. All I've got to say is if you even have 1 beer or drink to not get by the wheel of a vehicle to drive. You may not be criminally liable, but in this happy society of civil suits, you better bet you would get taken to civil court!!! There's another reason not to drink and drive. I am sure you like your house and money, don't you??? Not to mention if you are married with kids!!

JUST DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

247030[/snapback]

247103[/snapback]

247104[/snapback]

If you think you are not impaired after only a few beers, you probably drink way too much. It is true alcohol affects people in different ways depending on body size, metabolism, experience drinking we'll say. Having spent 4.5 yrs in LE I firmly believe that even an experienced drinker is impaired to some degree after just a few drinks. Even if it is just slowing your reaction by a fraction of a second could result in a wreck. I am with SLink on this.....if you are caught DUI you should be punished. I was glad when Alabama passed the multiple DUI conviciton law, allowing LE to charge a person with a felony after 4 convictions. I personally charged two individuals with this felony in my last year (which was first year of the law, I believe) of LE. One of those actually had been arrested over a dozen times for DUI dating back to the 1980s!!!! Of course, the drunk never thinks they are drunk. All I've got to say is if you even have 1 beer or drink to not get by the wheel of a vehicle to drive. You may not be criminally liable, but in this happy society of civil suits, you better bet you would get taken to civil court!!! There's another reason not to drink and drive. I am sure you like your house and money, don't you??? Not to mention if you are married with kids!!

JUST DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

247252[/snapback]

I go out with a bunch of guys, and one of them has a breathalizer he bought either online or at some store. I had 3 beers over a 2 hour period and barely even registered a .01-.02. As for the effects I felt, it was similar to that of smoking a cigarette.

I dont drink and drive if I'm wasted, or register even a .06 with that thing. As others mentioned, its personal responsibility. I feel like I do the right things and make good choices.... I dont need a preaching.

I believe the statistics are pointing toward fatigue as being a greater threat than DUI. But most times they go hand in hand. I hardly ever drive after drinking anymore. If I get wings or mexican, I may have one beer. For me, that is no different than a coke. For you little guys and gals, maybe it makes a difference.

I dunno, maybe I sent the wrong message earlier when I posted. I wasn't debating whether or not you're actually "drunk" after one or two beers. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Shoot, I feel fine after 3 and feel perfectly capable of operating a car, truck, tank, heavy machinery, etc. The point is, you can't. Not legally anyway. And if you try and get busted then you're going to find yourself in deep doo-doo. So why even risk it? That's the point I was trying make. There are rules in place and you can't get around them no matter how superior you feel. Pitts chose to consciously break the rules and now he's paying the consequeces for his actions and for that, I don't feel sorry for him. I don't wish him ill will and I hope this has taught him a lesson and I hope he does well regardless of what happens to him. He should be thankful to still be alive and be thankful that he doesn't have someone else's blood on his hands. I'm not hell bent on corporal punishment for every infraction, just the ones that carry serious implications. So a player breaks curfew, etc, etc, etc. Big deal. Slap on the wrist. But a DUI? C'mon now. That carries very serious implications and if you let him off lightly then what message does that send him and the rest of the team??? "Hey, it's ok to drink and drive and get busted. Coach is still gonna let us play." Who knows what he or anybody else might try next? You've got to nip this in the bud while it's still hot. Hopefully it set an example to the rest of team but it's unfortunate that it had to happen anyway when it could have been prevented starting with Pitts that night in Tuskeegee.

Hope that clears that up.

247152[/snapback]

Sears going to get an additional 2 games on top of the one game he got last year?? WOW!!

247238[/snapback]

Well, looks like the player nailed it - his exact words were "Montae's probably done for the year, definitely the first half of the season" and "I think Kevin (Sears) is done until the Carolina game"

Am I the only one that thinks the old manual dexterity test is more accurate determining someones ability to drive than a breathalyzer?

247232[/snapback]

I agree, but the law wants an absolute number so they can hang you or let you go.

Archived