Big 12: Highest Number of Div 1-AA

DKW 86

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/colleges/15109575.htm

Big 12 wants higher degree of difficultyBy WENDELL BARNHOUSE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

When media days arrive, football season approaches on the horizon. The Big 12 holds its annual three-day gab fest starting today in Kansas City and one topic that rates discussion is the Big 12's nonconference schedules.

Division I-A schools are allowed 12-game schedules, and the Big 12 embarks on its 11th season with a calendar packed with light confections. Defending national champion Texas can boast of a spotlight game with Ohio State, Oklahoma visits Oregon and Nebraska plays at Southern Cal.

But of the 48 nonconference games, that's a dieter's menu of tasty matchups.

"We've talked about it a lot and we continue to place a focus on it," Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg said. "My sense is that we've had enough discussion so that everyone is aware why it's beneficial to the conference to play quality schedules."

Strength of schedule, better selections for the Big 12's television partners and increased attendance are three benefits of tougher scheduling.

Of the six BCS conferences, the Big 12 is playing the most I-AA teams (11); only Oklahoma doesn't play a I-AA foe. Big 12 schools will pay more than $3.1 million to the I-AA schools for those "guaranteed wins." And the Big 12 has the fewest nonconference games (11) against teams from the other BCS conferences.

"We have tried to schedule all I-A opponents, but we might not be able to keep doing that because of the game guarantees some schools are asking," Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione said. "I see more I-A teams playing I-AA schools in the future. I don't think it's going in the other direction."

Comparing the nonconference schedules of the six BCS conferences isn't apples and oranges, it's a fruit basket.

The Pac-10 went to a nine-game league schedule this season so each of its teams needed three nonconference games. The eight-member Big East, with just a seven-game league schedule, needs five nonconference games to reach a dozen.

The best comparisons for the Big 12 are the ACC and the SEC, both of which have 12 teams and play eight-game league schedules. All three conferences have 48 nonconference games, but the ACC will face nine I-AA opponents and the SEC has eight matchups against I-AA teams.

Weiberg acknowledges that not all of the Big 12's members have the same scheduling advantages/disadvantages. Oklahoma State, for example, is in the midst of modernizing its stadium while trying to improve the on-field product.

With four nonconference games, it is reasonable for Big 12 schools to schedule: at least one game against a BCS opponent of equal strength; two games against teams from the upper echelon non-BCS conferences; one "guaranteed win" game against a I-AA foe.

"I've been encouraged by some of the future scheduling," Weiberg said. "I'm noticing more games inter-sectional in nature involving teams from BCS conferences. I think progress is being made."

Texas A&M starts a home-and-home series with Miami (Fla.) in 2007, Colorado has a home-and-home with Florida State, also starting next season, and Missouri has a deal to renew its rivalry against Illinois. UT has games scheduled with Arkansas and UCLA. Through 2015, Oklahoma has games scheduled with Miami (Fla.), Florida State, Washington, Notre Dame and Tennessee.

This season, the six BCS conferences average just under 15 non-league games against teams from BCS conferences. Weiberg would like the Big 12 to play 12-15 games each season against BCS teams with another 15-20 games scheduled against quality non-BCS teams.

"In a perfect world, I think you'd like to try for 30 to 35 of your 48 nonconference games to be at that level," Weiberg said.

I would like to see Auburn play more Big 12 schools. There is some history with Texas and Nebraska and others. Who here would turn down a chance to see Colorado, Missouri or Kansas St. come to Jordan-Hare.

I would like to see Auburn play more Big 12 schools. There is some history with Texas and Nebraska and others. Who here would turn down a chance to see Colorado, Missouri or Kansas St. come to Jordan-Hare.

251420[/snapback]

Since I live in Big 12 country..I can tell ya that Auburn would kill any Big 12 school other than Texas or OU...they should play Texas or OU.PERIOD.

251420[/snapback]

Since I live in Big 12 country..I can tell ya that Auburn would kill any Big 12 school other than Texas or OU...they should play Texas or OU.PERIOD.

251505[/snapback]

I would absolutely love to crush OU in regular season play. Maybe then the media would stop ranking them so favorably every year when they don't deserve it.

The best comparisons for the Big 12 are the ACC and the SEC, both of which have 12 teams and play eight-game league schedules. All three conferences have 48 nonconference games, but the ACC will face nine I-AA opponents and the SEC has eight matchups against I-AA teams.
Wait, that can't be right. The national press has been telling us for years that the SEC wimps out and doesn't play a hard enough OOC schedule. :angry:

251420[/snapback]

251505[/snapback]

I don't see any reason for us to go looking for more Top 10-15 teams to play. We already play LSU, Georgia, Arkansas, and Bama every year, with usually 1-2 of Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina. That usually guarantees us at least 2 Top-10 opponents and 4-6 Top 20 opponents every year. Let's see any of those non-SEC teams do that year in and year out.

I could see us taking on someone like Colorado or Nebraska at its current level of competition--that would attract national attention and help shut up the national OOC-naysayers. But I see no reason to add someone like a Texas to an already killer schedule. Save them for a bowl game.

We don't need any more top level opponents, we just need to strengthen the level of our bottom-end opponents. (i.e., fewer Citadels, Buffalos, Ball States, etc.)

Archived