I hate to admit it...

DKW 86

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/164032/

:au: folks are just not THIS devious....Maybe we should be? It is kind of nice in a way that this guy is so afraid of us that he would write and PUBLISH this crap.

Like it is : Johnson right guy to start against Southern Cal

Wally Hall

Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006

With Casey Dick apparently out of the picture while his back continues to heal, Houston Nutt ended the on-field quarterback controversy by naming 21-yearold Robert Johnson the starting quarterback for the season opener.

And it was downright shocking.

Not that Nutt named Johnson the starter against Southern Cal, but people’s reaction to it.

First, it has been warned many times since last February that Mitch Mustain, the 18-yearold true freshman, would need some time to adjust to college football.

Mustain, who has the tools and talent to be a great one, is in a process. A process that includes learning that the defensive backs in the SEC run 4. 4 40-yard dashes and not 4. 6 or 4. 7 like he saw in high school.

Since he’s in a learning process it would make no sense to start him against Southern Cal, which might have the best defense the Razorbacks will face all season.

Yes, he probably will play, but without the pressure of being the starter. Nutt wants his composure and confidence to grow, not get stomped on by the very quick and physical Trojans.

In the opinion of this space, USC was the beginning of the problems for Johnson last season. He spent much of the night running for his life, and the one time he was sacked was a bonecruncher.

Then the next week he faced Alabama, and the Crimson Tide kept him on his toes, too, and sacked him hard twice.

There is no doubt Johnson finished the season gamely but hurt, physically and mentally.

His favorite receiver became the sure-handed Peyton Hillis.

Yet, Johnson has had almost a year to think about what happened last season.

After he was benched for a freshman, Dick, some thought Johnson might transfer, especially after having to undergo hernia surgery not once but twice.

No, Johnson came right back, and the guy who is affectionately known by teammates as “RoJo” was in the mix from the get-go.

He’s shown the mental toughness you want in a quarterback.

Of course, the last thing he needs to hear is a chorus of boos. For that matter, none of the kids do.

Boos are like the ice some knucklehead throws on a basketball court — no eyes.

If fans think Nutt is vetoing pass plays called by Gus Malzahn — an erroneous assumption, by the way — and boo, the players don’t know they aren’t the targets for the criticism.

Understand, too, new quarterbacks coach Alex Wood has worked with quarterbacks on the college level and in the NFL.

He knows what a quarterback is supposed to do, and just before practices started, while speaking at a fund-raiser for Charles Ripley and Arkansas Baptist College, he said: “The starting quarterback will be the guy who has the respect of his teammates.”

That was before the extent of Dick’s injury was known, and it is not a knock on Mustain.

Johnson has gone to battle with and for most of these Razorbacks.

That doesn’t mean Mustain won’t play. He will. But with Johnson apparently improved, there is the luxury of not throwing Mustain in the fire.

Johnson should have gotten the nod as the starter. He’s been neck and neck for the job since the start of practices.

The advantage is his experience.

So for now, the quarterback controversy is over, at least on the field.

Oh, sure, Auburn message boards will try and make it some overt racial thing, but that’s because those fans want Kodi Burns, the Fort Smith Northside quarterback, to choose the Tigers over the Razorbacks.

The decision by Nutt and Wood was not racially motivated. There was no political correctness in it.

At this point and time, they picked the young man they thought gives them the best shot against USC.

They went with the more-experienced guy with whom the players are familiar. It is that simple.

If he choses :au: over :arky: it wont be becasue of this. But, come to mention it, has :arky: ever had a black QB?

If that writer thinks we are doing that then he is a bigger moron than I thought. Does Auburn really need a qb that would pick Ark over AU? I mean that really is a no brainer, one program has been in the top 10 over the last 5 years while the other has a finger nail biting cheerleader heading the program.

Arkansas Demo Gazette... :angry: I hate that newspaper.

Once exchanged a few emails with one of their sportswriters who was whining about getting cheated after Auburn beat them in Arkansas. Nothing vindictive, but I scored a few points with my customary blend of wit and style.

He chose to send copies of all the emails with the time stamps noted to my then-boss in an effort to get me fired. It didn't work. In fact it backfired when I informed his bosses of his snarky behavior and exceedingly thin skin. His boss claimed he was suspended for a week without pay. Who knows if it was true or not. I hope it was.

but I scored a few points with my customary blend of wit and style.

Chainsaw and bazooka? :big:

Did y'all notice this little tidbit:

Since he’s in a learning process it would make no sense to start him against Southern Cal, which might have the best defense the Razorbacks will face all season.

A PAC-10 team is the best defense they will face? Perhaps we should ask the Hog players themselves after they play Auburn, LSU, and the rest of the SEC.

What I believe is there is no way a QB is going to go to a school that just signed a top 5 QB and Parade Player of the Year!

What I believe is there is no way a QB is going to go to a school that just signed a top 5 QB and Parade Player of the Year!

Jumbo got my point. Does anyone know if :arky: has ever had a black qb? I am just curious about his now.

I can't tell you for sure if Arkansas has ever had a black QB. I don't rememebr one anytime I was around the program.

I have admit that I am a little surprised that Wally Hall said some of those things. I used to think he was a pretty good writer as far as fishwraps go. Very classless!

Jumbo got my point. Does anyone know if :arky: has ever had a black qb? I am just curious about his now.

Arkansas has had at least one black quarterback in their history. His name was Quinn Grovey. From what I remember he was a pretty good player. Here is a link and some information about him.

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&...hange_well_id=2

One of the most exciting signal callers in UA football history, Quinn Grovey led the Razorbacks to back-to-back Southwest Conference titles in 1988 and 1989. He is the only Arkansas quarterback to lead the Hogs to multiple Cotton Bowl berths. A four-year letterman from 1987 to 1990 and three-year regular, Grovey threw for 4,496 passing yards while rushing for 1,746 yards. He earned All-Southwest Conference honors in 1988 after leading the league in passing accuracy (.633). His career passing yardage total ranks sixth while his rushing yardage total ranks 16th on the school record lists. His 18 touchdown passes in 1990 and his 29 career passing scores rank third and fourth respectively, on both the season and career school record charts. A member of the Arkansas All-Century team, Grovey ranks third in Razorback history in total yards and touchdown responsibility. He still is very much part of the Razorback program, serving in his eighth year as the sideline reporter on Arkansas football radio broadcasts.

BTW, My sig is a picture of Quinn Grovey.

Did y'all notice this little tidbit:

A PAC-10 team is the best defense they will face? Perhaps we should ask the Hog players themselves after they play Auburn, LSU, and the rest of the SEC.

Thats what made me mad...

Even last year Arkansas had more luck against the Trojans defense than they did against many others in the sec.

Even last year Arkansas had more luck against the Trojans defense than they did against many others in the sec.

I don't think so. They scored 17 points against 2nd and 3rd teamers in a 70-17 loss to USC. They also scored 17 against Auburn and LSU and 20 against South Carolina.

Guest Tigrinum Major

If that writer thinks we are doing that then he is a bigger moron than I thought. Does Auburn really need a qb that would pick Ark over AU? I mean that really is a no brainer, one program has been in the top 10 over the last 5 years while the other has a finger nail biting cheerleader heading the program.

But one is located less than 10 miles from where this particular youngster attends high school. That plays a factor in it. Despite what some of you think, Arkansas is still a better program than Ole Miss and Mississippi State, in spite of the crab pinchin', draw callin', former QB whose daddy was a high profile coach that runs the program.

We signed two QBs last year, both of whom will more than likely redshirt this year. One of them was highly ranked by recruiting services. The other has shown a knack for picking up the offense this preseason. Mustain will not redshirt and could possibly be gone in three years. Your premise has no more merit than Wally Hall's.

I can't tell you for sure if Arkansas has ever had a black QB. I don't rememebr one anytime I was around the program.

I have admit that I am a little surprised that Wally Hall said some of those things. I used to think he was a pretty good writer as far as fishwraps go. Very classless!

Wally Hall is an elfish hack. At least that is what I understand from reading woopig.

I think what really played into their decision is that Johnson is bigger than Dick. Yes, this Johnson is black but it has nothing to do with race, he's just bigger and stronger than Dick.

At least Nutt seems top think so.

But one is located less than 10 miles from where this particular youngster attends high school. That plays a factor in it. Despite what some of you think, Arkansas is still a better program than Ole Miss and Mississippi State, in spite of the crab pinchin', draw callin', former QB whose daddy was a high profile coach that runs the program.

We signed two QBs last year, both of whom will more than likely redshirt this year. One of them was highly ranked by recruiting services. The other has shown a knack for picking up the offense this preseason. Mustain will not redshirt and could possibly be gone in three years. Your premise has no more merit than Wally Hall's.

Wally Hall is an elfish hack. At least that is what I understand from reading woopig.

If you dont think a recruit looks at a team's depth chart at there position before they sign with a school then you dont know as much as you think!!!!!!!!!! Brandon cox is a Junior this year when Caudle redshirts he will play as a redshirt Sophomore, you dont know that Mustain will come out early or even if he will or will not redshirt

Guest Tigrinum Major

Name your wager on whether Mustain will redshirt or not. I guarantee he will not. As far as depth charts, Caudle ans Ensminger will be redshirt freshmen when Burns is a true freshman. If he's looking at Arkansas' depth chart, he's looking at ours.

Archived