The Question We Were Afraid To Ask...

SupperClub

Before I post this, I want to ask each of you to please knock on wood, throw some salt over your shoulder, poke your Lee Corso voodoo doll, or do whatever it is you do so that you don't jinx something. Now, everyone with me at once, O N E at a time, O N E at a time. Good. Now, this question was posted on ask CFN...

Link

As a die hard Auburn fan, I fear that the nightmare could happen again. I hope and pray that OSU beats Texas simply for the fact that they actually have to play a decent schedule with potential landmines. If Texas wins, they have smooth sailing to another perfect season along with USC who plays absolutely nobody the entire year. Surely they will split up the National Championship and dismantle the BCS if this not so far fetched scenario occurs. Could they actually shut out a team who went 12-0 in the brutally difficult SEC in two of three years? I'm afraid it could happen. - Will, Auburn

A: There’s no such thing as a split national title. Either you win the BCS title, or you don’t. (I'm sure you said that to Pete Carroll after 2003) You’re dead on right in that USC, Notre Dame, Texas, and Ohio State control their own destinies, so if, say, Ohio State and Notre Dame go unbeaten, everyone else will be on the outside looking in. Since there’s a feeling that Auburn got hosed a few years ago (which it really didn’t since someone had to be left out of the mix), I think Auburn would get the benefit of the doubt if almost everything else is equal. Forget about the Tigers if, say, Texas and Notre Dame are in the mix. The public would clamor for the Longhorns to be able to defend their title (which isn’t really fair since it’s a new year with new teams), and Notre Dame is Notre Dame.

I know it's too early, we have a lot of football to be played, yada yada yada. Speaking hypothetically here, is it not scary to see someone in the media who thinks this way, especially knowing he speaks for most sportswriters not from Alabama?

As you said, it is ONE at a time. However, what are the odds of: 1) AU going undefeated in 2004 and in 2006 with a 12-game season? 2) Two other teams going undefeated? 3) Both of these happening?

A: There's no such thing as a split national title. Either you win the BCS title, or you don't. You're dead on right in that USC, Notre Dame, Texas, and Ohio State control their own destinies, so if, say, Ohio State and Notre Dame go unbeaten, everyone else will be on the outside looking in. Since there's a feeling that Auburn got hosed a few years ago (which it really didn't since someone had to be left out of the mix), I think Auburn would get the benefit of the doubt if almost everything else is equal. Forget about the Tigers if, say, Texas and Notre Dame are in the mix. The public would clamor for the Longhorns to be able to defend their title (which isn't really fair since it's a new year with new teams), and Notre Dame is Notre Dame.

How long are we gonna apologize for the sham of a championship that we have set up?

AUBURN GOT HOSED

There is no f#%$# reason why a team that goes undefeated in the S #$%# E @#^$ C should be swept under the rug like they didn't exist. The system is broken. The system HOSED Auburn in 04. Just because the system 'worked' like it was intended to, doesn't mean an injustice didn't occur.

:rant:

There is no f#%$# reason why a team that goes undefeated in the S #$%# E @#^$ C should be swept under the rug like they didn't exist.

[sarcasm]

The system is not broken. You just need to realize that (to paraphrase "Animal Farm") all BCS conferences are equal, but some are more equal than others (see the PAC 10).

The PAC 10 is the superior conference as was evidenced by Herbstreit's comments about the incredible Oregon State PAC 10 defense last night in that farce of a game with Boise St. Sorry Herbie, but when one running back has FIVE TOUCHDOWNS in a game, that defense sucks.

[/sarcasm]

If :au: goes undefeated again this year, :au: plays in the national title game. That would be 2 out of 3 seasons unbeaten--in the SEC--then add the getting hosed part, and you can't tell me we don't get in this time. Come on...that's too cruel, even for the BCS.

We're a long way off and have a ton of football left, so I'm not concerned about it right now. But, if all goes like it looks like it might, there could be 4 undefeated teams: USC, OSU/UT, AU and WVU. If all this happens then the system will be changed because all of these programs are from major BCS conferences. In 04, Utah was the other team jobbed and they don't have the clout to fight.

I am hoping that this situation comes to be, with the obvious exception that AU is in the MNC game and one of the others gets jobbed. If it happens and the SEC doesn't fight it, the whole conference should be disolved!!

11 games to go and we are already wondering what happens if:

Auburn goes undefeated

BOTH of the winners of USC/ND and Texas/OSU go undefeated. Considering two of those teams have new QBs and two of those teams are kinda sketchy on defense, the chances that both of the winners from these two games go undefeated isn't that likely.

A: There's no such thing as a split national title. Either you win the BCS title, or you don't. You're dead on right in that USC, Notre Dame, Texas, and Ohio State control their own destinies, so if, say, Ohio State and Notre Dame go unbeaten, everyone else will be on the outside looking in. Since there's a feeling that Auburn got hosed a few years ago (which it really didn't since someone had to be left out of the mix), I think Auburn would get the benefit of the doubt if almost everything else is equal. Forget about the Tigers if, say, Texas and Notre Dame are in the mix. The public would clamor for the Longhorns to be able to defend their title (which isn't really fair since it's a new year with new teams), and Notre Dame is Notre Dame.

How long are we gonna apologize for the sham of a championship that we have set up?

AUBURN GOT HOSED

There is no f#%$# reason why a team that goes undefeated in the S #$%# E @#^$ C should be swept under the rug like they didn't exist. The system is broken. The system HOSED Auburn in 04. Just because the system 'worked' like it was intended to, doesn't mean an injustice didn't occur.

:rant:

When has it worked??? It has never 'worked', which is why I suspect you put the ticks around it?? I loved how all the ESPN talking heads last year talked about how it worked, blah, blah, blah. That is only b/c there were ONLY 2 undefeated team!! Who couldn't see thru that??? Had Notre Dame gone undefeated last year, what would have happened??? I bet there would be no BCS this year, cause the powers from USC, Texas, or ND would have pitched a fit when one of them got left out.

I think it could be made to work, but when you have 5 different computer polls....each of which ranks the teams and conferences based on who knows what criteria?? How easy is it for Sagarin to go back into his "program" and fudge Michigan's (example since he is Big 10 :homer: ) SOS to inflate their score to jump an SEC team, who he consistently ranks with a lower SOS across the board!!!

What needs to happen is the NCAA should do rankings? THE MEDIA NEEDS TO BE CUT OUT OF THE EQUATION!!!

What is painfully obvious is how unimportant teams like Auburn are to the world of college football from the media and public's stance. I truly believe that there could be a Division 1A of about twenty schools and the nation wouldn't bat an eyelid. Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Miami, Florida St., Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee and a few others. Think about the last ten to fifteen years, these are the teams that the media drools over and these are the teams that the general public are most familiar with. It sucks, but the guy who wrote that article said it plain as day.

As you said, it is ONE at a time. However, what are the odds of: 1) AU going undefeated in 2004 and in 2006 with a 12-game season? 2) Two other teams going undefeated? 3) Both of these happening?

100%. Book it.

I honestly see CTT as the kinda guy that would step out and really challenge the higher-ups in the NZAA about having a playoff. He seems bold enough, and I think it'd be great for college football.

Our system now is pure bunk. Let's have a playoff to determine a TRUE national champion and get rid of all this BcS crap. Things haven't gotten an ounce better since Nebraska & Michigan shared all the marbles back in '97.

The system is not broken. It is fatally flawed. Anyone that believes the BCS can fairly select two teams to play one game for the national title is deluding themselves. Every year the BCS formula has been "tweaked" is evidence of that. The 2004 season with five undefeateds at the end of the year was the definitive proof. Stop with the polls and computer rankings nonsense. The answer is not "more reputable" polls nor "better" algorithyms for the computers. The answer lies in what we all know will work: a playoff between the conference winners.

Stop worrying about the BCS screwing over AU. Unless & until a playoff is implemented, it's a given at least one school will be screwed over.

I don't even care if we get left out again this year. Maybe that will end the BCS once and for all. There never has been a NC in college football and there never will be until there is some type of play-off. I'll be happy with 14-0 and a 5th straigh state championship, a 2nd SECC in 3 years. Everything else is mythical.

In 1957, the coach of of one loss Ohio State team asked of a great undefeated Auburn "Who have they played?" and was awarded the UPI national championship. In 2004, an undefeated Auburn team, the winner of the best football confernce in the United States was not allowed to compete in the so called BCS Championship game in which an undefeated and not great Oklahoma team was embarresed by the Univeristy of Southern California.

I have watched this crap for years. The media bias against the south is what drives the polls. We are not in a large population center as is Texas, USC, Ohio State, or Notre Dame. The eastern press, the upper midwestern press and the west coast press hate the South. We have to be not just better, but significantly better than those teams to be considered equal. If Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas, or USC go undefeated in lesser conferences, it will mean nothing to those igonorant sports writers who hate our region.

I witnessed, on television, a press conference by Bo Schembechler of Michigan before the Sugar Bowl with Auburn in 1983. He informed those reporters who were concerned about a potentially low scoring game, that the southern football fan understood defensive football. In fact, the southern football fan knew more about football than any sports writer in the room.

Sorry for the long rant, but we are not going to get a break or any sympathy from any poll voters. They are regional not national and they do not like us. Anybody that thinks the PAC 10 is a good football conference is smoking dope or is football ignorant. Take your choice.

Archived