Auburn-LSU Rivalry Needs a Nickname

DCWarEagle

I think we all agree that over the last fifteen or twenty years, the Auburn-LSU game has become huge b/c of the importance to the SEC West. And goodness knows there have been a lot of crazy games (Earthquakes, Fires, Comebacks, Cigars, Fights w/ the Band, Extra Points, etc).

But I think it is not quite a top-shelf rivalry until we come up w/ some clever nickname so all the talking heads can refer to it and everyone knows what they mean (like the Iron Bowl, World's Largest Cocktail Party, Third Saturday in October, Deep South's Oldest Rivalry, Red River Rivalry, Backyard Brawl, Civil War, etc. shoot even the Egg Bowl has a nickname).

So any suggestions? It's tough b/c it is not an inter-state rivalry (and our states aren't even adjacent).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tigrinum Major

Sounds too much like two Texas teams playing out in the desert of the Southwest.

You can't force these things. Example, when I say Battle for the Boot, how many of you know what I am talking about?

Sounds too much like two Texas teams playing out in the desert of the Southwest.

You can't force these things. Example, when I say Battle for the Boot, how many of you know what I am talking about?

Battle for the boot is Arkansas-LSU (b/c the two states on top of each other are shaped like a boot). But your point is well-taken.

I will note that it is a little more "real" when the fans (i.e. us) come up w/ a name than when the SEC just makes it up...AND we have more of a history than LSU and Arkansas...still you are right you can't force it...

Aww hell, let's force it anyway.

The Barn Burner Bowl

The Good Kitty/Toonce Kitty Bowl

The Purple and Gold Sux but Orange and Blue Rules Bowl

The CDNE Bowl (Corn Dog Nutria Eater)

Just a few to get you folks started :P:poke:

Started this topic on another board... got these:

Hell on Earth

Blood Bath

King of the Jungle

l personally like Hell on Earth, but don't know if the "Hell" would be acceptable

"Tiger Bowl" Sheesh, what kind of name is that? I mean, no one would just up and call it the Tiger Bowl...it's...it's.....PERFECT!!! :cheer::thumbsup:

Ditto......I think its "Official"!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!! BEAT LSU!!!

Well I like the West appeal:

The Shootout

The Gunfight

Maybe the Tiger aspect:

Rumble in the Jungle

The Catfight

Tiger Bowl?

SEC West Bowl

Best in the West Bowl

THE Rivalry Bowl

The New Rivalry Bowl

The Great Rivalry Bowl

The Peachtree Bowl (Winner goes to Atlanta)

All in all, I think the :lsu: fans need to name this one.

We have the "Oldest Rivalry in the South" with :uga:

We have the "Iron Bowl" with :ua:

Since this is really shaping up to be their bigger rivalry game, they should name the thing, JMHO.

I liked David's suggestion of The Shootout.

It implies both "How the West Was Won" and the fact that the winner is either left a hero, or dead where they stand.

(Got jinxed here. Should have just given David a few more seconds to defend it himself)

i like the tiger bowl and dkw's suggestion the peachtree bowl but i think that gives our less fortunate friends up the road (UAT) something else to complain about beside their offense.

hmmm how about the cigar bowl, violent tuba player bowl? rock the bus bowl?

Archived