Auburn-LSU Rivalry Needs a Nickname

DCWarEagle

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not keep it simple.

The Tiger Bowl.

That's it. My thoughts exactly, right up there next to the Iron Bowl.

I vote Tiger Bowl. We can really call it the SEC West championship but your friends up in Tuscaloser might get upset.

Thinking "outside the box" <_< , some tangible item needs to be attached to this series (like the Old Oaken Bucket I think Wisconsin & Minn. play for or an ax, like a couple other teams play for every year). A 2 foot steel trap called the "cat trap" could go to the winning team until they lose.

The "Safari Bowl" is better than the Tiger Bowl (snooze).

How about a shifting name, depending on where we play...

______ on the Plains vs. _______ in the Valley

Wouldn't Battle in the Bayou be appropriate for the game in Baton Rouge? And since Tuberville tried to get JH nicknamed "The Jungle" a few years ago, Rumble in the Jungle might work there...

I think we all agree that over the last fifteen or twenty years, the Auburn-LSU game has become huge b/c of the importance to the SEC West. And goodness knows there have been a lot of crazy games (Earthquakes, Fires, Comebacks, Cigars, Fights w/ the Band, Extra Points, etc).

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm still pretty new to AU-

I am familiar with the earthquake, comebacks, cigars and extra points, but what is the 'fires' and 'fights with the band?'

Wouldn't Battle in the Bayou be appropriate for the game in Baton Rouge? And since Tuberville tried to get JH nicknamed "The Jungle" a few years ago, Rumble in the Jungle might work there...

Grambling/Southern already have the Bayou Classic...

Grambling/Southern already have the Bayou Classic...

C'mon man...you going to let Southern have all the rights to "bayou?"

fire = 1996 game @ Auburn...the old basketball arena (women's gymnastics used it for practice when I was there) caught fire during the game...whole thing went up.

fights w/band was (I think) 2001...I think it had something to do with Damon Duval doing his warmup kicking and getting mixed up with the band. Someone else might have more insight, though.

I think we all agree that over the last fifteen or twenty years, the Auburn-LSU game has become huge b/c of the importance to the SEC West. And goodness knows there have been a lot of crazy games (Earthquakes, Fires, Comebacks, Cigars, Fights w/ the Band, Extra Points, etc).

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm still pretty new to AU-

I am familiar with the earthquake, comebacks, cigars and extra points, but what is the 'fires' and 'fights with the band?'

HlSTORY

HlSTORY Pt 2

The ones l remember are:

Earthquake

4 lnt Game

Barn burner

Cigars

Band Fight

Stomp on the Eye / Onside Kick

Phantom Penalty

DOlNK!

alot of memories

The ones l remember are:

Earthquake

4 lnt Game

Barn burner

Cigars

Band Fight

Phantom Penalty

DOlNK!

alot of memories

Phantom penalty? <_< Wasn't Saban on the committee that voted that rule into the book?

The ones l remember are:

Earthquake

4 lnt Game

Barn burner

Cigars

Band Fight

Phantom Penalty

DOlNK!

alot of memories

Phantom penalty? <_< Wasn't Saban on the committee that voted that rule into the book?

How many times have you seen it called since? How many times did you see a similar play go uncalled? Thats why it is the "phantom" penalty.

The ones l remember are:

Earthquake

4 lnt Game

Barn burner

Cigars

Band Fight

Phantom Penalty

DOlNK!

alot of memories

How many times have you seen it called since? How many times did you see a similar play go uncalled? Thats why it is the "phantom" penalty.

To me, phantom implies that it wasn't there. I have the game on DVD, so maybe I'll go take a look and see exactly what happened and get back to you.

I've not kept a log of how many times I have seen the penalty called...hasn't been many times that I can remember off the top of my head, though. However, this doesn't mean that it's not in the rule book and that it doesn't happen. How many times have you seen defensive holding called on a PAT? - not many, but it's still the rule and it has happened at some point.

Honestly, it probably wouldn't matter as much if LSU hadn't missed the extra point at the beginning of the game. Poor kicker was all shaken up after having to watch Oregon State's kicker miss 3 in one game earlier that fall when LSU tried to lose that game at home.

Archived