Auburn-LSU Rivalry Needs a Nickname

DCWarEagle

Always better to be lucky than good right?

l'll take luck over skill 9 out of 10 times.

That 10th time better be against Tiger Woods...he's either really good, or the luckiest guy ever.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few

"Earn your stripes bowl"

Or Battle of the stripes. or

The Tiger pit.

I also like the Tiger bowl but maybe a subtitle Battle for the stripes. :)

Well, Bruce Feldman has given us a name for this weekend's game:

The Irons Bowl. http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index..._bruce#20060912

To name this game after a single player, to me, is retarded. Even if Irons has a huge game, his team will have had some effect on that. Single him out as a playmaker, but he's not the only one on the team.

It offends me, and it should offend Auburn fans too- he's excluding the other 21 great starters on your team. Email Brucie and raise some hell, please.

The first thing I thought when I saw the topic was "The Tiger Bowl". I see that many thought the same thing. It is simple, neutral to both schools, and it just makes too much sense. Nobody has to guess the meaning of it. Even now, outsiders may not know why the Iron Bowl is called what it is. Heck, there may be some younger AU or UAT fans that don't know why it is called the Iron Bowl.

Another one that comes to mind is "The Cat Fight", but them that sounds like two girls fighting, so that is a no-go.

I also like "Rumble in the Jungle", but that kind of leans towards us because of our nickname of JHS now.

How about "The Teeth of the Tigers Bowl"? :big:

Again, The Tiger Bowl is probably the best one.

Well, Bruce Feldman has given us a name for this weekend's game:

The Irons Bowl. http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index..._bruce#20060912

To name this game after a single player, to me, is retarded. Even if Irons has a huge game, his team will have had some effect on that. Single him out as a playmaker, but he's not the only one on the team.

It offends me, and it should offend Auburn fans too- he's excluding the other 21 great starters on your team. Email Brucie and raise some hell, please.

:puke:

How about

The Great Tiger Bowl

The Great Tiger Shootout.

The War of the Tigers

Fight of the Tigers (Sounds like 'Eye of the Tigers')

King of the Tigers Bowl

TVT (Tigers versus Tigers) Bowl

I vote Tiger Bowl. We can really call it the SEC West championship but your friends up in Tuscaloser might get upset.

To hell with them. No one cares what bammer fans think anyway.

How about a shifting name, depending on where we play...

______ on the Plains vs. _______ in the Valley

Too complicated.

I say Tiger Bowl.

Hand something like this out to the winner after the game.

orangetiger_small.jpg

Gulf Storm

Storm Bowl

Clash of the Coastal Colossals

Catscratch Bowl

The Grudge Bowl

Big Cat Brawl

SEC West Division Championship Bowl

King of the Gulf Bowl

I think "The Grudge Bowl" would fit nicely with history and not be so benign as "The Tiger Bowl."

The ones l remember are:

Earthquake

4 lnt Game

Barn burner

Cigars

Band Fight

Stomp on the Eye / Onside Kick

Phantom Penalty

DOlNK!

alot of memories

Phantom penalty? <_< Wasn't Saban on the committee that voted that rule into the book?

How many times have you seen it called since? How many times did you see a similar play go uncalled? Thats why it is the "phantom" penalty.

Don't get it........ no matter how many times its called or not called the infraction had physical reality. Thus it can not be a phantom call. Now the 15 yard Facemask that was called on a failed 3rd down LSU conversion away from the ball that pushed them into FG range, that was a phantom call.

I'll give you the one point back due to a call and take the 3 back that you got from a call. 9-6 Auburn wins.

The ones l remember are:

Earthquake

4 lnt Game

Barn burner

Cigars

Band Fight-Stomp on the Eye / Onside Kick-Same game

Phantom Penalty LSU Crybaby Game

DOlNK!

alot of memories

You also forgot...

...The Phantom Whistle (Dameyune Craig pulls up because a whistle blew. LSU defender sacks him in the endzone for a safety. Auburn loses by ONE (I think).)

My 2 cents: I think the name should have some meaning behind it, besides Mascot vs mascot. To me the LSU game has most often been the game i really find out what kind of team we have that certain year. It's usually the first real test. I need help to tweak the names as they are off the top of my head, but:

-"Prove It" 2006 ('07,'08,'09 etc)

-The Measuring Stick

-The Weigh In

And if you still like Tiger Fight, I like "The Tiger Bout" better (kinda like The Title Bout)

Here's a few

"Earn your stripes bowl"

Or Battle of the stripes. or

The Tiger pit.

I also like the Tiger bowl but maybe a subtitle Battle for the stripes. :)

I like ProgRock's suggestion, minus the Tiger Bowl. How about just "Battle of the Stripes"?

To be honest, Tiger Bowl is a little too generic for me.

AURainman, The phantom whistle was in the Earthquake game. It's conveniently forgotten.

I still won't call it a rivalry, even if it has been the most important game of the year in the SEC West the past few years. It just doesn't have that rivalry feel to me. Maybe there hasn't been enough time for it to develop. I'm more old school and still consider Tennessee a big rival.

But as KTeamLSU pointed out, there are a lot of memories associated with this game.

Considering these are becoming legend you have to admit it is a special game. To me there has always been some sort of voodoo or black magic auroa to it. Look at what's happened:

Earthquake - This is how it's known to LSU fans- To Auburn fans, it was the phantom whistle game

4 lnt Game - Fans of both want to know why LSU kept throwing late in the game.

Barn burner - Watching on TV and seeing the flames rising behind the student section was sight I'll never forget.

Cigars - LSU fans will never forget this; Auburn fans say it's overblown.

Band Fight - LSU fans say their band was 'attacked'; Auburn fans say we weren't given time to warm up after half time.

Stomp on the Eye / Onside Kick - This would seem more offensive than cigars to me, but it's hardly mentioned by LSU fans. Reviewing the video, it looks like Auburn was near the logo not on it, but thanks to Jackie Sherrill, the refs were watching this very closley after 1998.

Phantom Penalty - LSU fans say it was an eroneous flag; Auburn fans and the SEC board of officals say otherwise.

DOlNK! - I'm not sure about this one, it must be a reference to last years game. But I think it refers to the 4 int game mentioned above. The LSU coach must have had some head injury prior to the game that day.

I think the name needs to capture the mystique that seems to go with it. But for now, September Classic and Tiger Bowl are the best that I've seen.

Archived