Terrell Owens attempts suicide

MDM4AU

No link yet but FoxNews is reporting TO being in the hospital for what was first reported to be an allergic reaction to pain medication. Now the report is that he told police or doctors that he was attempting suicide. I can't find a link yet, if someone can help out that has heard this as well.

Glenn Beck reporting it just now as well citing a Dallas news station.

****NOTHING CONFIRMED****

Yeah, I just saw that also on Fox News and was looking for a link to post it, but all I can find is articles saying he went to the hospital for an allergic reaction to pain medicine he was taking for his broken hand. Fox is saying this breaking news, so they may have just gotten info that nobody else knows about yet.

I think they are stretching on this one. This article says they were trying to induce vomiting....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604395

Not all that uncommon of a thing from what I am told.

Besides, T.O. loves himself WAY too much!

WFAA in Dallas cites a link to a Dallas police report saying suicide attempt

Link

When I heard this last night (I work third) it didn't make sense. You don't induce vomitting if you are having an allegic reaction because the medication has already been absorbed. You induce vomitting when a *large* quantity of a medication is taken to try to minimize absorption of what remains.

I was still surprised at induction of vomitting instead of gastric lavage (stomach pumping). I assume the "pain killers" are Vicodin, Percocet, or something similar which can cause respiratory depression and increasing the chance of aspirating gastric contents into the lungs - a bad thing. Someone currently involved with acute care might make comment on this.

None-the-less I'll be interested in the actual truth if it ever emerges.

Guest Tigrinum Major

While I don't know the particulars of the whole thing, I don't doubt that Ownes might have done this for a little attention. He doesn't care about good or bad publicity, just publicity.

I don't know what kind of childhood he had, but using my shadetree pyschology degree, I think he might have been neglected as achild and cannot handle the attention that he craves, and is receiving, now.

On a sidenote, where are the hippa laws in this case?

While I don't know the particulars of the whole thing, I don't doubt that Ownes might have done this for a little attention. He doesn't care about good or bad publicity, just publicity.

I don't know what kind of childhood he had, but using my shadetree pyschology degree, I think he might have been neglected as achild and cannot handle the attention that he craves, and is receiving, now.

Perhaps his hand injury is worse than originally disclosed.

i may get blasted for this but given his past record who's to say you're wrong. This could be an attempt to generate public sympathy for himself. I hope i'm wrong. But look at the bigger picture, if he did attempt suicide, he won't be playing this year, he'll have to go to court and probably spend time in an institution. Oh and this is all over espn.com now.

If the notes were included in a police report, then it's public info.

There's that law degree working its way through!

If the notes were included in a police report, then it's public info.

There's that law degree working its way through!

Good thing I paid all that money so that I can educate the masses on a football message board.

This has the report in it

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0927061owens1.html

I read that some folks may think he's an untreated manic-depressive. That may explain his insane behavior. Anyone who works out in his front lawn while being interviewed by reporters in front of his mall...er house, has something wrong with them.

i don't care if it was a cry for help, a plea for public affection, or a weak moment... the guy tried to kill himself. i'm just gonna pray for him, and hope that the 'boys get him the best psych help money can buy. jerk or no, this is really sad.

Things I Care About, In Order

By Otter

1. My family

2. My church.

3. My country.

4. My friends and neighbors.

5. Auburn football (Actually, a close tie for #3).

6. Great books.

7. Great music.

8. My investments.

9. How expensive my kitchen renovation is going to be.

10. My upcoming client meeting at 2 p.m.

11. My upcoming sailing lessons in October.

12. Scheduling an oil change.

13. The funny noise my pipes are now making after the plumber allegedly "fixed" the upstairs shower.

[Let's move down the list, shall we?]

725. Did Lee Harvey Oswald act alone?

726. Is Certs really a breath mint or a candy mint?

727. When will Brittany Spears finally spin out of control and become just another sad and cautionary tale about the excesses of fame?

[And finally...]

5671. T.O.'s suicide attempt.

5672. Who will win the next American Idol?

In short, who cares? The man has millions of dollars. He has been pampered from the time people realized that he could play football. And he, and other lamebrains such as Maurice Clarett, willfully fling away what other people can only dream of having.

If you have pity in life, save it for those who are deserving of it. A child dying of cancer and his stricken parents. Refugees in the Sudan. The poor. The lonely. The ones who are incapacitated by disease and mental illness.

But this guy? A spoiled prima donna? You have to be kidding me.

Things I Care About, In Order

By Otter

1. My family

2. My church.

3. My country.

4. My friends and neighbors.

5. Auburn football (Actually, a close tie for #3).

6. Great books.

7. Great music.

8. My investments.

9. How expensive my kitchen renovation is going to be.

10. My upcoming client meeting at 2 p.m.

11. My upcoming sailing lessons in October.

12. Scheduling an oil change.

13. The funny noise my pipes are now making after the plumber allegedly "fixed" the upstairs shower.

[Let's move down the list, shall we?]

725. Did Lee Harvey Oswald act alone?

726. Is Certs really a breath mint or a candy mint?

727. When will Brittany Spears finally spin out of control and become just another sad and cautionary tale about the excesses of fame?

[And finally...]

5671. T.O.'s suicide attempt.

5672. Who will win the next American Idol?

In short, who cares? The man has millions of dollars. He has been pampered from the time people realized that he could play football. And he, and other lamebrains such as Maurice Clarett, willfully fling away what other people can only dream of having.

If you have pity in life, save it for those who are deserving of it. A child dying of cancer and his stricken parents. Refugees in the Sudan. The poor. The lonely. The ones who are incapacitated by disease and mental illness.

But this guy? A spoiled prima donna? You have to be kidding me.

This needs to go straight to the Classics Forum!!!!

While I agree with otter about it to a certain extent, I've always been of the mindset that it's just a sad situation how anyone can get so low as to talk themselves into even attempting to take their own lives. Truly a sad situation.

This is another reason why ESPN sucks. They have spent so much time talking about this guy for the last several years. Talking about what kind of person, teammate, player that he is. If not for ESPN (and other media outlets) there wouldn't be a story about him everyday. Don't even take the whole "money is happiness" argument. That is not true. It can help to make for a better life but it doesn't make you happy. This guy thinks that everyone hates him because he is the bad guy. Yes he brings a lot of it on himself, but not all of it. He doesn't call up ESPN and get them to come to his house and tape him. He played for the media, only because they gave him the time of day. I've never like him. Why??? because of all the crap I hear about him on ESPN. It's not like he gets in trouble with the law. He's not a bad person. He's cocky, but he has a right to be. He's just not a good teammate. So yes, I do feel bad for the guy.

otterinbham...money does not = happiness. You don't have to feel sorry for him, but he obviously feels sorry about himself. This is a terrible situation for one of the better football players out there. I know he has never really been a team player, but no one deserves to feel that bad about themselves. Rich or poor. Sick or healthy. He is not a bad guy, just has a very bad rep.

Archived