Terrell Owens attempts suicide

MDM4AU

otterinbham...money does not = happiness. You don't have to feel sorry for him, but he obviously feels sorry about himself. This is a terrible situation for one of the better football players out there. I know he has never really been a team player, but no one deserves to feel that bad about themselves. Rich or poor. Sick or healthy. He is not a bad guy, just has a very bad rep.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

I quote Mae West: "Anybody who says money doesn't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop."

All joking aside, the man has been nothing but a self-centered nitwit his entire life. I've known people to kill themselves and they were, without exception, self-centered people who didn't care about the impact it would have on those around them.

Again, your life is the greatest gift you have. Sheer consciousness is an amazing thing. And the fact that this fool so trivializes it is cause for scorn, not sympathy.

If you're dying of Alzheimer's, that's one thing. You are trying to spare your family an excruciating ordeal. But to try to kill yourself at the peak of health, wealth, etc. etc. just means the guy is untethered to reality. Not mentally ill, mind you. Just so utterly self-absorbed that he cannot imagine the gifts he has been given in life.

Sometimes, we wish it were otherwise...but..., WE are our brother's keepers.

I ask that all that will join me in lifting up this soul in prayer.

otterinbham...money does not = happiness. You don't have to feel sorry for him, but he obviously feels sorry about himself. This is a terrible situation for one of the better football players out there. I know he has never really been a team player, but no one deserves to feel that bad about themselves. Rich or poor. Sick or healthy. He is not a bad guy, just has a very bad rep.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

I quote Mae West: "Anybody who says money doesn't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop."

All joking aside, the man has been nothing but a self-centered nitwit his entire life. I've known people to kill themselves and they were, without exception, self-centered people who didn't care about the impact it would have on those around them.

Again, your life is the greatest gift you have. Sheer consciousness is an amazing thing. And the fact that this fool so trivializes it is cause for scorn, not sympathy.

If you're dying of Alzheimer's, that's one thing. You are trying to spare your family an excruciating ordeal. But to try to kill yourself at the peak of health, wealth, etc. etc. just means the guy is untethered to reality. Not mentally ill, mind you. Just so utterly self-absorbed that he cannot imagine the gifts he has been given in life.

I really can't believe I'm reading this. Do you know the man? How do you know he's been self-centered his whole life? How do you know there's not something mentally wrong with him? I think there has to be something mentally wrong when this is attempted.

This happens a lot to celebrities. They don't have normal lives because people are constantly bothering them. They can't cook a meal without it being reported in the morning newspaper. They are criticized for everything they do or don't do. Yes he has been given a lot because of his talent, but if like you say "life is the greatest gift you have" then the other things don't really matter that much. You may be blinded my his money and fame, but that doesn't mean everythings alright in his life.

Sorry, all you have to do is see the guy's public antics to know that we have a first-class idiot on our hands. Period.

And I think AU! has a great theory, namely that this is just another publicity stunt cooked up by the guy to keep his name in the limelight.

I bet Bill Parcells is wondering what the hell he was thinking when T.O. was brought to Dallas.

I would also argue that people like AUHansel are playing right into his hands. "Oh, poor T.O. He's obviously trouble. Has a tortured soul. I feel so sorrrrryyyyy for him."

Well to hell with that. This guy has had every advantage in life handed to him. I don't feel sorry for him at all.

It's like those lottery winners who, five years later, have miserable lives and kill themselves. Well, it's the lives they chose to live that made them miserable. Not anything the world has done to them.

My only opinion on the issue is that I don't care enough that it should be the only subject disussed on ESPN and the duece all day long.

It is worthy of reporting. And then moving on.

It should have been reported something like this:

"T.O. tried to kill himself today. He attempted to OD on painkillers. And in baseball news..."

Terrell Owens a.k.a. T.O. is a small blip on the screen of life. Most of his actions are designed to bring attention to himself at the expense of his teammates. He may have mental issues but most likely this was a attempt to draw attention to himself. Kind of like carring a sharpie in your uniform, showing up for practice weeks late in a ugly tour de France uniform or saying you are better than Jerry Rice.

I would rather have one Jerry Rice than two T.O.'s. If Terrell ever grows up and start respecting his TEAM then he can compare himself to the Jerry Rice's of the world.

If he did in fact try to kill himself then he needs to be put into a hospital and given help. If this was for publicity he needs to be sent to the World Football league.

Did you know that T.O. is from Alexander City, Alabama? I heard that today on ESPN. Did he grow up an Auburn fan? Why didn't Auburn offer him a scholarship? The guy obviously has a ton of talent so I find it hard to believe that noone noticed him during his highschool days. On another note, T.O. has some personal issues going on and I believe he and the Dallas organization are trying to cover it up. If he is mentally unstable then I don't believe it needs to be broadcast all over the news 24-7 as that is a very personal subject. Who knows? The facts fom this weird sequence of events will likely never be fully uncovered or made public. If he really is mentally ill, then I really am concerned for him.

Did you know that T.O. is from Alexander City, Alabama? I heard that today on ESPN. Did he grow up an Auburn fan? Why didn't Auburn offer him a scholarship? The guy obviously has a ton of talent so I find it hard to believe that noone noticed him during his highschool days. On another note, T.O. has some personal issues going on and I believe he and the Dallas organization are trying to cover it up. If he is mentally unstable then I don't believe it needs to be broadcast all over the news 24-7 as that is a very personal subject. Who knows? The facts fom this weird sequence of events will likely never be fully uncovered or made public. If he really is mentally ill, then I really am concerned for him.

Only one school offered scholarship for him to play- UT Chattanooga.

otter, you don't know him. don't say he's been a certain thing "his whole life." you have no idea, and actually, i find it very hard to believe that terrell owens was "T.O." when he was being offered a spot to walk on at D-I schools. i find it hard to believe that he really thought he was the center of the universe (as he did in philly) while living in alex city. you didn't know him. don't act like you did.

second, we're just going to have to agree to disagree about whether suicide is a sad thing. i find it extremely sad that people continually search for happiness from the outside OR from the inside... it should come from above. when we lose sight of that or don't have that, it's terribly sad to me, and anyone that attempts suicide has lost sight of that. if he really did attempt it (saw where that's in question still), i find it very sad, and i'm praying for him.

i'm assuming you've never had a close friend commit suicide. that changed my entire mindset. it is selfish. it isn't as "unfair" as a disease you can't control. but it is terribly heartbreaking to look back on.

Archived