Some thoughts on the SC experience

CircleDrill

Stadium:

I thought their stadium was quite nice. I was in the Auburn section that was in the endzone upper deck and we could see all the field OK except for the endzone that was right under us, which we could only see about the front 3 fee of it. We could not even see the cross bar of the goalposts. The jumbo tron they had was in the far endzone and you really needed binoculars to see anything on it because it was kind of small.

Overall the stadium was nice and clean and I thought the concessions and restrooms were very efficient and quick. I was really kind of shocked at how LOUD they were! That place was way louder than I expected and their student section was great. They were into the game the whole time, jumping and yelling and going crazy. It looked like a basketball game when a guy is trying to shoot free-throws and people are trying to mess him up by jumping and acting crazy.

Parking:

Parking was weird. To get anywhere even close to the stadium was like $25 to park, and even that was a good 15-20 minute hike to the stadium. It felt more like going to an NFL game than a college game in that respect.

Fans:

Their fans were great overall. Did not encounter very many rude ones, but not very many people talked to us either. What was weird was that there was a whole lot more trash talking to us on the way back to the truck after the game. They were chanting over-rated, and "you better watch out for Florida" etc. Nothing overly harsh. We just took it but when we got back to the truck I thought "That is the first time I have ever been trash talked by a team that just lost."

Overall:

Overall I think South Carolina is set up very well for some things to happen. It is obvious they have great support as they have a first class facility sold out on a Thursday night. I was glad to make the trip as that now means that I have been to all the SEC stadiums except Kentucky.

I wish them the best of luck for the remainder of the season.

i disagree on the first class facility. i never saw anything that even resembled a campus and thought the tailgating was really weird. the fans were good, but the ones around where we were (down by hte band) reminded me of bammers. the place just looked run down on the concourses and restrooms.. i guess i'm just used to JHS...

but they were really loud and i was impressed by their dedication to their team even though they were losing.

i don't think i'll be making this trip again any time soon though

The stadium is in a sort of downtown area, away from the campus. It is not on campus, which is why (to me) it felt more like going to a pro game.

We had no problems with any of the fans. Parking was horrible. $20 to park about 4 blocks away, in b/t 2 warehouses!! I guess the tailgating went on inside the "fairgrounds"?? Because elsewhere it seemed gind of nothing. We got there basically in time to walk in the stadium, which looks cool from outside. Small restrooms in upper deck, even for men. Nice ribbon boards all around. Not nearly as loud as Jordan-Hare Stadium, IMO.

(Auburn fan living in the NC mountains) My wife and I went to the game and it's a good thing we won, because otherwise the trip would have been a disaster. We had to get our tickets there and the first pair we bought we bogus. We took them to the gate ahead of time because we were suspicious and they scanned them and told us they were duplicates and that the tickets had already been scanned. The "ticket police" said they couldn't do anything about it even though someone was inside the stadium, possibly in those seats, that was connected to the scam. I thought they should have at least gone there and questioned them, how else you gonna deter stuff like this? So we bought a couple more.

After the game we heard alot of the trash talking on the way back to the car. Actually, heard a lot of it from the preppy guy next to me during the game, "Stop Irons, they can't throw it", what Auburn games has he been watching? Making jokes about us being #2, I said, #1 after this weekend (go Iowa).

Anyway we get back to the car and our AU flags have been snapped off. Sure we should have put them in the car, but we had noticed that everyone was leaving them on there car and didn't worry about it. Then we looked around and all the AU flags on all the vehicles in our immediate area had been snapped off.

Columbia, a great place to raise your kids.

I had a good time. Tailgating was pretty weird. Pretty hard to have a large tailgate there. They have about a billion train tracks around the stadium area. Their fans got pretty loud at times. They were all very nice, at least the people I did get to talk to.

It's danged impossible to get anywhere inside the stadium. To access one side of the stadium from another, you had to go up a concourse at the end of one side of the stands, get to the top of the concourse, walk back down stairs all the way to ground floor, then over the endzone stands, up the concourse, down the stairs .. also, the only exit for the lower decks were on ground level, so yoy couldn't exit out and up and there was major clogging.

It reminded me why I always seem to root for Clemson in the Palmetto State game.

We got there with 4 hours to spare and it was the most awful gameday experience i have ever had. There was nothing to do...nothing to see....paid $20 to park.....we had great seats on the 45 yard line underneath the pressbox so we never got wet.....but other than that i would never go back....

...on a scale of 1 to 10.

stadium--6

fans--8

mscot--6 (what the heck is a gamecock, and i bet the gamecock chear gets a lot giggles from a drunk co-ed)

tailgating experience--5

gameday environment--4 (felt like i was at a fairground...hey i was)

big sreen--4 (however they did show replays on every play)

women--5

overall--5 to 6 max

i sat in section 502, row 42 seat 18.

For the record... the minitron (def. not jumbo) is a temporary fix until the new one is installed next season. MUCH MUCH BIGGER. The one seen at the game Thurs nite will be sent to the new baseball stadium we are building.

The campus being in the city does lose the traditional downsouth green grass and maple tree feel... I'll give ya that. The stadium is off to itself too, but I don't believe we have the capability of moving it so I guess it'll have to stay put.

I myself have never had a bad tailgating experience in Columbia being a :usc: fan since I guess it's the one I've grown up to know. Gimme a grill, a cooler, and a TV and I'm pretty much good to go.

I actually go to the game FOR the game.

That being said... obnoxious fans that talk trash and actually deface opposing teams property (the car flags) is just ridiculous. I apologize for their ignorant and immature actions.

SS is making strides to better the gameday experience and I'm sure when our matchups resume, there will be a much different "feel" around the stadium before and after the games.

I hate that some of you didn't enjoy what some of us around here actually live to be a part of.

Again... congratulations and go win em all.

Thank You Spitcup, for your, what I believe to be sincere, apology for your fellow fans.

After we left, my wife had to pee, but she held it and said "just get me away from this town". So we headed up I=26 aways and we got off there were a couple of USC fans that we talked to who also expressed their regret. For us, that means alot.

The stadium was not what I remembered at all. We were in section 507, about 3 rows from the top. It was dark (we were above the lights), rainy, cold and the restroom facilities were pitiful. They even had porta-potties in the stadium. It looked like it was not completed - maybe it isn't. From our vantage point you could not see the mini-tron and it was difficult to even see the field! We were among great AU folks, and most of the USC people were very nice BEFORE the game. A little angry afterwards. I thought all the signs declaring the stadium a "smoke-free facility" was a joke. People were smoking in the stands and in the concorse leaning next to "no smoking" signs. It took forever to get out and fortunately, we could stay at our daughters house. USC is in the middle of downtown Columbia, that's just the way it is. The stadium looks better from the outside than the inside. I will give their fans a lot of credit! They were rabid and really yelled. When they started stomping, the stadium was moving where we were. Glad we won. Glad they are off the schedule.

My experience was a little different than most of yours. We found a decent place to park in an industrial park area about 1/3 mile from stadium for $10. I park further away at JH but for free. The usc people parked next to us were very nice. Most all sc fans stated that they hoped we would take it easy on them. The parking at the stadium was unbelievable. Cars were able to park within 25 feet of the gates which made it hard to get around after the game. It was strange to see cars parked and people tailgating within feet of the gates. Not much to do if you get to the game early. Agree with comments on "mini" jumbotron - had to watch replays with binoculars. Croud was pretty loud in our section - don't remember section but was in upper deck on press box side next to the AU upper deck section which was over the endzone. Got tired of hearing "another gamecock FIRST DOWNNNNNNNN !!!!!!" but that was AU's fault. After the game almost all the sc fans we heard were very satisfied with the close game - they seem to be into this moral victory mood like some other teams we know. On Friday, I learned from some Clemson fans that this mood is norman since sc hasn't had many real victories in the past 5 years. But this is changing with CSS. Overall, a good experience - but all AU victories are good experiencies.

I met up with Tigerem Major and Captin Liger before the game. We liked to have never found each other. Then trying to find our seats was about imposible. The inside concorse was so small it was hard to get around. The Major lead us right though the student section but with out incident. Before the game we bought a Gamecock (chicken) at Bernie's and found a $10 parking place beside a warehouse. We set up our table and chairs to eat and we were the only ones tailgating in our area. Some were eating in the cars. After the game all of the exits out of the stadium were clogged with people and cars, and we had to walk back in the street. But over all a good experiance.

Here's my take on Willie B and their "fans"................

Willie B is ok, but the area it's in and the campus (if you can call it that) is aweful.

The fans, well.............................a cross between Bammers and corndogs. A few nice ones in the mix, but most of them are sub-class. It does not shock me to know that some of the fans were talking trash after losing a game. It's par for the course down there. They live in a mythical world of GOD SPURRIER and PRINCE LOU!

No wonder Clemson kicks their asses each year. Easy to get up for those coots :)

Well, I thought it was alright but I probably won't go back. They got loud considering the open endzone and corners but nowhere near as loud as JHS as confirmed by an SC fan sitting behind me who went last year. Met some nice people but there were some jerks too(a whole lot more than I expected from a fan base that should be pretty humble). The stadium is nice but it really gives you an idea of how good we have it with JHS and also how much steeper the stands are here in Auburn. Oh yeah, the first down thing is gay.

Show me a stadium with 80k people and no jerks and I'll show you a Billy Graham revival. The no smoking thing IS a joke as it was just put in this year. We'd need the national guard to enforce that one. The cold, dark and rainy conditions 3 rows from the top of WB.... can't help you there... kind of a given. The first down guy? Well he's got a microphone in his face and the ability to make 65k people yell all at one time. He must feel powerful :big: . The fans talking trash after a loss?... stupid and drunk. The vandalizing?... AGAIN even more stupid. I've never been to JHS and I do hope to travel there when the matchup resumes in a few years. I'm sure NOBODY will talk trash to me, call us COOTS like they have here, and God forbid that it rains... I might get cold and wet. As far as Clemson fans explaining our actions here in Columbia?... give their stadium a try... no jerks there. :blink:

And lastly.... the "we should be more humble" thing. I guess we should just expect to lose and be kind and courteous when we do. I'll work on that, but until that comes to be, I'll keep blindly cheerin' my Gamecocks to be what I hope to see as a force in the SEC East.

I guess we should just expect to lose and be kind and courteous when we do.

What have you done to expect otherwise in your 100+ years of football?

Overall, I had a good experience. My cousin (a recent SC grad) lives in Columbia and I went to the game with him and some other Auburn folks.

I had lunch in Columbia before the game (and was, of course, wearing bright orange), and people were pretty nice. We had a couple welcome us to Columbia.

I didn't like the way the stadium was so far from the campus. I spent the whole day in Columbia and it never really felt like I was in a college town...only got a couple of peeks at the campus as we were driving around. I agree w/ the person who said that kind of made it feel like an NFL game. And twenty bucks for parking was pricey. We tailgated beforehand with a combination of Auburn fans and SC fans. Before the game, I thought the SC fans were kind of neutral. No one was rude to me, but not many people went out of their way to be friendly either (except when my cousin ran into some folks he knew...they were all nice to me).

I thought the stadium looked nice from the outside, and decent inside. We were in the upper-deck endzone with other Auburn fans. Agree with the others about the tiny "jumbo"-tron. And the annoying factor of the "Another Carolina...FIRST DOWN!" I was impressed w/ how loud the SC fans were. Thought they represented themselves well. There were some SC fans mixed in with the AU fans where I was, and everyone got along well. We cheered for AU, and they cheered for SC, and no one really talked any smack to the other side or acted like jerks or anything. And no one left when it started raining...everyone was definitely going to see how it came out.

After the game, none of them said much to me. My cousin and I drank a couple of beers while we waited for the traffic to clear out a little.

So like I said, overall, I thought it was good, not great. I'd go back if my cousin is still in town, but if he isn't there, I wouldn't make a special point of returning.

Thanks to the Gamecoks who were nice while I was there, and good luck w/ the rest of your season.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I had no problems with the fans before, during or after the game. Most that I saw were supporting their team, talking a little trash early and late, and then were pleasant after the game. Nothing untoward at all.

Like tigereyes said, getting to and around inside the stadium was not optimum.

Pregame, Liger and I ate dinner at California Dreamin' (I recommend the filet medallions and fried shrimp) and walked to the stadium. The area immeduiately adjacent to the stadium is much too cramped, especially after the game. Traffic wasn't bad after the game, as compared to some other places.

Overall, not the best experience, but not the worst (Starkville) either.

Pregame, me and Liger ate dinner at California Dreamin' (I recommend the filet medaalions and fried shrimp) and walked to the stadium. The area immeduiately adjacent to the stadium is much too cramped, especially after the game. Traffic wasn't bad after the game, as compared to some other places.

I don't even think I want to ask!

I guess we should just expect to lose and be kind and courteous when we do.

What have you done to expect otherwise in your 100+ years of football?

Classy... you sack of trash.

I will say this and leave it at that!

I watched the replay of the game on Sunday, and at the half while the team (Auburn) headed to the locker room, the vast majority of the fans (USuCk) were shooting the "We are #1" at the Tigers. It was easy to point out, cause they were all doing it! I know it's just a minor jesture, but hey.................it puts it all in perspective. Vandalism+theft=USuCk!

they have a major in it

I had a great time. Parked about 1/4 mile from the stadium on the main road (can't remember the name) headed in the direction of post game traffic. Met some great AU students early in the morning, sat with them for a while before they moved closer to the stadium. Next, we invited an young AU couple to join us (we had shade, I'll explain) they were alot of fun. Then as the day went on more friends found us.

We parked around 9 a.m. on the side of the road in front of a business/ warehouse. One of the guys came out and talked to us, he was a Clemson fan, he said several of the employees were upset that there were AU people in there "front yard". Later he came out and asked if we would like to borrow a pop up tent and some chairs, of course we accepted since it was getting very warm. He was leaving work at 3 p.m. so he later came out and parked one of there LARGE box truck so that it would provide us with the shade he was taking away. Good guy.

We apparently were tailgating in an area where USC fans have been for 20 YEARS! Oh well, they should have gotten there earlier. We were just up the street from Bernies Roasted Style Chicken. This seemed to be their equivalent to Momma Goldbergs. Everyone goes there, lots of picture of people who have visited. That's some GREAT chicken.

The stadium has a good look to it from the inside and out in my opinion but I don't like the fact that it seems to be four seperate buildings. I like to walk in and walk around the stadium but you don't seem to be able to do that. We were in the upper deck, 502 row 33. The view was fine. We were able to see everything but we couldn't hear the loud? speakers very well.

I thought the train cars outside for tailgateing were really cool. Spitcup, wha tis the significants of the caboose? Are those for BIG donors?

I did not like the tailgating/ cars so close to the stadium. the foot traffic stoped when we were trying to leave becasue of cars trying to leave the same area.

I went with the boys and we all had a really good time. And I have to say that I would rate the women toward the top of the SEC, below AU of course.

Archived