Tre Smith Vents

LegalEagle

Not cool to speak poorly of the players; not cool to speak poorly of the fans either?

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill....xml&coll=1

"About 99 percent of what goes on the fans don't know about," Smith said. "All they know about is the game on Saturday. If we get down by a few points, they leave and it's like our team stinks. Fans are fans. I don't blame them. If I was a fan, I'd be the same way. I'd go watch my team, and if they started to lose in the third quarter, I would leave.

"To them, we're just here to entertain them. To us, it's our job and our life. We work hard. People don't know what we do year-round, how hard we work. Fans really don't know what goes on."

I don't disagree about the knowledge of the fans, but I don't agree that AU fans leave when we get down by a few points and that our fans think our team stinks.

It seems that at least one of our players is frustrated. Maybe frustration will be converted into aggressive execution this Saturday.

I've never seen anything like this from an AU player. Thoughts, anyone?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Players and coaches better get over a win or a loss a lot quicker," Tuberville said. "Fans don't have anything to do but read and talk about it. They have nothing to take their minds off of it. "

100% correct

How'd I know this was coming . . .

Remember, players are just college kids, not publicists or politicians . . . They don't think about / appreciate how the statements they make will play in the newspapers. Nothing to get excited about here, in my mind. Move on.

that's it tre, we have no idea what you do. :rolleyes:

What this young man may be failing to realize is that people don't leave when the team is down a 'few' points, fans leave when the team is playing like crap, showing no desire or will to win, and is down 3 scores to a team that they should be hammering into the ground.

but hey, if i were in his shoes, i'd say the same thing. maybe it's reverse psychology, he's trying the jedi mind trick on us.

No, FANS don't leave. Real fans don't leave that is.

REAL Fans stand behing their team. Unless you've got a 6 hour drive ahead of you, there's no reaon you shouldn't be letting our players know that YOU think its great to be an Auburn Tiger, regardless of how mad you are at the outcome.

I HATE the mass exodus, and I think Tre wants you to know that it affects the players morale as well.

The Auburn family should be above this.

REAL Fans stand behing their team. Unless you've got a 6 hour drive ahead of you, there's no reaon you shouldn't be letting our players know that YOU think its great to be an Auburn Tiger, regardless of how mad you are at the outcome.

I HATE the mass exodus, and I think Tre wants you to know that it affects the players morale as well.

I Stayed till the bitter end last week just like I will stay to the end this week no matter what the outcome.

Yea... Real Fans do stay - I stayed til the end. But he's right - most of the "fans' at the game are fairweather and will only complain after a loss.

A buddy of mine did nothing but complain about how classless Tubs was this week - speaking of the Cigar game and Fear the Thumb, tho he never mentioned any of this while we were winning.

There was a guy in the stands sitting infront of me and he just didn't understand some of the plays. They were all like "call timeout! Tre Smith is in!" When we tried the trick play with him - no one saw that it was supposed to be a pass, they just figured Tre sucked at running.

There are indeed a lot of Auburn fans that are spoiled and always expect Auburn to win and if they don't they like to complain about it. Tre is right - the players try their best and most people don't realize all the hard work they put into it. Tre may not be the best player in the world, but he is certainly better than everyone else in the stands.

Players make mistakes and some fans can't seem to forget that. Coaches get outcoached and some fans can't seem to forget that.

I remember one of the worst games I ever saw Auburn play was in the mid 90's against Miss State. I think State shut us out that day if I remember correctly. What made me more upset than getting beat was Auburn was never in the game and never looked as if they cared about being in the game.

It was a horrible day and even with the team sucking wind I sat there till the end with my dad. One day when my dad passes on I'll probably remember that moment among many others.

Anyone else here at that game?

WDE,

Michael

I remember one of the worst games I ever saw Auburn play was in the mid 90's against Miss State. I think State shut us out that day if I remember correctly. What made me more upset than getting beat was Auburn was never in the game and never looked as if they cared about being in the game.

It was a horrible day and even with the team sucking wind I sat there till the end with my dad. One day when my dad passes on I'll probably remember that moment among many others.

Anyone else here at that game?

WDE,

Michael

Yup. Same here - me and my father. At some point in the game (I think it was 10-0 MSU, 4th Q) we have the ball at around the 5-yard line. He turns to me and says "well, I guess we're finally going to score". Our guy fumbles the ball, MSU defender picks it up and runs 95 yards for a TD. He says he'll never forget the look I gave him. Good times. :lol:

Agreed. I have NEVER left a game early.

When the game is out of hand, win or lose, most facing a long drive home would like to get a jump on the traffic. They can't walk to their bedrooms from the stadium like the players can.

I don't think the fans cause us to lose any game. The fans are not the answer to last week's loss.

We have our fair weather fans, our drunks, our jerks, but on average, we have a great fan base when compared with others.

It's not right to jump on the players or the coaches OR the fans. Who feels worse than the players and coaches after a loss?

Realistically, many fans live vicarously through the AU football team. Losses hurt them much more than they should.

My dollar says that what is said by fans, players and coaches outside of the media's "ears" would shock most of us.

Now, THE BOTTOM LINE IS we need to quit wearing that stupid orange in the stands, and wear our BLUE like we should. Then we'd turn things around! *grin*

WAR DAMN EAGLE

GO BIG BLUE!!!

When the game is out of hand, win or lose, most facing a long drive home would like to get a jump on the traffic. They can't walk to their bedrooms from the stadium like the players can.

I don't think the fans cause us to lose any game. The fans are not the answer to last week's loss.

We have our fair weather fans, our drunks, our jerks, but on average, we have a great fan base when compared with others.

It's not right to jump on the players or the coaches OR the fans. Who feels worse than the players and coaches after a loss?

Realistically, many fans live vicarously through the AU football team. Losses hurt them much more than they should.

My dollar says that what is said by fans, players and coaches outside of the media's "ears" would shock most of us.

Now, THE BOTTOM LINE IS we need to quit wearing that stupid orange in the stands, and wear our BLUE like we should. Then we'd turn things around! *grin*

WAR DAMN EAGLE

GO BIG BLUE!!!

Go big blue? What are you, some kind of closet wolverine fan?

Thank you. I'm glad we now have the definition of what a "Real Fan" is. I guess you are all right and the 50,000 or so who were gone by the end just have no clue what the true meaning of the words "Real fan" is. You've got to be kidding. That same thing would occur in every stadium, pro or college, in every city across America. Fortunately, beatdowns like that do not happen in JH very often. But, I don't recall any of them where the same exodus didn't take place.

Guess what guys, there were literally hundreds of tickets available for free just at the entance I went in the stadium. There were empty seats all around me and it was obvious that we weren't even close to capacity. I guess those that stayed home in the first place aren't "Real fans" either. They have no right to spend their time, money and effort to load up the car, make arrangements for kids, drive sometimes several hours to Auburn displaying their colors and yell like crazy for their alma mater. Just stay home. You've disgraced your University and the players by leaving a beatdown early the week before. All 50K of you.

...I'm not sure he should be running his mouth. He better enjoy the fans that do come out and stay, through thick and thin, because once his career is over at Auburn, he'll never touch a football again.

edited out the derogatory comment against the player

ct

Rugby17, don't you think that last post was a bit uncalled for?

It was no more uncalled for than the comments he made about the fans. He failed to recognize and show appreciation for the fans that would travel from all corners of the country to see their beloved Tigers play; Win or lose.

Thank you. I'm glad we now have the definition of what a "Real Fan" is. I guess you are all right and the 50,000 or so who were gone by the end just have no clue what the true meaning of the words "Real fan" is. You've got to be kidding. That same thing would occur in every stadium, pro or college, in every city across America. Fortunately, beatdowns like that do not happen in JH very often. But, I don't recall any of them where the same exodus didn't take place.

Guess what guys, there were literally hundreds of tickets available for free just at the entance I went in the stadium. There were empty seats all around me and it was obvious that we weren't even close to capacity. I guess those that stayed home in the first place aren't "Real fans" either. They have no right to spend their time, money and effort to load up the car, make arrangements for kids, drive sometimes several hours to Auburn displaying their colors and yell like crazy for their alma mater. Just stay home. You've disgraced your University and the players by leaving a beatdown early the week before. All 50K of you.

I love the passion AUE, but I'm not sure I got the point. You didn't go to school at UA per chance? :poke:

WAR DAMN EAGLE

GO BIG BLUE!!!

Go big blue? What are you, some kind of closet wolverine fan?

"Go Blue" and "Go Big Blue" was a very common yell in the stands in my days at Auburn. It was expecially used when we were on defense. I have never heard "Go Orange" or "Go Big Orange" except at UT games. It should be obvious that if we want to win, the fans should be wearing their Blue as God intended! :ut: is orange; :au: is blue; :uf: sux.

Now, you know the rest of the story. :o

Mod Edit: Read the rules. Do not dog the players.

This post is tastless on so many levels I can't even get to them all. For one thing, bud, if Tre never sets foot on the field again, he will always be remembered for his performance against UA his freshman year. He also has fought through injuries and stuck with this team for five years. What have you done for this team besides sit on your butt and criticize them? Sounds a bit like a fairweather fan to me.

I'm sure most of us on this board are the type fans that DO stay around until the bitter end no matter how the game goes(not that anyone would admit if they weren't). Put yourself in his shoes for a minute, how about it. You have sweated and bled and basically given your life over to this program for the last five years. You've been the hero, but you've also been slammed by losers that don't know anything about you. To top it off, the first time our team gets behind, they look in the stands and see an avalanche of "fans" running out of the gate. Don't you think that would get you a little frustrated, too. Everybody has done a great job all week of calling out individual players and coaches who didn't do a good job on Saturday. Now, when a player returns the favor to the fans, you're going to whine about it and call him no talent and say he has no future?

xxxx

edited out the original derogatory comment against the player and the personal insult to the poster.

i know we're upset over the loss, fellas, but let's keep it as above board as possible.

ct

Is it just me, or do I sense a little bit of frustration from both the fans and the TEAM? There is a real good CURE for this problem. It is available @ 6:45 central time @ JH on Saturday evening.

I plan to be there for the remedy.

Is it just me, or do I sense a little bit of frustration from both the fans and the TEAM? There is a real good CURE for this problem. It is available @ 6:45 central time @ JH on Saturday evening.

I plan to be there for the remedy.

WORD!

:thumbsup:

Archived