Pathetic!

C-villetiger1

For those of us who grew up in the 70s, most of the last 25 years has been some enjoyable territory. It doesn't seem that long ago that when I looked at the schedule there were certain games that I mentally marked down as a probable loss. It's been a pretty long while since I had reason to feel that way. The years where that's the case are now anomalies rather than normalities.

It's a symptom of how far Auburn's come since the "days that shall not return" that some of us are more concerned with how the team won than if the team won.

Ditto :yes:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the disappointment comes from people over-estimating the talent level and coaching schemes of our team. We're a team with definite weak spots, such as Center, WR, and maybe even one CB spot. Also, our DE's are very hot-cold with the pass rush. We also lack dynamic playmakers at positions like DL or QB. We're the kind of team that either matches up with other teams with our smaller/faster players or we don't (Arkansas pounded us on both sides). That being said, overall I think AU has a talented, well-coached team, I just don't think our team is perfection personified like some do every year.

I'm not uspet with the teams performance because I don't think AU has a national championship caliber team this year. I think we could win the SEC with a little luck, but I don't think we have the most talented team or the best schemes necessarily. We have a pretty good team but we are far from a great team, so to expect greatness will only lead to disappointment. We should be happy with what we have been able to accomplish with the team we have.

I think the disappointment comes from people over-estimating the talent level and coaching schemes of our team. We're a team with definite weak spots, such as Center, WR, and maybe even one CB spot. Also, our DE's are very hot-cold with the pass rush. We also lack dynamic playmakers at positions like DL or QB. We're the kind of team that either matches up with other teams with our smaller/faster players or we don't (Arkansas pounded us on both sides). That being said, overall I think AU has a talented, well-coached team, I just don't think are team is perfection personified like some do every year.

I'm not uspet with the teams performance because I don't think AU has a national championship caliber team this year. I think we could win the SEC with a little luck, but I don't think we have the most talented team or the best schemes necessarily. We have a pretty good team but we are from from a great team, so to expect greatness will only lead to disappointment. We should be happy with what we have been able to accomplish with the team we have.

That's not just limited to Auburn this year. Ohio State is the only team really playing "great" right now. If you look around the country everyone is having their individual struggles. Michigan and West Virginia are playing well, but still don't seem completely dominant.

Complaining about only beating an opponent by 25 points sounds like fans of OU, Miami, and USC when they complain that their teams did beat a much weaker opponent by 50-60 points. You know...the ones we all thought were classless for leaving their first string in the whole game to run up the score.

I think the disappointment comes from people over-estimating the talent level and coaching schemes of our team. We're a team with definite weak spots, such as Center, WR, and maybe even one CB spot. Also, our DE's are very hot-cold with the pass rush. We also lack dynamic playmakers at positions like DL or QB. We're the kind of team that either matches up with other teams with our smaller/faster players or we don't (Arkansas pounded us on both sides). That being said, overall I think AU has a talented, well-coached team, I just don't think our team is perfection personified like some do every year.

I'm not uspet with the teams performance because I don't think AU has a national championship caliber team this year. I think we could win the SEC with a little luck, but I don't think we have the most talented team or the best schemes necessarily. We have a pretty good team but we are far from a great team, so to expect greatness will only lead to disappointment. We should be happy with what we have been able to accomplish with the team we have.

I was under the impression that we have had fairly good recruiting classes the last 3-4 years? Is this not true???

I was under the impression that we have had fairly good recruiting classes the last 3-4 years? Is this not true???

RT,

I think Auburn has recruited well, but so have alot of other teams. Sometimes recruits don't live up to expectations or they don't fit into schemes as imagined by the coaches or some schemes just don't work against some teams (see Arkansas 2006).

On a side note regarding recruiting: I think SEC teams used to have a big advantage in talent as recently as the mid-90's, however with every college progam raiding the South Eastern United States for football talent ( look at West Virginia recruiting the Mobile, AL area possibly better than in-state schools), the playing field has been leveled to a large degree. Also, I think the internet has given recruiters unprecedented access to info about recruits which has allowed programs to recruit on a national level like never before. Also, recruits have access to more info when making decesions on where to commit. One last thing is the rise of all the lower-tier programs around Alabama such as UAB and Troy has diluted the talent. All these factors have worked to level the playing field so to speak.

I think we've recruited well, but usually, you work a few guys into the rotation as other people graduate, but we lost two very good tackles, one of which is starting for a good NFL team this season as a rookie and we lost all three of our senior WRs and a senior TE. That is going to affect the passing game no matter how talented the crop coming in is.

Experience seems to be vastly underestimated around here.

I ALREADY SAID IT ONCE IN THIS POSTING OF PESSIMISTS!! WE HAVE A YOUNG TEAM THAT WILL GET BETTER AS THEY GAIN MORE EXPERIENCE. IN THE MEAN TIME, QUIT SOUNDING LIKE BAMMERS (UNCONTENT WITH A WIN). WE ARE STILL #4 IN THE BCS FOR GOD'S SAKE!! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU WERE A PLAYER DOING THE BEST YOU CAN AND READING SOME OF THESE POSTS?? IT WOULD MAKE ME PISSED OFF. SUPPORT OUR TEAM OR FIND ANOTHER!!!!! AND QUIT BEING SO DAMN SPOILED. LIKE SOMEONE SAID EARLIER, A SEASON LIKE '04 COMES BUT ONCE IN A LIFETIME IN THE SEC. REALIZE THE TOUGH TEAMS WE PLAY IN CONFERENCE, UNDERSTAND CFB IS ALL ABOUT EMOTION AND GAINING EXPERIENCE, AND TAKE THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW ON TO OLE MISS - WAR EAGLE!! SOME OF YOU KIDS ON HERE DON'T KNOW CRAP ABOUT FOOTBALL. I HAVE WATCHED AUBURN FOR OVER 40 YEARS AND IF ANY OF YOU COULD HAVE BEEN AROUND WHEN WE LOST 10 YEARS IN A ROW TO BAMA, YOU WOULD KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND BE HAPPY WE ARE 7-1 AND HAVE BEAT BAMA 4 YEARS IN A ROW.

DANG GREENHORNS!!

Everyone who looked at the top BCS teams said out of the top 6 teams Auburn was the only team that didn't struggle. We could have thrown the ball the rest of the game but unless your new to Tubbs he is a little more classier than Spurrier was. Heck we took a knee with a backup Qb in the redzone.

If I'm not mistaken, we ran for over 210 yards with 200 of those yards coming from the third and fourth string tailbacks. How many other schools that played a patsy yesterday can make that claim. We are now on our third center. Depth on the o-line is critical for every team and having two centers hurt would crush most teams. Wide receivers are young and have not stepped up to the plate as quickly as we thought. Db's are struggling but I don't think we will see any qbs the balance of the year as good as the ones we have seen thus far. So far team chemistry has not really developed. We just glimpses of it in the big games but somehow we did not classify arky as one of those. Let's just try to be satisified with what we have - it sure beats the hell out of the other 114 or so teams out there - especially the branch of the northport correctional school in west vance.

Well, glad to see i can still cause some comotion!! :big: But to make one last point. I never had any problem with the points if you look at the original post nowhere in it will you see "we didnt beat tulane by enough points WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA". Which is what a majority of the responses have implied. I did however point out that we played THE EXACT SAME GAME AS WE DID AGAINST UB. No fire no passion!!! And if you look at the OSUs of the world they didnt throw up 150 points but it was eternaly clear that they crushed IU. One apologie that I will make to the board is for not posting this after the UB game. I sat in my car for 3 hours and listened to the game and in my defense if you dont see it with your own eyes it can look however it wants to. With that being said to hear Tulane walking up and down the field made me very upset. If that warrants the entire board name calling me and the like that I have seen in the responses SO BE IT!

Peace!

1. Kenny Irons did not play

2. Tim Duckworth did not play

3. Brad Lester came out very early with an injury

4. Jason Bosley is the 2nd string center and was injured during the game

5. Cole Bennet did not play

6. Carl Stewart did not play

7. A. Savage did not play

8. Tray Blackmon played very little and went out with an injury

9. I repeat what I've quoted many times of Coach Eddie Gran saying during a talk several months ago at our church. Paraphrasing..."We NEED Buffalo, we NEED Tulane and Arky State and WKU and The Citadel etc. These games are our off weeks and our chance to gain experience for young guys, our chance to give our starters and walking wounded some rest. You just can't imagine how brutal the SEC really is."

I'll address the defensive concerns this way. Like others have said, we're 8 games in, this may be as good as it gets. This defense is capable of doing some incredible things as they did against 2 of the top teams in the nation, LSU and UF. It may take that type of game, a crazy fan base behind them and the coach calling them a bunch of bed-wetting mama's boys to get them to play like that. But hey, it's what we've got and we have 4 more games in the regular season to will them through it.

Quick positives.

1. Good reps for Leon Hart, Antoine Daniels, Lorenzo Ferguson, Mike McLaughlin and of course, Ben Tate.

2. Brandon Cox was not touched and he said that was the best the line has played all year. BC's stats were AUsome.

3. Great balance on offense. Over 200 yards both rushing and passing.

4. Just about all of the above who did not play or who played sparingly because of injuries, will be back in full force for the stretch run.

End result: AU 38 and Tulane 13. Mission accomplished.

I'm with this guy. War Eagle!

I agree with several posts on this board. I don't think we are as talented this year as we think we are. I especially see it on the offensive line. Losing McNeil, Reddick, and Cooper Wallace hurt, as does losing Cole Bennett. Both those guys are like extra linemen, and I don't think anyone realized how great Reddick and McNeil were. Those guys could really steamrole defenses. Our young tight ends aren't as big and they don't block as well as Bennett. I've noticed a lot of times our TE's getting pushed back, making it hard for our pulling linemen to get out on the edge and make blocks. I think getting Bennett back will solve some of our problems on offense.

I think our 2004 D was much more talented. Rogers and T. Rob were great d-backs, and let herring play like an extra linebacker much of the time. Brock and Savage are good, but they need time. We have some young and talented d linemen, but they need time as well. I think J. Ricks and S. Marks will both be great players. Groves is a role player. Great pass rusher, but may not have made a run stop this year.

I'm a firm believer that games are won and lost on the line of scrimmage. We are young on the d-line and our o-line is inexperienced even though Dunlap and Palmer are seniors.

I think our team is playing well within their ability and the coaches are coaching within our abilities on offense and defense. We run a lot of defensive packages because we have many role players but are susceptible to the big play.

If i have a complaint about coaching, its on defense and our inability to get off of blocks. It seems to be fundamentals. Poor tackling, not wrapping up, not squaring guys up, not using our hands to get off blocks, not turning people back to the help etc.

I say all that to say, our 2004 team was special. A combination of great players and many play at hte next level. I'm not sure as many players from this team will play in the NFL. We are a good team, but not a great team, even though we've won big games, which I think is a tribute to our coaching staff.

I actually thought that the 2003 team was more talented than the 2004 team, especially on the defensive side of the ball. If Borges had been the OC in 2003, what could have been...

What's "pathetic?"

A. A team that's amassed a record of 7-1, beating two top 5 teams in the process, and is the highest-ranked 1-loss team in the nation; or

B. A "fan" who says they've "done nothing this year?"

You tell me . . . <_<

It's about time to lock this down, isn't it? The "gloom and doomers" aren't going to see eye to eye with the "sunshine pumpers," so there's no need for restating what's already been said.

Guest Tigrinum Major

"I" before "E"except after "C".

Or when pronounced as "a",

As in "neighbor" and "weigh".

And weekends and holidays and all throughout May!

And you'll never be right, no matter what you say!

Archived