THE Difference Between Alabama & Auburn.

DKW 86

This season folks, we have seen the real, everlasting, evermore difference between these two programs. For years it was said that Auburn had far more graduates in their fan base than UAT did. This was probably axiomatic because of the true nature of fanbases.

Can we prove this? I dont know about that, but I can illustrate a huge difference between the two fanbases.

Recently, just before SEC Media Days, there broke a story that showed Auburn academics in a bad light. Auburn was accused of basically having...(hold your breath) a crip course in Sociology. This course was populated by all students and even some 18 students, about 15% of the total students, were Athletes. Auburn's Administration moved quickly to short circuit the smear campaign as it were.

Auburn, as is typical of them, overreacted. They started an investigation. Named a committee. Interviewed hundreds of witnesses. Gathered data.

After considerable information gathering and thought, the committee spoke and released its findings. There were problems at AU....

AU apologized for disgracing and embarassing every AU Diploma holder and then went about to acknowledge that the problems with the class, although very questionable actions, were long ago fixed and corrected. . You know, fixed and corrected as in past tense, before the story was released.

The AU Family over re-acted as alumni, as fans, as students. We over re-acted as Administration and Athletic Department. Imagine, we acted like we actually take going to class and graduating as goals of the Athletic Department and the University as well. The AU Family acted as if we gave a damn!

The AU Family voiced our concerns in papers, on radio shows, on television news etc. We let the world know that we understood that folks were laughing at us and we wanted to fix the problems and get on with life.

Now friends, consider the recent news stories about Alabama and these bogus classes that were invented just to keep athletes eligible. Consider this long and hard, really think about it.

1) Did anyone hear the Alabama fan base get up in arms and question the UAT Administration?

NO! Not a soul did.

2) Did anyone apologize to the graduates/alumni about this embarassing news story?

NO! Were the Alumni actually embarassed is an even better question.

3) Was there a committee formed to look into it?

NO!

4) Did the UAT President Dr. Robert Whitt, address the problem in a news conference as Pres. Richardson did twice for Auburn University?

NO!

In short, while there are likley a few folks upset and embarassed about the stories, the main part of the UAT Family could not care less.

Anyone listening to the radio this week? Anyone read a paper? All you heard/read over and over again was how the win against a horrible FIU team showed that UAT may lose more games. Might lose more games! HHHMMMM, sounds suspiciously like we may have bumped into what the really motivates the Alabama fan base. Winning...all else be damned.

If you have really adaopted a "win at all costs"mentality, chances are it has already cost you your integrity. Friends, at the end of the day, if you dont have any integrity, what do you really have?

I am actually very happy today. You see, as an Auburn man and fan, I now can see with my own two eyes and can hear with my own heart that I am a member of the right family. You see I do care if the kids go to class. I do care if AU has academic integrity. I am also very happy that our Athletic Department and especially our coaching staff are a great fit with our university as well. I know they see things the Auburn Way. I know they live the Auburn Creed. I now can point to and demonstrate what it means to me to be part of the Auburn Family.

DKW 86

WOW ! Brother AU Grad, you said a mouthfull of truth. This is why it has always been great to be an Auburn Tiger. I've been to the UAT campus once. That's one more time than most of their lyal fans. My trip there as a high school sophomore helped me make up my mind to go to Auburn.

The Class of 74 was a great class as are all classes at AU !

I have always taken pride in my education at Auburn. It is after all the reason I went to Auburn: To get an education that is..

I am not from Alabama or Georgia and I will tell you this, outside my network of friends who did grow up in those states I have yet to meet a graduate from Bama that is a fan. Everyone I ask: Did you go to school (notice not graduate) a big resonding NO! Go figure...

My sample survey is about 1200 people that should be enough to show a trend. It is for the Presidential election..

David....great post. iIthink it makes the point I have tried to make over and over. The bammers are a bunch of hypocrits. They love to jump on other people's problems but when it concerns them it is totally different. They choose to stick their heads up their butts and try to ignore reality. I just looked at Crimson Tusks.....there is no mention ot the B'ham News article. To them it just never happened.

I didn't go to school at Auburn.............does that make me any less of a fan?

No, it doesn't.

Very well written, I agree totally as an Auburn man! But 'axiomatic'... I had to look that one up.

Good point David. I think the vast majority of Auburn grads do take our educations and diplomas seriously, and we were rightly upset by an attack on Auburn's academic integrity.

But to play Devil's advocate, I would say that it is a little unfair to compare the situations b/c our "scandal" was splashed all over the New York Times, which is probably still the nation's leading newspaper. Why, exactly, the class merited such attention is certainly a good question, but the fact is that Auburn needed to respond quickly and overreact b/c the story got so much exposure.

Obviously our situation was blown out of proportion. Maybe if our situation had not recieved so much publicity, we would not have felt the need to defend it to such a degree...

I didn't go to school at Auburn.............does that make me any less of a fan?

No.

I did not go to Auburn either.

But, I do care about the academic issues and was glad know that something was done about it.

What does this go to show, that even the non-Auburn grad fans like us, are concerned with the University as a whole as opposed to just whether the football team wins or looses?

War Eagle!

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd...Bamar has a MUCH larger percentage of rednecks! As much as I loved him...my own father was one of them.... :)

:au::homer:

No.

But you know the way down there. :cheer:

No.

I once gave directions to a "fan" of west vance. He was going down to Auburn to see AU throttle his "team". I simply told him to head south on 280 and "Follow the Angels".

No.

:) Yes.

:big:

Can you spell AUBURN?

Better than most Bammers! Tuskalusa!

Find AUBURN on a map?

Better than most Bammers! No Sir I am sorry but that is Gordo.........Next!

I am class of 98, my wife did not attent AUBURN but she is the first to yell WAR EAGLE on Gameday! Oh and she can sing the fight song!

Archived