Shula question

auburnu008

If Bammer loses the next 2 weeks and finishes up at 6-6 do you think Shula will be fired? I seriously hope not.

why would anyone want that, they are back, and have won more quarters than any team in the SEC.

if we lose the next 2?? maybe you haven't heard, but we just lost to MSU. i don't think there's much if to it.

i think the jury is still out on what to do with him this season, but if next season is a failure then i say definitely he needs to go. he needs to come to the realization that he is in no way, shape, or form anything even resembling a competent play caller and needs to let go.

They Will be The BEST 6-6 Team in the Country.... Remembering all those MNC that they won in the PAST!!!!! and the 6 losses will be Moral Victories...

winscrimsom and runswithscissors.......hats off to you for coming after a bitter loss and facing the flak.

Let me second that.

I do have a question for one or both of you though. Do you think that now, Moore and the BOT/Alumni would be able to put the pressure on Shula to find a more competent OC, or are they giving him just enough rope to hang himself?

BTW, not flaming. I just remember the same thing happening at Auburn twice within the last 15 years.

winscrimsom and runswithscissors.......hats off to you for coming after a bitter loss and facing the flak.

Let me second that.

I do have a question for one or both of you though. Do you think that now, Moore and the BOT/Alumni would be able to put the pressure on Shula to find a more competent OC, or are they giving him just enough rope to hang himself?

BTW, not flaming. I just remember the same thing happening at Auburn twice within the last 15 years.

Thirds from me!

Let me second that.

Thirds from me!

Fourths is mine!

Fire Shula? Why would they? ...just over a week ago, Bama's President Witt was saying:

Witt said that in current head coach Mike Shula's four seasons leading the Tide, he has seen a big return to the ways of the man many just call "the Bear."

"[bryant] conducted himself as a coach and the team behaved under his leadership in a very special way," Witt said. "Alabama under coach Bryant and under coach Shula is exactly the same. :blink: It is a program that has class, wins, but in the right way, and I think that has set a tone for the entire University."

http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2...1c?in_archive=1

Let me second that.

Thanks, guys. I still think the sun is going to come up tommorrow in T-Town. Key word: think.

As for Moore and coaching changes. I think that President Witt, despite the academic advances that the school is making, likes where we are as a football program. He's very academic oriented and doesn't want football to reign supreme under his watch. Wit Witt at the helm, I'm not so sure that you'll ever see a program that demands accountability and excellence on the gridiron. The pointy heads like us winning 8 or so every year, going to a bowl every year, beating :au: and :ut: on occasion... but never wanting us to be a consistent player in the national title race. Witt is in charge of Moore, so if we were to make a coaching change, I'm afraid it wouldn't be a proven winner such as a Nick Saban or Butch Davis. I actually don't think that we will be making any coaching changes at season's end - although Dave Rader, Mike Shula, and Bob Connelly should have as much business running our offense as Michael Jackson does a daycare center. Witt's only been here at UA for 4 or so years, so hopefully I've got him pegged wrong. But I'm sure he loves Shula for the reasons I've already stated (decent 7 win consistency, family guy, good name, no Pricesque screwups, etc).

Being totally honest, we're a solid 3-4 years behind you guys due to a number of factors (not solely probation by any stretch). Granted, a competent coaching staff would help us to catch up. But I don't believe that bringing in a Saban would snap AU's current streak - but it would definitely be a step in the right direction. Look, I've cut Shula slack every time I've cast my line. I think he's done a decent job with what he's got. For example, we had 4 walk-ons on defense when :ut: scored the game winning TD against us 2 weeks ago. 4! It's going to be tough to win with that. However, he's shown me too much vanilla in too many areas. Today, during his post-game interview he never... not once mentioned the fact that we just went out and got whipped by a program that should never beat us. He talked about how "The TE slipped in the endzone" and how "We're banged up" instead of "Gee, they just lined up and beat us in our own house." The bottom line is we didn't get the job done. I don't think accepting responsibility ever entered his mind. That is what tells me that we've got to go in a different direction.

Roll Tide as always!

Being totally honest, we're a solid 3-4 years behind you guys due to a number of factors (not solely probation by any stretch). Granted, a competent coaching staff would help us to catch up. But I don't believe that bringing in a Saban would snap AU's current streak - but it would definitely be a step in the right direction.

In the long run, that might be the way the Shula period is remembered--a period immediately after sanctions/Franchione/Price in which the CMS helped stabilize the boat, but also stagnated for 3-4 years without growing beyond that stage. Every year he makes no progress is another potential rebuilding year wasted.

Without any smack intended whatsoever, I wonder: If Bama didn't have a reliable place kicker, if field goals were questionable, would that have forced the coaches to use a more aggresive offensive strategy over the last year?

One positive for you, though: I don't expect you to see Presdient Witt, Mal Moore, and two trustees flying off in a Colonial Bank jet to Louisville behind Shula's back...just yet.

Without any smack intended whatsoever, I wonder: If Bama didn't have a reliable place kicker, if field goals were questionable, would that have forced the coaches to use a more aggresive offensive strategy over the last year?

I don't think our staff would have used a more aggresive strategy over any circumstances. We knew we weren't going to win the west this year. We knew this would be a growing year with a few losses. We came into the UF and UT games as an underdog, knowing we probably wouldn't win. If that's not enough incentive to take serious chances to win the games, I don't know what is. Shula is a percentage guy. He'll live and die by the percentages. It worked last year. This year.....not so much.

I don't think our staff would have used a more aggresive strategy over any circumstances. We knew we weren't going to win the west this year. We knew this would be a growing year with a few losses. We came into the UF and UT games as an underdog, knowing we probably wouldn't win. If that's not enough incentive to take serious chances to win the games, I don't know what is. Shula is a percentage guy. He'll live and die by the percentages. It worked last year. This year.....not so much.

But that begs the question: WAS/IS this a "growing year", or basically stand still year? Has any growing been done, or are you about where you were 12 months ago, or even have you taken a step backward since 8-0?

But that begs the question: WAS/IS this a "growing year", or basically stand still year? Has any growing been done, or are you about where you were 12 months ago, or even have you taken a step backward since 8-0?

This SHOULD have been a growing year. We have a cream puff filled OOC schedule. We played Vandy, Ole Miss and Miss St. at home. We should have been up enough in those games to get our younger guys some playing time. That hasn't happened.

To answer your question bluntly, we just got spanked by a team that just registered it's first SEC win of the year, it's first SEC road game win in 5-6 years, and to top it off, we allowed them to have their first individual 100 yard rushing game of the year. We are further behind where than we were 12 months ago. 12 months ago, we were 9-0, ranked in the top 5, and even though we had an overtime loss to LSU and a spanking coming from AU, we still had a good season to springboard us into recruiting. This year is a different story. If nothing else, we just gave the school located the closest to us, recruiting fuel. Croom for President.

If Bammer loses the next 2 weeks and finishes up at 6-6 do you think Shula will be fired? I seriously hope not.

He gets one more year, tops -- provided he gets a new OC and lets the guy be the OC. Remember when CTT was forced to dump Mazonne & Leavett? Similar situation, although Shulla better recognize that his meddling is part of the problem. If he just replaces Rader and continues to call plays as usual, he may find himself managing that restaurant faster than you can say "Brick! Duck!"

Let me second that.

Thanks, guys. I still think the sun is going to come up tommorrow in T-Town. Key word: think.

As for Moore and coaching changes. I think that President Witt, despite the academic advances that the school is making, likes where we are as a football program. He's very academic oriented and doesn't want football to reign supreme under his watch. Wit Witt at the helm, I'm not so sure that you'll ever see a program that demands accountability and excellence on the gridiron. The pointy heads like us winning 8 or so every year, going to a bowl every year, beating :au: and :ut: on occasion... but never wanting us to be a consistent player in the national title race. Witt is in charge of Moore, so if we were to make a coaching change, I'm afraid it wouldn't be a proven winner such as a Nick Saban or Butch Davis. I actually don't think that we will be making any coaching changes at season's end - although Dave Rader, Mike Shula, and Bob Connelly should have as much business running our offense as Michael Jackson does a daycare center. Witt's only been here at UA for 4 or so years, so hopefully I've got him pegged wrong. But I'm sure he loves Shula for the reasons I've already stated (decent 7 win consistency, family guy, good name, no Pricesque screwups, etc).

Being totally honest, we're a solid 3-4 years behind you guys due to a number of factors (not solely probation by any stretch). Granted, a competent coaching staff would help us to catch up. But I don't believe that bringing in a Saban would snap AU's current streak - but it would definitely be a step in the right direction. Look, I've cut Shula slack every time I've cast my line. I think he's done a decent job with what he's got. For example, we had 4 walk-ons on defense when :ut: scored the game winning TD against us 2 weeks ago. 4! It's going to be tough to win with that. However, he's shown me too much vanilla in too many areas. Today, during his post-game interview he never... not once mentioned the fact that we just went out and got whipped by a program that should never beat us. He talked about how "The TE slipped in the endzone" and how "We're banged up" instead of "Gee, they just lined up and beat us in our own house." The bottom line is we didn't get the job done. I don't think accepting responsibility ever entered his mind. That is what tells me that we've got to go in a different direction.

Roll Tide as always!

If Witt is as you say, an academic at Bama, he better get that football team winning soon or he will be gone faster than you can say "Joab Thomas." The GOBs at Bama will get rid of him asap if he thinks he will just get by with a so-so fotball team.

I have a question for the Alabama fans. This is a serious question. My brother in law swears that Alabama does not give scholarships to sign the kickers. Once they walk on, they can earn a scholarship. This just doesn't sound right. Is that true?

A couple of plays here & there & Alabama would be undefeated. Things just haven't gone there way. That just how it goes sometimes.

Of course, since their wins over Vandy, Duke, and Ole Miss were all one score margins, a few plays here & there and they could be 3-7.

Let me second that.

sorry for the late reply, i was highly intoxicated last night :)

i'm not sure what their deal is, but at the end of the season something is going to have to happen. this season is gonna fly with the alumni about as well as a fart in church. we lost to MSU and we will undoubtedly lose to AU for the 5th year in a row. shula needs to let go of his ego and turnover the playcalling period. its so aggrivating seeing the wheels spin when there is so much talent on the team. its really going to waste. also what is going to waste is good coaching talent. they have got to get out of the mindset of only hiring folks that came from UA. so much talent is being overlooked. as usual they always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot. if LSU or AU loses to us, they should be thoroughly embarassed. :no:

I actually don't think that we will be making any coaching changes at season's end - although Dave Rader, Mike Shula, and Bob Connelly should have as much business running our offense as Michael Jackson does a daycare center.

win, my hat is off to you and the other uat posters on this thread for being candid and honest. Sorry if we come across to "biased" at times, but I know you are feeling the pain today.

I nominate this quote as quote of the year from a site-member that is from an opposing school.

Archived