Bammers split on if......

TrojanTiger13

Is it really a ghetto? You must be thinking about another place other than where I go to school. Love Alabama or hate Alabama, that is a beautiful campus.

I lived in Northport for a few months with my best friend that played baseball at UAT. He was done with baseball when I was living with him, but he was still in school finishing up on his degree. I was down there helping him and a former UAT football player start a church on the strip. So, I think I can speak of things relating to the this subject.

UAT's campus itself is not ghetto. It is not a bad campus at all. It is too spread out, but that is just the way it developed and it is hard to just go back and redo it. Alot of other college campuses is spread out like that also. The Naval Academy in Annapolis comes to mind, but the surrounding community is outstanding. However, the problem with the UAT campus is once you step off campus, it goes downhill fast. The strip itself is nasty and BDS is probably the best looking thing surrounding the area it is in. You really don't get into anything that looks nice until you start getting on McFarland close to University Mall and heading down towards I-20/59. Once you go past McFarland Mall, there is not much past that either. Basically, Tuscaloosa is a crappy town surrounding a decent looking campus. It makes me think of Augusta, Georgia. You have Ft. Gordon, which did a TDY at, and Augusta National Golf Course surrounding by the nasty rundown town of Augusta. Just blew my mind how such a prestigious golf course could be surrounding by so much crap.

Even my friend who went to UAT has commented several times that he wishes the UAT campus was laid out like Auburn. He liked the "Mayberry" feel of the town and he did not mean that in a condescending way. Of course, we were both country boys that grew up on a farm (UAT friend was also my "neighbor"...as in his dad's pasture connected to our pasture).

Is it really a ghetto? You must be thinking about another place other than where I go to school. Love Alabama or hate Alabama, that is a beautiful campus.

Dude. I am being as completely objective as I can. That is one BUTT UGLY campus. It's a hodgepodge of buildings poorly laid out. Can't really tell where the town begins and the campus ends. It's Chelsea Clinton, Sandra Bernhard ugly.

I don't mean that as smack at all. It's just ugly.

[quote name='CircleDrill'

You claim UA is "way too spread out." Yet, AU is actually bigger in area.

Well, you have to take in account one big thing with that fact. AU's campus is statistically bigger as far as area goes because of the fact the Agriculture School has alot of pasture land that is probably included in those figures. I may be wrong, but that would be my bet. I have been on both campuses and walked them and as far as getting to and from the main building and dorms on campus, UAT is far more spread out then the AU campus is.

Another nice campus is Samford in B'ham. I attended Boy's State there back in 1991 and they had just finished their new cottage-like dorms and we were actually the first to get to stay in them. Those were sweet and I like how the campus is all in one spot and has that secluded feel to it. Of course it is private and they have the money to do such things.

Again, I can't see how you guys say its spread out when your campus is 700 acres bigger. I've heard fans from both schools claim that both campuses are too spread out and disagree with both notions. I walk the UA campus every day and I'm never tired. Maybe some of y'all need to hit up our sparkling new rec center sometime! ;)

The Strip isn't necessarily our strong point, I agree. Yet, how long is the actual area referred to as "the Strip?" It's hardly even a blip on the radar screen in comparison to the length of the entire University Blvd. And ranger, 2 buildings (nearly half) of the Strip has been purchased by a developer who's coming in to build a hotel that will be similar to what they have Vandy... as in, a view into the stadium from the top floors. That's not even touching on the new condos that are currently being built on the Strip. You can't say that the entire city of Tuscaloosa is a dump because of 1/10 of a mile at most.

McFarland Mall is on the opposite side of University Blvd from the Strip. To get to McFarland, you'd go past BDS on the plaza/Denny Chimes side and through the heart of campus. I imagine Stevie Wonder could even recognize the beauty of the structures that line that route.

Perhaps they will arrange for one of George Wallace's descendants to stand under the Tiger Walk banner and block the way ?

I can't believe nobody said anything about this post. I'm still laughing.

Lets not try to act like Denny Chimes is some amazing structure. It's a brick stick in the ground. Its not pretty, its not anything. We could stick a bell tower on top of the smoke stack at Auburn and you have basically the same thing.

Lets not try to act like Denny Chimes is some amazing structure. It's a brick stick in the ground. Its not pretty, its not anything. We could stick a bell tower on top of the smoke stack at Auburn and you have basically the same thing.

LOL!!! I love that post! I didn't mean to start anything about my post, about UAT being or being in

the ghetto, but the times I've been unfortunate enough to find myself anywhere near there, I find myself

comparing their campus to ours and their home town to ours, and that's how I see it measuring up/down.

Maybe nowhere compares favorably, IMHO, to Auburn, but to me T-Town is the pits.

WAR DAMN EAGLE! and let's get out there with a WIN!! BEAT BAMA!!! :cheer::au::cheer:

I only recall some friends that lived across the street from BDS. There was a graveyard across from BDS as well and once you turned down the street beside the graveyard, it was certainly ghetto. The buses used to run into the area on gameday and it was the first area Whitt cleaned up after getting to campus.

Dude. I am being as completely objective as I can. That is one BUTT UGLY campus. It's a hodgepodge of buildings poorly laid out. Can't really tell where the town begins and the campus ends. It's Chelsea Clinton, Sandra Bernhard ugly.

I don't mean that as smack at all. It's just ugly.

Brigadier General John T. Croxton tried to do the world a favor back in 1865 by burning it to the ground. This stands as the only burning the Union did during the War Between the States that brings a smile to my face.

Brigadier General John T. Croxton tried to do the world a favor back in 1865 by burning it to the ground. This stands as the only burning the Union did during the War Between the States that brings a smile to my face.

Nice pick up.

Whether tuscalooser is beautiful or ugly is all in the eyes of the beholder. We all know everyone in tuscalooser wears crimson glasses so you can't expect them to be objective. Fortunately I don't ever have to go there. But my oldest daughter did graduate from bammer (yes we still speak on occassion) so I made a few trips there. The campus is OK but I think the town is the pits. But then I am biased too.

On the other hand there have been several of those listings you find in magazines from time to time about good and bad places to live. Among small towns tuscalooser was often in the top 10 worst places. I can't provide a link because I haven't seen one in awhile but I'm sure if anyone really cares you could find some of those in archives. On the other hand, Auburn was recently rated the #1 place in the country for new business start-ups with the school, environment, recreation, etc., taken into account.

But what does this have to do with Tiger Walk?

Archived